• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I particularly care about Bernie's taxes but "We can't find them" is like the silliest reason not to release the tax returns and that's what Jane just said.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Seriously when you work with lots of white people and live with lots of white people who constantly shit on Deblasio for making the city LESS SAFE and flooding with homeless people when every statistic says exactly the opposite, it just grates on you to see people take whatever opportunity they can to shit on him despite all the good he does for lower income residents both white and black and other in this city.

Seeing him attacked from the left is nauseating. Ask for an apology, but pretending he is a racist is really eating your own.

Seriously when you work with lots of white people and live with lots of white people who constantly shit on Deblasio for making the city LESS SAFE and flooding with homeless people when every statistic says exactly the opposite, it just grates on you to see people take whatever opportunity they can to shit on him despite all the good he does for lower income residents both white and black and other in this city.

Seeing him attacked from the left is nauseating. Ask for an apology, but pretending he is a racist is really eating your own.
You're allowed no fuck ups.

Except when your dude votes on a bill he then uses to attack his opponent for supporting

NeoXChaos

We must be really bored if we still trying to figure out math for Sanders magically winning. Lets get back to focusing on the real race and that is Trump Vs Cruz.

Iolo

Not that I particularly care about Bernie's taxes but "We can't find them" is like the silliest reason not to release the tax returns and that's what Jane just said.

IRMess. At least Hillary knows where her incriminating emails are.

Plot twist: they forgot to file for 2015 in all the excitement.

You could add our shadow involvement in creating the modern Middle East to fight communism, or that we are the ones who trained and equipped Afghanistan to fight Russia (and then had those weapons used against us and the Afghan population). You could also add our involvement in Central America and South America in empowering dictators there.

The problem is that ok; you go in and protect the citizens. If you stay (especially in areas where we are not particularly well liked); you end up having situations like Iraq or Afghanistan (which is slowly reverting back to where it was); if you leave - you end up with Libya or Egypt; if you try the aerial thing - you may get Kosovo or you may get Syria. The real issue is this weird belief that you can fix decades or centuries of instability and cultural, social, geographic, political, etc issues just because we got the biggest fucking guns. Congratulations. That does jack shit unless you're going to take over the country for good for a long ass time.

Think of a local version - Chicago. At some points; Chicago was having more killings per day than Baghdad. The equivalent of your response would be to send the US military into Chicago, kick everyone in power out, and then "fix" things in some magical way. But we know Chicago's issues are systemic, and rooted in decades of issues. No one thinks it's odd that when the closest thing an American city has had to a dictator (Mayor Daley) left, Chicago went to hell in a handbasket? Sound familiar to anyone?

You cannot fix long-term problems with quick fix solutions.

What are you talking about leaving in Egypt ? There was never an occupation there, and the uprising really has very little to do with the US besides the standard " We urge peace" or " Step down" . The guy there was kicked out because of the Arab Spring. You kind of have a point during the times of the Cold War, but the US policy then was to fight Communism were ever so any and all goals was to get rid of it and stop the spread regardless of the later repercussions. I think you are making some mistakes with the examples. Besides Egypt, Syria was started because of the Arab Spring and the air campaign happened 3 years later and it is solely to fight ISIS, and we pulled out of Iraq and then went back in because of ISIS.

In some of those examples the goal isn't necessary is to fix anything. Libya,Syria, Kosovo there was no fix, the intervention was to stop. After that the people there decides their future or whatever. That was suppose to happen in Libya, but that failed. Again the issue I see is doing the post intervention right, each place has done it differently after the intervention, but there were many issues. Again the solutions are not appearing especially in a Rwanda or ISIS situation. Unless the solution is to not get involved . The original argument I was making is how do you go about intervening in a scenario that can turn to a Rwanda one that happens by not getting involved. Should we or should we not? If we should how exactly do you do it? If you want peace in the world how would you stop genocides from happening? If we shouldn't well are you willing to deal with the deaths of thousands?

The Chicago example is pretty stupid. Unless the mayor was actively causing genocide and there was an actual war going on with killings caused by the government/terrorists hands I would see it being comparable. The fact there is a lot of murders is not even the reason to get involved.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
We must be really bored if we still trying to figure out math for Sanders magically winning. Lets get back to focusing on the real race and that is Trump Vs Cruz.

What race? lol
It's only a question if Trump get's an outright majority or a plurality of delegates.

Trancos

So what you are saying is that the files are INSIDE the computer?

Ps: that s a terrible terrible cop out.
Terrible

Tesseract

Banned
i know both sides are protecting their pathways, but these petty squabbles are gonna fracture the party. social media will make unification a nightmare.

Touchdown

Banned
Anyone watching Kasich town hall? lol

Just you I think

image.php

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What race? lol
It's only a question if Trump get's an outright majority or a plurality of delegates.

Which is still a more interesting unknown than if Hillary wins with 55% or 60% of delegates.

i know both sides are protecting their pathways, but these petty squabbles are gonna fracture the party. social media will make unification a nightmare.

I don't think that is a major issue. Most of Bernie supporters will vote for Hillary anyway and most don't even dislike her. The ones that do probably are independent and are in it because Bernie. If Bernie didn't even run they probably wouldn't have voted anyway. I always thought that part of Bernie's coalition are people that are anti-establishment, really liberal democrats and independents( a lot tend be young), and people that are blue-collar workers( they tend to be older ) or people that don't much money, but are aren't totally poor. That last group probably makes up a huge deal of his support, but these people aren't on the net. This group will most likely vote for Hillary.

royalan

"You know, Anderson...we started small and everyone counted us out...but look, we're still standing!"

I mean, you are, but...lol

This is hilarious.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't somebody here pick Kasich in the game?

Yes, his strength is in no one paying attention to him.

The strategy is to win by default as all others prove to be unlikable.

It's taking longer than expected but the strategy is still a go.

Holmes

Yeah honestly aside from Ohio, he's the Jim Gilmore of the campaign now, only the media takes him more seriously because he's a sitting governor.

"You know, Anderson...we started small and everyone counted us out...but look, we're still standing!"

I mean, you are, but...lol

This is hilarious.

I'm not a Republican, but Kasich's presence pisses me off so much. He literally can't win unless the nomination is stolen for him. Honestly, I wonder if him still being here is riling up more of the Cruz/Trump people.

And I had to google
bing
what a pierogi was.

I'm glad Kasich is still running.

Keeps his ass out of Ohio.

Win freaking win baby.

But then I have flashbacks to him eating soup. That's something I will never, ever be able to forget.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

There are downsides to purity tests, unfortunately. Basically, even the left is not immune to being attacked by their own outrage machines.

What are you talking about leaving in Egypt ? There was never an occupation there, and the uprising really has very little to do with the US besides the standard " We urge peace" or " Step down" . The guy there was kicked out because of the Arab Spring. You kind of have a point during the times of the Cold War, but the US policy then was to fight Communism were ever so any and all goals was to get rid of it and stop the spread regardless of the later repercussions. I think you are making some mistakes with the examples. Besides Egypt, Syria was started because of the Arab Spring and the air campaign happened 3 years later and it is solely to fight ISIS, and we pulled out of Iraq and then went back in because of ISIS.

In some of those examples the goal isn't necessary is to fix anything. Libya,Syria, Kosovo there was no fix, the intervention was to stop. After that the people there decides their future or whatever. That was suppose to happen in Libya, but that failed. Again the issue I see is doing the post intervention right, each place has done it differently after the intervention, but there were many issues. Again the solutions are not appearing especially in a Rwanda or ISIS situation. Unless the solution is to not get involved . The original argument I was making is how do you go about intervening in a scenario that can turn to a Rwanda one that happens by not getting involved. Should we or should we not? If we should how exactly do you do it? If you want peace in the world how would you stop genocides from happening? If we shouldn't well are you willing to deal with the deaths of thousands?

The Chicago example is pretty stupid. Unless the mayor was actively causing genocide and there was an actual war going on with killings caused by the government/terrorists hands I would see it being comparable. The fact there is a lot of murders is not even the reason to get involved.

My understanding is that the US was putting a lot of diplomatic pressure on Egypt that caused him to step down.

The biggest example is Iraq in terms of direct intervention to "protect the citizens"; and I'm not sure we really did it for totally humanitarian reasons.

Some of the recent examples aren't the best - but they are the best we have to use in modern times, especially post-Iraq.

Going to the original point, which is, "how do we intervene in a situation that may turn into Rwanda 2.0" - and I think the problem is that right now, on a purely military sense, we can intervene just fine. Airstrikes, troop deployments, counter-intelligence, etc - we're fine on that part. But the reason the post-intervention is so hard is because often times the precipitating causes of said terrible event are something that is ingrained in the country. Take Iraq for example. On a basic level, Iraq shouldn't be a single country. It is three countries smushed into one. Iraq wasn't formed organically; it was formed by Europe a long time ago, who had no concerns for regional stability.

Fundamentally, that's where the issues lie.

Maybe it comes down to a situation where we can only protect them, and then once that happens, we have to let them fall. I don't like the idea of sitting back - but history has shown that when we interfere, we, ultimately, cause more deaths. At some point, you have to realize that as good as your intentions are, they will lead to worse things. I think the US can't be the police of the world. If we can't tackle the fundamental issues causing the divisiveness; we're just delaying the inevitable. In a lot of cases, tackling those issues would be require breaching the sovereignty of the country; which is in of itself an even more dangerous path. That's basically the "we know what's best for you" argument that they used during colonialism. From what I remember - generally regional powers can often lead to much better end results - but then that really puts us in a position of being someone else's hammer when called upon. (Why I think Kosovo worked out better is because the entire region was invested in a solution). When it comes to some parts of the world - the local powers give no crap about making the situation better. I don't think it works without the regional powers being genuinely invested - and if they're not; I think we have enough evidence that foreign involvement, even with the best intentions, leads to larger issues down the road, unless we are willing to remove that area's self-determination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom