• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
From a macro perspective, we don't. That's why it left America in the first place, because it was too easy to have unskilled or robot labor take it over and cut costs. Better to eliminate those jobs and produce more cheap wealth, since wealth is what matters.

From an individual perspective, the people who want more manufacturing jobs are people who worked in manufacturing or know people who did. Eliminating manufacturing pushes those people into jobs they aren't trained for, don't like, or are below their level, so obviously they are bummed about that.

Once again, it's a great argument for a basic income so that we can eliminate the idea of needing to have jobs in order to survive so that we can eliminate the jobs that have no real reason to exist.

We really need to be pushing studies as to the feasibility of a basic income. We're gonna have to implement something like it sooner or later so we had better get started figuring it out.

That's Rubio.

KOLXsGV.gif

Hillary/Huma fanfic?

RKHVmE3.gif

Fox318

The rumblings from her camp make it sound like she wants someone who could embarrass the GOP in a debate and take over on day 1 if something happened to her. Castro isn't that dude, she's basically looking for her Biden.

Cruz has lost his damn mind.

Its tough because many of the people that come to mind that would fit a Biden role probably want to wither get a job with more policy sway or wait it out.

Steve Bullock could be a good pick.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This is concerning, Tyler's prediction for tonight according to his latest model:

yWRRkpE.png

According to Sanders himself, he needs 65% of the vote the rest of the way. That's still falling way short.

I continue to wonder why you guys care about democratic primary numbers so much.

GQMzuOz.jpg

"You tell your son to win one for the gipper"

On this note, the movie that just came out based on this event is worth five bucks to see Spacey having fun doing his hilarious Nixon impression, and Michael Shannon is solid as Elvis, but otherwise, it's a nothing film. Only see it when it hits the cheap theaters.

Yesssss break his soul. You must know true despair Cruz.

It was inevitable that we'd see him have his faith completely shaken. He was never going to win the nomination. I mean, granted, he's come much closer than I expected (mainly as the 'not Trump' guy)... but he really believed he was going to win, and then win the general, and then turn America into a theocracy.

God wouldn't turn his back on his favorite country America. God wouldn't turn his back on his favorite politician Ted Cruz.

But the day was going to come where he clearly wasn't going to be the nominee. I knew he'd hang in there until the writing was very very clearly on the wall... because when there was hope... he'd always have his faith.

But *squish*. If I'll love Trump for one thing going forwards... it's for what he's done to Ted Cruz. I'm sure Ted will bounce back... but until he does... happy days.

Maxim726X

We really need to be pushing studies as to the feasibility of a basic income. We're gonna have to implement something like it sooner or later so we had better get started figuring it out.

It is inevitable... I used to be against the idea (still questioning how it would be implemented- I would imagine it would require an increase in taxes, or at the very least closing loopholes like politicians have talked about since I was a glimmer in my dad's eye), but now it seems like the only way to make this society work in 20-25 years.

That day is coming, we better be ready for it.

But *squish*. If I'll love Trump for one thing going forwards... it's for what he's done to Ted Cruz. I'm sure Ted will bounce back... but until he does... happy days.

I'm not sure he will. It's clear now, after this cycle, that his party despises him. Almost as much as they do Trump. He'll be a thing for as long as the Tea Party is, however long that ends up being.

Zona

It's New York. The Democratic nominee could just be 200 squirrels hastily stuffed into a jogging suit and they'd beat Trump by 10 points. The only way the Dems lose in the General is if they decide "fuck it, let's nominate Ted Cruz."

I live in NY, my Trump supporting friends are absolutely convinced he's going to take the state. I guess it's being out in suburban Long Island, and watching/reading mostly right wing sources, that's skewing their views. I tried to tell them this state's not going republican unless NYC pulls an Atlantis and sinks into the ocean but they won't hear it.

So now I'm taking bets, my god this is the easiest money I'll ever make.

Maledict

Dr Biden talked about how Joe was offered the VP seat or the Secretary of State job on Oprah a while ago so I believe that Obama offered her a spot early on. Besides not many people turn down a job like that especially on request of the President and one with as much clout as Obama in 2008.

I have no doubt the party will be healed by the summer. 2008 was more contentious simply due to discussions of race and the role of Michigan and Florida's votes not being counted.

Its tough to tell who Hilary will pick as VP. I don't think Bernie would be a bad choice but frankly I don't think Bernie would be able to sit in the back or be sent out in a way Joe was.

With how calculating Hilary has been in her political career I'd say the money is on Julian Castro.

We know Obama didn't - every book on the 2008 election says the same thing. Clinton wanted to go back to the senate, lick her wounds and chair something juicy on healthcare reform. Obama didn't offer her anything - whilst she was on their long list for the VP spot, she didn't make it to the final three (Kaine, Baye, Biden). Obama's communications director confirmed that just last week on the 1600 podcast. Clinton really, really wasn't offered anything to start supporting Obama in 2008.

Bernie would be a very bad choice for the ticket because it doesn't do anything for her - yes, it would have the support of his fans, but the majority of those are voting for her anyway, and he brings a VAST amount of baggage. There's a reason the republicans want him to win - there's literally decades of dirt they can throw at him. They are really, really good at that. Plus there's the age issue - you need someone who can take over if the president is incapacitated, and Bernie is simply too old. Hilary needs a young, capable progressive VP - I'm still betting on Perez. Note that it's actually not common for the nominees main rival to become their VP - Reagan did it with Bush in 1980, but otherwise it's not the usual practice.

And Joe Biden does not sit in the back - he is an extremely active VP. Whilst he doesn't have the same power Cheney had, he's been instrumental in many decisions and the lead man on a number of key issues. Obama has relied on Biden a lot, and that was part of their agreement for him accepting the VP. Does anyone think Biden would agree to just sit out back? ;-)

It is inevitable... I used to be against the idea (still questioning how it would be implemented- I would imagine it would require an increase in taxes, or at the very least closing loopholes like politicians have talked about since I was a glimmer in my dad's eye), but now it seems like the only way to make this society work in 20-25 years.

That day is coming, we better be ready for it.

The next 20 years are going to see a lot of changes, for sure.

We know Obama didn't - every book on the 2008 election says the same thing. Clinton wanted to go back to the senate, lick her wounds and chair something juicy on healthcare reform. Obama didn't offer her anything - whilst she was on their long list for the VP spot, she didn't make it to the final three (Kaine, Baye, Biden). Obama's communications director confirmed that just last week on the 1600 podcast. Clinton really, really wasn't offered anything to start supporting Obama in 2008.

Bernie would be a very bad choice for the ticket because it doesn't do anything for her - yes, it would have the support of his fans, but the majority of those are voting for her anyway, and he brings a VAST amount of baggage. There's a reason the republicans want him to win - there's literally decades of dirt they can throw at him. They are really, really good at that. Plus there's the age issue - you need someone who can take over if the president is incapacitated, and Bernie is simply too old. Hilary needs a young, capable progressive VP - I'm still betting on Perez. Note that it's actually not common for the nominees main rival to become their VP - Reagan did it with Bush in 1980, but otherwise it's not the usual practice.

And Joe Biden does not sit in the back - he is an extremely active VP. Whilst he doesn't have the same power Cheney had, he's been instrumental in many decisions and the lead man on a number of key issues. Obama has relied on Biden a lot, and that was part of their agreement for him accepting the VP. Does anyone think Biden would agree to just sit out back? ;-)

Clinton may have been wounded but she had to bring the party together. For her own future and to make sure a Democrat is elected to WH. Clinton has been a life long member for the Dems after all.

Bernie has no incentives anywhere to help unite the party.

Once again, it's a great argument for a basic income so that we can eliminate the idea of needing to have jobs in order to survive so that we can eliminate the jobs that have no real reason to exist.
Wouldn't basic income encourage the majority of people to just not work at all?

Besides, I think you are incorrect in implying that many jobs exist simply because there is a societal expectation to have one. People have infinite wants and desires, and so no matter how many needs are met by technological innovations, there will always be something, somewhere, for someone to do, even if it is menial or "stupid".

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Besides, I think you are incorrect in implying that many jobs exist simply because there is a societal expectation to have one. People have infinite wants and desires, and so no matter how many needs are met by technological innovations, there will always be something, somewhere, for someone to do, even if it is menial or "stupid".

It would be enough to get by. You know, afford an apartment, food, a phone, basic entertainment (internet/TV). Like right it would probably be like 1.5k a month at the very most. It's enough to take care of your basic needs, but if you want anything outside of that you'd need a job.

The idea is that as automation advances more and more jobs will disappear as machine start to do them. So we'll need a way to deal with that while still maintaining economic growth.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
WTF is this shit?

One of the reasons why Sanders won't be VP.

It would be enough to get by. You know, afford an apartment, food, a phone, basic entertainment (internet/TV). Like right it would probably be like 1.5k a month at the very most. It's enough to take care of your basic needs, but if you want anything outside of that you'd need a job.

It would probably be in an amount similar to what Social Security is now, and would likely replace it.

Maledict

Clinton may have been wounded but she had to bring the party together. For her own future and to make sure a Democrat is elected to WH. Clinton has been a life long member for the Dems after all.

Bernie has no incentives anywhere to help unite the party.

Yep, I've been worried about that aspect for months now. Clinton is part and parcel of the party, she knew what was at stake, and she was invested in it. Despite how she personally felt, she came through for Obama for the good of the party.

Bernie doesn't have that same loyalty - heck, his independence is one of the big draws about him. He has a life outside the Democratic Party, and he doesn't have to support it in the same way Clinton did. One of the things driving Clinton in 2008 was the fear that if Obama lost, she'd be blamed for not supporting him enough. Bernie won't suffer the same - heck, judging by Reddit his core, very vocal supporters would applaud him for doing it.

As Adam, and Macho, and other calmer heads have counseled - they are going through a grieving process right now, and need to be given the space to get through that like Hillary was in 2008. Then we should start worrying about party unity and Sanders support, but until then they should stay in the race to the end.

Your second part kind of answers your first. People have infinite wants and desires and so long as those continue costing money... people will want to work.

Benchmark's GOP model

Seems pretty good for Trump

The counties they have Trump losing in their benchmarks are counties with major universities (Monroe and Tippecanoe) and northern (wealthy) Indianapolis suburbs (Hamilton and Boone).

Morgan County will be interesting to watch on the GOP side. It has a bit of Indianapolis suburb at the corner that will probably favor Cruz, but the county and particularly the county seat, Martinsville, has a reputation for having a particularly large problem with racism even in a state that has a troubled racial history. It was a major Klan stronghold back when the Klan was very active in Indiana, it was known for incidents when high school sports teams with black players would travel there, and the city, which already has something of an insular feel, has a tendency to go into a siege mentality whenever such incidents are publicized. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Trump outperforms his benchmarks in Morgan County.

My dream VP would probably be Franken, since Hillary really needs some personality in her campaign, and Franken obviously has that in spades. And I just like him and want to see him more in national politics.

But that's never going to happen, although I think the idea is still what she needs. Someone who is charismatic and charming, like Biden was. Because Hillary has a problem trying to seem more charismatic and personable.

MSNBC has a good article about Indiana Dems. It's not that it's especially important delegate wise for either candidate (because it will be close) but it's the perception. If Clinton wins with spending as little time and money as possible in it, the nomination really is hers in the eyes of everyone sane. If Bernie wins, he can use it to maybe get some decent fundraising for California.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My dream VP would probably be Franken, since Hillary really needs some personality in her campaign, and Franken obviously has that in spades. And I just like him and want to see him more in national politics.

But that's never going to happen, although I think the idea is still what she needs. Someone who is charismatic and charming, like Biden was. Because Hillary has a problem trying to seem more charismatic and personable.

Franken would be my shit.

Can we bring up the topic of Bernie's Free College plan? Lets assume he wins and somehow gets this through congress. Wouldn't making public universities widely available to everyone devalue to the bachelor's degrees earned from those universities? It would make it like a high school degree, something that people would be just expected to have. Wouldn't degrees from private universities go up in value? I feel like the people who benefit from this would be the wealthy elite who could send their kids to private universities.

Your second paragraph doesn't fit with your first.

kirblar

Can we bring up the topic of Bernie's Free College plan? Lets assume he wins and somehow gets this through congress. Wouldn't making public universities widely available to everyone devalue to the bachelor's degrees earned from those universities? It would make it like a high school degree, something that people would be just expected to have. Wouldn't degrees from private universities go up in value? I feel like the people who benefit from this would be the wealthy elite who could send their kids to private universities.
They're already devalued and equivalent to a HS Diploma.

Mael

One of the reasons why Sanders won't be VP.

Hillary has been using the kid gloves this whole time.

No kidding, if he was anything major, this would have sunk his chances in 2 days.
If he's the nominee that is something that will make him lose to Ben Carson in a jiffy.

It's pretentious ironic college kid stuff. It's really damn funny honestly, makes me imagine Bernie as someone that was a huge hipster back in the day.

I'm pretty sure I wrote better stuffs in college and I don't even know how to write really.
This was shit when it was written, it's shit now and we're not going to look at this any better in the future.
I've read Bleach chapters that were less insulting.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I had this same discussion with a high school teacher I know a few years back. He's convinced, along with every other teacher I know, that the trick is to revamp the educational system we already have so you don't need a college degree to do every job and that we should be making certifications and trade schools more desirable. Honestly, hearing him talk about it he made perfect fucking sense.

Not for every industry, but definitely for some.

IMO
Free tuition should not include repeating a semester or rebooting into a different degree.

I'm okay with free tuition of tge student manages to completing it one shot

In France you have student lifers who stay and just change programs for eternity

Brinbe

Trump played these GOP chumps like fools. Won't be as easy against Dems at all.

Still impressive and hilarious to see every one of them go down in flames. Cruz going out like a completely desperate fool.

Yes. If you want to even be considered for a decent-paying job nowadays you need a college degree. Back in the day, you just needed to graduate high school, but high school has always been free. College hasn't.

Now I'd say grad school is about equivalent to a four-year college back then.

I think it depends on the degree earned honestly. A degree in Art History, Sociology, and Film might be pretty useless but there are other pursuits that would yield more results in getting successfully hired for a career in something relevant in that field of study.

I had this same discussion with a high school teacher I know a few years back. He's convinced, along with every other teacher I know, that the trick is to revamp the educational system we already have so you don't need a college degree to do every job and that we should be making certifications and trade schools more desirable.

This I think this is the best possible route.

thcsquad

Bernie doesn't have that same loyalty - heck, his independence is one of the big draws about him. He has a life outside the Democratic Party, and he doesn't have to support it in the same way Clinton did. One of the things driving Clinton in 2008 was the fear that if Obama lost, she'd be blamed for not supporting him enough. Bernie won't suffer the same - heck, judging by Reddit his core, very vocal supporters would applaud him for doing it.

I don't know that this is true; he's a team player in the Senate. He does use his ranking member status on Budget as a mouthpiece for his agenda, and if the Senate is retaken he'd clearly be more likely to get a chairmanship if he didn't try and burn down the party. His reddit supporters may not see the point in this, but he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom