• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad no one thought she'd be a good senator

Hey, maybe Trump can pick her as veep. One failed millionaire female Senate candidate trying to buy herself a seat in a blue state for another. The difference is Fiorina wasn't stupid enough to try it twice.

5yOyE.gif

damn North-East Liberals made Vince cry

kess

Fiorina is the real kicker though. I mean, it's not like there's a dearth of elected women in the Republican party if you really had to pick someone. Susanna Martinez, Kelly Ayotte, Nkki Haley, all of whom would be more positive picks even if they don't pass the Cruz Purity Test.

johnsmith

remember me
I think HW Bush if anything is more respected now than before. He's certainly more respected than his son, and his idea of what a GOP should look like is probably more electable than the current GOP.

But people will probably never forgive him for raising taxes, even though it was the right thing to do!

He was definitely the best GOP President in my lifetime (born 1980) and I say that as faint praise, rather than damning praise.

But he's 91 years old and in no position to be a party leader. He looked awful when they showed him during one of the debates.

PBY

Banned
I think the idea behind the Carly announcement isn't "this is the action that will solve our problems." It's more "this is the only thing we have left to try." It's not a move from confidence. It's a move from desperation.

Desperate times, desperate measures.

Forreal. It is funny though that picking a veep is a good move as a hail mary, but I honestly think he had no one else he could turn to beside carly.

Too bad no one thought she'd be a good senator

Hey, maybe Trump can pick her as veep. One failed millionaire female Senate candidate trying to buy herself a seat in a blue state for another. The difference is Fiorina wasn't stupid enough to try it twice.

If he picked her for VP he'd gain the entire WWE Universe as supporters, because they totally go along with anything the McMahons tell them to.

Fiorina is the real kicker though. I mean, it's not like there's a dearth of elected women in the Republican party if you really had to pick someone. Susanna Martinez, Kelly Ayotte, Nkki Haley, all of whom would be more positive picks even if they don't pass the Cruz Purity Test.

But they also all have careers. Possibly they have futures. Tying themselves to a failed Ted Cruz campaign is a huge career risk.

Fiorina, however, has nothing to lose.

Ted Cruz announcing a VP pick when he's so far behind is not going to sit well with Conservative voters. He'll get a lot more third place finishes from here on out honestly.

Like is there an example of another candidate announcing a VP whilst they are currently being crushed as badly as cruz?

Havoc2049

Romney ran a weak campaign. At his very best, Romney could have maybe won a Bush 2000 squeaker type election. After the debates, I knew he was done.

Fiorina doesn't even live in California anymore (get ready Virginia!) and was never popular there anyways. What very little political good will she had left after several bad political losses is being wasted by joining Cruz. Cruz is starting to become a joke and is going to lose badly in Indiana.

I actually thought that Trump gave a strong foreign policy speech today in DC. Clinton is going to have a hard time defending Libya, Egypt, Benghazi, Syria and the current migrant crisis in the Middle East and Europe.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think HW Bush if anything is more respected now than before. He's certainly more respected than his son, and his idea of what a GOP should look like is probably more electable than the current GOP.

But people will probably never forgive him for raising taxes, even though it was the right thing to do!

He was definitely the best GOP President in my lifetime (born 1980) and I say that as faint praise, rather than damning praise.
Nothing helped Bush more than having his son be an awful President.

I don't see it happening admittedly. But again, who else do they have they can look to as a senior figure?

Nobody. They've all either died, or lived long enough to embarrass themselves.

People like Newt, W, Romney and Dick Cheney have embarrassed themselves so much, they can't be used as examples of what the GOP should strive for. McCain is a mess. Boehner is a mess. Ryan is a mess. Everyone who could possibly command any sort of respect, or had some respect (like McCain), have thrown it all away by riding the crazy train.

Versus the Democrats who have Clinton (both of them), Biden, Obama, Kerry, and Carter who are huge, well known, well respected Democrats. And in the reserves they can pull out people like Pelosi and Gore who might be not as popular, but still people that everyone knows and most people respect. The number of well know, respected Democrats is high.

Obama is going to be out there campaigning for Democrats for 30+ years. The GOP in 30 years will have absolutely nobody who has been with the party and been so respected for that long.

Forreal. It is funny though that picking a veep is a good move as a hail mary, but I honestly think he had no one else he could turn to beside carly.

Carly likely has dirt on Ted.

Remember that $500k that went from a Ted PAC to a Carly PAC? That the FEC was taken aback by?

I don't see it happening admittedly. But again, who else do they have they can look to as a senior figure?

It's obvious. Who's the guy they've been trying to push to run for the last few months?

Paul Ryan. He's had quite the rise through the party. And honestly, if he can keep his position through the tumultuous Republican party metamorphosis that's going on, he could become a serious power broker in a cycle or two. It's a big if, but he's set up for it. He's young and hopefully has plenty of years left in his life.

Imagine in 8 years, when the whole country is looking back at the nightmare that was the Republican party. A new, compassionate, willing to compromise, conservative party could exist. He's got a chance to be the figurehead.

But yeah, for right now, he really makes a shitty party leader.

And he shouldn't have shaved that beard.

Colin Powell would probably be their best surrogate, but he endorsed Obama. Twice.

And that really sums up the problem. The party has gotten so extreme that anyone who still has any credibility has either thrown their lot in with the Democrats or is so far removed from the party's center that they wouldn't make for a good advocate. Like imagine if Liz Warren was still able to feel at home in the GOP. It's like they closed the big tent and moved into a broom closet.

Nothing helped Bush more than having his son be an awful President.

His friendship with Bill Clinton was a really good look too, right as things were starting to get *really* partisan too.

But enough about HW.

A GOP supporter on my facebook wall posted this:

Cruz should have announced this a few weeks ago if he announces this week. After last night's losses and being mathematically eliminated it may be too late.

It's doubly hilarious to me.

HylianTom

Banned
Ted Cruz announcing a VP pick when he's so far behind is not going to sit well with Conservative voters. He'll get a lot more third place finishes from here on out honestly.

Like is there an example of another candidate announcing a VP whilst they are currently being crushed as badly as cruz?
All those people who Carly axed at HP? Those voters in California are going to looooove showing their thanks to her in the voting booth.

It's obvious. Who's the guy they've been trying to push to run for the last few months?

Paul Ryan. He's had quite the rise through the party. And honestly, if he can keep his position through the tumultuous Republican party metamorphosis that's going on, he could become a serious power broker in a cycle or two. It's a big if, but he's set up for it. He's young and hopefully has plenty of years left in his life.

Imagine in 8 years, when the whole country is looking back at the nightmare that was the Republican party. A new, compassionate, willing to compromise, conservative party could exist. He's got a chance to be the figurehead.

But yeah, for right now, he really makes a shitty party leader.

And he shouldn't have shaved that beard.
Ugggggh. I don't know how I'd feel about a new Paul Ryan-led Republican Party. Dude can't even lead his own caucus.

But yes, I see that he's angling for such a role.

Maledict

Well, Carly is a decent attack dog against Clinton, and given the republican voters prioiritse beating her above everything else - maybe the thought was Carly would increase Cruz's standing amongst that group of voters?

I dunno. Carly Fiorina is one of the truly most repellant people in politics. It really amused me that her theme during the primaries was she was running because power and wealth was being concentrated in the hands of the few. That's right, the millionaire who tried to buy herself a senate seat, and who was roundly rejected by the people, somehow feels thats her campaign message.

Colin Powell would probably be their best surrogate, but he endorsed Obama. Twice.

And that really sums up the problem. The party has gotten so extreme that anyone who still has any credibility has either thrown their lot in with the Democrats or is so far removed from the party's center that they wouldn't make for a good advocate. Like imagine if Liz Warren was still able to feel at home in the GOP. It's like they closed the big tent and moved into a broom closet.

What about Condi Rice?

Edit: nm
In early December 2008, Rice praised President-elect Barack Obama's selection of New York Senator Hillary Clinton to succeed her as Secretary of State, saying "she's terrific". Rice, who has spoken to Clinton since her selection, said Clinton "is someone of intelligence and she'll do a great job".[104]

PBY

Banned
A Paul Ryan GOP would be bad, but it would be better than what we have now...

... I think?

Legit have a hard time answering this.

*Sees Cruz and Carly news*

Hahahahahahaha really.. Really.. Dumb.

No. He should pick HERMAN CAIN.
If Sarah or Herman were his VPs.. Oh god.. That would be the greatest.

Newt GingrichVerified account
‏@newtgingrich
This was a serious foreign policy speech by Trump. It is worth reading and thinking about. It will be ridiculed by Washington elites.

speaking of veeps...

I.. Could see that?

I think that this new Republican party would have a new Paul Ryan leading it. And I think he only gets there by being brave enough to work together with Democrats in the House. Admittedly, a big risk.

I heard Ryan on MSNBC this morning defending Donald Trump. I think the GOP establishment is starting to accept him as their nominee. Seeing a lot of praise for his laughable foreign policy speech today lol

A Paul Ryan GOP would be bad, but it would be better than what we have now...

... I think?

Legit have a hard time answering this.

Pros: Likes immigrants.

Cons: Wants to eliminate all of the federal government other than Social Security, Defense, and Medicare. Hates women.

PBY

Banned
I heard Ryan on MSNBC this morning defending Donald Trump. I think the GOP establishment is starting to accept him as their nominee. Seeing a lot of praise for his laughable foreign policy speech today lol

See... I really don't think that praise is weird for the speech.

that speech is what the party believes in. ipso facto...

Brinbe

They're rallying around Trump! This is the best! Just imagine how many seats we can flip in the fall. Glorious. Their downballot prospects are FUCKED

I think that this new Republican party would have a new Paul Ryan leading it. And I think he only gets there by being brave enough to work together with Democrats in the House. Admittedly, a big risk.
The best (or worst) thing that could probably happen to him is if Democrats got within a couple of seats of winning the majority, but fell short. I have to imagine it'd be much easier to go "Sorry guys, we need to work with them" when only 2 or 3 dissidents in your own party could block a bill (assuming the Democrats were uniformly opposed).

If they still have a comfortable majority, the Freedom Caucus will still feel empowered to be shitheads. If Pelosi was Speaker again, there would probably be too much pressure to just oppose everything she does. If he wants to take this role as a pragmatic deal maker, a really tight majority would be his best bet.

PBY

Banned
I'd relax. Haven't Coulter and Gingrich always been Trump fans? For a few months, at least.

Yep.

Another fact nugget re: Carly
Squarely Rooted
‏@squarelyrooted
Fiorina would be the first major-party VP nominee since Sargent Shriver to have never held elective office.

HAHAHAHAHAHA YESSSSSSSSSSSS HE'S GOING TO BE THE FUCKING NOMINEE
We all believed.. We had our doubts.. But we believed.. :)

I know, right?
It really would be a good pick for him thinking it over some more.

I don't think he's brave enough to do it. He won't go at the Freedom Caucus and try to isolate them and work with the Dems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom