• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
i laughed at this
tom's references are always from that specific era
After watching from 1986 through 1999 (so far), I remain pretty firm in my love for that era. It saw a dropoff during the mid-90s for two or three seasons and got stronger toward the end of the decade, but early 90s SNL, to me, was incredible.

Sianos

I think everyone put me on their ignore list.

I feel the same way whenever I put effort into a post. :<

Interesting points - though remember as well that while Trump may be a currently convenient figurehead for the alt-right, they do actually have additional positions of their own. And they are particularly unpleasant. White supremacy and sexism more brazen and more planned out than Trump, a rejection of technological progress as corrupting society, a rejection of democracy itself in favor of a monarchy.

But the good news remains that the alt-right is far more visibly unpleasant in far more simple to understand ways, and as such will not be able to get away with so much like the Republican party that preceded it did. They serve well as the simple evil villains that liberals seem to need to distract themselves from ravaging each other. So you're right that Donald is doing us all an excellent service.

User1608

Banned
I'm going to go a bit dark here: if Trump were to somehow against all odds be elected as POTUS I have no idea how I'd react. Guy caused me to spiral into the pits and it wasn't a pretty period from July up to last week. I am so happy to live in MA though. I am very well taken care of in terms of health and stuff. Awesome that there's a safety net for immigrants as long as certain qualifications are met.

Also happy to not be living in Arizona or the like, that's for sure.

Drakeon

s10satsu

Banned
Anyone have some links showing free trade agreements aren't as bad as Bernie & Trump make then out to be?

I mean, it's kind of common sense that they lower the price of goods in NA and vastly improve quality of life in third world countries where many of the jobs move too. The negative affects on labor aren't likely something we can fix and they'd happen via automation eventually anyway. They look bad because they vastly help people with capital compared to the working class but it's just kind of the nature of the beast. Much better off progressing towards social safety nets like Basic Income and decoupling healthcare from employment than trying to stop free trade or advocating protectionism imo.

I'm going to go a bit dark here: if Trump were to somehow against all odds be elected as POTUS I have no idea how I'd react. Guy caused me to spiral into the pits and it wasn't a pretty period from July up to last week. I am so happy to live in MA though. I am very well taken care of in terms of health and stuff. Awesome that there's a safety net for immigrants as long as certain qualifications are met.

" hugs "

I'm legitimately sorry someone so disgusting has been able to upset you. You know, when it was all hand size shit, funny nicknames, tweets and drinking games...it was funny. It's now terrifying. I mean, I switched to the terrifying camp a few months ago...but still.

We can't let him and his ilk win. We just can't. I think we're lucky in having Hillary as our nominee. She's dealt with assholes like Trump for 30 years. She can take punches and give them when she needs to. She has the temperament to deal with an asshole like him.

Sianos

Also happy to not be living in Arizona or the like, that's for sure.

Yeah, if Trump were to somehow win, it wouldn't just be silly deals and embarrassment for the country, or even just a stupid wall and a ban on Muslim immigrants as crazy as it sounds to qualify that with "just". The alt-right is dangerous, and they would certainly feed their figurehead with the plans for their fascist America.

But his opponent is the perfect person for the job - she's been the target of smears for decades and came out of it stronger, she's the reasonable and respectable policy aficionado who prioritizes getting things done and securing the future. And as we speak, the Clinton machine that has been revving up for the past months is preparing to shift onto the offensive. Additionally, this sort of brazenly simple "badness" serving as a villain is exactly what liberals need to stay focused and coordinate with each other.

The glimpse into the abyss is frightening, but I think that this glimpse into the stakes will ensure that the progressive movement does not falter.

IrishNinja

#DropOutHilary trending on my facebooks...hooo doggie, death throes are rarely pretty

just a whole bunch of HA goodmans walkin around down there, morty. really cronenberging the world right up.

User1608

Banned
" hugs "

I'm legitimately sorry someone so disgusting has been able to upset you. You know, when it was all hand size shit, funny nicknames, tweets and drinking games...it was funny. It's now terrifying. I mean, I switched to the terrifying camp a few months ago...but still.

We can't let him and his ilk win. We just can't. I think we're lucky in having Hillary as our nominee. She's dealt with assholes like Trump for 30 years. She can take punches and give them when she needs to. She has the temperament to deal with an asshole like him.
*hugs back*
Thank you for being such a sweetheart, Adam. You're one of my fave people here for good reason. I do believe Hillary can counter anything Trump throws at her effectively. I have faith the country will see her as the adult in the room over some bigoted, childish bully. I too feel glad to see her make it this far. I've admired her from when I was a child and it will mean a lot to me if she, a woman (and a highly qualified one at that!) were to win!
Yeah, if Trump were to somehow win, it wouldn't just be silly deals and embarrassment for the country, or even just a stupid wall and a ban on Muslim immigrants as crazy as it sounds to qualify that with "just". The alt-right is dangerous, and they would certainly feed their figurehead with the plans for their fascist America.

But his opponent is the perfect person for the job - she's been the target of smears for decades and came out of it stronger, she's the reasonable and respectable policy aficionado who prioritizes getting things done and securing the future. And as we speak, the Clinton machine that has been revving up for the past months is preparing to shift onto the offensive. Additionally, this sort of brazenly simple "badness" serving as a villain is exactly what liberals need to stay focused and coordinate with each other.

The glimpse into the abyss is frightening, but I think that this glimpse into the stakes will ensure that the progressive movement does not falter.
Great post! Yeah, the losers, and so many millions and millions of them, that you've mentioned cannot be allowed to have their views legitimized by having this clownish candidate win.
#DropOutHilary trending on my facebooks...hooo doggie, death throes are rarely pretty

just a whole bunch of HA goodmans walkin around down there, morty. really cronenberging the world right up.
Lmao, the Ha! Goodman stuff is my fave running joke here.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Adam 387 said:
I've met Sherrod Brown twice, Hillary twice (but only spoke to her once for about 10 seconds...IT COUNTS DAMN IT),
Adam was like:
giphy.gif

*HRC rolls eyes and moves to next person.*

I've been trying to do some research on Tom Perez since he's been getting talked about a lot and I got about a third of the way through an article thinking "Yeah what a badass" before realizing it was supposed to be a hit piece condemning him for his work towards racial justice.

I've been trying to do some research on Tom Perez since he's been getting talked about a lot and I got about a third of the way through an article thinking "Yeah what a badass" before realizing it was supposed to be a hit piece condemning him for his work towards racial justice.

Yup, right wing articles trying to paint how evil the Civil Rights division of the Justice Department usually leaves me saying, "I don't see the overreach here."

itschris

Something to share with any Bernie supporters talking about how Trump wouldn't be so bad:

New York Times - &#8216;President Trump?&#8217; Here&#8217;s How He Says It Would Look

Shortly after the Nov. 8 election, President-elect Trump and his vice president &#8212; most likely a governor or member of Congress &#8212; would begin interviewing candidates for the open Supreme Court seat and quickly settle on a nominee in the mold of Justice Antonin Scalia.

He would start &#8220;building a government based on relationships,&#8221; perhaps inviting the Republican leaders Paul D. Ryan and Mitch McConnell to escape the chilly Washington fall and schmooze at Mar-a-Lago over golf and two-pound lobsters.

On Inauguration Day, he would go to a &#8220;beautiful&#8221; gala ball or two, but focus mostly on rescinding Obama executive orders on immigration and calling up corporate executives to threaten punitive measures if they shift jobs out of the United States.

And by the end of his first 100 days as the nation&#8217;s 45th leader, the wall with Mexico would be designed, the immigration ban on Muslims would be in place, the audit of the Federal Reserve would be underway and plans to repeal the Affordable Care Act would be in motion.

I'm sure there won't be very many Sanders-to-Trump voters in the end, but I've definitely seen that sentiment on Reddit and various news sites' comment sections.

HylianTom

Banned
Something to share with any Bernie supporters talking about how Trump wouldn't be so bad:

New York Times - ‘President Trump?’ Here’s How He Says It Would Look

I'm sure there won't be very many Sanders-to-Trump voters in the end, but I've definitely seen that sentiment on Reddit and various news sites' comment sections.
Yeah, but what difference does it make? Hillary is so corrupt and non-progressive that she'll appoint conservative justices, too. She's gotta do the bidding of her corporate overlords, dontchaknow?

(Yes, this is one of the most asinine, willfully ignorant claims I've seen recently, even in our own beloved OT. And coming from supposed progressives, no less.)

studyguy

I'm not looking forward to the ballwashing Ben Sasse is going to get from National Review/David Brooks types for the next four years if he actually stays true to his not-Trump pledge.

CCS

Banned
I'm disappointed in McCain. I've never been his biggest fan, but I expected him to have a bit more self respect rather than backing Trump.

HUELEN10

New York Times - ‘President Trump?’ Here’s How He Says It Would Look

Saw this earlier and thought it was a good read.

Now of course I don't condone or like everything Trump stands for, but I absolutely believe the Federal Reserve SHOULD be audited, even better if it was destroyed. I don't see how people could see that specific thing as a bad thing.

CCS

Banned

Now of course I don't condone or like everything Trump stands for, but I absolutely believe the Federal Reserve SHOULD be audited, even better if it was destroyed. I don't see how people could see that specific thing as a bad thing.

You don't see how the Federal Reserve being destroyed would be a bad thing? You what?

HUELEN10

You don't see how the Federal Reserve being destroyed would be a bad thing? You what?

I am one of those people who think the Federal reserve bank is a form of economic slavery that is killing our nation. No, I am not a libertarian (though there are certain common ideals I share, not gonna lie), but I still hate the Fed. There has to be a better way and there is, and there must. Maybe competing currencies, maybe something else? I can't say, but I think we need something. Fuck that private bank...

CCS

Banned
I am one of those people who think the Fed is slavery that is killing our nation. No, I am not a libertarian, but I still hate the Fed. There has to be a better way and there is, and there must. Fuck that private bank...

I'm sorry, but that is complete insanity and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the purpose of the Fed. By God...

pigeon

Banned
I am one of those people who think the Fed is slavery that is killing our nation. No, I am not a libertarian, but I still hate the Fed. There has to be a better way and there is, and there must. Fuck that private bank...

Wait, what?

Can you explain how the Fed is slavery?

Are you a sovereign citizen? That might actually explain a whole bunch of stuff.

Tubie

I am one of those people who think the Fed is slavery that is killing our nation. No, I am not a libertarian (though there are certain common ideals I share, not gonna lie), but I still hate the Fed. There has to be a better way and there is, and there must. Fuck that private bank...

What in the actual fuck...

HUELEN10

Wait, what?

Can you explain how the Fed is slavery?

Are you a sovereign citizen? That might actually explain a whole bunch of stuff.
No, I am not a sovereign citizen nor do I belong to any crazy groups, I am just an independent kinda stuck in the middle of it all with priorities and things I care about in a leader which, truthfully aren't too common.

Some people like myself who think the Fed is a form of economic Slavery is because of how its run, how it controls and influences the mint, and how to many it is seen as nothing more than a corrupt system of debt loans unto the nation. Like Ron Paul said and promoted in 2098, the man I did vote for in that election BTW, I am not against competing currency.

Ask some libertarians, and they might make similar remarks and feelings about the fed. It's not common, but it is not unheard of, and I for one think that Trump could be the closest major candidate that could actually do something conceding it that could bring about change.

pigeon

Banned
No, I am not a sovereign citizen nor do I belong to any crazy groups, I am just an independent kinda stuck in the middle of it all with priorities and things I care about in a leader which, truthfully aren't too common.

Some people like myself who think the Fed is a form of economic Slavery is because of how its run, how it controls and influences the mint, and how to many it is seen as nothing more than a corrupt system of debt loans unto the nation.

Right, but can you explain what aspects of how it's run and how it influences the mint or makes debt loans or whatever makes it slavery?

Like name one specific thing the Fed does and specifically how it's a form of economic slavery. Or link some sources or something.

Tubie

Some people like myself who think the Fed is a form of economic Slavery is because of how its run, how it controls and influences the mint, and how to many it is seen as nothing more than a corrupt system of debt loans unto the nation. Like Ron Paul said and promoted in 2098, the man I did vote for in that election BTW, I am not against competing currency.

So you want the fed to increase interest rates faster and more sharply then?

You know that job has to be done by someone in the end, whether it's a private bank or a state controlled bank. Both have upsides and downsides.

I am one of those people who think the Federal reserve bank is a form of economic slavery that is killing our nation. No, I am not a libertarian (though there are certain common ideals I share, not gonna lie), but I still hate the Fed. There has to be a better way and there is, and there must. Maybe competing currencies, maybe something else? I can't say, but I think we need something. Fuck that private bank...

I swear to god Hullen. Some of the stuff you post is so out there and crazy. I can't even get mad because it's so entertaing

HUELEN10

Right, but can you explain what aspects of how it's run and how it influences the mint or makes debt loans or whatever makes it slavery?

Like name one specific thing the Fed does and specifically how it's a form of economic slavery. Or link some sources or something.

Truthfully, I am not the best person to speak about all the details on the subject. Though I know a bit, there are a lot of aspects that need to be followed together to truly detail why there are bad sides to what it is and how it is wrong. That being said, this Forbes article is a decent primer on why it might be a decent idea to leave its current incarnation.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgel...d-its-time-to-return-to-constitutional-money/

There is tons of stuff out there though. Perhaps some of the federal reserve critical libertarians on GAF might be better people to ask?

As for why it can be slavery? 2 words: Andrew Jackson.

He killed the bank, and believed that those in debt were slaves. Well, if that is true, then we are all shaves to the Fed.

Tubie

Truthfully, I am not the best person to speak about all the details on the subject. Though I know a bit, there are a lot of aspects that need to be followed together to truly detail why there are bad sides to what it is and how it is wrong. That being said, this Forbes article is a decent primer on why it might be a decent idea to leave its current incarnation.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgel...d-its-time-to-return-to-constitutional-money/

There is tons of stuff out there though. Perhaps some of the federal reserve critical libertarians on GAF might be better people to ask?

So you personally have no idea why you think the fed equates to "the Fed is slavery that is killing our nation", and all you can come up with is a forbes contributor and his blog.

You are even admitting you don't understand any of this, yet you think it's modern slavery.

hawk2025

Ask some libertarians, and they might make similar remarks and feelings about the fed. It's not common, but it is not unheard of, and I for one think that Trump could be the closest major candidate that could actually do something conceding it that could bring about change.

All of this, I love all of this.

Huelen finally has all the chaos emeralds in time for the general elections!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

So basically you can't explain why the fed is slavery?

pigeon

Banned

I think I've already argued with those guys. I prefer benji.

I see that this article is a gold standard article. It probably isn't worth going into the reasons why the gold standard is crazy and economically destructive, although I might read up on the Panic of 1873.

So I did some fun math Clinton is only 320 to 650k under her 2008 total while Sanders drags 3 million behind her 08 total....

So once again we see that the turnout is not really down because if Clinton but it us actually Sanders who is unable to inspire at the booth.

Maledict

That linked article refers to paper money as a huge and terrible mistake. The author wants currency to still be actual physical coins held by people.

This is insane. It requires an abandonment of logic and reason so vast that there isn't any response you can give. There's no point arguing because you may as well be talking about the colour of sound on the moon.

EDIT: The author also believe that it is not possible for government spending to stimulate the production of goods and services. Again, this is utter ludicrous insanity of the highest order. Government spending clearly does, on a daily basis, stimulate the production of goods and services. Whether you agree with that or not, to deny the notion that it does it literally barking insanity.

I'm very glad libertarianism is a philosophy that only took root in the USA. Because it's fucking nuts.

mo60

I am not to worried about Trump winning the GE.The majority of anti Trump forces seem to be slowly starting to move towards the Democrats to block Trump.Hispanic registration seems to be up in places and some republicans are starting to decide to not vote for him at all.Just like Canada kicked out Harper and his party out of power last year the US electorate can send a message to Trump by giving a huge victory to Hilary.Hilary is nowhere near as charasmatic or likeable as Justin Trudeau but she is facing an opponent that is way worse than Harper ever was.That should be enough to make her win the GE despite her flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom