• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

GutsOfThor

This whole Pope thing is dumb. Who gives a shit?

Sanders campaign is all but dead and Clinton will win the nomination. I say leave the poor guy alone as he is just using up what little spotlight he has left before he goes back to being a nobody.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
when I'm saving the rainforest I'll remember how my major is "useless" -Y2kev

Make a new Ferngully!

(I thought it was an obvious joke. I contrasted it with English on purpose. I don't think environmental science is useless.)

ivysaur12

Banned

Sanders campaign is all but dead and Clinton will win the nomination. I say leave the poor guy alone as he is just using up what little spotlight he has left before he's goes back to being a nobody.

Agreed. Who cares? He's about to get routed in New York and his political future will be guest appearances on Democracy Now! segments while someone younger and more charming takes his place in the party's apparatus.

Bernie won't have a long lasting appeal because he was probably the worst member of the progressive wing of the party to run against Hillary. But his message will become the message of the party by 2024, so in those respects he did win.

ant1532

Banned
They were never at a meeting together. Bernie waited in the lobby of the residence as the Pope was leaving for a trip so he could shake the Pope's hand and talk for 5 minutes.

The bolded is factually incorrect.

I'll take the L on that. I was wrong, thought the pope was in that room, when I watched the video, but really though that convention is hosted by the Vatican where the Pope leads. So his message is still being heard by them.

Sanders campaign is all but dead and Clinton will win the nomination. I say leave the poor guy alone as he is just using up what little spotlight he has left before he's goes back to being a nobody.

I expect this kind of rhetoric from right wing Republicans (like the way they talk about Obama's presidency), not progressive Democrats. Whether you support Bernie for president or not, claiming he is a nobody grossly distorts the last 40 years of his career. I have disagreements with both Bernie and Hillary, but I would never claim either one of them is "irrelevant" and the political discourse could definitely use some more respect and dignity at this point.

PoliGAF is a big fat mess.

Unlike Bernie's list of superdelegates. That's a small thin mess :airhorn: :p

No Democrat who believes in Democracy should defend or gloat about Superdelegates. If the Supers supported Bernie from day one that would be just as undemocratic as them supporting Hillary right now.

ampere

I hate my generation

What is the "Will of the People" if not the person who has the single most votes of any candidate of either race?

I'm not sure. The article mentions Bush vs Gore as a core example, but that was a popular vote vs electoral vote dilemma. I totally understand being mad about that, it sucked. It just doesn't serve the argument for Bernie since he's not winning by any metric that matters

"My preferred candidate isn't winning" = "the will of the people is being squashed" to some folks.

Trouble

Banned
Pfft, you guys think you have useless majors? I literally had no major. I did the "get 3 minors and we'll give you a diploma" thing.

CCS

Banned
I expect this kind of rhetoric from right wing Republicans (like the way they talk about Obama's presidency), not progressive Democrats. Whether you support Bernie for president or not, claiming he is a nobody grossly distorts the last 40 years of his career. I have disagreements with both Bernie and Hillary, but I would never claim either one of them is "irrelevant" and the political discourse could definitely use some more respect and dignity at this point.

No Democrat who believes in Democracy should defend or gloat about Superdelegates. If the Supers supported Bernie from day one that would be just as undemocratic as them supporting Hillary right now.

I'm not a Democrat.

:airhorn:

Strictly speaking, that's correct. I'm not American :p

ivysaur12

Banned

I would say in the grand scheme of political history, Bernie is going to be a very minor player. He hasn't really had a very eventful time as a legislator (though no one does these days) and he's part of a long line of left wing usurpers that keep losing, though I do think the party will be ready in 2024 to nominate a Bernie-minded progressive.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Are you really going to go down this path?
Do you even know who/what Superdelegates are?

ant1532

Banned
ant1532 said:
Yeah I tried earlier on to address the Hilary supporters here on the impolite and presumptuous rhetoric they have here but they continue to be completely not self aware of how they speak to the very few bernie supporters here and mob out the ones that try and post.

Uhhh, I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about

It's literally like clockwork. This is the motto huh.

And of course Y2k deleted my own post i just quoted

How rude! Shinra makes great posts.
A poor rando on the street represents poor randos pretty well. They should probably be President.

What a great substantive poster!!!! Wooo!

CCS

Banned
I've got a maths degree and will be working for the establishment from September.

Of course I'm a Hillary supporter :p

dramatis

I've posted specifically on these matters before. Nothing results from it that is at all conclusive. I'll just PM specific people on the forum staff about it when I gather the posts together.
I have some posts to contribute if you would like to gather them. Mind you, they'll probably make what evidence you gather look tame.

Are you really going to go down this path?
Do you even know who/what Superdelegates are?

I'll let the head of the DNC explain it:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/11/c...to-explain-rigged-superdelegate-system-video/

“Unpledged delegates exist really to make sure that party leaders and elected officials don’t have to be in a position where they are running against grassroots activists. We are as a Democratic Party really highlight and emphasize inclusiveness and diversity at our convention, and so we want to give every opportunity to grassroots activists and diverse, committed Democrats to be able to participate, attend, and be a delegate at the convention. And so we separate out those, those unpledged delegates to make sure that there isn’t competition between them.”

Crayons

Banned
Make a new Ferngully!

(I thought it was an obvious joke. I contrasted it with English on purpose. I don't think environmental science is useless.)

Sorry then, I must have broken my sarcasm detector. I absolutely hate it when people say environmental science is useless. Gets me heated.

hawk2025

Pointing out a logical fallacy by taking it to its absurd logical conclusion is actually a great post, yes.

royalan

I expect this kind of rhetoric from right wing Republicans (like the way they talk aNo Democrat who believes in Democracy should defend or gloat about Superdelegates. If the Supers supported Bernie from day one that would be just as undemocratic as them supporting Hillary right now.

I believe in Democracy.

I support superdelegates because the Democratic Party is a semi-private organization and has the right to formulate their nomination process however they want to. I think having superdelegates creates a two-part process that requires a candidate to receive not only the mandate of the people, but the consensus of the party leaders. I believe this promotes party unity.

I support the idea now, just as I supported it in 08 when those same superdelgates fled my candidate.

Y2Kev

His post in response to your post about why the president need not be representative of the average American. The President is an exceptional position.

I believe in Democracy.

I support superdelegates because the Democratic Party is a semi-private organization and has the right to formulate their nomination process however they want to. I think having superdelegates creates a two-part process that requires a candidate to receive not only the mandate of the people, but the consensus of the party leaders. I believe this promotes party unity.

I support the idea now, just as I supported it in 08 when those same superdelgates fled my candidate.

I disagree with you but I admire and respect your consistency.

ant1532

Banned
His post in response to your post about why the president need not be representative of the average American. The President is an exceptional position.
I just strongly disagree with this opinion.

LETS STOP FIGHTING
LETS STOP FIGHTING
LETS STOP FIGHTING

I'm done :3

I don't want Shinra to ban me again I guess. But if he or she or whoever does ban me, I just wanna remind everyone of the Super Smash Brother Brawl Dojo thread i started and how many views and posts that thread had. Don't forget greatness. Don't forget what I can do for Gaf. Don't play yourself Gaf mods. You smart. Keep me in the game.

I'm being a jokey :p

I see the Hillary camp's efforts to deflect calls for her to release her Wall St. transcripts, with a call for Bernie's tax returns, worked like a charm ;):

Sen. Bernie Sanders and his wife, following pressure from Democratic presidential campaign rival Hillary Clinton, released their full 2014 federal tax return on Friday, showing a combined income of more than $205,000.

Sanders released summaries of the couple's 2014 federal and state returns in June. Friday’s release included the federal return's attached schedules and offered more background on the couple’s finances, including charitable gifts of $8,350.

Sanders and his wife, Jane, paid $27,653 in federal income taxes and $7,903 in Vermont income taxes in 2014. Their income is largely derived from Sanders’ Senate salary of $174,000 and Social Security benefits.

Clinton released her tax returns, filed jointly with her husband, former President Bill Clinton, in July. They show the couple earned just over $28 million in 2014 and $27 million in 2013, more than double the $13 million they earned in 2010, when she was still serving as secretary of state. The 2014 total included $10.5 million in speaking fees for Hillary Clinton, $9.8 million in speaking fees for the former president, and $6.4 million he earned from "consulting."

In a statement, Hillary Clinton noted the family had given $15 million to charity since 2007. The tax returns show $14.8 million of that went to the Clinton Family Foundation.

The Clinton's saying they've donated $15 million to charity, when they gave 99% of that to their own tax exempt 501(c)(3) foundation...

ivysaur12

Banned
I went from worst degree to best job

#ObamasAmerica

💅💅💅💅💅💅💅💅💅💅💅💅💅💅

Y2Kev

Look how future this shit is!!

NXs27zk.png

I'm not home but it is as though I were!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom