• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
IN THE SAME ATTACK.

Ted Cruz said that Trump would be a terrible candidate because he said he never asked god for forgiveness. Then he went to on to say, "I've asked god for forgiveness 3 times today. THink of your children, what if you said to your kids its time to pray today and they respond, 'daddy I don't need to ask for forgiveness because the President doesn't either"..

HE THEN SAID

"You see that movie Back to the Future II? The screen writer himself said he based Biff off of none other than Donald Trump"

LOOLOL

I agree. Part of that is because of the big tent nature of the Democratic Party. None of the subgroups (blacks, Hispanics, white liberals, single women, youth) are big enough to singlehandedly hijack the party. The candidates that emerge as the nominees have broad consensus appeal. Hillary vs. Obama is interesting because, nastiness aside, I think either of them was a palatable option to most primary voters.

The GOP? Well, it's a party of older white people. Almost exclusively. And the establishment has had no problem fanning the flames of racist voters as long as it worked in their favor. I wonder if Trump would have been able to beat Romney or if 2016 just provided the perfect opportunity.

Refusing to compromise is something that is slowly killing the GOP. Even then I hear some people complaining about the left compromising with the side that refuse to do it. As if both sides refusing to compromise will be a win.

If you're in a 'refuse to compromise' fight with Ted Cruz, you lose. Either by compromising with him, or by refusing to compromise with him. Because either way he won't compromise and you won't get what you want.

I don't like Bernie and Trump's stances on globalism at all. Oh, if we just ensure all of America has jobs we can give everyone candy and fuck the rest of the world right? Well maybe that's true. But fuck that.

I'm a citizen of the world. If we have to take a job away from a Mexican to give a job to an American... I don't see how that's a win.

shem935

Banned
Actually, quite the opposite. In most naturally occurring collections of numbers, the leading digit is actually most likely to be 1. Although our intuition would have us believe that a ninth of the should start with 1, and ninth for 2, etc., in reality, 1 is the significant digit about 30% of the time. It's called Benford's Law.

In fact, it's often used as a way to determine if number sets, such as election results, are faked. If you just filled then in randomly, the results wouldn't correspond to Benford's Law, and a good statistician would notice that.

It's a crazy cool result that pops up everywhere. Like, write down the street address of everyone you know. Or the prices if every stock you own. Geographical features, physical constants, tons of things. Benford's Law keeps popping up.

And actually, I just realized you were talking about the trailing digit, not the leading one, so this post has no relevance to what you said. But I like it, so I'm posting it anyway.
I like this post as well. Can't remember where I learned it but yeah this law kind of blew my mind when I learned it. Often used to detect fraud in financials because like you said people have a tendency to want to distribute the leading numbers evenly when they almost always aren't.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Actually, quite the opposite. In most naturally occurring collections of numbers, the leading digit is actually most likely to be 1. Although our intuition would have us believe that a ninth of the should start with 1, and ninth for 2, etc., in reality, 1 is the significant digit about 30% of the time. It's called Benford's Law.

In fact, it's often used as a way to determine if number sets, such as election results, are faked. If you just filled then in randomly, the results wouldn't correspond to Benford's Law, and a good statistician would notice that.

It's a crazy cool result that pops up everywhere. Like, write down the street address of everyone you know. Or the prices if every stock you own. Geographical features, physical constants, tons of things. Benford's Law keeps popping up.

And actually, I just realized you were talking about the trailing digit, not the leading one, so this post has no relevance to what you said. But I like it, so I'm posting it anyway.

So, in other words you responded to a joke post with a joke post that's not a joke post?

PPP also had Trump up 57/30 with Hill versus Trump in a GE matchup.

Guess what Romney's margin in 2012 was?

27 points.

Cruz leads Bernie 40/39 in a GE matchup. Sad!

West Virginia's the latest of open primary states or semi open primary states where we find Clinton ahead with Democrats (43/41) but losing overall because she's getting swamped with independents (56/19). Clinton is actually ahead 52/41 with liberals, but Sanders has the cumulative edge because he's up 55/31 with moderates and 36/19 with conservatives who in West Virginia are 22% of the primary electorate. One thing Clinton does have going for her in West Virginia is that 79% of her voters are firmly committed to her, compared to 65% of Sanders' who say the same. If she can peel off some of those weak Sanders supporters in the next week she still has a chance to take the state.

Bernie is going to win WV just as a protest vote with no one actually liking his policies in WV.

I like this post as well. Can't remember where I learned it but yeah this law kind of blew my mind when I learned it. Often used to detect fraud in financials because like you said people have a tendency to want to distribute the leading numbers evenly when they almost always aren't.

Yeah. It's awesome when a neat piece of mathematical trivia also has awesome real world results. Too many people write off fields of mathematics as pretty much a pointless circle jerk, but you never know where these useful results are gonna pop up.

So, in other words you responded to a joke post with a joke post that's not a joke post?

I responded to a joke post with an almost completely unrelated post! Don't worry, I knew you were joking. I just wanted to share something I thought was neat. Even if I was so eager to do it that I did it erroneously.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yeah. It's awesome when a neat piece of mathematical trivia also has awesome real world results. Too many people write off fields of mathematics pretty much a pointless circle jerk, but you never know where these useful results are gonna pop up.

I responded to a joke post with an almost completely unrelated post! Don't worry, I knew you were joking. I just wanted to share something I thought was neat. Even if I was so eager to do it that I did it erroneously.

Wait, an unintentional not a joke post!
It's no problem, and you brought up an interesting concept to consider.

I thought about this too, but noticed it was the ones place. Still, extremely cool phenomenon. I love the it was discovered when somebody noticed the uneven wear and tear on books of logarithms.

Sheldon Silver sentenced to 12 years in federal prison.

How did he stay Assembly Speaker for New York for so long???

Seriously, how wasn't this guy gone after failing to investigate one of his people raping multiple women?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Silver sentenced to 12 years in federal prison.

How did he stay Assembly Speaker for New York for so long???

Seriously, how wasn't this guy gone after failing to investigate one of his people raping multiple women?

Massive corruption. Albany as a whole has been a shithole for decades. It's a miracle Cuomo has managed to get anything done.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Uh oh. Cruz touched on one of the 11 things you don't mention in the republican primary
Trump's "fingers"

Kangi

Bernie Sanders declares war on reality.

Instead of coming to grips with the overwhelming evidence that Democratic primary voters prefer Hillary Clinton be the party’s 2016 presidential nominee, Bernie Sanders continues to create his own political reality — devising new and creative excuses to explain why he’s losing to her and why he should be the party’s standard-bearer in November.

First there was the complaint that Southern, conservative states have their primaries early, which “distorts reality,” because these states won’t support a Democrat in November. This is certainly a compelling assertion from a candidate who has won such red-state stalwarts as Utah, Alaska, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kansas, Idaho, and Wyoming.

If your head is spinning, it’s with good reason.

The same candidate who has been railing against independent voters being disenfranchised, who has called the primary system undemocratic, and who has complained about superdelegates, in general, is now calling on those same superdelegates to vote against Clinton (that would apparently include delegates from the states Clinton has won), even though she will almost certainly have the most pledged delegates and the most votes. In head-to-head general election polls, Clinton trounces Trump, but since Sanders trounces him by a bit more, he argues that he should be the nominee.

Diablos

Who would have expected the GOP race to end weeks before the Democratic race?
They're capitalizing on Bernie Sanders being a manchild and not realizing when it's time to take your ball and go home.

If Ted drops out this changes a lot of things.

Why can't Bernie just accept reality and drop out of the race? Does he not see how he is not doing himself, Hillary or any Democrat any favors for going up against Republicans in the GE?

He's a dishonest man. He's clearly firing up young first time low info voters who don't understand how primaries differ from a general election.

It's easy to laugh at the right and seeing how the "purity tests" have come back to haunt them as a failed strategy, but I'm nervous something comparable can happen on the left. The "progressive (The True Champions of Light and Justice) vs. neoliberal (The Enemy That Must Be Vanquished)" rhetoric would have the same crippling consequences if more people ran within instead of just a handful of loonies.

My theory is that the GOP's major constituents are all white and largely male, a group that hasn't had to work for incremental change and settle for half-measures like the Democrats' major constituents - minorities, LGBTQ folks, and women. The latter demographics are less likely to throw away compromise in favor of purity and are a buffer against the white male voters who might be susceptible to a "burn it all down" argument.

The GOP just doesn't have that buffer in their own party and should work to diversify for that reason in particular after this cycle.

TAKE ACTION
Tell the Clinton campaign: transfer "Victory Fund" money to state parties
Yesterday morning, thanks to a Politico investigation, we found out that less than 1 percent of the $61 million raised by the Victory Fund has stayed in state party coffers.

It’s unfortunate that Hillary Clinton has benefited from tens of millions of dollars in cash transfers and advertising to campaign against us in the primary. But it’s not too late for her campaign to do the right thing.

Bernie, literally none of this money is being spent against you, lmao.

Hillary doesn't give one single fuck about you at this point.

https://go.berniesanders.com/page/s...tm_campaign=victory-fund&utm_content=petition

studyguy

The onus is on him to prove it's even being spent against him like I mentioned when this bullshit was brought up. It's fucking silly, either way it's his warchest if he in some twist of fate ended up as the nomination too. It'd be incredibly weird to see them twist the logic of this if he somehow won. Then again the same logic is currently being taken for a loop where super delegates are concerned so eh.

Diablos

It's just so infuriating. Dems are poised for greatness against the GOP who are utterly dysfunctional but yet even they are starting to see a bit of a lifeline with Bernie hanging around for a longer period of time.

God dammit this is so infuriating. Just the principal of the thing. Go home Bernie. Don't demoralize Democrats and fuck this thing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom