• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh5890

MIDZPZl.gif

https://vine.co/v/ixTFgB6J9Hi

Bailey's? He went straight for the Jack

Brinbe

It's a fun read
http://www.redstate.com/leon_h_wolf/2016/05/04/republicans-confirm-merrick-garland-asap./

Now that Donald Trump is the presumptive nominee, this is not even a close call. There is absolutely no reason to drag this out any longer. Garland is not a great choice, but he is not a terrible one, either. And more than anything, he is old (for a modern Supreme Court appointment) and will be up for replacement in probably 10 years instead of 20 or 30.

Republicans must know that there is absolutely no chance that we will win the White House in 2016 now. They must also know that we are likely to lose the Senate as well. So the choices, essentially, are to confirm Garland and have another bite at the apple in a decade, or watch as President Clinton nominates someone who is radically more leftist and 10-15 years younger, and we are in no position to stop it.

In fact, if I were the Republicans, my main concern right now would be that Barack Obama would withdraw Garland’s nomination today. The fact that Merrick Garland still exists as an option right now is a gift that should not be squandered.

The calculus has changed – confirm Merrick Garland before it is too late.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My parents and I are fortunately completely aligned in our support of Hillary. And the resentment over how she's been treated for the last two decades is very real with my mother, the simmering anger of liberal women is not to be underestimated.

Bowdz

I just can't believe this is the sequel to Obama's presidency. The leader of the Birther movement now the Republican nominee and possibly the successor to his legacy.

Obama is itching to go out on the campaign trail. You can feel it. It's gonna be great to watch him go after Trump all fall.

I've said it before, but this election isn't really going to be Hillary vs. Trump. It'll be Obama vs. Trump. He is the only one with the platform large enough to demolish Trump and he has already got in his head. Anytime the President holds a presser, the media will cover it. He'll just be taking pot shots all year long from the White House drawing fire off Hilldawg and hitting the trail with force. Obama's final job.

Claim on /r/The_Donald-- "CIA Director claims: Hillary emails may have CAUSED the Benghazi disaster!!!"
What's at the actual article linked: "Ray McGovern, CIA analyst and a trusted confidant of Presidents Nixon, Ford and Reagan, believes it is entirely possible that Clinton’s unsecure server was hacked."

Top comment: "Oh shit. Of all the theories I have heard, this makes the most sense." Though out of fairness there is an upvoted comment that calls out the source and title as bullshit. OP replied to that; "I didn't catch the difference before posting and cannot go back and edit it... However, if the story adds up and is true, it doesn;t matter if Hitler himself said it."

Number of sub subscribers that actually clicked through and read: Statistically insignificant. Gonna be a long summer, folks. God, it's Gamergate bullshit again. Shit. "Total lie of an article summary from grey web non-news source defaultly trusted as 100% fact without ever reading it; Even after being called out supporters don't give a shit." Anyone disagreeing could be "cunts", "sluts", "bitches", "SJWs", "cucks", etc.

Grief.exe

Claim on /r/The_Donald-- "CIA Director claims: Hillary emails may have CAUSED the Benghazi disaster!!!"
What's at the actual article linked: "Ray McGovern, CIA analyst and a trusted confidant of Presidents Nixon, Ford and Reagan, believes it is entirely possible that Clinton’s unsecure server was hacked."

Top comment: "Oh shit. Of all the theories I have heard, this makes the most sense." Though out of fairness there is an upvoted comment that calls out the source and title as bullshit. OP replied to that; "I didn't catch the difference before posting and cannot go back and edit it... However, if the story adds up and is true, it doesn;t matter if Hitler himself said it."

Number of sub subscribers that actually clicked through and read: Statistically insignificant. Gonna be a long summer, folks. God, it's Gamergate bullshit again. Shit. "Total lie of an article summary from grey web non-news source defaultly trusted as 100% fact without ever reading it; Even after being called out supporters don't give a shit." Anyone disagreeing could be "cunts", "sluts", "bitches", "SJWs", "cucks", etc.

Am I a bad person if I'm looking forward to the absurdity, memes, and inevitable tears?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I can't wait to see the gymnastics being pulled off in rationalizing Merrick before the election is over from those who said they wouldn't budge. Don't worry guys, this was the plan all along, all according to keikaku.

I knew I should have put some money on this!

kingkitty

I wish Garland wasn't so old.

Ideally Garland would rescind his name after the election, giving Hillary a better opportunity to pick someone younger with her Democratic majority in the Senate. But I dunno, seems like Garland will definitely be on the court.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
My mom is the type of republican voter that doesn't think about politics much, but votes every election for the republican because she's always been a republican.

Just Hillary Clinton as a candidate by herself presented the first time there was an opportunity to make her rethink her vote, and Donald Trump absolutely seals the deal. I doubt it'll transition to long term support or downballot swaps, but it's certainly something, and I'm sure there's plenty of people like that to make 2016 an easy win for democrats.

Even against Jeb or Rubio, Hillary would probably get a lot of voters that like her experience, don't see her saying anything controversial, and understandably want a first woman president. Trump only helps to add to that.

Hillary leads Trump by 13 points in new CNN poll:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2016/images/05/04/rel6b.-.2016.general.pdf

Most important point, Republicans view "terrorism" as the most important issue facing America. Now, fewer Americans have been killed by ISIS ever than have been killed via domestic violence in the last week. Does "terrorism" mean "my desire to exclude brown people from the United States" or Republicans so bad at assessing risk that they are honestly so afraid?

It's kind of like the main Obama question remaining: Do Republicans say he's a Muslim because of genuine stupidity or are they using it as a substitute for the n-word?

lenovox1

Um we should be forcing the issue at this point.

If the current (lack of) media coverage of Sanders is any indication, the US media has already made this a race between Clinton and Trump and are giving Sanders the most limited amount of coverage feasible.

Unless Senator Sanders gets really nasty, there's nothing worth covering anymore. His campaign is no longer viable.

ivysaur12

Banned
My mom is the type of republican voter that doesn't think about politics much, but votes every election for the republican because she's always been a republican.

Just Hillary Clinton as a candidate by herself presented the first time there was an opportunity to make her rethink her vote, and Donald Trump absolutely seals the deal. I doubt it'll transition to long term support or downballot swaps, but it's certainly something, and I'm sure there's plenty of people like that to make 2016 an easy win for democrats.

Even against Jeb or Rubio, Hillary would probably get a lot of voters that like her experience, don't see her saying anything controversial, and understandably want a first woman president. Trump only helps to add to that.

Do we have the same mother?

...JOHN?! IS THAT YOU JOHN?!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's kind of like the main Obama question remaining: Do Republicans say he's a Muslim because of genuine stupidity or are they using it as a substitute for the n-word?

I had always just assumed it was because of his middle name, but now I'm not so sure. That's going to fester...

I wish Garland wasn't so old.

Ideally Garland would rescind his name after the election, giving Hillary a better opportunity to pick someone younger with her Democratic majority in the Senate. But I dunno, seems like Garland will definitely be on the court.
He could be on the Court for 20 years or so, and he's immensely qualified.

It seems likely that Ginsberg and Kennedy will retire soon anyway, plenty of time for Goodwin Liu.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Complacency is dangerous. Maybe they want everyone worried so they go vote

The problem for the GOP is that the guy they're running engenders the opposite of liberal complacency.

Ophelion

My mom grew up in a Dem household with Dem values. She votes Dem most of the time, except for a few years when she abstained because she felt like she was canceling out my dad's voice by voting against him (which didn't matter anyway because we've lived in Washington state for nearly ten years, but anyway.)

I had to be like, "Mom, what about your voice? Who cares how dad votes, vote how you like."

She will 100% vote for Hillary. She loathes Trump with a fire that burns like a thousand suns. Because of all the bullshit my dad spews, she's been very much one of those "both parties are the same" people, even if she leans D, but when it comes to Trump she gets this uncharacteristically fiery look in her eyes and is like, "We have to destroy him."

Dems could be running a literal donkey as their nominee. She'd still vote for that over Trump.

digdug2k

Political journalists pretending that Trump can make this close are joke people. Trump is a sexist buffoon who is going to say things that anger 51% of voters every week coming up. It's going to be a bloodbath. He'll lose as bad as Goldwater did.
I dunno. I worry he'll pivot well. I already see a lot more "He didn't really mean anything he was saying" and "He's really a lot like Bernie" posts coming through my stream. It seems like he just has to basically say nothing and let people make up their own narratives about what he does/doesn't believe at this point.

ivysaur12

Banned
I dunno. I worry he'll pivot well. I already see a lot more "He didn't really mean anything he was saying" and "He's really a lot like Bernie" posts coming through my stream. It seems like he just has to basically say nothing and let people make up their own narratives about what he does/doesn't believe at this point.

The first thing he did after he won 5 states last Tuesday was say that Hillary would only be at 5% if she were a man!

And then last night he tweeted O'Reilly that he won Virginia, because O'Reilly mistakenly had a graphic saying he lost it. He is delusional and does not know how to pivot.

Ophelion

The first thing he did after he won 5 states last Tuesday was say that Hillary would only be at 5% if she were a man!

And then last night he tweeted O'Reilly that he won Virginia, because O'Reilly mistakenly had a graphic saying he lost it. He is delusional and does not know how to pivot.

Agreed. There's no way he can keep his mouth shut long enough for people to rationalize away all his problems.

Trump is incredibly thin-skinned and lacks self-control, he's going to be saying damaging stuff non-stop once the Democratic pacs and Hillary unload on him.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think I might be done with the OT political threads. We're going to get to a point where we see some bad liberal chicken littleing and people completely misunderstanding the political process, and it's tiresome. We have 6 more months of this shit.

When I was growing up my mom was a pretty outspoken Republican and she didn't care much for Hillary. She seemed to particularly hate "It Takes a Village to Raise a Child" even though I doubt she read it. Dubya pretty much drove her away from the party and I can't imagine she'd vote for Trump. I had always just assumed my dad was Republican as well, but I later found out he'd been quietly voting Democratic for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom