• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's not going to win Indiana, her internals probably show her down. But that said, it doesn't really matter anymore unless Bernie wins 70% in every upcoming state.

Her campaign is still there. She went there personally a few days ago, and some of her surrogates like Bill are doing events there.

Iolo

Her campaign is still there. She went there personally a few days ago, and some of her surrogates like Bill are doing events there.

I did see that earlier. So I don't know what MSNBC is talking about, I thought their plans had perhaps changed. Maybe MSNBC were referring to the zero ad spend.

Anyway, I think it is a good idea to keep campaigning in the primary states. You can still espouse your general election message, and it may help prevent an accidental blowout loss and subsequent bogus momentum talk.

I still don't think she's going to win IN. If she did, it would be demoralizing for the Sanders campaign.

Brinbe

Yes even Trump knows he doesn't have a hope in hell in California. Why Halperin thinks so is a mystery (well he has The Circus and is trying to be impartial).

Not sure if posted:
Insiders: Clinton would crush Trump in November

If party insiders, feel this way, it's already over. Not that it's surprising for those of us who have paid attention. But I do wonder how long this it will take for that reality to sink in among the broader electorate. And if the media will ever even acknowledge it or just push that horserace till the bitter end even if polling and other factors say different.

Since 92, people have just come to expect deeply contested Presidential contests. But this is gonna be like an 88 and Trump is the GOP Dukakis.
MOgLJ1W.png

At her best, I think she could crack 400+ electoral votes too.

bkWZxto.png

Something like this if Trump really fucks up this fall and everything breaks right for HRC.

I feel bad for the ones who have gotten so stuck in a loop of thinking that they might snap when it all comes crashing down. Some of them seem to have gotten so stuck into conspiracies and this make believe scenarios they've concocted that they can't get out.

When she wins on the first ballot
When he concedes and fully endorses her and starts campaigning for her
When she isn't indicted and the FBI finds no wrong doing
When Donald Trump gets crushed in every single debate
When she becomes President of the United States

But how could we lose against this corrupt shill
But how could those emails amount to nothing
Why does nobody care about her speeches
How come she wasn't indicted
How come Bernie betrayed us
I worked so hard
I spent so much money
How did she do this, how is this happening, everyone loved him, loved us. Everyone I know loved him. She had nobody. Nobody likes her. Nobody could possibly like her.

I am legitimately afraid someone is going to have a psychotic breakdown over this. Some people don't even seem able to fully grasp that she won't be indicted and that nobody really cares all that much about her emails.
Personally I can't wait for Hillary to accomplish some genuinely progressive things (don't get me wrong I'm sure she'll do some shitty things too) like say a minimum wage increase, or a student loan reform bill, or the Equality Act or her SCOTUS justices move to strike down Citizens United.

Like, "Well, I still don't trust her! Just because she's done all of these things doesn't mean she ACTUALLY supports them!"

I still don't think she's going to win IN. If she did, it would be demoralizing for the Sanders campaign.

They're already demoralized. They have barely been phone banking at all this last week, and barely anyone on S4P seems to care anymore. Sanders himself barely even seems to care.

Zona

I feel bad for the ones who have gotten so stuck in a loop of thinking that they might snap when it all comes crashing down. Some of them seem to have gotten so stuck into conspiracies and this make believe scenarios they've concocted that they can't get out.

I worked so hard
I spent so much money
How did she do this, how is this happening, everyone loved him, loved us. Everyone I know loved him. She had nobody. Nobody likes her. Nobody could possibly like her.

I am legitimately afraid someone is going to have a psychotic breakdown over this. Some people don't even seem able to fully grasp that she won't be indicted and that nobody really cares all that much about her emails.

I think one of our bigger flaws as a species is the tendency to think that ones own experiences are generalizable to the whole of humanity and that's our own perspectives and opinions are, if not universal, then at least the default.

I worked so hard
I spent so much money

bxXLD58.gif

Crocodile

Bernie: "Democrats have not made it clear which side they are on in the major issues facing this country"

They haven't? What exactly does this mean? I mean not all Democrats agree on all things from a policy or process standpoint (true of any political party) but I think its clear the general direction the vast majority of Democrats want to head towards on most issues. This "Us vs. Them" narrative he loves to drive home is pretty obnoxious and I'm not sure is at all helpful.

I think one of our bigger flaws as a species is the tendency to think that ones own experiences are generalizable to the whole of humanity and that's our own perspectives and opinions are, if not universal, then at least the default.
Yup. I'm very far left liberal (in terms of modern US politics) but I recognize that I am far from the center. I wish more people would realize this. I hang around young, liberal, mostly white people, many of whom are still in college. Most of them are really disappointed that Sanders couldn't pull it off. It's like... well when was the last time you talked to an old black person about politics (a group that went 96-3 Clinton in SC)? Few people in the crowd I run with get the perspective of actual Clinton supporters and they definitely don't seek it out.

Iolo

They're already demoralized. They have barely been phone banking at all this last week, and barely anyone on S4P seems to care anymore. Sanders himself barely even seems to care.

They're still talking about winning with pledged delegates and winning IN because it's an open primary.

But you're right, they have moved on to the next stage, complaining the FBI investigation is taking too long.

Brinbe

Good piece, following up on the idea that 2016=1988
http://theconversation.com/why-hillary-clinton-is-the-real-heir-to-bush-senior-53462

Like Ronald Reagan, Barack Obama has presided over an economic recovery. In 2010, the yearly average unemployment rate peaked at 9.6% – eerily, almost the exact same average figure that Reagan faced during his second year); today, it’s been brought down to around 5%.

If such an economic climate persists, it seems probable that Clinton will benefit from voters' goodwill. If historical precedent is anything to go by, plenty of people will be happy to reward the incumbent party with another spell in the White House.

Just as Bush did in 1988, Clinton is bidding to follow a two-term president who has amassed a significant legacy, both with regards to policy and in reshaping his party’s electoral coalition.Similarly, Clinton is already portraying herself as the protector of Obama’s legacy, notably at a recent Democratic debate where she championed the current president’s accomplishments on health care, financial reform and relations with Iran. Should Obama’s numbers begin to tick upwards during 2016, as Reagan’s did during 1988, expect to hear more of this from Clinton.

By most standards, Bush senior and Hillary Clinton remain by far two of the most qualified people to be serious contenders for the presidency in modern political history. By 1988, Bush had been a congressman, senator, ambassador to the UN, director of the CIA and, of course, vice-president. While not quite matching that extraordinary CV, Clinton is hardly lacking in the experience column, having been a near co-governor and co-president in both her stints as first lady of Arkansas and then the United States, as well as senator and secretary of state in her own right.

History, as they say, doesn’t repeat itself, but often rhymes. Despite the fact that, unlike each of their predecessors, both Bush and Clinton have been known to campaign in prose rather than poetry, it now seems more than likely that between them, they will complete a neat stanza in presidential politics.

Makes tons of sense.

HylianTom

Banned
Good piece, following up on the idea that 2016=1988
http://theconversation.com/why-hillary-clinton-is-the-real-heir-to-bush-senior-53462

Makes tons of sense.
Bush also got to lurch the court to the left when he replaced Thurgood Marshall with Clarence Thomas. Hillary replacing Scalia with a solid liberal would be yet another bizarro/coincidental parallel.

Hell, if there's an economic slowdown in the next four years, the parallel would continue.

Who's going to be the bizarro Murphy Brown? And the bizarro Dan Quayle?

Considering that the whole thing is over now, I wonder what would the strategies between I Hillary vs Trump.

Trump favourability is extremely low among nearly every demographic. I'm sure he might try to improve them, but I would imagine that will be a herculean effort, and I doubt he'll be competent at it. Plus, the dems will keep hammering him. He'll would be on the defensive and the party would be too. The Republicans would have a separate campaign that is more about the house and senate, and attempt to distance themselves from Trump. I don't think that too will work in some areas, mostly because that some Republicans won't be confident in Trump or the congressmen. I would also think that in any opportunity, the Democrats will connect a congressman and Trump. I think Trump might want to have his cake and eat it too, as in he'll be bombastic, but less so and try to look more professional. He might try to have a minority VP to help with his image probably Ben Carson or Susana Martinez .

If party insiders, feel this way, it's already over. Not that it's surprising for those of us who have paid attention. But I do wonder how long this it will take for that reality to sink in among the broader electorate. And if the media will ever even acknowledge it or just push that horserace till the bitter end even if polling and other factors say different.

Since 92, people have just come to expect deeply contested Presidential contests. But this is gonna be like an 88 and Trump is the GOP Dukakis.
MOgLJ1W.png

bkWZxto.png

Something like this if Trump really fucks up this fall and everything breaks right for HRC.
Yes broken GOP, donors not really interested in financing a billionaire's campaign and a potential 3rd candidate from the conservative movement and it's going to get very ugly.

And Trump will just walk away from all of it after it's reduced to dust.

George Takei has a GREAT video on why people need to rally around Hillary once the primary is over, even though he was a Bernie supporter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNtTQ8ijJMQ
Wise words from a wise man.

Really speaks to the pragmatism and battle wounds of older Democrats. If people took every loss as an excuse to sit out there would be no one left. If people don't want to play the game anymore because they lost, that's on them. The rest of the world will keep playing.

Literally no one is talking about Fuckorina anymore. I can't believe they thought this would be a thing. I am assplode.

Even Politico, true shitheap of the internet, has like one article on how bad she is today and that's it.
Shakespeare would weep if he had lived to see Fuckorina

ivysaur12

Banned
Yes even Trump knows he doesn't have a hope in hell in California. Why Halperin thinks so is a mystery (well he has The Circus and is trying to be impartial).

Not sure if posted:
Insiders: Clinton would crush Trump in November

Added a North Carolina Democrat, “Hillary Clinton will put North Carolina back in the blue column. She will also have long coattails in North Carolina, helping Roy Cooper take back the Governor's Mansion and in quite possibly the biggest upset this cycle, help Deborah Ross defeat Senator Richard Burr.”

hnnnnnnnnnng

That fits nicely with this news:

Clinton shifting staff to general election swing states

Hillary Clinton’s campaign is redeploying its army of primary election staff to traditional general election battleground states in preparation for a campaign against Republican Donald Trump, according to a senior campaign official.

The initial deployment is likely to hit states that have swung between Republicans and Democrats in recent cycles, according to the official, such as Ohio and Florida.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...inton-general-election-swing-states/83706128/

If some of you remember I put all my faith in trump/hillary for my game

We are pretty sure its them? I have been stressing a bit lol

Seems I made the right choice in putting a lot of cruz too, feel happy about my choices a few months ago.

Teggy

The most stubborn Bernie people seem to have the following two excuses:

1) If Democrats want independents to vote for them they should nominate someone that appeals to independents.

This I can at least understand. However, it then leads to this:

2) They would rather Trump be president because he'll only last for 4 years and will get nothing done.

This is just delusional and I don't understand how one could think this at all.

When faced with the Supreme Court being tilted at minimum, another person explained that they are less concerned with Supreme Court decisions than the 1000s of Iraqis that Hillary's wars will kill.

The most stubborn Bernie people seem to have the following two excuses:

1) If Democrats want independents to vote for them they should nominate someone that appeals to independents.

This I can at least understand. However, it then leads to this:

2) They would rather Trump be president because he'll only last for 4 years and will get nothing done.

This is just delusional and I don't understand how one could think this at all.

The first one is a fallacy that independents are actually independent or "swing" voters. Bernie appeals to people who are more left of the party, and most independents vote party lines but are much more extreme or fringe on their views and don't feel the party of their choosing represents them.

Not only that, but there is also a portion of Bernie supporters who don't even vote democrat and waste their vote on green party bullshit, so it's almost like the vote was never lost, because it was never their to begin with. And the people who threaten to never vote Hillary or want Bernie to go third party probably have a high crossover with the people who always vote Green Party.

If some of you remember I put all my faith in trump/hillary for my game

We are pretty sure its them? I have been stressing a bit lol

Seems I made the right choice in putting a lot of cruz too, feel happy about my choices a few months ago.

Either two things will happen imo

1) Trump gets nomination and GOP runs it's own third party candidate

2) Trump gets pledged delegates but GOP pulls the rug under his feet and fucks him over in a final grasp at saving the party and Trump runs third party.

I think option 1 is most likely and overall less damaging to the GOP long term.

ampere

:( Wish we could get Garland on there ASAP. Midterm elections... sigh

bkWZxto.png

Georgia going blue

Me IRL:
giphy.gif

Comment in an r/SFP thread links to an article (http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ten-reasons-why-you-should-ignore-exit/) by Nate Silver in 2008 explaining why relying on exit polling is a fool's errand, and expounds on why trying to use them as evidence of election fraud when there is a discrepancy is horribly misguided. Response: "Can't be trusted, 538 is clearly backing Hillary"

Seriously, why is reading this subreddit such a guilty pleasure?

---

On a more on-topic note, thanks for posting the article that examined the topic of - 'if Bernie did have a comeback, would it be a truly novel first or has this happened before?' (http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-sanders-comeback-would-be-unprecedented/) - I had been asking myself that very question for a few days. I'm glad someone did the work and researched it.

Comment in an r/SFP thread links to an article (http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ten-reasons-why-you-should-ignore-exit/) by Nate Silver in 2008 explaining why relying on exit polling is a fool's errand, and expounds on why trying to use them as evidence of election fraud when there is a discrepancy is horribly misguided. Response: "Can't be trusted, 538 is clearly backing Hillary"

Seriously, why is reading this subreddit such a guilty pleasure?

---

On a more on-topic note, thanks for posting the article that examined the topic of - 'if Bernie did have a comeback, would it be a truly novel first or has this happened before?' (http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-sanders-comeback-would-be-unprecedented/) - I had been asking myself that very question for a few days. I'm glad someone did the work and researched it.

Honestly it's just time to ignore that subreddit, for as much entertainment it brings it clearly doesn't show the average Bernie supporter at this point, and just the most insane, extreme wing of what ever political movement they think is going on but really isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom