• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

User 406

Banned
I don't think this is true, though I do think it means theTrump voter doesn't really prioritize bigotry as an issue overall.

One of the things that sustains systemic racism is exactly that kind of deprioritization of racial justice issues. Which is in turn enabled by strident defenses of how people who consistently vote for policy platforms that just so happen to bolster systemic racism aren't racists.

Why does no journalist call them out on this shit? There. Will. Not. Be. A. Contested. Convention.

Chris Hayes just sat there as her mouth spewed word diarrhea and that was it. Christ.

VRMN

They're just positioning themselves before the inevitable platform fight.

What fight? You need a majority of delegates to change that too. Clinton's not going to give Sanders shit the way he's going about this. She. Does. Not. Need. Him.

Crocodile

Why does no journalist call them out on this shit? There. Will. Not. Be. A. Contested. Convention.

Chris Hayes just sat there as her mouth spewed word diarrhea and that was it. Christ.

With All Due Respect was the only show that called them out on that shit. I have no idea why everybody else is just taking it. It validates that perspective. Same nonsense that leads to putting people who have no clue what they are talking about next to well-versed scientists for the sake of "balance".

BanGy.nz

Banned
What fight? You need a majority of delegates to change that too. Clinton's not going to give Sanders shit the way he's going about this. She. Does. Not. Need. Him.
I expect he'll add paragraph or two about Citizen United, $15 minimum wage and importance of opening up the primary process.

Is a contested convention even possible in a two person race?

Why does House of Cards think that Montana, the Dakotas, and Nebraska are significantly more important places to campaign for president in than Wisconsin?

ChYu89VUcAAsN5m.jpg

The HoC US must just have different electoral dynamics than we do. I mean the fact that Underwood was a white Democratic congressman in modern-day South Carolina already implies that, kinda.

The HoC US must just have different electoral dynamics than we do. I mean the fact that Underwood was a white Democratic congressman in modern-day South Carolina already implies that, kinda.

But still... like 12 people live in Montana. Even if it was a swing state... do we really need a dozen trips there?

I expect he'll add paragraph or two about Citizen United, $15 minimum wage and importance of opening up the primary process.

No. If every delegate is pledged to one of either candidate then one will necessarily win a majority. It's only contested/brokered if it goes to a second vote and the delegates have to wheel and deal with each other to get someone a majority.

If he means contested in the sense that there's more than one candidate on the ballot then

6253294221_204f337d9b_n.jpg

The Democratic convention will be "contested" the same way the UFC heavyweight title would be "contested" if you put me in the ring with Fabricio Werdum. Technically that would be accurate, but it would be over almost instantly.

One of the things that sustains systemic racism is exactly that kind of deprioritization of racial justice issues. Which is in turn enabled by strident defenses of how people who consistently vote for policy platforms that just so happen to bolster systemic racism aren't racists.

Well sure, there's going to be negative racial consequences when people deprioritize racial issues. I have a very negative reaction to people voting for Trump, but I'm not gonna call them racists. A complete lack of empathy sure, but how is that different from any conservative "fuck you I got mine" issue people vote for?

ivysaur12

Banned
Isn't it technically a contested convention because Hillary will need supers on the first ballot? Either way, she'll only need a handful and we all know how this ends.

VRMN

Isn't it technically a contested convention because Hillary will need supers on the first ballot? Either way, she'll only need a handful and we all know how this ends.

No. A contested convention is a convention when we go in not knowing who the nominee is. Clinton will be called the presumptive nominee once she passes the threshold including supers.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I really think this is an awful gimmick. The whole "democratic candidate alternate" thing.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think there's a commonly agreed upon definition of the difference between a contested convention and brokered convention.

I assume Bernie's use is the one that just means that there'll be 2 people on the first ballot, instead of having all candidates drop out before the convention happens, while saying a brokered convention happens when no one wins first ballot.

Others say contested is only if it reaches second ballot and brokered is only when things are so unbelievably fucked with no one having a chance at 50% on any chance to the point the rule makers have to come in and change the rules to get a candidate.

The second ballot situation is so rare I don't think there's been a chance to really popularize a precise meaning.

User 406

Banned
Well sure, there's going to be negative racial consequences when people deprioritize racial issues. I have a very negative reaction to people voting for Trump, but I'm not gonna call them racists. A complete lack of empathy sure, but how is that different from any conservative "fuck you I got mine" issue people vote for?

I guess the question is, why not call them racists? They're voting for racist policies, which is a racist act.

The reluctance to call out racism as racism is part of the problem. Reducing the definition of racism to purely overt displays only serves to enable and absolve colorblind racism.

The thing is, racism isn't some irredeemable comic book evil! People can become less racist if they're willing to listen and change. But if they're constantly assured that they're not being racist when they really are, they're not going to figure it out.

Clefargle

If you believe r/s4p and r/politics then yeah. But they will accept anything to have a party as divided as the GOP nowadays. Hilarious

NeoXChaos

Contested = no one has a clear majority of the delegates to be nominated

Brokered = nobody wins the nomination on the first ballot therefore it is brokered requiring x ballots until someone gets a majority and is nominated.

Last "brokered" convention was in 1952. Last "contested" was in 1976.

Ford went into 1976 with a plurality. PA unbound delegates gave him the number he needed to get the majority.

Stevenson in 1952 took 4 ballots to be nominated. Eisenhower required 2.

Maddow was pro Bernie, but she's clearly tired of the bullshit
Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat. I voted for him mainly because I think it's really cool to have a candidate running on such a leftist platform in the US (one I tend to agree with more than the incrementalism approach, although I recognize that it's far less likely) but he's being a sore loser about it.

I also don't hate Hillary or even dislike her which made me a lot more chill about how the primary would shake out.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat. I voted for him mainly because I think it's really cool to have a candidate running on such a leftist platform in the US (one I tend to agree with more than the incrementalism approach, although I recognize that it's far less likely) but he's being a sore loser about it.

I also don't hate Hillary or even dislike her which made me a lot more chill about how the primary would shake out.

Great, you're a "message" voter. Go sit in the corner and feel bad about what you did.

When Hillary is president, we will put annoying message voters in jail while we get to fixing America.

QUEEN RULES ALL

NeoXChaos

If there were more Bernie people like you we'd be making really good progress and getting along. A lot of them don't like Hillary. Double standards for her and not Obama. Obama gets off free because he's likeable but when Hillary does something he did its "she is a crook", "cant trust her" "that cunt" etc.

One reason I'm happy NY voted late, I may of voted for him if it was in Feb but after all the shit he pulled I switched my vote. I'm pretty much neutral positive on Hilldawg, yes there are certain aspects about her/her campaign that I hate for sure, but overall I'm generally happy she's going to be the nom. Sadly I don't think she will fill the Islamic Shock hole in my heart, though I'm doubtful anyone ever will.

Great, you're a "message" voter. Go sit in the corner and feel bad about what you did.

When Hillary is president, we will put annoying message voters in jail while we get to fixing America.

QUEEN RULES ALL
But I really just wish he (or at least someone with similar views but probably more competent/resourceful) could be president.

It's just. You know. I don't find Hillary to be a bad alternative.

I don't care who anyone votes for in a primary as long as they stick to the party in the general. You can write in Kucinich for all I care

NeoXChaos

Speaking my mind to the Sanders supporters posting Breitbart crap for the most part.

is r/politics going to be cleaned up after he loses or are they going to become Bernieis45 ala hilarryis44 and switch to pro-trump for the fall?

The first 15 articles and Hillary is the subject of 10 of them ranging from the FBI to coal comments to that DNC Politico story.

is r/politics going to be cleaned up after he loses or are they going to become Bernieis45 ala hilarryis44 and switch to pro-trump for the fall?

The first 15 articles and Hillary is the subject of 10 of them ranging from the FBI to coal comments to that DNC Politico story.

I honestly have no idea. I hope it'll go back to what it was this time last year, which was basically the reddit version of PoliGAF pre-yass. But maybe the well has been too poisoned.

ampere

I sorta felt like my vote for Bernie in the primary was a protest vote of sorts. I wouldn't do that in the GE as there's too much at stake, but I assumed Bernie wouldn't win the nomination and still wanted to support his cries for socialized university, $15/hr, single payer, etc.

In hindsight, I should have done more research and been a bit more realistic as I do have a problem with the disingenuity of advocating things like single payer when they are not even remotely possible and a person who is running for president should have proper advisement to know this. I also didn't realize he was anti-nuclear, which is a damn shame on my part for not properly investigating the candidate. I knew about the GMO thing and it did bother me, but that alone wasn't enough to dissuade me completely.

Also fuck Bernie for saying "the south doesn't matter" when a bunch of us went out and voted for him. Like c'mon son how dumb do you have to be to straight up disrespect an entire region of people? Not to mention the racial implications of that statement given the southern democratic electorate

Armaros

Not unless the mods get cleaned out. The mods there are basically doing anything they can to drown that isn't pro-bernie or anti-hillary.

Thats why you see 5 copies of the same anti-hillary story on the front page. Or they remove some stuff because it isn't the same title as the news article, but garbage like the "Politico shows money laundering from Hillary' stays up to feed the Bernie Upboats. When that isn't remotely the same title listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom