• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm like 98% sure I'm going to vote for her in the general election.

If she wins the election and cuts a social program to get something done or starts a war, that falls to 0% for re-election.

That's all I'm saying.

Again, is there where I point out Bill Clinton vetoed the welfare reform bill twice?

But, I would hope Hillary Clinton would govern far from LBJ & Truman when it comes to nuking civilian populations or interning entire ethnicity in a certain area due to concerns over their loyalty or selling out the African American community to pass social welfare programs.

I'm like 98% sure I'm going to vote for her in the general election.

If she wins the election and cuts a social program to get something done or starts a war, that falls to 0% for re-election.

That's all I'm saying.

i'm just sayin', she didn't come out in support of cutting anything when the GOP went full hog in fucking that chicken pre-2006, i'm not sure why she would now

(the "starting a war" thing is a legitimate issue and i hope she's as restrained as second-term obama has been, relatively speaking)

T'Zariah

Banned
Again, is there where I point out Bill Clinton vetoed the welfare reform bill twice?

But, I would hope Hillary Clinton would govern far from LBJ & Truman when it comes to nuking civilian populations or interning entire ethnicity in a certain area due to concerns over their loyalty or selling out the African American community to pass social welfare programs.

Uh...what? You got your history waaaaaaaay wrong.

Show the receipts with this shit. I'm not trying to be an asshole about it, but I'm just tired of baseless attacks.

Well she unequivocally supported regime change in Iraq first of all. Oh and she learned her lesson you say? Then why did she support regime change in Libya, which ended in the failed state is is today? Oh she learned her lesson from that too you say? Well why did she support arming rebels in Syria and the no fly zone, the same rabbit hole America was dragged into Libya by? Thank god Obama swatted that idea down, cause then America would've had to carry the burden for that country as well.

Look, Hillary has supported drone strikes and the subsequent murder of women and children. She's supported armies that recruit child soldiers. She kowtows to Israel, to Saudi Arabia. She supports the Palestine genocide. She supports repressing the free speech of anti-Israeli campaigners under the guise of free speech.

Kangi

???

Anyone know the context of that video clip...? Didn't know Bernie had a history of being against space program funding, unless I'm misinterpreting it.

Holmes

What?? I haven't been paying attention to the GOP primaries since March 15th, anything I miss that suddenly makes Trump unlikely???
People being bearish right now for a few reasons. The North Dakota and Colorado conventions are going on and Cruz is going to get most of the delegates there (expected), Cruz is going to win Wisconsin, and the Tennessee GOP just changed their slate of delegates to a more anti-Trump delegation (unexpected but unsurprising). But Trump will win big in New York and on the 26th so it'll go up again after then.

Ecotic

What?? I haven't been paying attention to the GOP primaries since March 15th, anything I miss that suddenly makes Trump unlikely???

He's had one of the worst 2 week campaign runs that I've ever seen. Trump blatantly made fun of Cruz's wife for being ugly, his campaign manager got arrested for assaulting a female reporter and Trump victim blamed the reporter, he made his "there should be some form of punishment" comments about abortion, he taped disastrous 90 minute interviews on foreign policy for the NYTimes and Washington Post where he railed against NATO and nuclear non-proliferation, and he's been bleeding delegates because his campaign consists of a skeleton crew of crazies that he claims are "the best people". Just a total, unmitigated disaster.

He's had one of the worst 2 week campaign runs that I've ever seen. Trump blatantly made fun of Cruz's wife for being ugly, his campaign manager got arrested for assaulting a female reporter and Trump victim blamed the reporter, he made his "there should be some form of punishment" comments about abortion, he taped disastrous 90 minute interviews on foreign policy for the NYTimes and Washington Post where he railed against NATO and nuclear non-proliferation, and he's been bleeding delegates because his campaign consists of a skeleton crew of crazies that he claims are "the best people". Just a total, unmitigated disaster.
If it was anybody else, he'd have died last July.

Her record in the senate showed support for censorship of media (surprised a video game forum would forget about her attempts to link video games to violence), and horrific neoliberal policies like the bankruptcy "reform" legislation.

T'Zariah

Banned
You know it's gotten to the point now that my instant reaction when someone posts something negative about Clinton, I assume it's bullshit and keep scrolling.

Dat Pavlov Conditioning.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Well she unequivocally supported regime change in Iraq first of all. Oh and she learned her lesson you say? Then why did she support regime change in Libya, which ended in the failed state is is today? Oh she learned her lesson from that too you say? Well why did she support arming rebels in Syria and the no fly zone, the same rabbit hole America was dragged into Libya by? Thank god Obama swatted that idea down, cause then America would've had to carry the burden for that country as well.

Look, Hillary has supported drone strikes and the subsequent murder of women and children. She's supported armies that recruit child soldiers. She kowtows to Israel, to Saudi Arabia. She supports the Palestine genocide. She supports repressing the free speech of anti-Israeli campaigners under the guise of free speech.
Oh, so you want her to come out in favor of carpet bombing I get it. LBJ and FDR are the wrong people to talk about if you're pushing an anti-war angle.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
As in, the following post.

no, the juxtaposition of that sentence w/ waynemorse's post, devoid of receipts, calling her a closet republican

Ahh lol.

TBH, if you think Trump is the nominee - go for Sanders. Sanders will do unholy things to Trump even Clinton couldn't. But...it goes on my "running up the score" rant - it's irrelevant. Sanders will stump for the Dems, and if it isn't Trump, get Clinton.

Is Clinton closer to GWB than Bernie? Sure! If the electoral conditions occurred that Sanders beat Clinton? Then it would be your "revolution". But it's not like Clinton is a "bad" candidate in this election.

Hell, I think Trump is doing Clinton's work more than the other way around, but that's just my conspiracy theory. :D

Clinton is very moderate - and they (both Bill and Hillary, because they BOTH are like this) are very much the "we will do what we can to get power, and then do the shit we actually want" type of people; and as much as I think Clinton will not deal with the corrupting influence that is unfettered capitalism; I know that I believe that is the important issue to me. I can't assume that's the most important issue to other people. This primary can be as crazy as it wants on the Dem side. When all is fucking said and done? We make sure that we at least get some progress on our side - be it Bernie or Hillary. If HRC screws us over? We punish the crap out of her in 2018 and 2020. But until that moment? Once HRC clinches it (assuming she does)? We support her. (Unless there's some personal reason not to).

Kangi

You know it's gotten to the point now that my instant reaction when someone posts something negative about Clinton, I assume it's bullshit and keep scrolling.

Dat Pavlov Conditioning.

Then you're on the same page with people who have listened to this stuff for 25-odd years. Can't just scream about how she's the she-devil for that long and assume it will stick one of these days.

Then you're on the same page with people who have listened to this stuff for 25-odd years. Can't just scream about how she's the she-devil for that long and assume it will stick one of these days.

Or maybe there are legitimate criticism of her, and it's extremely disingenuous to conflate those criticisms with the right wing vitriol thrown at her.

Can you justify her non-ending fixation on regime change, or her support of suppression of anti-Palestinian genocide activists?

Holmes

Jesus, what's going to happen when Trump enters the convention with probably 3+ million more votes than Cruz and about 1,150-1,200 pledged delegates and the RNC steals it from him? We all talk about "superdelegates stealing the nomination from x" but this is literally going to happen in Cleveland, without superdelegates. Kind of feel bad for Trump because as much as he and his campaign are pieces of shit, those are votes that he earned and going ahead with stealing the nomination for Cruz is kind of an affront to democracy.

Kangi

Or maybe there are legitimate criticism of her, and it's extremely disingenuous to conflate those criticisms with the right wing vitriol thrown at her.

Yeah, not even a Republican would call her a right-wing plant. Of course, why liberals would think so despite said right-wing vitriol, I don't know.

Yeah, they aren't the same because the right's complaints are reasonable.

The right fundamentally disagrees with her on most issues, so they attack her.

Bernie supporters just make up shit and THEN SCREAM IT UNTIL THEY ARE OUT OF BREATH!

Bowdz

???

Anyone know the context of that video clip...? Didn't know Bernie had a history of being against space program funding, unless I'm misinterpreting it.

Killing the Super Collider was one of the most short sighted decisions the US government has ever made. It would have been a boon for Texas and their universities, US physics in general, and we probably would have found the Higgs Boson a decade before we actually did. We wasted $2 billion for nothing when $12 billion would have done immeasurable good for the US and our scientific community.

I guess her position on social security is no cuts, ever. Fine. You have my support after the primary, Hillary. Don't take it for granted is all I ask.

Can you justify her non-ending fixation on regime change, or her support of suppression of anti-Palestinian genocide activists?

Support for Israel over Palestine (in a macro sense) and a belief in humanitarian internationalism to topple dictators has been part of standard center-left foreign policy liberalism since 1945 and 1918 respectively. Yes, if you're a far left anti-colonial isolationaist who thinks the US should retreat behind its borders, Hillary Clinton is not the candidate for you.

That doesn't make her a right winger though.

Hard not to when r/politics's favorite websites are suddenly breitbart and the washington times.

I'm not r/politics

I don't support Bernie either.

Attacks on Hillary because she's a women or the other silly stuff is wrong, but there are legitimate criticisms of her time in the Senate and Secretary of State you can't deflect with the Bernie bros label.

PBY

Banned
NEW: NDGOP Rep. Kevin Cramer is endorsing Trump tomorrow & has been quietly helping him organize delegates in ND.

Maybe the most shocking thing from Trump this whole cycle.

I'm not r/politics

Attacks on Hillary because she's a women or the other silly stuff is wrong, but there are legitimate criticisms of her time in the Senate and Secretary of State you can't deflect with the Bernie bros label.
This is true. It's probably just best not to immediately undercut your argument by using labels that you know will get focus instead. Ask questions but use fair language.

I'm not r/politics

Ah. You are one of THOSE.

Holmes

NEW: NDGOP Rep. Kevin Cramer is endorsing Trump tomorrow & has been quietly helping him organize delegates in ND.

Maybe the most shocking thing from Trump this whole cycle.
If it can get Trump two or three delegates, that's a win.

I swear to god this thread gets weirder every time I click into it

Introducing the PS3 as a "pizza warmer", for when EviLore re-enables the new fangled SSL:

fL64vYH.jpg

Pizza ingredients (as featured - total cost ~$2.25):

• Stonefire Tandori Naan ($1.25 or $0.75 (each), on clearance)
  • 1.5 oz (43g, 1/4 of 6 oz tin) Organic Tomato Paste ($0.25)
  • 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1/2 cup (57g, 1/4 pack) Sargento 4 Cheese Pizzeria Shredded "real" Cheese ($0.63, when on offer for $2.5 / pack)
  • 1 Organic Plum Tomato ($0.30)
Preparation:

• Place the naan, face down, on the top grill shelf, and grill on normal power level. Regularly check, and when it shows some good color (browned, to firm it up), turn over, and check more frequently (as don't wont it to burn, just brown nicely).
  • Meanwhile, in a small bowl, use a tablespoon to thoroughly mix together tomato paste, olive oil, and some freshly ground pepper (good few turns of pepper mill) and sea salt (couple shakes), until oil is fully combined with paste (to keep remaining paste fresh, for next week's pizza, replace top of tin, and store in fridge, in air tight Ziplok bag etc).
  • When naan has browned (turn off grill), place on a good sized plate etc, and use tablespoon to evenly spread paste over naan, right up to the edges (can use second tablespoon to scrape off any build up).
  • Evenly sprinkle on a layer of cheese (approx, 1/4 pack, maybe a little less), again, up to the edges, which you can do directly from the pack. Strategically re-position the cheese that inevitably missed the pizza, and if necessary, nudge the cheese, to fill in any gaps, and make it evenly distributed.
  • Slice plum tomato into 5(/6) slices, evenly placing them on pizza (see photo). Season each slice with a turn of freshly ground black pepper, and just a little salt.
  • Pull out top grll shelf (to maximum extension), and with assistance of kitchen slice (spatula), position pizza in middle of shelf, dropping on any remaining cheese (from plate).
  • Grill on normal heat until cheese is bubbling, and has turned golden brown (extend shelf, for easy inspection), in about ten minutes, and do not worry if you get a little blackening around edges, as may well add to flavor.
  • Enjoy :) (recommend kitchen slice to transfer back to plate).
I've been thoroughly enjoying my bespoke pseudo pizza recipe, for some time now (good value, for as little as $2), and although hardly a close replica of the genuine article, it totally satisfies my pizza craving, and is likely considerably healthier (if my stomach is any guide, which, as with most "real" food, doesn't put up too much of a protest).

Guys, it's completely fair to ask questions about the candidate you want for president. There is no problem with that.

Of course. There are some legitimate criticisms of Hilary. However, this idea that she is not much different than a moderate republican is just dumb. This primary is also over so I think most people have accepted that Clinton is going to be the nominee.

Holmes

I think for all the doom and gloom about Trump at the convention that's going on, I think the outcome will have have a lot to do with the couple of weeks before the convention, what the final results of the primaries are, and what actually goes on during the convention. If Trump goes in with over 3 million more popular votes than Cruz, Trump's supporters will definitely need to make the case that denying the nomination to the person who clearly won the Republican primary is some shady business. "Will of the people" etc

I guess her position on social security is no cuts, ever. Fine. You have my support after the primary, Hillary. Don't take it for granted is all I ask.

Ya. No cuts at all, and she also opposes any attempt at privatization. No increase in the retirement age. Wants to raise the cap. She's been given a 100% rating by the one senior group....I can't remember which one.

Jesus, what's going to happen when Trump enters the convention with probably 3+ million more votes than Cruz and about 1,150-1,200 pledged delegates and the RNC steals it from him? We all talk about "superdelegates stealing the nomination from x" but this is literally going to happen in Cleveland, without superdelegates. Kind of feel bad for Trump because as much as he and his campaign are pieces of shit, those are votes that he earned and going ahead with stealing the nomination for Cruz is kind of an affront to democracy.
People keep acting like republicans are just going to be fine with it because he didn't get a majority but people are used to politicians winning with pluralities. There will be anger.

T'Zariah

Banned
I think for all the doom and gloom about Trump at the convention that's going on, I think the outcome will have have a lot to do with the couple of weeks before the convention, what the final results of the primaries are, and what actually goes on during the convention. If Trump goes in with over 3 million more popular votes than Cruz, Trump's supporters will definitely need to make the case that denying the nomination to the person who clearly won the Republican primary is some shady business. "Will of the people" etc

I've been saying forever that we will know the outcome of the convention LOOOOONG before any voting happens on the Floor.

Daniel B·;199976376 said:
Introducing the PS3 as a "pizza warmer", for when EviLore re-enables the new fangled SSL:

fL64vYH.jpg

Pizza ingredients (as featured - total cost ~$2.25):

• Stonefire Tandori Naan ($1.25 or $0.75 (each), on clearance)
  • 1.5 oz (43g, 1/4 of 6 oz tin) Organic Tomato Paste ($0.25)
  • 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1/2 cup (57g, 1/4 pack) Sargento 4 Cheese Pizzeria Shredded "real" Cheese ($0.63, when on offer for $2.5 / pack)
  • 1 Organic Plum Tomato ($0.30)
Preparation:

• Place the naan, face down, on the top grill shelf, and grill on normal power level. Regularly check, and when it shows some good color (browned, to firm it up), turn over, and check more frequently (as don't wont it to burn, just brown nicely).
  • Meanwhile, in a small bowl, use a tablespoon to thoroughly mix together tomato paste, olive oil, and some freshly ground pepper (good few turns of pepper mill) and sea salt (couple shakes), until oil is fully combined with paste (to keep remaining paste fresh, for next week's pizza, replace top of tin, and store in fridge, in air tight Ziplok bag etc).
  • When naan has browned (turn off grill), on a good sized plate etc, use tablespoon to evenly spread paste over naan, right up to the edges (can use second tablespoon to scrape off any build up).
  • Evenly sprinkle on a layer of cheese (approx, 1/4 pack, maybe a little less), again, up to the edges, which you can do directly from the pack. Strategically re-position the cheese that inevitably missed the pizza, and if necessary, nudge the cheese, to fill in any gaps, and make it evenly distributed.
  • Slice plum tomato into 5(/6) slices, evenly placing them on pizza (see photo). season each slice with a turn of freshly ground black pepper, and just a little salt.
  • Pull out top grll shelf (to maximum extension), and with assistance of kitchen slice (spatula), position pizza in middle of shelf, dropping on any remaining cheese (from plate).
  • Grill on normal heat until cheese is bubbling, and has turned golden brown (extend shelf, for easy inspection), in about ten minutes, and do not worry if you get a little blackening around edges, as may well add to flavor.
  • Enjoy :) (recommend kitchen slice to transfer back to plate).
I've been thoroughly enjoying my bespoke pseudo pizza recipe, for some time now (good value, for as little as $2), and although hardly a close replica of the genuine article, it totally satisfies my pizza craving, and is likely considerably healthier (if my stomach is any guide, which, as with most "real" food, doesn't put up too much of a protest).

Bro, don't ever change.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Ya. No cuts at all, and she also opposes any attempt at privatization. No increase in the retirement age. Wants to raise the cap. She's been given a 100% rating by the one senior group....I can't remember which one.

Problem is, economically, mathematically, basically every factually / data / mathematical way you look at this...especially after the Bush cuts that already happened....you have to raise the SS age. It's not fair. It's not right. But between Bush cuts and spending that has already happened?..you freaking have to. Period. I say this as someone who will be affected. I'd rather SS be completely cut from my generation then sacrifice it for other generations tbh. Save up the money from us, give it to the generations below us. None of these programs were designed for population booms in a single generation. It is unfair to us. It is wrong to us. It is the sustainable and right thing to do, IMO. I'll give up my share. Just make sure my (non-existent, since, well, chemo made sure I ain't having any kids) kids have a better life than I do.

AARP?

This is kind of one issue I'm a little iffy on w/r/t Democrats holding the line. Obama almost made a deal with Boehner to cut entitlement benefits and the deal only fell through because it didn't go far enough for the tea party. Like I could fully see Hillary taking SS benefit cuts as a compromise in order to get something done.

Like don't get me wrong, it's not like I think she'll get in there and immediately propose gutting everything, but the grand bargain fiasco makes me wary.

Ed: if Cramer is tying himself to Trump and Trump is the nominee, maybe Iron Eye could beat him... Hmmmmmmm... If Democrats want a House majority they'll need some shockers, seats that were never on the table.

Nerokis

Alright, this has been bothering me for awhile. Can someone tell me the name of the much-invoked statistician who was providing rival analysis to Nate Silver during the latter half of last year, particularly in terms of Trump's chances for winning the Republican nomination? Nate was still in his "Trump doesn't have a good chance" phase, whereas this other person saw Trump as the overwhelming frontrunner. I don't think it was Tyler Pedigo. Michael something, maybe?

I know that's not a ton of detail to go on, but someone here must have an idea who I'm talking about. This has been a thorn in my side for way too long. I can't ask myself "who was that guy again?" forever.

I'm no Clinton fan, but the idea that general election polling is at all valid right now, when most of the country has not had the massive tax increases Bernie is calling for blared at them at full volume for two months, is laughable. I think Clinton is a pretty weak candidate who is only strong because of the complete implosion of the Republican party, but Sanders would be a disaster for the Dems in a general election. There are valid reasons why people don't want the tax and welfare structure dramatically overhauled in a single president's term, and to act like everybody who maybe doesn't want to pay $10,000 more per year in taxes to pay for single payer healthcare that may not even be better than, or even as good as what we have now, is just a neoliberal shill is silly. People budget their lives around having to pay a certain amount of money in taxes, and they don't want that kind of uncertainty in their lives because, shock of shocks, life is already hard. You can raise taxes a little bit at a time to gradually expand welfare programs that already exist, but the kinds of conditions that spurred Americans to support MASSIVE welfare expansions like the New Deal and Great Society just aren't present in contemporary America.

Edit: Also, I'm in favor of raising the retirement age by two years, because people are living WAY longer now than they were when Social Security was passed. Pairing that with a removal of the cap on the social security tax would probably eliminate a substantial amount of the shortfall and make more minor solutions to shore up the rest more palatable.

Makai

Alright, this has been bothering me for awhile. Can someone tell me the name of the much-invoked statistician who was providing rival analysis to Nate Silver during the latter half of last year, particularly in terms of Trump's chances for winning the Republican nomination? Nate was still in his "Trump doesn't have a good chance" phase, whereas this other person saw Trump as the overwhelming frontrunner. I don't think it was Tyler Pedigo. Michael something, maybe?

I know that's not a ton of detail to go on, but someone here must have an idea who I'm talking about. This has been a thorn in my side for way too long. I can't ask myself "who was that guy again?" forever.
Nate Cohn, Larry Sabato, and Sam Wang are the big names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom