• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
CNN being desperate to create dead heat narrative with GE saying Rust Belt is in play.
Fox News is constant talk about him unifying the party with traditional conservative cabinet picks and winning more centrists and dems than Romney ever could.

It's almost like how a typical liberal talks about Hillary, they're disappointed he's not conservative but excited he gives them better chance to win.

Diablos

LOL John King on CNN right now showing how Trump can win the election, saying Clinton will have to defend PA, MI, and WI. lol My husband is eating it up and is bitching about how he's not voting for Clinton now.
You can't let him get away with that. Set the record straight.

Even if Trump losses in the general, simply wining the nomination has got to be a historically embarrassing moment for the US. 100 years from now our children might be educated about the reality show clown who almost won the presidency.

On the bright side, maybe some young people who dont care about politics will look at this and see how much of a joke the republican party is.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Even if those two things didn't happen his win was really a loss since he didn't hit his targets. At this point it's less about wins and more about hitting delegate targets. Hell, wins along haven't mattered since Super Tuesday.

Yup was walking my parents through the same thing. Its a victory in name only. It doesn't matter how many states he wins, what matters is what margins he wins by

Valhelm

contribute something
Hillary went out and campaigned like hell and made unity speeches. Will Bernie do the same?

Not as much. He and Hillary fundamentally degree on some key issues in ways that Obama and Hillary didn't. However, he's got a weird relationship with Trump. Despite being ideological opposites, some Bernie supporters (particularly non-millennials) would rather vote for Trump than Hillary. I'm certain he's going to make a significant effort to stop any of his followers from siding with Trump.

Holmes

You can't let him get away with that. Set the record straight.
Correct The Record doesn't pay me enough but I got a lot of the shit off my chest about the shit Weaver and Sanders have been saying and it caused an argument but I'm so glad I said it.

Iolo

Fv2oKfZ.jpg

Thats at least 3.

Cruz dude stepping into oncoming traffic is the perfect metaphor to end his campaign.

Diablos

If the fucking GOP can unite behind Trump the dems can unite behind Hill.

Come on.
It's horrible optics. That's what people aren't realizing. This is just pathetic. Dems have the upper hand if they want to, it's so easy. Sanders needs to bow out.

Obama needs to have Sanders pay him a visit in the Oval Office and have a little chat.

Bowdz

If ever there was a time for Obama to make an endorsement, it'd be now (or at least call Bernie and tell him to tone down the attacks and then leak the call to the press).

Crocodile

I'm having a hard time putting together whatever Bernie's message is at this point

$15 minimum wage (NO EXCEPTIONS)
Single Payer Healthcare (Irregardless of how easy it is to implement here or if there are other ways to UHC)
Fuck Free Trade (NO NUANCE)
Isolationism FTW
Campaign Fiance Reform (but Clinton wants that too but she isn't naive enough to reject PACs)
Wall Street is BAD (NO NUANCE)

Have I missed anything?

Iolo

Obama is not going to endorse until after DC. But at that point, most remaining super delegates will move to Hillary, and stay there.

Holmes

I'm having a hard time putting together whatever Bernie's message is at this point

Single Payer Healthcare (Irregardless of how easy it is to implement here or if there are other ways to UHC)
Isolationism FTW
Campaign Fiance Reform (but Clinton wants that too but she isn't naive enough to reject PACs)

Have I missed anything?
+ Fuck Hillary and the Democratic Party

The people suggesting Obama step in now are on point. Hadn't remembered he still had this power left. Just an endorsement. No need to mention Sanders or anything else other than Hillary being Hillary. Democrats fucking love Obama. Even some more moderate Sanders supporters wouldn't be able to refuse Obama's decree.

Trump opens up the VP pick for Democrats to a much wider variety of people. When the top of the ticket is arguably the most qualified person on the planet you can be a little bold. I'm on the Perez train, too, as it's setting up the next generation of DNC leaders more than it offers any demographic pandering. He's not going to help with the minority vote because they're all voting Democrat already, and, thanks to Trump, in record numbers!
Correct The Record doesn't pay me enough but I got a lot of the shit off my chest about the shit Weaver and Sanders have been saying and it caused an argument but I'm so glad I said it.
lol

Valhelm

contribute something
Fv2oKfZ.jpg

Thats at least 3.

I've met a few Hispanic people who like Trump, but nothing significant. There's a lot of resentment against illegal immigrants and all Mexicans among South Americans, Cubans, and Puerto Ricans. People who have come over "the hard way" sometimes believe that those who bypass the legal system ought to be punished, and some of these voters really care a lot about Trump's amorphous jobs plan.

I also met one girl who was convinced that Trump's deportations would end all prejudice against Hispanics, by "getting rid of the ones who make us look bad."

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I would be worried about Dems getting complacent with such an obvious landslide on the table if Trump weren't so hilariously toxic. The next 7 months are going to be fucking nuts.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You guys are calling on Bernie to drop out on a night when he won a state. *rolls eyes *

Trump is the nominee. Now is the time for every opposing force to unite. The math has been impossible for Bernie for weeks now (tonight was a "loss" for him, he needed Indiana by 65% or more). Him dropping to align his firepower at Trump instead of Hillary is now the right thing to do

royalan

Bernie can't drop out until his next loss. I mean, he should, but dropping out right after he "wins" a state would just enrage people

But Bernie has a few favorable states coming up, and he knows it. Not enough delegates on the table, and his lead in the polls aren't big enough to really change anything, but he's got his supporters conned into thinking number of states won matters more than their population sizes and demographics. The Clinton campaign is going to get a blowback from his supporters either way.

Bernie has poisoned the well so much at this point that nothing short of time is going to calm his base. So he should give Clinton all the time he can by bowing out now, and the Democratic party needs to start taking full Chipotle fueled dumps on him until he does.

5 bucks says Hillary gets a call from the white house tonight.

You guys are calling on Bernie to drop out on a night when he won a state. *rolls eyes *

When a team is down by 17 points gets a touchdown with five minutes left while the other team is playing prevent defense in the last game of the season, it doesn't mean it's not time to pull the starting QB.

Even if Drumpf losses in the general, simply wining the nomination has got to be a historically embarrassing moment for the US. 100 years from now our children might be educated about the reality show clown who almost won the presidency.

On the bright side, maybe some young people who dont care about politics will look at this and see how much of a joke the republican party is.

The second part of this answers why the first part isn't that bad. If we break parties onto a graded scale (like celebs), then for decades, there have been two A-list parties. But it's clear now that if the GOP doesn't fix its demographic problems, they're fast-approaching the B-list where they're only slightly relevant to listen to nationally, and still do well regionally. Miles better than Green/Libertarian, but to be frank, the GOP can't sniff the Dems in a national election until they shape up. Trump will be as embarrassing as Goldwater/Mondale were, which is precisely zilch to anyone but super invested people.

He'll be forgotten, and the GOP will re-align. I just want that to take as long as possible. Gives us on the left a good chance to slowly tug the rope further so that when they finally put up a fight, they're so much further than they were that they can't take it back.

TheFatOne

You can call it a win if you want, but he didn't hit the margin necessary to cut down her lead. Getting 2-4 delegates is not enough at this point in time. His strategy right now is win a bunch of states, and then get super delegates to ignore the will of the people and vote for him. Guy sure did change his tune about supers with a quickness once he needed them. He's done and has been done for a while now. To ignore that is to ignore the truth. It's really just a math problem now.

Gabriel DebenedettiVerified account
‏@gdebenedetti
Clinton swing state directors already holding meetings. FL Ds have 50 staff in the field. OH Ds 60. CO Dems 60.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honestly, I don't think Sanders sticking around will have any impact at all on the general. It doesn't even occur for 7 months and none of the shit he's tossed has stuck so far so unless he's got the smoking gun on her email server he can do whatever he wants imo.

Valhelm

contribute something

Isolationism FTW

Have I missed anything?

You ought to recognize that Bernie comes from a pretty different primordial soup than any other major US politician. While he's quite similar to Hillary in practice, his priorities are somewhat different. As an example, he wouldn't be satisfied with universal health care if it happens on the terms of profit-seeking companies. He's a big opponent of campaign finance reform, Wall Street speculation, and international capitalism because he believes the wealthy have too much power, and this power should be curbed. While Hillary Clinton discusses the wealth divide occasionally, she's really just advocating for the standard Democratic platform. Bernie Sanders and the Democratic party have never seen eye-to-eye, and the Democratic party has a pretty checkered history of fucking over other leftist groups. Had the Democrats' tolerated his viewpoints during the days of Mr. Clinton, Bernie Sanders would have become a registered Democrat much earlier than 2015.

Bowdz

Obama is not going to endorse until after DC. But at that point, most remaining super delegates will move to Hillary, and stay there.

He should though. The GOP primary is over and the Dem primary has been mathematically over since March. He has enough sway to push any Dems thinking about voting their conscious in the primary to snap back to reality. His endorsement puts the marker down that this is over and Bernie needs to pack it up.

In reality, I understand that he probably won't endorse until after DC. What he should and can do however, is call Bernie and tell him to outright stop the attacks on Clinton and leak that he made the call to the press. Same outcome with a bit more tact. Meanwhile, he can start calling supers and tell them to outright come out in favor of Clinton so she can officially take the nominee before the end of the voting.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm taking a break from all this. See you guys in a while.

Same, i'll be back in a week. I honestly expected more people to see the damage a negative Sanders campaign will cause moving forward at this point.

If you don't have anything on the line, like losing your right to get married, then I guess it would be far easier to push for Sanders to continue what he is doing over some misplaced idea of messaging.
Many of us do have things on the line. Edit: Or rather, do not have the luxury.

I think people should really try not to freak out about Bernie Sanders. I seriously can't imagine him having any serious effect on Hillary in the general, yet some people are just flipping out. Chill, it'll be okay.

I feel like I'm in goddamn bizzaro land, sitting here waiting for the relative calmness that the General Election will bring.

royalan

God, if Bernie stays in the next Barney Frank interview is going to be a master class in reading the house down. Just catastrophic shade. Can't wait.

You ought to recognize that Bernie comes from a pretty different primordial soup than any other major US politician. While he's quite similar to Hillary in practice, his priorities are somewhat different. As an example, he wouldn't be satisfied with universal health care if it happens on the terms of profit-seeking companies. He's a big opponent of campaign finance reform, Wall Street speculation, and international capitalism because he believes the wealthy have too much power, and this power should be curbed. While Hillary Clinton discusses the wealth divide occasionally, she's really just advocating for the standard Democratic platform. Bernie Sanders and the Democratic party have never seen eye-to-eye, and the Democratic party has a pretty checkered history of fucking over other leftist groups. Had the Democrats' tolerated his viewpoints during the days of Mr. Clinton, Bernie Sanders would have become a registered Democrat much earlier than 2015.

In other words, if it were up to Bernie Sanders alone, many of my friends and family would have no access to health insurance because he wouldn't have let go of his principles to get votes from other Democrat's.

Effect

So the GOP is going to go full general mode and we have to deal with Bernie and his shit?

Ugh if it was even close that's one thing.

I think Hillary and the DNC are very likely going to switch as well. The Dem side is all but decided at this point. Hillary will have the pledged delegate lead and the popular vote. Super delegates aren't going to switch no matter how much Sanders and his people keep talking. Especially not with some of the more hardcore Sanders supporters harassing them. There is no real uncertainty or what if. If he doesn't play ball I wouldn't be surprised if they say "Screw it we'll double down on trying to get the more reasonable Sanders supporters on our own and show them why Trump would hurt their own cause". If he was a LOT closer in the count like how Obama and Clinton were back in 2008, splitting the actual Dem vote more which is what Obama was doing and had been a long standing Dem and not one that just joined to run things would be different. Him just joining to run is why he doesn't give a fuck and keeps attacking her the way he has. It's why he only cares about maybe 5 people when it comes to down the ballot races.

He has a choice to be handling things differently but he's not taking it. Even if his reason for staying in was in case something bad happen he doesn't have to act the way he is. That's my biggest issue. I don't mind him staying in. However if he's going to stay in he should be more productive about it. His attacks aren't going to change things in his favor this late. All they're doing is giving ammo to Trump and the republicans and souring his base who in turn flood social media with their memes, attacks, etc. Attacks that Trump has been trying to use against her already. If he cares at all about getting anything he's championing done he'd stop and think about what he's doing.

I think people should really try not to freak out about Bernie Sanders. I seriously can't imagine him having any serious effect on Hillary in the general, yet some people are just flipping out. Chill, it'll be okay.

I feel like I'm in goddamn bizzaro land, sitting here waiting for the relative calmness that the General Election will bring.

The problem is that for Trump the general starts tonight. Hillary is going to just have more time spent with Bernie damaging potential turnout by alienating his supporters from the Democratic ticket if he's not at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom