• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Sanders win most of the Hispanic-plurality wards in Chicago? So that's a thing. Paging Melkr.

Panda Express, chow mein with orange chicken and Beijing beef. Yoooooo.
I prefer Leeann chin myself. Better wontons. Chicken is better at Panda though.

Here in Brooklyn park there's a Leeann and Panda right next to each other. I go with PE maybe 1 in every 10 times.

The problem is that there's nothing inherent to Sanders alienating him from minorities (outside of whitedudebros hehe), as is sometimes implied. He has done well with minorities in more liberal, younger states. So probably the race perspective is not the only layer we should analyze.

Mess I got SUMMONED by Holmes. One day I will make some time to bring you the receipts. Be fearful of that day.

And may brainchild RIP. We Berniesters are falling like dominos. I hope I can make it to the convention.

Didn't Sanders win most of the Hispanic-plurality wards in Chicago? So that's a thing. Paging Melkr.

Panda Express, chow mein with orange chicken and Beijing beef. Yoooooo.

Panda Express is real Chinese food in the sense that Taco Bell is real Mexican food.

OmniOne

I'm watching Trump talk on MSNBC and it hit me, and maybe I'm just slow, that his entire shtick is just a Gish Gallop.

He just talks until the clock runs out.

"Early voters vote for Hillary but Bernie does better on election day so this means momentum is moving away from Hillary"

like how dumb do you have to be

Ya'll settling for Panda Express makes me sad.

We have a place where every thing is handmade. She makes handmade Crab Rangoon every day. Shit is on point. When they run out, though, they run out. Old family recipies. Made to order. They have crispy orangey chicken that is just...insane.

Is there a demographic breakdown of the voters that participated in the Democratic caucus for Hawaii?

No. Caucuses only ever do "entrance polls" and even then they're either fact or incredibly inaccurate. It's basically useless information and they didn't do one for any of the states this past weekend.

"Early voters vote for Hillary but Bernie does better on election day so this means momentum is moving away from Hillary"

like how dumb do you have to be
"The votes cast before election day don't count" sounds approximately as dumb as "the states we didn't compete in don't count." And hey, plenty of people are believers!

pigeon

Banned
And may brainchild RIP. We Berniesters are falling like dominos. I hope I can make it to the convention.

i'm thinkin' you, las7 and orangegrayblue are gonna make it, at least. you're good people, but more importantly, y'all tend to stay calm

And he earns real money for this? Like, legitimate money? Not play money? Shit, I need to get that gig.

i don't think he actually gets paid for this shit, or at least not by huffpost. all their "columnists" are unpaid

Holmes

I prefer Leeann chin myself. Better wontons. Chicken is better at Panda though.

Here in Brooklyn park there's a Leeann and Panda right next to each other. I go with PE maybe 1 in every 10 times.
There's no Leeann Chin here in California. I would try it. I'm really not too crazy for Chinese food actually, but there's something about Panda Express that I really love.

Cat

No. Caucuses only ever do "entrance polls" and even then they're either fact or incredibly inaccurate. It's basically useless information and they didn't do one for any of the states this past weekend.

Dang. Okay, thanks for the info. Well, if anyone who was there, I know at least one person posted about going, maybe they can tell us more, if they are so inclined. I'll go look for the post I'm thinking of.

pigeon

Banned
The problem is that there's nothing inherent to Sanders alienating him from minorities (outside of whitedudebros hehe), as is sometimes implied. He has done well with minorities in more liberal, younger states. So probably the race perspective is not the only layer we should analyze.

Wait, I don't agree with that! I think Bernie is inherently not intersectional enough in his approach to policy and that alienates African-Americans (and me). I am not sure that your evidence is sufficient to disprove that claim!

Now I want Chinese food.

I make crispy orange beef at home. I serve it over Lo Mein I make out of squash or zucchini noodles. It's delicious. Some baby veggies on the side.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think it's pretty clear that Bernie Sanders would be a good president for minorities. I believe their standards of living would improve. I do not think they are choosing not to support him to the nonminorities are because of something inherent to hiiiiim.

Wait, I don't agree with that! I think Bernie is inherently not intersectional enough in his approach to policy and that alienates African-Americans (and me). I am not sure that your evidence is sufficient to disprove that claim!

I don't think intersectionality is really the reason or I think he'd be struggling more with young minorities. I do genuinely believe it is familiarity with Clinton and her focus on racial inequality in and of itself directly in her speeches.

Kyosaiga

Banned
Seriously, we're both better writers than this moron. How do we get in on this shit?

You've watched Fox News and Right Wing Radio get away with this for 20 years, laughing all the way to the bank.

Why is it so hard to believe this exists for the left?

Fuck authenticity

Close, sweetfire chicken is absent.
I'm not sure they had that the last time I went there

Ya'll settling for Panda Express makes me sad.

We have a place where every thing is handmade. She makes handmade Crab Rangoon every day. Shit is on point. When they run out, though, they run out. Old family recipies. Made to order. They have crispy orangey chicken that is just...insane.
oh I'm not settling, I haven't been there in years. I just have memories

This week's NPR politics podcast touched on the topic of Sanders's attractiveness re: ethnicity. He's actually winning Latino 18-29s and barely winning black 18-29s. The split is more generational than ethnicity based, I think.

thcsquad

The maps of the precincts he won suggest he won Hispanics voters there. It's probably reasonable to say that he does better with all minorities the further north you get and maybe even wins Hispanics in certain states.

This was the rahm effect, most likely. The Hillary/Bernie map looks a lot like the rahm/chuy (challenger in the 2015 election) map.

Seriously, we're both better writers than this moron. How do we get in on this shit?
I was really hoping my crayon map in 2012 would have launched a political analysis career.

Granted the 2014 map would have sunk that shit pretty quickly but I'd probably be far more realistic under pressure. For example for all the hubbub about Trump's electoral map being a disaster the only ironclad prediction I'd make in that regard is that his supposed appeal to white working class voters isn't going to do shit for him in the Dem-leaning Midwest states (MN, MI, PA, WI, maybe IA). Bored pundit nonsense.

Gruco

Banned
He lost by less than expected so he's actually winning.

If you ignore all the people who voted against him, he's actually winning!

If wishful thinking bends reality to agree with my personal policy preferences, Sanders is actually winning!

If you run conveniently timed extrapolations of data and don't pay attention to any of the fundamentals of the race, Bernie Sanders is actually winning!

Hillary is Shrill and I irrationally hate her because of the insane bubble my friends on facebook perpetuate. Therefore Bernie is actually winning!

"Well" seems a stretch depending on the particular group.

But inherent problems? Lack of adaptability. Probably built over saying the same thing for 30 years.

It's both.

I agree that Bernie's inability to address issues specific to ethnic groups is a big factor, and he is only winning black early millennials by a 51/49 split, IIRC, so certainly his inability to address issues specific to black folks is a problem for him.

I think, though, considering that Bernie wins 18-29s across gender and race as far as I have seen, the age split is probably the more immediate factor.

He's doing much better among younger African Americans, who would be much more familiar with the concept and language of intersectionality and aware of Bernie's lack of it, than the absolute drubbing he's getting from older African Americans.

Rather, I think it's more that his campaigning in the South was abysmal, he never spoke directly and exclusively to African Americans and their issues like Hillary did (all voters like having their issues made front and center for at least some measure of time by a political candidate), and he's up against literally decades of name brand recognition and good will that the Clintons have built up in their time in the national political spotlight. If anything, what would have killed them coming out and voting for Bernie in the general is the Republicans spamming that Vox tax calculator to every voter in the country and letting them know JUST HOW RADICAL Sanders' proposals are relative to the current status quo and how much of a pinch is going to be put on them to pay for it. Outside of that, I think they would turn out for him just fine, because he does speak to at least some issues African Americans face and was, to his credit, the first candidate to release a fairly comprehensive racial justice platform, albeit he never incorporated it very convincingly into his stump speeches and debate answers.

Owzers

Matthews trump town hall about the abortion penalty was a good, one sided, discussion of trump not knowing what to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom