• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really dont know why yall are playing up her winning NY. It was completely suspected for a long time.

And furthermore the outcome has been known for the whole primary for a long time. I just know know why you have to ravel in it. I mean I haven't been coming in here as often because its like a constant bash-fest of my candidate. I mean thats fine, I'll be back during the GE once everything is back to normal in the world.

Really dont know why yall are playing up her winning NY. It was completely suspected for a long time.

And furthermore the outcome has been known for the whole primary for a long time. I just know know why you have to ravel in it. I mean I haven't been coming in here as often because its like a constant bash-fest of my candidate. I mean thats fine, I'll be back during the GE once everything is back to normal in the world.

We are all just human and humans love to be tribalistic and reinforce their behaviors and be validated by others. There are few solutions other than putting dopamine antagonists in the water supply and turning everyone into zombies.

I love how the assumption is that those 125k Brooklyn voters being purged hurt Bernie more than Hill. What are the demos for Brooklyn?

racial demos for the borough are something like 35% white non-hispanic, 20% hispanic, 35% black, 12% asian

I was super simplifying the math just to show the impact of a 75% result in 20% of the electorate.

it's more like 75% in 20, ~58% in another 20%, 50% in the remaining 60%

Plumbob

Embrace the Hive. Embrace your Queen.

Prologue

And plenty of people don't like her either. The animosity doesn't come out of thin air.

Given 8 years of obstruction obviously have not helped the GOP to undo the Democrats' presidential chances, and indeed have arguably been one of the biggest contributors to the energizing of the "no compromise" wing that Cruz and Trump play to, I have to wonder if there is any intention among the GOP to be a little less obstructionist moving forward. If Hillary wins two terms in office, the ACA will be a 15-year-old bill by the end, heck it'll be an 11 year-old bill by the end of her first term, so by that point, repealing it will be just as much of a logistical and bureaucratic headache as keeping it in the first place supposedly is, and it will be status quo enough that the political will to do so will be dampened. Paul Ryan has gone back on some of his earlier economic silliness, has attempted to do minority outreach like was called for in the 2012 GOP post mortem, and is just generally positioning himself to be the most nationally prominent GOP figure when Trump goes down in flames, because he clearly desires to run for president when he thinks the time is right and when some of the stink of 2012 has wafted off of him. If he's smart, and I think he is, he'll try to steer the party back toward the center and engage in some actual governance as a show of good faith, perhaps steer the message toward "fixing Obamacare" rather than repealing it, but I'm not sure if his party is ready to realign itself just yet.

The 2024 or 2028 nominee for the GOP will be talking about "protecting the Affordable Care Act" from liberals wanting to reform to single payer.

Because Bernie supporters have gotten extremely fucking obnoxious and delusional and I deal with them all the goddamn time and it's tiring

"It was completely suspected"? Tell that to my facebook feed, a lot of them are hyping up NY as the nail in the coffin of Hillary the corrupt, lying bitch

Embrace the Hive. Embrace your Queen.

I shall wait and see what she does do after winning the GE. I agree mostly with Obama, so I'd image that I would be OK with her presidency. But I don't pick my political favorites as idols or think they are a missiah.

And plenty of people don't like her either. The animosity doesn't come out of thin air.

I understand, I tend to just lurk here now anyway. I know there are much more Sander supporters over in the general Off-topic board. But one thing I haven't ever done here is bash Hillary, despite not liking her as much as I like Sander's view points.

Because Bernie supporters have gotten extremely fucking obnoxious and delusional and I deal with them all the goddamn time and it's tiring

"It was completely suspected"? Tell that to my facebook feed, a lot of them are hyping up NY as the nail in the coffin of Hillary the corrupt, lying bitch

I can assure you I'm not one of the annoying ones.

NeoXChaos

well your in MN so if they sit out it wont matter so much.

I shall wait and see what she does do after winning the GE. I agree mostly with Obama, so I'd image that I would be OK with her presidency. But I don't pick my political favorites as idols or think they are a missiah.

I understand, I tend to just lurk here now anyway. I know there are much more Sander supporters over in the general Off-topic board. But one thing I haven't ever done here is bash Hillary, despite not liking her as much as I like Sander's view points.

I don't think most people here bashed him either until he completely dismissed southern voters and went conspiracy theory level bad in his attacks. The only real thing Clinton has hit Sanders on is guns.

The John Birch Society proven right in the end after all.

Wait did they really suggest something like that? I was kidding (having low dopamine basically means having the negative symptoms of schizophrenia which are basically being an empty hollow shell of a human but hey then you have less of a drive to echo chamber).

I do think people are overestimating the shitty bernie supporters just like people overestimate the shitty hillary supporters.

I hope not. Single Payer would be an awful idea for our country.

And why is that? Other than not being politically feasible for now of course

royalan

If these exit polls hold up, and Bernie's numbers have gone down among his likely voters compared to two weeks ago, I'm gonna guess that that Daily News transcript really did hurt him. His inability to discuss his platform in detail triggered the biggest wave of negating media attention he's received all year.

Trancos

I do hope that most Bernie supporters don't get discouraged with the election process. They are making a difference, it's just that change is not a switch that you turn on/off. Change is complex and takes time.
I think the worst outcome possible is for them to never vote again. We need all the center left people that can we can find.

That's good.

It may surprise you but I caucused for Sanders myself and have given him money. My only thing though was from the beginning I've been very skeptical of his chances, not only in the primary but in the general election if he made it there. When friends ask for my assessment of the race, I've been honest with them, and have been accused of being cynical at best, and at worst being a shill for Hillary and being a drone who's bought into the two-party system. I don't want to say this primary has burned any bridges, but it's made some of them a lot less stable as many people have turned into raging assholes over goddamn politics because they can't handle a little straight talk every now and then. No it's fine, go binge watch Young Turks and keep thinking Bernie's going to win 80% in California, that's fucking great.

Wait did they really suggest something like that? I was kidding (having low dopamine basically means having the negative symptoms of schizophrenia which are basically being an empty hollow shell of a human but hey then you have less of a drive to echo chamber).

I do think people are overestimating the shitty bernie supporters just like people overestimate the shitty hillary supporters.
Kind of?

They suggested that putting fluoride in the water supply was a communist plot to destroy America among many other things

Kind of?

They suggested that putting fluoride in the water supply was a communist plot..

Oh that, yea nothing like saving money on dental problems... Though I'm sure in due time research will show that extra fluoride damages brains but as of now theres no real research on that (lithium is horrific for the body and I doubt fluoride is much better but the levels used are pretty low).

Trancos

If these exit polls hold up, and Bernie's numbers have gone down among his likely voters compared to two weeks ago, I'm gonna guess that that Daily News transcript really did hurt him. His inability to discuss his platform in detail triggered the biggest wave of negating media attention he's received all year.
If the margin is 10-15 like every poll predicted since the very beginning it means that nor the Daily News interview, nor the 3 million calls made any difference. Which is boring. Part of the fun is the idea that all those events move the needle a bit.

I do hope that most Bernie supporters don't get discouraged with the election process. They are making a difference, it's just that change is not a switch that you turn on/off. Change is complex and takes time.
I think the worst outcome possible is for them to never vote again. We need all the center left people that can we can find.

I would hope that more than not get discouraged that those Bernie supporters brand new to politics start voting on non-presidential races and educate themselves on how the process works. That is how real change can happen.

If the margin is 10-15 like every poll predicted since the very beginning it means that nor the Daily News interview, nor the 3 million calls made any difference. Which is boring. Part of the fun is the idea that all those events move the needle a bit.

Well the exit polls tell you the whole story: pretty much everyone already made up their minds. Humans are boring like that and its pretty hard to change beliefs. In fact research suggests trying to change minds can make people even more steadfast in their support. Blame it on whoever designed the brain.

And why is that? Other than not being politically feasible for now of course

Because it doesn't make any sense. We're already on the path for a Swiss style or Dutch style multipayer system. Throwing it all out for single payer, which hasn't even proven to be the most effective kind of system, makes no sense and would cause more upheaval than makes any sense to subject ourselves too.

Single payer =/= universal healthcare.

Owzers

Spend your time talking about how terrible government is, rail against the Washington Cartel and the establishment.

Spend your time trying to get delegates from states that decided not to bother having a primary or ones that you actually lost the primary in but you're team is great at working the system. When asked about it, reply that these are the rules and stop whining.

I'm slightly surprised more conservatives aren't talking about this, but they hate Trump so whatever it takes.

johnsmith

remember me
Looks like we're going to need a new thread tonight. Whoever makes it please go with

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| gamer Bitchboys BOW DOWN TO HIL

pigeon

Banned

To offer a perspective as a Hillary supporter, I think part of the reason PoliGAF has become so echoey is that OT threads are (as I see them) filled with Bernie supporters who don't just love their candidate, and don't just hate Hillary to a somewhat disturbing extent, but suggest that I personally am stupid, conservative, selfish, etc. for supporting Hillary when Bernie's obviously the better choice. I spent a lot of time engaging with them, and eventually basically gave up because I was tired of repeating the same discussions when the other side was mainly engaging in personal attacks from my perspective. This is one reason I don't post in OT politics right now and I notice that some posters who normally spend their time in OT politics threads have migrated over here to complain about how bad Bernie supporters are. They feel pretty inhospitable.

I get that you have more or less the same perspective on PoliGAF, just reversed. Basically I think this primary season has just gone on way too long.

Because it doesn't make any sense. We're already on the path for a Swiss style or Dutch style multipayer system. Throwing it all out for single payer, which hasn't even proven to be the most effective kind of system, makes no sense and would cause more upheaval than makes any sense to subject ourselves too.

Single payer =/= universal healthcare.

Ok I can kinda buy the upheaval argument and I am well aware single payer isn't UHC (I'm in the medical field :p). But I'm pretty sure single payer is theoretically better due to less administrative overhead than multipayer but at the end of the day european style multipayer is really just healthcare as a utility provided by heavily regulated private companies. Eventually public hospital's a la britain would be the most efficient but would take a while.

The bigger problems are how do we start treating healthcare as a utility and not a commodity because that will be the big paradigm shift that I don't know if incremental change only on top of ACA can accomplish in any reasonable time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom