• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecotic

It's obvious Bernie is saying Congress isn't giving Americans in dire shape a free money check, not that their money isn't being insured if the bank goes belly up.

pigeon

Banned
I think he means more like when the economy crashed and you lose your job you're stuck spending your savings and no one bails you out.

Right. Like how no one passed Emergency Unemployment Compensation* and extended it for five years to help people who lost their jobs, and no one pushed through a payroll tax holiday to benefit low-wage workers, and no one enacted $800 billion in stimulus to create new jobs so that you could get back into the workforce.

That makes it a way more accurate criticism!

* Yeah, that was W, but I'm still counting it for the purpose of this argument, since it was government action to protect taxpayers.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It's obvious Bernie is saying Congress isn't giving Americans in dire shape a free money check, not that their money isn't being insured if the bank goes belly up.

A couple thing to add.

FDIC insured means the bank has to meet a set of criteria from IT all to way to Lending.
and
I don't think the money to the banks was 'free' money. In some ways it could be considered so due to the low interest rate, but they still owe it.

Hazmat

Right. Like how no one passed Emergency Unemployment Compensation* and extended it for five years to help people who lost their jobs, and no one pushed through a payroll tax holiday to benefit low-wage workers, and no one enacted $800 billion in stimulus to create new jobs so that you could get back into the workforce.

That makes it a way more accurate criticism!

* Yeah, that was W, but I'm still counting it for the purpose of this argument, since it was government action to protect taxpayers.

I didn't say it was accurate, I'm just pointing out that the issue isn't that Sanders doesn't know about the FDIC.

hawk2025

Oh man, $50K more and he would be part of the 1% :)

I'm still on team who the hell cares about the tax returns of someone making less than $250K though.

Effect

https://go.berniesanders.com/page/-/Bernie Taxes Full.pdf

There's the full

Why won't he release more? This is strangely unprecedented and kind of off putting. Not that I believe there's anything worthwhile in other years, but why wait so long or only do one year that's not even the current tax year?

I honestly think he's hiding something and it's likely more then just low amounts given to charity. Tax returns are a much bigger deal then some fucking transcripts of speeches. We know where Hillary's income was coming from. If he or his wife has extra income coming in and in large numbers he looks like a massive hypocrite. If he had any investments in wall street, etc while he's talking about how evil it is left and right he looks even worse. He could have gotten rid of that off their record once he decided to run last year. Not before that and I think that is why he's only released what he has. Go back further and it likely does not look good.

I honestly think he's hiding something and it's likely more then just low amounts given to charity. Tax returns are a much bigger deal then some fucking transcripts of speeches. We know where Hillary's income was coming from. If has extra coming in and in large numbers he looks like a massive hypocrite. If he had any investments in wall street while he's talking about how evil it is left and right he looks even worse.

Pushing for Hillary's transcripts may be one of the most damaging moves in his entire political career if that's the case. People are going to keep pushing for more from him, because withholding this many is unprecedented. If he had some shady stuff going on, even his Senate seat might be in trouble

Jesus H Christ, he left out the paper for charitable donations

There's got to be some satanic group or alternative medicine snake oil in there or something. Alright, my benefit of the doubt is seriously starting to wane a bit here. Something is clearly wrong with this picture.

royalan

There's got to be some satanic group or alternative medicine snake oil in there or something. Alright, my benefit of the doubt is seriously starting to wane a bit here. Something is clearly wrong with this picture.

Someone's going to make an issue of this. Why release the returns at all with such glaring omissions?

Satanism is highly Randian so I doubt Bernie donated to a Satanist group! ;)

Trancos

Bernie tax returns is missing pages LOL
Schedule B is totally missing from the scan. This is getting absurd.
It's missing the part about Dividends and Interests accrued too so maybe he has invested in something he doesn't want us to see.

I stand by my theory that there is something absolutely irrelevant that bothers Sanders too much because it contradicts something that he said. And Bernie is never ever wrong.

I don't care in what anybody invest, not Hillary, not Bernie, not trump, I really don't care.

They can all invest in North Korea National Dildo company for what I care.

I don't know anybody that waits to study the whole tax returns before deciding of who to vote.
But it's so awkward that Bernie can never never be anything else that 100% right.

Armaros

Are these joint statements with his wife or just Bernie?

Remember his wife got a golden parachute for bankrupting her college. While making 6 figures.

No one is going to make an issue out of this. Nothing about this is major news.

Just about every presidential candidate for at least the last decade has released multiple years of Tax Returns.

Only Romeny, Trump and Bernie have refused to do so.

And two of them have not been attacking their opponents about transparency while refusing to release tax returns. Guess who the odd man out is.

Iolo

He donated $8350 to charity

Total. If individual donations are < $250, you have to keep a list (credit card statements) but you don't have to send that to the IRS unless they audit you.

It's not a good look though. He should know from Hillary's emails that drip-drip is bad, and now the media are going to ask him.

Total. If individual donations are < $250, you have to keep a list (credit card statements) but you don't have to send that to the IRS unless they audit you.

It's not a good look though. He should know from Hillary's emails that drip-drip is bad, and now the media are going to ask him.

I bet that money went ot the National Audubon SOciety. That explains that damn bird. It all makes sense now.

Yea I was non committal about Bernie taxes thing but something's not right. My take is that his wife actually does do taxes and has very weird shit in it and Bernie himself is unaware of whats in it. Maybe voodoo medicene kooky stuff you mentioned. Or it could be some extra income source they failed to disclose.

He could have even challenged hillary with, if tomorrow I release 10 years of my taxes, will you release your 10 years of transcripts.
I thought 2 houses is common with senators: one in DC and one in home. But could be wrong.

There are definitely missing pages, right? I'm reading the one that says "Full" and my poor ass has way, way more pages on my tax returns. Like...schedules and stuff? Did they not turn those over?

pigeon

Banned
Okay guys, we're going down the rabbit hole here and there is no whitey tape at the bottom.

Bernie's taxes are a little interesting mostly because they're somewhat richer than I expected, but the odds that something weird is in them is basically zero.

As backslashbunny noted, he probably just didn't realize he would have to release his taxes.

hawk2025

lol, no one cares about this, people.

It's just fun to wonder what the
long-form birth certificate
full tax return would look like :)

Armaros

Okay guys, we're going down the rabbit hole here and there is no whitey tape at the bottom.

Bernie's taxes are a little interesting mostly because they're somewhat richer than I expected, but the odds that something weird is in them is basically zero.

As backslashbunny noted, he probably just didn't realize he would have to release his taxes.

If that's true, that goes to show how shitty his advisors are, especially Devine, he should know better after running so many presidential campaigns that Tax Returns are the norm.

I don't really care all that much, given it's in his capacity as a private citizen etc. etc., but I wouldn't be too shocked if there were some wacky charities in wacky Bernie's donations.

I mean, it's fine to say there's no "there" there (and there isn't which is fine)....but you're left with two possible explanations:

1) There is a there, there
or
2) His team is really stupid enough to believe you don't have to release your tax information.

Neither is a great look. But, again, benefit of the doubt to Bernie et cetera.

hawk2025

There are definitely missing pages, right? I'm reading the one that says "Full" and my poor ass has way, way more pages on my tax returns. Like...schedules and stuff? Did they not turn those over?

Oh yeah.

I filed 5 years of taxes as a PhD student on a straightforward stipend and even that had nearly twice as many pages as that. He just has the 1040, with none of the additional forms.

hawk2025

KEV &#3900; &#12388; &#9685;_&#9685; &#3901;&#12388; GIVE MONEY

BERNIE &#3900; &#12388; &#9685;_&#9685; &#3901;&#12388; RELEASE FULL TAXES

HILLARY &#3900; &#12388; &#9685;_&#9685; &#3901;&#12388; RELEASE TRANSCRIPTS

CRUZ &#3900; &#12388; &#9685;_&#9685; &#3901;&#12388; GIVE SOUP

CRUZ &#3900; &#12388; &#9685;_&#9685; &#3901;&#12388; GIVE SOUP