• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Sanders say he can still win.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/277784-sanders-i-can-still-win

If you completely ignore Superdelegates, and Bernie wins every single delegate in California, he can win!

The video seems bugged out. I'm getting audio but a completely different visual.

"Not only are we winning an overwhelming majority of the Democratic votes, but we are winning Independent votes and some Republican votes as well."

[edit] The finally fixed it but it's the same audio so...is he serious about "winning the overwhelming majority of democratic votes"? I mean...

Why do we hate Garland again? Like what about his extensive experience in jurisprudence that's had him considered for nomination multiple times, and his current position as basically the highest judge outside of the Supreme Court makes him a terrible pick.

That would truly suck so much. If Democrats slay Trump in the fall they should get a 45 year old intellectual firebrand to inaugurate the era. Democratic Senators better join in and stop Garland.

It would be such a fitting end to Obama's Presidency though. Half a loaf of admittedly meaningful change.
Garland is (probably) fine. On the principle that the president's nominee should get a hearing and a vote, I think he's earned it - if the Dems grill him on wedge issues and he kind of sucks, then sure, vote him down.

Don't know why people are so convinced that he wouldn't be a sufficiently liberal justice, there really isn't an apples-to-apples record to pick apart w/r/t most major SCOTUS cases and how he's ruled. Want to know how he would rule on Citizens United? Give him a goddamn hearing.

shinra-bansho said:
Why do we hate Garland again? Like what about his extensive experience in jurisprudence that's had him considered for nomination multiple times, and his current position as basically the highest judge outside of the Supreme Court makes him a terrible pick.
I don't know. I can only assume it's a result of dissatisfaction with Obama for not being liberal enough, and a further inference that if he's nominating someone to the Court they must not be liberal enough either (even though the two he's already nominated have been fucking fine).

I was thinking has Clinton ever started making massive excuses for why she didn't win a state the way Sanders has about almost every single one of them. Even tonight he implied that he lost the four he did because they were closed primaries unlike the wide open RI won that he was so proud to have won.

The video seems bugged out. I'm getting audio but a completely different visual.

"Not only are we winning an overwhelming majority of the Democratic votes, but we are winning Independent votes and some Republican votes as well."

LOL

How in the fuck he is winning the overwhelming majority of Democratic votes. If he was winning the overwhelming majority of democratic votes he'd be winning the fucking primary.

Joeys_Rattata

Neo Member
tumblr_inline_o4rxxqIsjg1tb0ry4_500.gif

What is the context for this? It doesn't look like Canadian Big Brother.

Ha, well it's Bernice from South Beach Tow.

Pinnocchio1.jpg

smh but what can I expect from a bunch of corporate shill hillary supporters

It's from a show called the World's Strictest Parents where they send a couple unruly British teenagers to super strict households across the world so they can be straightened out.

That particular gif is from an episode where the kids are sent to Barbados, and the 16 year old in the gif is telling the mom that he can smoke at 16 because the legal smoking age in the UK is 16, and she says

"YOU ARE NOT IN THE UK. YOU ARE IN BAR (clap) BA (clap) DOS (clap). AND YOU ARE AN ADULT AT 18 YEARS OLD."

I know because I just went on a World's Strictest Parents binge like 4 days ago and she was my fav strict parent lol

I was thinking has Clinton ever started making massive excuses for why she didn't win a state the way Sanders has about almost every single one of them. Even tonight he implied that he lost the four he did because they were closed primaries unlike the wide open RI won that he was so proud to have won.
You tend to make a lot of excuses when you're on one side of a race

BanGy.nz

Banned
The media should really just stop giving Sanders any attention at this point and just freeze him out.
I hope the media hang around and pester him with questions about delegate math, supporting down ticket races and supporting Hillary in the general election.

I love your avatar <3

Not really. She knows the game and realizes its pointless. Most of what I've heard from the campaign for reasons they lose is just "they perform badly at caucuses". Outside of that there hasn't been some new reason going from state to state. They lose they move on to states they can win.

LOL

How in the fuck he is winning the overwhelming majority of Democratic votes. If he was winning the overwhelming majority of democratic votes he'd be winning the fucking primary.

Maybe he's not counting democrats in "southern" states. I can actually see them trying to parrot that shit out there.

Ecotic

Garland is (probably) fine. On the principle that the president's nominee should get a hearing and a vote, I think he's earned it - if the Dems grill him on wedge issues and he kind of sucks, then sure, vote him down.

Don't know why people are so convinced that he wouldn't be a sufficiently liberal justice, there really isn't an apples-to-apples record to pick apart w/r/t most major SCOTUS cases and how he's ruled. Want to know how he would rule on Citizens United? Give him a goddamn hearing.

Yeah he's probably fine. He would just be 20 years too old from being ideal and still something of an unnecessary gamble. If Democrats have the opportunity to get whoever they want after the election though it would be irresponsible to their constituencies and interest groups not to. I bet it could buy Hillary a lot of goodwill among a lot of friends to go for a true advocate.

pigeon

Banned
That would truly suck so much. If Democrats slay Trump in the fall they should get a 45 year old intellectual firebrand to inaugurate the era. Democratic Senators better join in and stop Garland.

It would be such a fitting end to Obama's Presidency though. Half a loaf of admittedly meaningful change.

Garland is great, liberal, and universally acclaimed to be great on the law. I honestly have no idea why people decided to not like him.

Garland probably won't go along with writing law as a judge which many would view as a missed opportunity to do for the left what Thomas and Scalia did for the right in terms of enacting their political agenda.

Garland is great, liberal, and universally acclaimed to be great on the law. I honestly have no idea why people decided to not like him.
Age might be a legitimate issue, but I think it's mostly the same people who are drowning themselves in salt that Hillary is winning.

Nothing "the establishment" does or supports can be good, and Obama is certainly a part of the establishment.

He probably forgot to add "in some states" after "overwhelming majority".

As for independents/republicans, no one can deny that he does better with them. If every state was an open primary with same day registration, Bernie would have clinched the nomination many moons ago, or at the very least, around the time that he started beating her nationally among Democratic voters.

But this is all pointless. "Could've, Should've, Would've" is a loser's argument through and through.

Ecotic

It's not a matter of lack of qualifications, just one of timing and advantage. He's a terrific consensus pick to be confirmed for a particular set of circumstances in March 2016. In November though he's a waste of a free point.

Republicans gambled on not confirming Garland and in November it's time to make them pay for a bad move.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Age might be a legitimate issue, but I think it's mostly the same people who are drowning themselves in salt that Hillary is winning.

Nothing "the establishment" does or supports can be good, and Obama is certainly a part of the establishment.

I would add there probably is someone more likely to be a leader or warrior for liberal interpretations on the court. He's not exactly the next Warren or the left's version Scalia.

But given the circumstances, expecting that is placing expectations far too high. Maybe replacing RGB in 2018 is the time to find someone like that.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hillary:

Open or Semi-Open Caucus: IA,

Open or Semi-Open Primary: SC, AL, AR, GA, TN, TX, VA, MS, IL, MO, OH,

Closed or Semi-Closed Caucus: NV, AS, NM,

Closed or Semi-Closed Primary: MA, LA, FL, NC, AZ, NY, CT, DE, MD, PA

Bernie:

Open or Semi-Open Caucus: MN, ID, UT, WA

Open or Semi-Open Primary: VT, MI, WI, RI

Closed or Semi-Closed Caucus: CO, KS, NE, ME, AK, HI, WY

Closed or Semi-Closed Primary: NH, OK, DA

Bernie has won 8 open contests to Hillary's 12. Bernie has won 10 closed contests compared to Hillary's 13.

Hillary:

Bernie:

Bernie has won 8 open contests to Hillary's 12. Bernie has won 10 closed contests compared to Hillary's 13.

Yeah but the South doesn't count.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo NX coming next March, not at e3 :mad:

No way they're launching the system without a proper e3 hyping. That'd be like launching a Paul Ryan presidential campaign after the Republican National Convention just 3 months before the general election.

ivysaur12

Banned
7 hours until the polls close. FUCK.

MD: C+30
PA: C+13
DE: C+12
CT: C+2
RI: S+1

I don't have faith in the sweep

Real:

MD: C+29.7
PA: C+12.1
DE: C+20.6
CT: C+5.2
RI: S+12.5

Swing and a miss on Rhode Island, but there was no polling and I got the winner right. Solid on everything else, though I could've been more bullish on Delaware.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2016/04/22/3771366/dave-hannah-edwards-transgender-kindergartner/

How insecure of a human being do you have to be to be terrified that your children will hear about transgender people? How did these people make it through life? Go back to your safe space of our home, assholes, quit bullying little girls. Jerk off with sandpaper or some similar activity.

Fucking awful but man what a badass fucking set of parents that kid has. She's gonna grow up to be an amazing young woman I can tell.

One of the last things she said about Nova was that it made her grumpy because nobody believed or wanted to call her a girl. That was because one of her classmates had directly said to her, &#8220;My parents told me it&#8217;s a lie that a boy can ever be a girl, and so that I can never call you a girl. You&#8217;re not a girl.&#8221; Hannah doesn&#8217;t think a kindergartner came up with that kind of rhetoric on their own.

Holy fuck. Adults can go fuck themselves. I can't even imagine a parent literally telling their kid to throw hate speech at a fucking 4 year old with impunity. Using your fucking kids as a weapon of hate.

Y'know, our primary down here in SC was wide open!

Worked wonders for Sanders.

Hillary:

Bernie:

Apparently you guys missed the "with same day registration" part of my post. Bernie has a much better advantage when independents can actually vote in the primary without get locked out due to registration deadlines. His independent support in an open primary is meaningless if they can't actually participate.

Are we going to pretend that Bernie doesn't do significantly better with independents? Has there been a single contest where Hillary has won the majority of independents?

Not that any of this matters. Rules are rules.

Nintendo NX coming next March, not at e3 :mad:

This was the biggest news of the night, and I'm FUCKING FURIOUS!!!!!

Apparently you guys missed the "with same day registration" part of my post.

Same day registration is awesome, but if slackers and those that pandering to them need it, fuck them. Seriously.

FYI, I voted for Bernie in Ohio, where anybody can vote for anything (including Republican and Democratic party primaries), if they are just registered to vote.

Yeah, we have to be registered a whole 30 days in advance. That's fucking reasonable.

Kangi

The only states with no voter ID laws, no caucuses, open primaries and same day voter registration:

Hillary: IL

Bernie: NH

Cool.

Well, I mean. If you get rid of all of the states whose names don't start with "V" and end with "T", Bernie wins in a landslide!

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2016/04/22/3771366/dave-hannah-edwards-transgender-kindergartner/

How insecure of a human being do you have to be to be terrified that your children will hear about transgender people? How did these people make it through life? Go back to your safe space of our home, assholes, quit bullying little girls. Jerk off with sandpaper or some similar activity.

Also holy fuck the comment section on that article is fucking toxic.

Same day registration is awesome, but if slackers and those that pandering to it need it, fuck them. Seriously.

FYI, I voted for Bernie in Ohio, where anybody can vote for anything (including Republican and Democratic party primaries), if they are just registered to vote.

Yeah, we have to be a registered a whole 30 days in advance. That's fucking reasonable.

He does better with independents who would bother to vote in a Democratic primary (or in a long as hell caucus).

I'm not making excuses for the guy. Just explaining that he can indeed have a majority of democrats, independents, republicans, and still be unable to win primaries due to rules.

I mainly brought this up because people were wondering how it could be possible for him to have all this support and still be losing. Now we know how it's possible. Doesn't change reality though.

The only states with no voter ID laws, no caucuses, open primaries and same day voter registration:

Hillary: IL

Bernie: NH

Cool.

Well, there is that home state advantage with IL, but more importantly, the independent's share of the electorate is an important factor. Of course, that share will vary from state to state, but overall it would result in Bernie getting the nomination if the rules were in his favor.

Even in Illinois, he won most of the independents.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm not making excuses for the guy. Just explaining that he can indeed have a majority of democrats, independents, republicans, and still be unable to win primaries due to rules.

I mainly brought this up because people were wondering how it could be possible for him to have all this support and still be losing. Now we know how it's possible. Doesn't change reality though.

Well, there is that home state advantage with IL, but more importantly, the independent's share of the electorate is an important factor. Of course, that share will vary from state to state, but overall it would result in Bernie getting the nomination if the rules were in his favor.

Even in Illinois, he won most of the independents.

He doesn't have the majority support of Democrats. He may have the support of Independents who choose to vote in the Democratic primary, but he's not winning the majority of open primaries where they can vote. And in the ONE SATATE with same-day registration and no voter ID laws that are open primaries, he lost that one state.

You may feel that he would win. That's fine, you're entitled to feel that way. I feel that if it were an open contest with all of your stipulations, he'd still be losing because he chose not to compete in the South and Hillary's margins would probably increase slightly in caucus states. He still would be losing black voters by huge margins, especially in the South, and it'd be hard for him to over those deficits. Again, you can feel that he can. But I don't see it.

Pssshhh. While I think New York should certainly have a shorter registration deadline, most states that Bernie loses in the primaries he'd be fine in (with the same rules) if he just had non-white support. He'd be winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom