• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

So if I understand this correctly:
• Trump basically does an IRL retweet of the National Enquirer;
• Cruz rightfully so has an outburst that such an accusation was even considered, never mind said out loud by a major party front runner;

And somehow Trump ended up winning that argument?

It actually started with Ted Cruz's dad saying "[Trump] could be the destruction of America"

“I implore, I exhort every member of the body of Christ to vote according to the word of God and vote for the candidate that stands on the word of God and on the Constitution of the United States of America,” Rafael Cruz said in a video clip aired by Fox News. “And I am convinced that man is my son, Ted Cruz. The alternative could be the destruction of America.”

Ted Cruz was the chosen one. Tea party favorite and hero to anyone who wanted to watch the washington playbook burn. He was supposed to destroy the liberals.

I think he got too caught up in his own idea that God himself was appointing him to be the slayer of the liberal injustice.

It's hard to come down to reality when you believe a divine power is behind your presidential run, and you have a long string where it seems like you might actually pull it off, only to have it suddenly come crumbling down.

Bowdz

Are we watching a man lose his sanity in real time?

Cruz is falling apart. It seems maybe everything just suddenly hit him at once, all that wasted time, all that wasted effort, the deals, the money, everything he's worked for over the last 8 months is crashing down before his eyes due to Donald Trump. And it seems to be breaking him.

This feels like the start of a comic book villain's back story.

It has happened to everyone else before him. Jeb was the anointed one with pedigree and $100 million out of the gate and had to watch it come crumbling down before his eyes. Rubio was the darling of the establishment and future of the party and he had a sudden moment of clarity when he realized he was giving up a Senate seat and was about to lose his home state in a near mortal political wound. How any of these people can actually support Trump after he strippes them of their basic character is beyond me.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Are we watching a man lose his sanity in real time?

Cruz is falling apart. It seems maybe everything just suddenly hit him at once, all that wasted time, all that wasted effort, the deals, the money, everything he's worked for over the last 8 months is crashing down before his eyes due to Donald Trump. And it seems to be breaking him.

This feels like the start of a comic book villain's back story.

Plus the cherry on top of trump supporters bullying him as he campaigned.

Don't worry, Ted Cruz will be back (2020)...when the excuse is Trump wasn't a real conservative...just like Romney and like McCain. Once the GOP nominates a true conservative, they'll win...

At the moment if Hillary doesn't fall apart this summer and doesn't screw up during her first 4 years if elected, she has a very good chance of going 8 right now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hey never thought of that. I'm going to do this. Diablos I'm counting on you.

It would also be a good time to transfer those funds into Clinton stock. I'm keeping about $50 on the side just so I can do that when the time comes, $450 in profits from this season just doesn't feel like enough.

Now I'm imagining Cruz sitting in a forgotten room of an asylum just scribbling "trump" all over the walls of his tiny cell, over and over again, mumbling about post cards and flat taxes.

Hendricks, Vanderburgh, and Delaware.

In case anyone's wondering about what cities are in those counties:

Hendricks - Indianapolis western suburbs and exurbs like Danville

Vanderburgh - Evansville

Delaware - Muncie

Judging from the results here in the neighboring counties of Ohio, Allen County/Fort Wayne should be a big win for Trump. He finished second behind Kasich across most of northwestern and western Ohio, and as far as Republicans go, they are all fairly similar up here (except oddly for Allen County, Ohio being a massive Tea Party stronghold that keeps putting Jim Jordan in the House).

Bowdz

Don't worry, Ted Cruz will be back (2020)...when the excuse is Trump wasn't a real conservative...just like Romney and like McCain. Once the GOP nominates a true conservative, they'll win...

At the moment if Hillary doesn't fall apart this summer and doesn't screw up during her first 4 years if elected, she has a very good chance of going 8 right now.

If the Dems do their job and tie everyone single GOP member that supports Trump publically to his positions, they'll have the biggest political advantage any party has seen in a generation for quite some time.

That's what happens when you honestly think God wants you to be president. He thought that he could win if he believed hard enough, but it turns out reality doesn't work like that.
I don't think it's Jesus that's making Cruz do it. Honestly speaking (and hindsight is 20/20), you can't fault Cruz for not trying make Indiana his victory. He tried. Oh my god did he try. He tried all the time in this institution. It's just that no one wants him.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Plus we'll have the critical mass of demographic changes by 2024.

If the Dems do their job and tie everyone single GOP member that supports Trump publically to his positions, they'll have the biggest political advantage any party has seen in a generation for quite some time.

Not gonna happen as long as Dems shun the midterms.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think it's Jesus that's making Cruz do it. Honestly speaking (and hindsight is 20/20), you can't fault Cruz for not trying make Indiana his victory. He tried. Oh my god did he try. He tried all the time in this institution. It's just that no one wants him.

If he hadn't been an unrepentant asshole maybe he could have pulled it off.

Ted losing Indiana is the final nail in the coffin. No way does he get handed the nomination at the convention now. Not only does everyone hate him he's also a loser.

The PredictIt play for those with weak stomachs is NO on the Republican presidential landslide. It's trading at 77c and is free money.

In the shorter term, the "drop out in May" shares on Cruz, Kasich, and Bernie are all going to trade higher than than they are right now at some point.

disclaimer: don't take my advice

Jarmel

Banned

Something this primary has made clear on the GOP side is that people don't care if a candidate is conservative or not.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If he hadn't been an unrepentant asshole maybe he could have pulled it off.

If he were less of an asshole he'd be in the same spot Rubio and Bush are in. He just couldn't out asshole the king of the assholes.

It's easy to laugh at the right and seeing how the "purity tests" have come back to haunt them as a failed strategy, but I'm nervous something comparable can happen on the left. The "progressive (The True Champions of Light and Justice) vs. neoliberal (The Enemy That Must Be Vanquished)" rhetoric would have the same crippling consequences if more people ran within instead of just a handful of loonies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's easy to laugh at the right and seeing how the "purity tests" have come back to haunt them as a failed strategy, but I'm nervous something comparable can happen on the left. The "progressive (The True Champions of Light and Justice) vs. neoliberal (The Enemy That Must Be Vanquished)" rhetoric would have the same crippling consequences if more people ran within instead of just a handful of loonies.

That's making a lot of people nervous. It's why people in here are hoping that Bernie will chill with the corrupt party/nominee shit already.

The party can hold until 2024 with regards to the presidency and they have enough strong candidates ready for 2024 that they can hopefully hold off the crazies.

Bowdz

That's making a lot of people nervous. It's why people in here are hoping that Bernie will chill with the corrupt party/nominee shit already.

Yep. The left needs to kill any talk of progressive purity tests begore it gets off the ground and remain the big tent party. I'd rather the disillusioned Bernistas support Jill Stein than infect the Democratic party with the same illness that's killing the GOP.

Right. Just like Sanders. He prayed. He prayed every single day. For revolution.

Meanwhile, on the Clinton side, it's twenty five years and her life is still trying to get up that great big hill of hope. For a destination.

whats going on!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

*clears throat* yep.

Purity bullshit simply does not work in a 2 party system.
The Republicans and Democrats in effect become coalitions, especially the President.

SheSaidNo

how are purity tests killing the right? Trump is anything but an ideological pure conservative candidate

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
how are purity tests killing the right? Trump is anything but an ideological pure conservative candidate

Look at Congress. They can barely keep the lights on as a result of the purity shit. We don't need a tea party on the left. I'd rather we actually get things done.

PBY

Banned
#BREAKING
West Virginia GOP Primary - May 10
(34 Delegates):

Trump 61%
Cruz 22%
Kasich 14%

@ppppolls

#BREAKING
West Virginia Democratic Primary - May 10
(29 Delegates):

Sanders 45%
Clinton 37%

@ppppolls

SheSaidNo

Look at Congress. They can barely keep the lights on as a result of the purity shit. We don't need a tea party on the left. I'd rather we actually get things done.

The've been destroying/trying to destroy unions/economies/social services all across the midwest under governships, seems like they are doing a good job

I don't think any sort of far left purity test nonsense will get much traction without the racial component the tea party had.
I agree. Part of that is because of the big tent nature of the Democratic Party. None of the subgroups (blacks, Hispanics, white liberals, single women, youth) are big enough to singlehandedly hijack the party. The candidates that emerge as the nominees have broad consensus appeal. Hillary vs. Obama is interesting because, nastiness aside, I think either of them was a palatable option to most primary voters.

The GOP? Well, it's a party of older white people. Almost exclusively. And the establishment has had no problem fanning the flames of racist voters as long as it worked in their favor. I wonder if Trump would have been able to beat Romney or if 2016 just provided the perfect opportunity.

E: Hm, -8 for Hillary in WV would be better than I'd have expected.

There is no way so many ended with 1. FRAUD

Actually, quite the opposite. In most naturally occurring collections of numbers, the leading digit is actually most likely to be 1. Although our intuition would have us believe that a ninth of the should start with 1, and ninth for 2, etc., in reality, 1 is the significant digit about 30% of the time. It's called Benford's Law.

In fact, it's often used as a way to determine if number sets, such as election results, are faked. If you just filled then in randomly, the results wouldn't correspond to Benford's Law, and a good statistician would notice that.

It's a crazy cool result that pops up everywhere. Like, write down the street address of everyone you know. Or the prices if every stock you own. Geographical features, physical constants, tons of things. Benford's Law keeps popping up.

And actually, I just realized you were talking about the trailing digit, not the leading one, so this post has no relevance to what you said. But I like it, so I'm posting it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom