• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
What in the Constitution would prevent it becoming a state via the regular channels?

It's complicated.

[The Congress shall have Power] To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States.

The safest would be through a constitutional amendment. Congress creating a new state would probably lead to a ton of constitutional questions.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Who looks at airport advertising

Seriously

I see a Siemens ad for a city train system

Who is this for

How about emerson's ads? Wtf?

ivysaur12

Banned
More on the plan:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...93a07c-028f-11e6-9203-7b8670959b88_story.html

The District is already challenging Congress over its authority to approve local city spending. Bowser and the D.C. Council this year plan to proceed with enacting a local spending plan — totaling $13 billion — without congressional appropriation for the first time since the nation’s founding.

Aides to Bowser said a broader push for statehood would follow a process known as the “Tennessee model.” When Tennessee was admitted to the union as the 16th state, it was a federal territory, much like the nation’s capital. Congress agreed to allow Tennessee to become a state without ratification by the existing states. Instead, it required a vote of residents in the territory to approve a state constitution and a pledge to form a republic-style government.

Bowser’s administration has been working to update a constitution approved by D.C. voters in 1982 for just such a state. That petition, submitted by then-Mayor Marion Barry, was ignored by Congress.

As Bowser spoke, hundreds of advocates for statehood were amassing on Freedom Plaza for a demonstration, and Bowser said she believes the time is ripe for a new effort.

She said there is a universal injustice in Washington, in which residents’ “Zip code” cuts them off from having a say in Congress over how city residents’ federal taxes are spent and whether the nation should go to war or confirm a new justice to the Supreme Court.

Bowser described a girl in one of the city’s poorest neighborhoods east of the Anacostia River. “When she prepares to vote when she turns 18, she will not have the right to vote for senator,” Bowser said. “But if she moved just one mile away, she would have representation and she would have two senators. But by living in D.C., those rights are stolen from her.”

Doesn't the constitution specifically block a state from being able to "split off" into different states?

Like we could make Puerto Rico a state because it is its own territory, where as other states on the continental US currently can't right?

It's complicated.

The safest would be through a constitutional amendment. Congress creating a new state would probably lead to a ton of constitutional questions.

Can they just cede the city back to Maryland? Basically shrink the District down to the Capitol, the White House, maybe the other federal offices?

It says not exceeding 10 square miles.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The thing is she's just not a natural politician. She's good in small groups, and she's great when she can actually just do the job. It's so weird.

It is. I think I said once that she's a terrible candidate for president and a fantastic dictator. :p

Sad!

Agreed. USUNCUT only for me.

OK, so I always see links to USUNCUT in my FB feed but I've never gone to it. What the heck is it? This one of those TYT type of things?

Y2Kev

Disgraceful. But best to just smile and wait until Tuesday night.

EDIT: beaten by theprodigy like Hillary in blue states.
I don't think it's disgraceful. I mean whatever, it's meaningless and she will be ahead after Tuesday. You guys are so uptight. Enjoy the death throes of the sanders campaign like the queen would ask of you.

johnsmith

remember me
USUNCUT sounds like anti-circumcision propaganda.

5xYjPMA.png

It is. I think I said once that she's a terrible candidate for president and a fantastic dictator. :p

OK, so I always see links to USUNCUT in my FB feed but I've never gone to it. What the heck is it? This one of those TYT type of things?

Yup. Click bait titles, lots of misinformation.

ivysaur12

Banned
Doesn't the constitution specifically block a state from being able to "split off" into different states?

Like we could make Puerto Rico a state because it is its own territory, where as other states on the continental US currently can't right?

No. That's what happened with West Virginia, sort of.

What states did they consider "blue," though? I think the whole thing is offensive, but if we're going to do that, we should include blue and swing, I'd think.

Given a fairly charitable definition of "swing state" (I included Michigan), I think I got Clinton 523 - 511 in swing states that have voted so far.

She also told them to "Fact check his grumpy, old ass. About as bad as fact checking somebody on what happened to them damn babies."

And I don't know which babies...and I'm afraid to ask.

Iolo

She also told them to "Fact check his grumpy, old ass. About as bad as fact checking somebody on what happened to them damn babies."

And I don't know which babies...and I'm afraid to ask.

The babies that died on the way to school in Bridgegate?

ivysaur12

Banned
That...that is possible?

Well Hillary once mused about maybe single payer wasn't a terrible idea and now she's against it did you know it was because of all the money that she's been given by Big Pharma that's warped her from a Crusader of Truth and Justice to a neocon shill I'm Zaid Jillani please upvote.

You can actually read it and see where the data came from.

Any critiques to the methodology Crimson Hexagon used?

I understand, and I think the standard is silly myself: We absolutely should engage in discussion with people that agree with us in, say, 3 out of 4 dimensions to make progress. I have absolutely no issues with that.

The point is whether or not the politician is applying a litimus test and largely using with-us-or-against-us tactics to determine who is "worthy". There's a disparity in how much each of these two do it.

You are absolutely right that Excelsior is holding Bernie to a different standard than Clinton with Israel. That much is clear. My point is that the different standard is self-inflicted by Sanders. In creating an incredibly strong narrative around moral red lines and purity tests, he brings these inherent contradictions on himself. The pragmatic candidate, on the other hand, does not. I apoligize if I came on too strong with my initial comment, but you two are talking past each other, because you don't even agree on the premise of the discussion!

Am I? I literally compared visiting to speak at the Vatican with speaking at a Netanyahu Government conference.

I also have huge issues with Clinton's policy on Israel.

That said I'd take Israel over the Vatican any day politics wise.

Also Clinton isn't going there in person in the middle of a huge race and using it for PR.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Well Hillary once mused about maybe single payer wasn't a terrible idea and now she's against it did you know it was because of all the money that she's been given by Big Pharma that's warped her from a Crusader of Truth and Justice to a neocon shill I'm Zaid Jillani please upvote.

<twitch>
<twitch>

Did they do one of these for swing states? That's the more important number. Saying Bernie killed in blue states doesn't matter, because every single one of those states would also vote for Hillary in a general. But Ohio, Florida, Virginia, Colorado? Those will matter a lot. How is Bernie doing in those? Pretty good in Colorado...

Really. I should just start writing shitty articles about how great Bernie is and OMG GUIS HE CAN STILL WIN DIS ONE 4 REALZ I SWEARS And she's going to be indicted, and I think she also is satan, but I'm not entirely sure on that but totally might be because we've never seen her and Satan in the same place at the same time so maybe because Bernie is also Batman because he's also going to do the other thing and also FRAUD!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That...that is possible?

The problem with internet journalism is that they have to chase clicks and when you're in that situation the first things to go are always the editorial standards. I don't particularly like what I'm currently writing about, real estate, but the fact is the place I work at has real standards and my editor-in-chief has shot down bad ideas that would have been greenlit at online publications. Working for a print publication and an online publication are like night and day.

So yea, it's possible. Hell, I'd argue Gawker is way worse than The Intercept. At least Greenwald hasn't published a sextape.

Y2Kev

Flight delayed because the plebeian flight crew is off drinking somewhere. Bernie sanders wants to help these people?????

Did they do one of these for swing states? That's the more important number. Saying Bernie killed in blue states doesn't matter, because every single one of those states would also vote for Hillary in a general. But Ohio, Florida, Virginia, Colorado? Those will matter a lot. How is Bernie doing in those? Pretty good in Colorado...
OH/FL alone completely cancel out Bernie's wins in other states lol

They seem to be going specifically off of Obama's 2012 map.

These are purple states (any state that has voted Republican or Democrat in any combination since 2000):

State - Hillary-Bernie

Iowa - 23-21
New Hampshire - 9-15
Nevada - 18-17
Colorado - 27-39
Virginia - 62-33
Florida - 141-73
Ohio - 81-62
North Carolina - 60-47

Total - 421-307

I wish so too, but you know Republicans would never got for it. They'd rather it go into Maryland even though Virginia makes more sense.

The land that makes up DC is from Maryland, not Virginia. Arlington and Alexandria VA were part of DC until the land was returned in the 19th century through retrocession. So technically MD would make more sense. Even thought neither makes sense because DC is its own thing now.

pledged delegates in swing states (CO+IA+NV+FL+OH+VA+NC+NH):
Clinton-423
Sanders-305

i'd also include GA/AZ in an effort to expand that to "states that might actually be competitive in november"
They don't count because Hillary won them

I have an idea, let's count all the states. Bernie supporters pointing out that he's doing slightly better than Hillary in blue states (a 2-delegate lead that will almost certainly vanish on Tuesday) as if he's secretly the winner and has the nomination locked down is just laughably delusional.

"But California has more delegates than his deficit, he could still win!" Yup...

Half of American dogs and cats are obese.

Why do Bernie and Hillary not have a platform on this!?

excuse u Bernie has been railing against fat cats and how they've been getting bigger and bigger for decades now

#wherewashillary
(maybe that's why he's so confused when people ask him for details about bank regs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom