• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Tuesday brings us one step closer to ending this charade.
That's about where I am. I'm spending my rainy/dreary day watching old Japanese monster movies while playing TriForce Heroes (damn time challenges!).

Running out the clock. Kinda glad that I skipped the debate and slept through it instead.

ant1532

Banned
When exactly did Bernie or his campaign say he was invited by the pope?

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...sanders-announces-plan-for-speech-at-vatican/

Here he says "I have received the invitation from the Vatican".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECK9_Bk9IIs

Here on Morning Joe he says "It was an invitation from the Vatican".

I would just like to know where this whole argument came from.
It comes from hilary supporters screwing the truth as they do. it also comes from bitterness. Hilarious trying to make bernie look bad for visiting the vatican while campaigning in new york while Clinton abandoned NY and is currently in California sipping with her big money fundraisers as she does.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm college Sachs had a cult of people following him at every turn. I never took his classes because there were like 900000 English / environmental science / other useless degree seniors waiting for the lottery system to open when I was busy registering for econometrics or statistics in financial engineering. Whatever :nailpaint

Daniel B·;201140068 said:
BOOYA!

The timing of Bernie's Vatican speech couldn't have been more inspired, as on the other side of the Atlantic, at Hillary's fundraiser, you would have payed $353k to sit at the head table with George Clooney, which could have possibly paid for Bernie's whole trip.

The positive press coverage alone, such as from USA Today, made the trip well worth it:

P.S. I'm the real-life Gordon Gekko and I support Bernie Sanders, by Asher Edelman, writing in The Guardian on Tuesday, April 12th.

Just a quick word of advice: posting here as a Sanders supporter is like posting on reddit as a Hillary supporter. Neither is generally worth the headache. :p

hawk2025

It comes from hilary supporters screwing the truth as they do. it also comes from bitterness. hilarious trying to make bernie look bad for visiting the vatican while campaigning in new york while Clinton abandoned NY and is currently in California sipping with her big money fundraisers as she does.

Or The View!

Crayons

Banned
I'm college Sachs had a cult of people following him at every turn. I never took his classes because there were like 900000 English / environmental science / other useless degree seniors waiting for the lottery system to open when I was busy registering for econometrics or statistics in financial engineering. Whatever :nailpaint

in-office-angry-gif.gif

Plumbob

It comes from hilary supporters screwing the truth as they do. it also comes from bitterness. Hilarious trying to make bernie look bad for visiting the vatican while campaigning in new york while Clinton abandoned NY and is currently in California sipping with her big money fundraisers as she does.

Looking forward to Sanders dominating the upcoming Holy See primary 🙄

It's called helping get money for down ballot Democrats, you know, what you need for an actual revolution

Just a quick word of advice: posting here as a Sanders supporter is like posting on reddit as a Hillary supporter. Neither is generally worth the headache. :p

Let me tell you, it's not at all. I've been taking abuse for the last few weeks because I've been kind of bored, and nothing on GAF comes even close. It's the Wild West on Reddit, of blatant racism, sexism and absolutely blathering nonsense.

Pretty accurate for Tuesday primary. Howrever, I expect New York primary to be pretty close for the Democratic side.

There's absolutely no reason to believe this. Every bit of data would suggest Bernie is going to lose by double digits.

royalan

Those big money fundraisers are the only reason Bernie Sanders has a platform to exploit in order to shit-talk the party that he would need to get anything accomplished if, by some catastrophic event, he won the nomination.

Piecake

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/16/politics/bernie-sanders-pope-francis-vatican-visit/

My brothers and sisters on Gaf who support Hillary, please just stop. This meltdown over the meeting with the Pope is not a good look. Just accept it and move on. Chances are he'll still lose New York and Hillary is well on her way to being the nominee, just be patient and stay above narrative twisting like this. Bernie didn't ambush him, he didn't say it was an endorsement, they simply met because the pope wanted to.

That same article from wsvn (from that picture floating around) btw also says:

http://www.wsvn.com/story/31742115/pope-sanders-encounter-sign-of-good-manners-nothing-more

So, is the Pope lying? Because from his comments it sure sounds like Bernie was basically waiting for him in the hallway to come out of some sort of meeting so that they could meet and shake hands.

ampere

My two beefs with Clinton are the dealth penalty and her stance towards Isreal, but that doesn't ruffle my feathers as much as it does others here in PoliGAF. I think I just don't like Bibi.

I'm quite opposed to capital punishment, but I think we're a ways off from being able to actually get rid of it. Not a fan of Hillary's enthusiasm about it, not sure if she is being "tough" or if she really thinks it's right.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
When exactly did Bernie or his campaign say he was invited by the pope?

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...sanders-announces-plan-for-speech-at-vatican/

Here he says "I have received the invitation from the Vatican".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECK9_Bk9IIs

Here on Morning Joe he says "It was an invitation from the Vatican".

I would just like to know where this whole argument came from.

Or when he says he will be meeting with the pope on The View.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDu4dCLoE74

nnnnnn this delicious, tongue burning tea!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Hey Suikoguy. Guess what. He met with the pope. Hey suikoguy, guess who said the quote that the pope invited him. One guess. It wasn't bernie.

The way they met, he had no idea he was going to meet them.
Unless the plan was to camp out and ambush him.

Bitterness at winning?

ant1532

Banned
The way they met, he had no idea he was going to meet them.
Unless the plan was to camp out and ambush him.

You understand they were at the same meeting right? You understand it wan't a lot of people in that room yes? I think he had an idea he was going to meet him, and guess what, he did.

Suikoguy

You understand they were at the same meeting right? You understand it wan't a lot of people in that room yes? I think he had an idea he was going to meet him, and guess what, he did.

His gamble paid off... sorta.
Paid off as it was not a total failure.
Did not pay off as he will still lose the primary.

Ekai

Yeah I tried earlier on to address the Hilary supporters here on the impolite and presumptuous rhetoric they have here but they continue to be completely not self aware of how they speak to the very few bernie supporters here and mob out the ones that try and post.

I wouldn't argue that. My issue is with the behavior of specific individuals. I wouldn't paint all of them with a brush.

Who? How?

I've posted specifically on these matters before. Nothing results from it that is at all conclusive. I'll just PM specific people on the forum staff about it when I gather the posts together.

I met Jill Biden at my community college in the lead-up to the 2012 election so that was pretty cool. Even got to shake her hand.

Other than that I've also met Franken and Klobuchar.

ant1532

Banned
His gamble paid off... sorta.
Paid off as it was not a total failure.
Did not pay off as he will still lose the primary.

Honestly, this is a ridiculous thing to go on about. He was invited the vatican and given a platform to speak to the pope. He knew his speech was going to be in the same small room with the pope.

Trouble

Banned

They were never at a meeting together. Bernie waited in the lobby of the residence as the Pope was leaving for a trip so he could shake the Pope's hand and talk for 5 minutes.

Honestly, this is a ridiculous thing to go on about. He was invited the vatican and given a platform to speak to the pope. He knew his speech was going to be in the same small room with the pope.

The bolded is factually incorrect.

I met with Joe Biden a few months ago at Ohio State.*

I shook his hand while he was working a line after a rally for the university's It's On Us initiative.

I met with Hillary Clinton twice. We discussed the intricacies of voter outreach. She, personally, thanked me for my service to the Party. It was a good meeting.

Queen literally said thank you to a group of us.....still, it counts?

And, speaking for all Hillary supporters everywhere, no one gives two cares that Bernie went to the Vatican. Here's why it's funny (Sad, not ha! ha!)

1) He's down 10-17 points in a state he can't afford to win by less than 10! So, he takes two days off the trail to go to an academic conference at the Vatican.

2) This was political. Which is fine. He's a politician. But, my god, if Hillary had done it, we'd never hear the damn end about how she's trying to pander to the Catholic vote. And it definitely was political because he used campaign contributions to pay for it.

3) I take issue with what I perceive to be a bit of morally wiff-waffing here. The Pope is currently loved by Bernie supporters because they share a similar (on paper) focus on economic injustice. HOWEVER, if Queen was "meeting" with someone who shared the Pope's views on LGBT rights, abortion, and women's rights, she'd be getting draaaaggged by her perfectly coiffed weave.

4) HOW IS THE VATICAN NOT THE EPITOME OF ESTABLISHMENT!?

5) I still hate that damn bird.

It's really eye opening how many people conflate "will of the people" with "whatever I happen to want and support"

I think many just cannot come to terms with the fact that the US as a whole just isn't as liberal as they want it to be.

Which, I admit, is quite frustrating, but to deny that an actual vote is not the will of the people isn't intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom