• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
Early 90's even. Like...1992 early.

Speaking of 1992

AhUSKva.png

Also, speaking of 2008

7y5ju92.jpg

xesNvj1.png

I fully understand why the rollout would be incremental, but I don't see why Bernie should pay interns more than what they would actually be paid under his policy just because the economic burden isn't the same. They are interns after all.

Now, if they were regular employees, your point of observation would carry more weight, as he should be paying them more than the minimum if he believes that a living wage starts at $15/hr.
Fuck intern programs, especially in government. What a terrible employment situation. DC is a really expensive city. And it's exploitation of students, another of Bernie's supposed constituencies. The fact he isn't walking his talk here is one of the biggest strikes against him. He has plenty of money to distribute to his staff.

Clinton did the kicking and screaming in 08. Let Bernie whine. It'll be over in 5 weeks.
He says things that actively harm the candidate he purports to tacitly support.
Republicans are used to voting for racists and sexists who are otherwise conservative. The difference is that Trump is not even "otherwise conservative." Racism and sexism is his platform. He's a once-in-a-generation shitbag with literally no qualifications to run on. If that's not enough to get you to vote Libertarian it's not because you're a conservative.
I wonder why Republicans aren't pushing for Gary Johnson? Former Republican governor seems like a safer bet than Cruz.

Nice to see you back in a politics thread!
Because seriously impactful racist policies essentially won't happen. We have checks and balances in this country.
There are seriously impactful racist (and sexist and homophobic and transphobic and ... ) policies passed all the time. Checks and balances are fine when you're not the one being discriminated against, and waiting for those C&B to happen.

East Lake

Oh, you mean this footage?
https://youtu.be/ksIXqxpQNt0

She didn't once say she wants to put coal companies out of business. She just said it's going to happen - and in later elaborations, she mentioned that's because of both fracking and increased regulations - and that we need to do something for the people who it's going to affect, e.g. bring the clean energy jobs to those areas.

And that's why she was in West Virginia. To reach out to West Virginians. Because, as with everything about Hillary, she cares.
That coal is going to die isn't even an expectation of the current administration.

Ernest Moniz was at the National Coal Council just a few days ago talking about coal technology if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkUoDLaMFlU

Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz was in Lexington for a forum at the University of Kentucky on energy innovation, including research on removing carbon dioxide from emissions at coal-fired power plants.

In an interview, Moniz said the administration is committed to a future with less carbon going into the atmosphere, but it does not advocate ending the use of coal for electricity production in the U.S.

“Make no bones about it — we start with the assertion, the commitment, that we are talking about a progressively lower carbon future,” Moniz said. “But we have not abandoned coal as part of that future.”

To support his stance that the Obama administration has not abandoned coal, Moniz pointed to billions of dollars Obama has proposed for research on technology to remove carbon from power-plant emissions, called carbon capture and storage, or CCS.

In the current budget, for instance, Obama proposed nearly $6.5 billion for demonstration projects or tax credits to boost use of carbon-capture technology; $8.5 billion in loan guarantees for fossil-fuel projects; and $600 million for research to “advance the role of coal in a future clean energy economy” according to the Department of Energy.

If the administration wanted to kill off coal, Moniz said, “we wouldn’t have put $6 billion into CCS.”

He also pointed out Obama has requested money for programs to help areas hurt by a downturn in coal, such as retraining for laid-off miners.

“It does not hold water when you see the facts,” Moniz said of claims the administration is waging a war on coal.
http://www.sunherald.com/news/politics-government/article73307127.html

Most of those that I still read are probably reporting that this is basically over though...
Most of them are.

They are doing what I do most of the time. Implicitly endorsing the candidates ideals, while knowing he is realistically out of the running. Politically Bernie is the closest to actual representation I've ever had. But I've followed the guy long enough to know he'd be politically toxic in any normal election year.

This turned out to be a very strange year though.

I don't want to be anti-Bernie but this convention talk is really irking me that he's still going down that path. I feel like he's actively lying to his most fervent supporters now who he knows he will let down. That pisses me off. If you're behind after DC, suck it up and acknowledge you lost. The more you employ this strategy, the less respect I have for you.

Reading about Pete Wilson, it was amazing he was in power for so long. It's kinda fascinating to think that California was not the liberal bastion it is now.

California is the state that elected Ronald Reagan their governor. It voted Republican in every presidential election from 1968 through 1988, and was considered a key part of the supposed Republican "lock" on the Electoral College, along with other now blue states such as Illinois and New Jersey.

Relative to the nation as a whole, California began moving towards Democrats in the 1980s, but the movement was somewhat masked by the strong Republican performance in general that decade. It voted more Republican than the nation as a whole in 1980, but by 1988 it was relatively competitive and part of Dukakis's "18 state strategy." The magnitude of Bill Clinton's 1992 breakthrough can be seen in the Bush campaign conceding California by the time November rolled around. Any thoughts of California going back to the Republicans were blown away by Pete Wilson and his infamous Proposition 187, which badly alienated Hispanic voters.

I guess the question is, why not call them racists? They're voting for racist policies, which is a racist act.

I don't know. I feel like this logic could be applied broadly across the republican platform. How many are single issue voters? Are they all anti-LGBT bigots, or are some just hard up on taxing the rich. Are they all killing the planet, or do some just want more hawkish foreign policy? Are they all racists or do some just want to protect the 2nd? I will say Trump has riled up a xenpphobic nationalist base in ways I've not seen. Since he's so loud and brash it's also harder to disassociate each follower from all his rhetoric, but even then, how many are caught up in this stupid anti establishment craze?. It's just a very broad brush.

Again, I don't think this excuses them from the criticism of deephasiszing racial issues. They deserve criticism.

ivysaur12

Banned
I just watched the video of Hillary suspending the roll call vote in 2008 and nominating Barack Obama as the presidential nominee and I can't stop smiling. I really hope that Sanders does that.

Though, it would be kind of poetic if Obama did it.

ampere

I feel like Trump should be shifting to GE mode and chilling out, but maybe this is his GE mode??? Those buttons, damn.

Just saw that Trump has an 87% unfavorable opinion among Florida Hispanics.

tumblr_inline_o4kultpQdU1s349q9_500.gif

That gif just needs a transparent fade at the end instead of white and it's perfect

Is there any merit to the claim that Hillary Clinton sold arms to authoritarians and dictators in exchange for donations to the Clinton foundation? I can't find any credible sources either way, which makes me very skeptical, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Her full quote is that when the left puts coal out of business (which any left-wing candidate will try to do), you have to have plans in place to get those people new jobs in a timely fashion. People on the left have bad answers in general on these things.

"Break up the banks!" Okay, what about people that work for banks?
"Shut down fossil fuels!" Okay, what about people that work for fuel companies?
Etc...

You can't just be like, "Fuck you, get a new job." Hillary's answer is better than any I've seen, but it's a long way from actually making those people feel comfortable.

Lol you can't dismiss trillions of dollars of cost in nominal and real terms in the US alone. If the biggest financial institutions and fossil fuels were perceived to provide the net benefit to society that you imply, then I doubt reasonable people would have an issue about the the future role of banking and energy. There's no work anyone has done that matches up to a multi-trillion $ recession, which correspondingly required a multi-trillion $ response, and adversely affected millions of people around the world to this day nearly a decade later. Please...

Who's the black girl with sunglasses?

If you use the white theme, it looks like it becomes transparent.
But who uses the white theme?
White theme has a very eye pleasing green color when someone quotes a post you make. Black theme is for people who listen to save me from the dark while posting about how great the shadow the hedgehog game was

Holmes

Ooh yeah, her. She was a judge on X Factor and said a contestant copied her boyfriend's style, even though it was like the most generic style ever but the gifs are good.

ivysaur12

Banned
I do think investing heavily in Appalachia in terms of clean jobs isn't the worst idea, even if they're not the most ideal locations for solar or wind jobs and might not employs as many people. We have an entire region that, for better or worse, relied on one industry without diversifying and is going to be left behind once we transition from coal in the next few years. We can't just leave those people behind in our liberal castles on the coasts. Progressives and Democrats need to come up with a viable and long-term plan for the region in terms of economic revitalization. And I sort of put that on the left because we're the ones who are (rightfully) trying to transition our country away from coal.

Even if they don't vote Dem or never will, no one deserves to be left behind. I don't blame anyone for taking a job to put food on their table.

Apparently r/politics disagrees with me:

Did we rescue the Taxi industry when Uber emerged?
Did we rescue the DVD rental industry when Nexflix came around?
Did we rescue the buggy-whip makers when everyone bought cars?
No one's job or industry is guaranteed.

ivysaur12

Banned
I also don't understand what the "flip flop" here is: "We need to put coal mines out of business, but we also need to not leave behind the communities that live in those areas and invest in them" with "I met with coal miners and explained to them my position about needing to invest in green energy in West Virginia"

???????????????

Sianos

Apparently r/politics disagrees with me:
This is one of the most important broad goals of the progressive movement: to set up a social safety net, to restructure society, and to alter conventional paradigms about how the concept of work is regarded with the purpose of preparing the most vulnerable people for the coming wave of automation.

I think a longitudinal study is in order, and I suspect the results will show that the people who say these sort of things will be the next incarnation of conservatism after the alt-right drags the current incarnation further into a mire of disgusting white-supremacism lazily masquerading populism. The "fuck you; got mine" attitude lies dormant only because they do not yet have theirs.

California is the state that elected Ronald Reagan their governor. It voted Republican in every presidential election from 1968 through 1988, and was considered a key part of the supposed Republican "lock" on the Electoral College, along with other now blue states such as Illinois and New Jersey.

Relative to the nation as a whole, California began moving towards Democrats in the 1980s, but the movement was somewhat masked by the strong Republican performance in general that decade. It voted more Republican than the nation as a whole in 1980, but by 1988 it was relatively competitive and part of Dukakis's "18 state strategy." The magnitude of Bill Clinton's 1992 breakthrough can be seen in the Bush campaign conceding California by the time November rolled around. Any thoughts of California going back to the Republicans were blown away by Pete Wilson and his infamous Proposition 187, which badly alienated Hispanic voters.

Yeah, but most of the Republicans who supported Prop 187 are still very much around. It's why I knew last year that California was a lock for Trump if he made it this far. California Republicans are natural Trump supporters.

Source: I've lived in CA my entire life.

border

Just a day or two ago, FiveThirtyEight had Cruz as the favorite in their Polls-Plus forecast for Indiana. Now Trump has an 83% chance to win in the same forecast. What happened?

Just a day or two ago, FiveThirtyEight had Cruz as the favorite in their Polls-Plus forecast for Indiana. Now Trump has an 83% chance to win in the same forecast. What happened?

Seems like a combination of a few things.

1. Robocalls are illegal in Indiana so polling is more expensive. There wasn't good data until this recent run of polls.

2. Ted Cruz Zodiac-killed his campaign.

I just realized that /R/politics is going to be the same as it is now once Bernie quits, but instead of having a wall of bernie articles it will be super pro Trump. The transition is already happening.

Holmes

Maybe Keith Judd Russell will steal enough protest votes from Sanders so Clinton can squeak a win in West Virginia?

Ah who am I kidding, there's a bigger chance that she'll come in third.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom