• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iolo

This is concerning, Tyler's prediction for tonight according to his latest model:

yWRRkpE.png

FUCK!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This I think this is the best possible route.

Agreed, though we should also be beefing up our pre-college educational system. There's no reason a salesman, for example, needs to go to college just to sell something. There's jobs that require a college degree that totally don't need one.

Agreed, though we should also be beefing up our pre-college educational system. There's no reason a salesman, for example, needs to go to college just to sell something. There's jobs that require a college degree that totally don't need one.

We don't actually need more people to go to college, period.

QH7pQTt.png

Germany is my role model.

gcubed

IMO
Free tuition should not include repeating a semester or rebooting into a different degree.

I'm okay with free tuition of tge student manages to completing it one shot

In France you have student lifers who stay and just change programs for eternity

I'm more on the train of expanding what we recently got.

Have a small percentage paid based on your post college salary (above a minimum). After x years the debt is wiped no matter if you paid it all or not.

Although then i'm torn on that just artifically inflating college tuition even higher.

WTF is this shit?

It's something that many people are aware of, but are willing to simply forgive/forget because we accept that people tend to believe some really weird shit during their college years, and we all said some stupid shit in our 20s... but if this were the general election, this kind of thing would be plastered everywhere.

It's true Bernie's been fighting an uphill battle in some sense, but in another sense he's had a handicap that no one on his side wants to admit because of the obvious ramification - he can say and do a lot of things and get away with a lot of things in the primary because he's not going to be president. It's the paradox of his campaign.

thefro

Morgan County will be interesting to watch on the GOP side. It has a bit of Indianapolis suburb at the corner that will probably favor Cruz, but the county and particularly the county seat, Martinsville, has a reputation for having a particularly large problem with racism even in a state that has a troubled racial history. It was a major Klan stronghold back when the Klan was very active in Indiana, it was known for incidents when high school sports teams with black players would travel there, and the city, which already has something of an insular feel, has a tendency to go into a siege mentality whenever such incidents are publicized. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Trump outperforms his benchmarks in Morgan County.

The high school incidents were happening even ~10-15 years ago, IIRC. So it's fairly recent stuff.

I mean 20 years ago I would hear about towns here where African-American folks weren't welcome and if a black family moved there they'd get harassed.

There's also areas like my hometown where there was a big fight in the 1920s and the Klan lost, they kicked the Klan out of the county and passed some laws where they couldn't demonstrate in their hoods. But literally people would get beat up for being Catholic on the wrong side of town before that.

Donald Trump came down foursquare in favor of new construction of Jewish settlements in the West Bank on Monday, telling Dailymail.com that the controversial practice has to 'keep going' and 'keep moving forward.'

There are 'thousands of missiles being launched into Israel,' he said Monday. 'Who would put up with that? Who would stand for it?'

Trump said last year he would like to initially remain 'neutral' in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict as president, a position that he believes would allow him a better opportunity to be seen as a peace broker.

Meanwhile he has repeatedly expressed his love for Israel and increasingly his support for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his policies, all while repeatedly trashing the Barack Obama-backed Iran nuclear deal.

But in an exclusive interview with DailyMail.com, Trump came out for the continued construction of new settlements irrespective of Israeli government policy.

http://www.*****************/news/a...ns-fired-thousands-missiles-Jewish-state.html

Trump does interviews with banned sites. Sad!

ampere

They're already devalued and equivalent to a HS Diploma.

I'd say they are already "mandatory" in a number of fields, but it's still a massive step up from a HS Diploma or GED in terms of earning potential in most cases.

From Google:

I wonder if Trump will flip on his transgender opinions for the general, or if we're really looking at a situation where both of the presidential candidates are trans friendly.

I wonder if Trump will flip on his transgendered opinions for the general, or if we're really looking at a situation where both of the presidential candidates are trans friendly.
I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't. The group that's voting for him are more of hardcore nationalists, most of them don't really care about social issues all that much from what I've seen. Doubling down on republican values could alienate him from a lot of moderates and independents who share those nationalistic values.

Maledict

I like how their interpretation of a creep looks like a guy straight out of Grease.
Like tells you something about what age the people getting these ads are.

What I don't get about this issue is:

A) Cruz's law would result in what that picture shows. He wants to force trans-men into female bathrooms. They look a lot more like the poster he has there than trans-women!

B) Sexual offenses are a *crime*. If a sex offender is going to go into the toilets to assault someone they go into the damn toilets! What world does he live in where he thinks that people are evil enough to abuse children, but not evil enough to go into the female toilet?

Plus you know, the entire thing where bye there's no evidence of any trans person ever assaulting anyone in a toilet, and tons of evidence of non-trans people assaulting people in bathrooms every damn day.

User1608

Banned
That was my very first reaction. Sitting in my chair here at work, I uttered an "ayyy!" when I first saw it.
Yeah, same here in regards to finding it funny lol. I cycled through anger due to how personally Cruz's rhetoric disgusts me then laughter. What a whirlwind of emotions!

pigeon

Banned
Wouldn't basic income encourage the majority of people to just not work at all?

Maybe. Who cares? If there are actually a bunch of people who are working right now because they'd starve and be homeless, and wouldn't work if they weren't threatened with death, then it's actually morally incumbent on us to remove that threat of death. Coercion is wrong!*

Besides, I think you are incorrect in implying that many jobs exist simply because there is a societal expectation to have one. People have infinite wants and desires, and so no matter how many needs are met by technological innovations, there will always be something, somewhere, for someone to do, even if it is menial or "stupid".

I think you've misread my comment. I believe that, free of the burden to work for a living, people will mostly just find stuff to do that they want to do or that fulfills them. I don't think many people will actually coast, I think people have a desire to do productive labor.

But there are a bunch of jobs right now that aren't productive labor in any meaningful sense. They only exist because of the capitalist requirement that people be required to work in order to live. Those should go away.

* Except for the coercion necessary to maintain a welfare state, that's totally fine.

Mael

IMO
Free tuition should not include repeating a semester or rebooting into a different degree.

I'm okay with free tuition of tge student manages to completing it one shot

In France you have student lifers who stay and just change programs for eternity

There's good and bad in France,
Note that college is absolutely not free in France (you have to pay for inscription and healthcare) BUT if you do not have the means you can get "tuition" of sort depending on your revenue (or your parent), the lowest type basically waive the college fees and if you're in a worse situation you get to have a small revenue from the region to pay you to survive for the year.
If you redo 1 year (or is it 1 term?), all that disappear.
People hopping from college 1 year to another are basically using their parents funds to pay for infinite college because it sure as hell ain't free anymore.
Note also that when we say it's not free, it's actually cheaper than anything you can find in the US (we're talking close to 400bucks for everything for the year, at least it was when I was in the system).
Private schools are of course really different but you won't have to pay more than 50k for the whole time you're in that school regardless of the school if, again, memory serves.

The high school incidents were happening even ~10-15 years ago, IIRC. So it's fairly recent stuff.

I mean 20 years ago I would hear about towns here where African-American folks weren't welcome and if a black family moved there they'd get harassed.

There's also areas like my hometown where there was a big fight in the 1920s and the Klan lost, they kicked the Klan out of the county and passed some laws where they couldn't demonstrate in their hoods. But literally people would get beat up for being Catholic on the wrong side of town before that.

In the late 1990s Martinsville High School was put on probation by the state's high school athletic association after a particularly ugly scene at a basketball game against my high school. The main response from the town was to deny and deflect. As I said Martinsville always came across to me as a very insular place that would go into a siege mentality in response to any controversy. I don't think everyone in town is overtly racist or anything, but it has a troubled history and is the kind of place where I would expect Trump's message to resonate with many of the residents.

Zornack

Maybe. Who cares? If there are actually a bunch of people who are working right now because they'd starve and be homeless, and wouldn't work if they weren't threatened with death, then it's actually morally incumbent on us to remove that threat of death. Coercion is wrong!*

But what if those jobs are necessary for society to continue to function?

Crocodile

So do people who are all up in these bathroom bills just think trans-people are playing dress-up or something? Do they just fundamentally not understand the concept of transexuality? Also why is it always "little girls" people are worried about when the vast majority of people using these public restrooms will be grown ass women. This feels insulting from like every possible perspective.

I wonder if Trump will flip on his transgender opinions for the general, or if we're really looking at a situation where both of the presidential candidates are trans friendly.

It's one of the few positions he has that isn't toxic to the general electorate and supporting the bathroom bills has already shown to be a losing position. Why would he change now? For all the shit that has come out of Trump this election season, I don't think I've ever heard him say anything bad about gay/trans people or gay/trans rights. Unless I've forgotten something? I'm honestly shocked.

Plus you know, the entire thing where bye there's no evidence of any trans person ever assaulting anyone in a toilet, and tons of evidence of non-trans people assaulting people in bathrooms every damn day.

What about Buffalo Bill?
tumblr_o21dsuAG901uofr2ko1_500.gif

But seriously, if Silence of the Lambs is any indication, fear of the gender noncomforming is deeply ingrained in our society.

fenners

So do people who are all up in these bathroom bills just think trans-people are playing dress-up or something? Do they just fundamentally not understand the concept of transexuality? Also why is it always "little girls" people are worried about when the vast majority of people using these public restrooms will be grown ass women. This feels insulting from like every possible perspective..

You got it.

pigeon

Banned
But what if those jobs are necessary for society to continue to function?

Then we should probably pay people to do them.

What jobs are both so necessary that society needs them to function and so poorly paid that they would disappear if people were freed from the threat of death?

I don't think slavery is a super good basis for a society.

Best timeline.

Cruz handed the nomination at contested convention.

Trump runs third party in protest.

We can keep this VD, JFK assassination, penis size, Officespace parody train going until november.

Not to mention, Trump's polling numbers would probably be high enough so that we would get Clinton, Cruz, Trump debates.

Best timeline.

Cruz handed the nomination at contested convention.

Trump runs third party in protest.

We can keep this VD, JFK assassination, penis size, Officespace parody train going until november.

Trump as presidential nominee, Jeb as running mate is clearly the best timeline.

edit: Clearly against Trump as president, lol.

Would make for a GOAT undercard debate.

Jeb! being the undercard. LMAO. He looked defeated before. Can you imagine what his face would look like in that scenario.

We would need Al Franken to be VP to take advantage.

Would make for a GOAT undercard debate.

Jeb! being the undercard. LMAO. He looked defeated before. Can you imagine what his face would look like in that scenario.

We would need Al Franken to be VP to take advantage.

Jeb! trying to answer questions after Trump calls Hillary a cunt or after Trump says Hillary killed Vince Foster would be worthy of being on PPV.

Would Rand Paul take the VP spot if it was offered?

Just something I was thinking about. Rand is just a tad crazy enough to sit well with Trump. Doesn't overshadow him, but still manages to have a big mouth. His message blends well enough with Trump. He has a touch of anti-establishment, but is still rooted within the establishment. He'd also be a blatant attempt to grab the reddit Bernie following. Also probably doesn't care much to hitch his wagon to Trump, since he's in a safe district.

Ehh...

Just me mostly thinking about who could possibly be Trump's VP, since nobody seems to want to go anywhere near him, he has no real political allies, and he has so many different view points than the majority of the party.

PBY

Banned

Just something I was thinking about. Rand is just a tad crazy enough to sit well with Trump. Doesn't overshadow him, but still manages to have a big mouth. His message blends well enough with Trump. He'd also be a blatant attempt to grab the reddit Bernie following. Also probably doesn't care much to hitch his wagon to Trump, since he's in a safe district.

Ehh...

Just me mostly thinking about who could possibly be Trump's VP, since nobody seems to want to go anywhere near him, he has no real political allies, and he has so many different view points than the majority of the party.

Its gotta be Christie right?

Just something I was thinking about. Rand is just a tad crazy enough to sit well with Trump. Doesn't overshadow him, but still manages to have a big mouth. His message blends well enough with Trump. He'd also be a blatant attempt to grab the reddit Bernie following. Also probably doesn't care much to hitch his wagon to Trump, since he's in a safe district.

Ehh...

Mary Fallin would be perfect. My most hated politician. Fallin is also open to it and "makes sense" with regards to the fact that she's a woman and a super conservative religious psychopath.

I concur with the thought in principle. At least, I find it preferable that people do not walk around with a constant fear of destitution. But my point is that, by necessity, more can be done in a society that is not forced to cope with millions of people not working rather than everyone contributing in some capacity. Not even communism proposes an opt-in labor society.
I think you've misread my comment. I believe that, free of the burden to work for a living, people will mostly just find stuff to do that they want to do or that fulfills them. I don't think many people will actually coast, I think people have a desire to do productive labor.
I think it's bold to claim that people will do good, productive work on their own. In fact I think that needs quantifiable evidence. Decades of poor welfare policy before institutional reform under the Clinton administration does in fact prove that when given the choice to not work, a sizable portion will not. And welfare was not even enough to survive. What more if everyone is provided with a basic income suitable for all kinds of living!

I don't know. I get where everyone is coming from. Most of the people in my progressive circle have been shouting basic-income at me for literally years. It is just a hard sell for me, for obvious reasons.

But there are a bunch of jobs right now that aren't productive labor in any meaningful sense. They only exist because of the capitalist requirement that people be required to work in order to live. Those should go away.
I don't believe you. I believe that people are typically required to work in order to live but I don't believe that there is a single job besides government work programs (and even then, that is a stretch) that exists entirely because people have to work, so we must find something for them to do.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom