• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump Said to Lack Plan for Fundraising, Running Mate Vetting

On the cusp of the Republican nomination, Donald Trump has no blueprint for raising the estimated $1 billion he'd need to take on the Democrats and no process in place to begin vetting vice presidential contenders, according to multiple people familiar with the campaign.

He says he has no plan to win a contested convention in Cleveland, confident he can succeed on the first ballot. And one month into the leadership of Paul Manafort, the strategist Trump hired in late March to professionalize his campaign, the internal squabbling hasn’t died down.

The lack of long-term planning highlights one of the Republican party's biggest concerns about Trump: whether he can shift from insurgent bomb-thrower running on the force of his personality to Republican standard-bearer with a professional presidential operation. Trump's advisers defend their approach.

“I think the campaign is totally focused on winning the nomination on the first ballot and positioning for the race against Hillary Clinton," said Roger Stone, a longtime Trump ally, "and they’re well aware of both the opportunities and challenges they face in terms of fundraising and the vice presidency.”

Some Trump insiders say it’s hard to see much difference under Manafort so far – and suspect Trump still would have won the last few races without the changes to his campaign. Even Trump's early attempts to look more "presidential" have been uneven, with his trademark combativeness flaring again and his first formal foreign policy speech this week being widely panned.

“It’s hard to be a successful candidate wrangler when the candidate won’t be wrangled,” Republican strategist Alex Castellanos said of Manafort. “It’s pretty clear that Donald Trump is his own campaign strategist, campaign manager and chief tweeter.”
Trump’s campaign will certainly grow and become more efficient, Castellanos said. “There is little point in judging his campaign by the standards of any previous effort. This is a totally different animal,” he said.
Campaign manager Corey Lewandowski dismissed doubts, saying Trump and his aides have been underestimated before.
“This campaign has proven we can achieve things that others can’t,” Lewandowski said.

National party officials usually default to the nominee for convention program planning and hefty fundraising for down-ballot races, but no joint account between Trump and the Republican National Committee exists yet (Mitt Romney had one by April last election cycle) and it’s unclear if and when the campaign would take the reins. The Republican National Committee will have accounts in place "very shortly" -- for all three Republican candidates, said RNC spokesman Sean Spicer.

And not everyone is worried. Pennsylvania GOP chairman Rob Gleason, who was among the swing state leaders who Manafort has singled out for private meetings recently, said he thinks Trump aides “really want to get the party on board and they recognize that Donald Trump needs the Republican Party's organization to win in the fall.”

“It’s clear to me that the Trump campaign knows exactly what it’s doing,” Gleason said, adding that Trump will soon have the race clinched. "A lot of people are getting ready for Donald Trump.”

More at the link.

So is he going to loan to his GE campaign?

NeoXChaos

May Meltdown- dramatis
All May Contest

June Showdown- Adam287
All June contest

*PoliGAF 2016 Republican Nomination Winner results will be on June 8th. Winners will be announced and PM'd
*Veepstakes is going to be in PoliGAF

2016 Republican National Convention-b-dubs
2016 Democratic National Convention- NeoXChaos

1st Presidential Debate-b-dubs
Vice Presidential Debate-Ebay Huckster
2nd Presidential Debate-kingkitty
3rd Presidential Debate-Holmes

General Election 2016-Aaron Strife

Democratic Debates
May-pigeon

Updated

What do you guys think Hillary's cabinet will look like? Is she going to keep Obama's defense/national security people? And in all seriousness what will be Huma's role?

Iolo

For more amusement, read how they "predicted" the North Atlantic would go last Tuesday: https://thepoliticalanalyzer.com/2016/04/23/sanders-leads-in-the-north-atlantic-by-5/

The bottom few paragraphs are particularly telling - his analysis is basically adding in an arbitrary "discouragement" modifications based how excited he thinks the Bernie camp is at the moment.

https://thepoliticalanalyzer.com/2016/04/26/today-is-the-beginning-of-the-end-of-social-networks/

Today is the Beginning of the End of Social Networks. Today is the Beginning of a New Era of Web. Today Bernie Sanders, Berners, Americans have suffered a coup d’état. Today Bernie decides which side to stay. Today Bernie puts on the agenda the Facebook regulation because has acquired too much power as a large bank and We Break ‘Em Up that is too big.

Today is the day when Bernie decides to run for Presidential Elections. Today is born the Third Party. Today is the end of the Oligarchia and the Post-Democracy that Bill Clinton has set up in 1999 by deleting the Glass-Steagall Bill. Today, his wife, his dangerous wife, has undermined the foundations of American Democracy in accordance with the Rothschilds who own Facebook Inc.

Today is the Beginning of The End of Communism Neoliberal.

tagged: Frank Delano Roosvelt, Fraud

Bowdz

What do you guys think Hillary's cabinet will look like? Is she going to keep Obama's defense/national security people? And in all seriousness what will be Huma's role?

It's almost certain that Michele Flournoy will be Secretary of Defense. State could be Leon Panetta or a host of any other qualified politicians. Huma will be Chief of Staff or personal advisor depending on what she wants.

Fox318

Goldman Sachs executives, MPAA and RIAA executives like Chris Dodd, AIPAC Leaders, Pauley Shore, and/or Tim Gunn.

Tim Gunn knows how to shoot.

NeoXChaos

Ogy14NJ.gif

You guys have an unhealthy obsession with that s4p subreddit. Yes, many of them are delusional, but none of them are posting here.

I'm starting to think that this fixation on crazed Bernie supporters has to do with the lack of strongly opposing opinions in this community. Who knows, but whatever the case, I'd rather not see ridiculous subreddit post #688324788 when I come into a poligaf thread.

Has Benchmark posted their final projections for Indiana yet?

Ehh, it's a peak into the mind of madness and horrible extrapolation

I wish we had more actual policy discussion, but when every Bernie supporter I talk to ends up being "I don't trust Hillary because of Iraq and Wall St., why do you trust her?", it's hard to have discussions.

Politics involves understanding the way relevant interest groups are thinking and acting.

Seeing what an important part of the Sanders grassroots campaign like Reddit is up to is not an obsession, it's part of the game. That a ridiculous article floats to the top is an indictment on their movement, not us.

One could easily say no one here understood how the Bernie campaign actually gained traction if we ignored Reddit. None of them are posting here because we are irrelevant as an interest group; They are not.

I think we're all beyond the point of merely understanding how this group (who are pretty much Ron Paul supporters 2.0) gained traction; we have a pretty firm grasp on how they operate, as their behavior is nothing new, and to paint the incessant mockery of that subreddit as some sort of case study is disingenuous at best. Hell, a case study of r/politics would actually be an interesting discussion compared to what we're having now (and it's one we've already had several times on poliGAF). Also, speaking of case studies, we might want to do some of poligaf, as the level of insular thinking is off the charts, and has resulted in a very skewed perspective in many discussions here.

Anyway, don't wanna derail the thread to argue about this, just wanted to note an observation.

Carry on.

ivysaur12

Banned
I hope Trump picks someone completely inept like Mary Fallin for VP because he thought he needed a woman and she's the only Republican woman who doesn't hate him.

hawk2025

I think we're all beyond the point of merely understanding how this group (who are pretty much Ron Paul supporters 2.0) gained traction; we have a pretty firm grasp on how they operate, as their behavior is nothing new, and to paint the incessant mockery of that subreddit as some sort of case study is disingenuous at best. Hell, a case study of r/politics would actually be an interesting discussion compared to what we're having now (and it's one we've already had several times on poliGAF). Also, speaking of case studies, we might want to do some of poligaf, as the level of insular thinking is off the charts, and has resulted in a very skewed perspective in many discussions here.

Anyway, don't wanna derail the thread to argue about this, just wanted to note an observation.

Carry on.

I'm not being disingenuous, and I resent the suggestion that I am because I don't agree with you that sharing certain links is problematic.

That's not a particularly productive way to foster healthy conversation.

Carrying on.

How far out from a primary does Benchmark politics typically post their projections?

Whenever they're done, I think. They posted their Indiana projections a couple of days ago.

Benchmark Politics ‏@benchmarkpol 23h23 hours ago
Rep model done! I'm confident in it. Trump 42% - Cruz 40% - Kasich 17%. Writeup to come later. #IndianaPrimary

Benchmark Politics ‏@benchmarkpol Apr 28
Indiana Benchmarks done. Clinton 50.5% - Sanders 49.5%. Writeups to come from @icoggins1. Sneak peek at counties.

ivysaur12

Banned
Benchmark said they might rerun their model now that there are a lot more polls showing Clinton up by a decent margin in Indiana fwiw

I hope Trump picks someone completely inept like Mary Fallin for VP because he thought he needed a woman and she's the only Republican woman who doesn't hate him.

I have some money on Susana Martinez being the pick. They will wrongly think that it will solve his problem with women and hispanics.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ah, OK. What are the general margins?

Clinton + 5, another Clinton + 8 just got published which is what triggered them saying they're going to rerun.

I have some money on Susana Martinez being the pick. They will wrongly think that it will solve his problem with women and hispanics.

I don't think she'd take it. She thinks she has a political future. And she's already denounced him at every turn and said she wouldn't be his VP pick. There was an NYT article about it today.

NeoXChaos

Hillary is definitely up in IN. By how much is the question. It could be another OH.

Brian Howey
‏@hwypol
INPrez: Hillary Clinton to campaign in Indianapolis on Sunday. Details coming . . .

their internals must be showing this.

NeoXChaos

My guess is internals now show she's up, but it's open so it's harder to poll. I still think it'll be close.

its open so its possible some Sanders people will try and help or stop Trump like in OH.

Nate still cant explain how she did so well in OH despite his model saying otherwise.

Why would she do it? She has a future in the party. Trump is going to pick someone desperate or someone stupid. Cruz showed us what the desperate choice will look like with Fiorina: someone with no appeal to anyone, who realizes he/she has no future and thus jumps on the team for the hail mary try. The stupid pick would be him doubling down on the "outsider" argument and selecting someone like a fellow celeb, a retired general/military official, etc.

Clinton + 5, another Clinton + 8 just got published which is what triggered them saying they're going to rerun.

I don't think she'd take it. She thinks she has a political future. And she's already denounced him at every turn and said she wouldn't be his VP pick. There was an NYT article about it today.

Oh? Maybe I should get my money out lol, I haven't been paying very much attention to possible VP picks on either side lately.

royalan

It really seems like Cruz and Trump are in a competition to see who can piss off California Latinos more.

My facebook feed is fucking ablaze right now.

It really doesn't matter who is the nominee now. Both the Drumpf and Cruz are fucked with Hispanics at this point. That demographic alone will lose them the GE.

It honestly didn't matter months ago. The GOP is like the group of people in the Donner party who were talking about eating their Native guides and were overheard. Doesn't really matter if they decide not to do it after hours of debating it, the guides ran off and aren't coming back.

lol if Indiana turns out to be another Ohio

What will the excuse be this time? That it was a Romney state, even though it went for Obama in 2008?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom