• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think South Park can be funny, but literally having one of the characters give a monologue at the end of the episode explaining the message is a bit much.

Iolo

Sounds like Sanders is toning down the criticism

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/725779530837811200

I can live with that. Low-key criticism on substantive issues is totally fine.

I'm cool with this. Although, several times when a reporter has tweeted something like this in the past, during the middle of his speech, they have followed up with a later tweet like "whoops and now he is attacking Clinton by name".

It does seem like he cooled it a bit at his rallies in Indiana yesterday.

hawk2025

A nice article on voting by a couple of nobel laureates:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/o...ity-rule-might-have-stopped-donald-trump.html

Replacing plurality rule with majority rule would improve American primaries. More broadly, an understanding of the critical difference between a plurality and a majority could improve politics around the world. In an open letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi in India, Gopal Gandhi, Mahatma’s grandson, wrote that “69 percent of the voters did not see you as their savior,” adding that they also “disagreed on what, actually, constitutes our desh” (our country).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I do think South Park can be funny, but literally having one of the characters give a monologue at the end of the episode explaining the message is a bit much.

The entire last season had a running joke about everyone telling Kyle to stop giving speeches.

Yeah, but how many democrats actually have an unfavorable view of the ACA?

EDIT:

Went ahead and looked it up myself. Close to 80% of democrats have a favorable view of the ACA. Its Republicans and independents who overwhelming hate it.

Right. But that 20% makes a difference. that's 8% who want it further the left among Dems (that also don't approve).

That's enough to move the needle a few percentage points, overall. It's about 49-38 unfavorable right now. But if those Dems voted favorable, it would be like 45-43 or some such.

edit: Had no idea that since January it went from even to unfavorable again.

Former Sanders staffers are launching a new PAC aimed at midterm Congressional elections:
http://www.salon.com/2016/04/28/thi...pac_aimed_at_midterm_congressional_elections/

Now we will see if this revolution is over policy/ideology or Sanders himself.

Honestly what we really need is to get the left to focus on state legislative seats. Getting control of as may state governments as possible (particularly by 2020) is, in many ways, even more important than getting control of Congress.

PBY

Banned
Dan PfeifferVerified account
‏@danpfeiffer
Between the fumbled Cruz-Kasich deal and the bizarre Fiorina announcement, the disciplined Cruz campaign seems to coming off the rails

That's my take too.

That's parody of 80s sitcoms (and some cartoons). At least I always took it that way.

Certainly there is truth to this, particularly with the variations on "we learned a valuable lesson." Still it's hard to ignore that the speech often is a straightforward statement of Matt Stone and Trey Parker's (typically libertarian) views.

The entire last season had a running joke about everyone telling Kyle to stop giving speeches.

Honestly I haven't really seen the last season as it's the kind of show I tend to catch in random reruns. If they've recognized that the speeches are played out the way they did with killing Kenny off every episode, that's good.

PBY

Banned
This is the most succinctly I've seen a non-IN path for Trump put:

Taniel
‏@Taniel
Trump can lose NE, MT, SD and every single district in WA & IN
—and still get to 1237 if he wins NJ, WV, & 40 of 53 CA districts.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is the most succinctly I've seen a non-IN path for Trump put:

Taniel
‏@Taniel
Trump can lose NE, MT, SD and every single district in WA & IN
—and still get to 1237 if he wins NJ, WV, & 40 of 53 CA districts.

Yeah, this is over. No brokered convention. Trump v. Hillary.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Megan Kelly on Trump's women comments: "Some would say he was on television playing a role, being provocative."

DWS: "Megan he said those things on the debate stage... about you."

She forgot about it when she saw who was writing her paychecks.

are these real quotes?
Yeah, its a bit of a paraphrase, the exact quote was:

KELLY: "On the woman issue, you know that he has said, look, I made a lot of comments when I was an entertainer, when I was hosting a show and needed to be a provocateur."

WASSERMAN SCHULTZ: Megyn, he made them on the debate stage about you. So this is way beyond that he was entertaining. While he was running for president, he has spewed hateful, misogynistic rhetoric that is unacceptable in any forum but certainly coming from a presidential candidate, and the policies are even worse.

In fairness I think she was kind of setting up an answer from DWS by just saying what Trump's response would be to the accusation.

ApharmdX

Banned
It's amazing to watch the GOP botch the last election they truly had a chance at winning with their current policy positions.

This will be taught in game theory classes for decades to come.

Yeah, all they needed was a likable center-right Republican running a big-tent campaign with populist positions, this could have been their year. The Tea Party, and the Republican base as a whole, has basically torn the entire thing to shreds. In November I think we'll look ahead and wonder when there can ever be another Republican president.

Sounds like Sanders is toning down the criticism

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/725779530837811200

I can live with that. Low-key criticism on substantive issues is totally fine.

This is a relief.

Honestly I'm glad Sanders is planning to stay in, so long as his attacks don't get too heated. People are going to want to vote to endorse his message, and I think the healing within the party will be easier if they get a chance to do so (and not just technically for a campaign that's been suspended).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is there a place I can short brokered convention futures?

Predictit.

At this point I moved everything I made, which has been like $300, into the general election. That was enough to get me 500 shares, so by the time I come out of this election season I'll be $450 or so up. Easiest money I ever made.

AXFbcuH.png

It's 5pm and I'm drunk because I just got out of probably my last class at Uconn

Applied to work for 4th CT district house rep Jim Himes.

Gee I hope I get it. I hope I get IT

The unequivocal stance against "trade" is still dumb.
I think it's funny how people are acting as if Mexico completely screwed us over in the NAFTA deal

If anything it's the complete opposite.

Mexico got killed because of our agricultural industry. Almost all produce other than avocados in Mexico were Grown here. They can't compete because their government doesn't subsidize their farmers

The main trade component of the decline of US manufacturing was opening of markets and supply chains to China. This isn't really a secret, it isn't something that economists will refuse to admit when talking about the effects of trade. Industries at a competitive disadvantage will decline without protectionist barriers and these tend to be highly localised.

But it was already declining prior to this, and to the implementation of NAFTA due to technology and/or productivity improvements.

The gains to society are much more diffuse, but still significant and its still generally agreed they outweigh the negative impacts.

PBY

Banned
Ryan StruykVerified account
‏@ryanstruyk
Brand new @ABC count updated after our team called every unbound delegate:

Trump 996
Cruz 568
Rubio 167
Kasich 154
Uncommitted 58
Other 16

drudge-siren.gif
drudge-siren.gif
drudge-siren.gif

ivysaur12

Banned
‏@ryanstruyk

Trump 996
Cruz 568
Rubio 167
Kasich 154
Uncommitted 58
Other 16

drudge-siren.gif
drudge-siren.gif
drudge-siren.gif

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWOWOWOWOWOWOW

HE'S GONNA FUCKING DO IT

The main trade component of the decline of US manufacturing was opening of markets and supply chains to China. This isn't really a secret, it isn't something that economists will refuse to admit when talking about the effects of trade. Industries at a competitive disadvantage will decline without protectionist barriers and these tend to be highly localised.

But it was already declining prior to this, and to the implementation of NAFTA due to technology and/or productivity improvements.

The gains to society are much more diffuse, but still significant and its still generally agreed they outweigh the negative impacts.

You're not gonna win on free trade in the midwest.

I'm fine with parts of the party opposing it and having obama do what he's doing with TPP and using republican votes.

I also like dems negotiating the deals because I think they tend to mitigate the bad effects that republicans wouldn't give two craps about (mostly in regards to the negative effects for overseas countries rather than the US)

User1608

Banned
Honestly I'm glad Sanders is planning to stay in, so long as his attacks don't get too heated. People are going to want to vote to endorse his message, and I think the healing within the party will be easier if they get a chance to do so (and not just technically for a campaign that's been suspended).
Agreed. He can do some good and hopefully repair some of the damage he has done (in reference to Trump talking about what Bernie has said).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
‏@ryanstruyk

Trump 996
Cruz 568
Rubio 167
Kasich 154
Uncommitted 58
Other 16

drudge-siren.gif
drudge-siren.gif
drudge-siren.gif

He's really going to pull it off, holy shit.

CCS

Banned
‏@ryanstruyk

Donald "That baby was driving me crazy" Trump 996
Cruz 568
Rubio 167
Kasich 154
Uncommitted 58
Other 16

drudge-siren.gif
drudge-siren.gif
drudge-siren.gif

Can't stump.

Won't stump.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Him outperforming his polling in Tuesday's contests really finished it. Projections of him clenching the required number of delegates did not take that into account.

I will probably always wonder if the stupid moves by Kaisch and Cruz were part of the reason, or just the acceptance of Trump as the nominee.

PBY

Banned
Sarah McCammon NPRVerified account
‏@sarahmccammon
Speaking now in Oregon, @JohnKasich says he has "thought deeply" about whether to continue his campaign.

Sarah McCammon NPR ‏@sarahmccammon 23s24 seconds ago
Kasich hasn't said yet what he's decided about his presidential campaign, but he's recounting his career.

Oh.....?

Is he dropping? Guys...?

ivysaur12

Banned
Him outperforming his polling in Tuesday's contests really finished it. Projections of him clenching the required number of delegates did not take that into account.

I will probably always wonder if the stupid moves by Kaisch and Cruz were part of the reason, or just the acceptance of Trump as the nominee.

I really think it was those PA unbound delegates. He has really been doing a poor job getting those on his side in CO/WY/ND, but he put in the work there and it paid off.

CCS

Banned
My mind really does struggle to comprehend how much of a complete asshole Ted Cruz must be. There's literally no one who's said anything kind about him and sounded at all sincere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom