• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... Apparently #DropOutHillary is now a thing.
It's worse than I could have imagined. These people are serious, for one. Worse, they're of the mindset that having a larger number of tweets with your hashtag over another means you've more popular and thus automatically right. That's some Gamergate logical bullshit. "We can't be wrong! We have 10 times more tweets than the other guys! There are 10 times more of us!" would be funny were there not people willing to fight to the death based on those numbers. Similar standards of measurement-- YouTube like/dislike ratios representing what people feel is the factual accuracy of a clip; one subreddit having more subscribers than another as an accurate representation of public opinion.

Our schools have failed us if the concept of "duh?" is no longer taught. There's no way to debate these people. We can only sob into our hands.

TyrantII

I'm disappointed in McCain. I've never been his biggest fan, but I expected him to have a bit more self respect rather than backing Trump.

When the going gets tough, McCain 100% capitulates.

He's got a tough reelection campaign, so you know.

Have another bet going this November. Some guy who loves Trump wanted to bet 50$ to a charity of my choice that Trump would win in November. This was after he went on a rant about how Hillary is a lying witch for playing the woman card and how her feminist agenda won't work with anyone. And said "I hate paying taxes that go to useless causes so that a feminist can get a degree in "gender studies".

So now when Hillary wins in November, this guy will be sending $50 to the Feminist Majority Foundation.

Every so often over the last few days, it'll come over me again that "Donald freaking Trump is the GOP nominee ahahahaha" and then a moment of dread over "what if he wins" and then a quick "nah"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Have another bet going this November. Some guy who loves Trump wanted to bet 50$ to a charity of my choice that Trump would win in November. This was after he went on a rant about how Hillary is a lying witch for playing the woman card and how her feminist agenda won't work with anyone. And said "I hate paying taxes that go to useless causes so that a feminist can get a degree in "gender studies".

So now when Hillary wins in November, this guy will be sending $50 to the Feminist Majority Foundation.

You're evil, I love it!

Perfection.gif

Every so often over the last few days, it'll come over me again that "Donald freaking Trump is the GOP nominee ahahahaha" and then a moment of dread over "what if he wins" and then a quick "nah"
I'm sure that it will be like that for me many times too.

Diablos

What if he wins

Every step of the way we've dismissed him until it became very clear how wrong everyone was about him.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I love that, unasked, the spokesman for both Bush, Sr. And Bush, Jr. announced they wouldn't be endorsing Trump.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bush-41-43-plan-endorse-donald-trump/story?id=38887953

Unasked is damn amusing.

It's also ironic since Bush and his failure to start moving the party towards a sustainable future and his creation of the Iraq war on apparent false pretenses could be considered one of the primary reasons that Trump won the nomination.

This article goes into that idea.

Well, I for one am completely and utterly surprised at this unexpected turn of events.
Trump is fighting for the little people.

Probably because he empathises with their hand situation.

Bernie on NPR taking about how ineffective the Dems have been yada yada yada. I swear to fucking god ALL HE DOES IS ATTACK Hillary and the Dems. When is this guy going to actually start attacking the "bad" guys???

I just had this strange feeling that somewhere, in an alternate universe where Trump didn't win, bizzaro-Joe is cursing the Democrats for choosing to throw away the presidency by electing such a poorly liked candidate as their nominee. I really like Hillary Clinton, but boy is she unpopular. Thank God she's facing Trump.

dramatis

This Persona stream is killing me.

The Republican Party's Woman Problem [The Atlantic]
The widespread discussion about the gender gap can obscure more than it illuminates. Since the 1980s, Democratic presidential candidates have consistently run better among women than among men—or put the other way, Republicans have run better with men than women. This pattern has held among whites, African Americans and Hispanics.

But the magnitude of the gender gap is inflated by Democrats’ overwhelming advantage among women of color. President Obama, for instance won exactly 96 percent of African American women, and over two-thirds of Hispanic women, in each of his two victories. Democrats haven’t done nearly as well among white women. In modern exit polling tracing back to 1972, the only Democrat to win more white women than his Republican opponent was Bill Clinton in 1996. Clinton in 1992 and Al Gore in 2000 also ran about even with white women. But since then, the GOP has carried white women by solid margins: 11 points in 2004, seven in 2008, and fully 14 for Mitt Romney against Obama in 2012.
That precedent frames the challenge facing Trump, now the inevitable GOP nominee. Following long-term trends, it’s likely that minorities will cast 30 percent of the 2016 vote, and white women will comprise slightly more of the remainder than white men—just as in 2012. In his absolute best-case scenario, Trump might match the two-thirds of white men that Reagan won in 1984, the party’s modern apex. But given Trump’s astronomical unfavorable ratings among African Americans and Hispanics, it’s not unreasonable to project that Clinton could hold the roughly 80 percent of minority voters who have typically backed Democratic nominees since 1976.

If both those projections held true, and the electorate’s composition followed the long-term patterns, Trump would then need to attract 58 percent of white women to reach a national majority—slightly more than the 56 percent that Romney won. Looking at the equation from the other direction, if Clinton matched the usual Democratic performance with non-white voters and also carried even half of white women, Trump would then need to win more than three-fourths of white men for a national majority, a daunting prospect.
And people think Trump could win

gcubed

I just had this strange feeling that somewhere, in an alternate universe where Trump didn't win, bizzaro-Joe is cursing the Democrats for choosing to throw away the presidency by electing such a poorly liked candidate as their nominee. I really like Hillary Clinton, but boy is she unpopular. Thank God she's facing Trump.

I find this line of reasoning strange. She has over 3m more votes than her competitor, more votes than any other primary candidate in either party, has a poll with a 13-pt lead in the general when she isn't even the nominee yet...

That's a very popular unpopular person

My Facebook wall is back to full on crazy. Last night on one discussion a Sanders voter questioned someone else who said something like 'Bernie wins when independants can vote, so he should be the nominiation' by saying 'wait, hasn't Hillary won more open primaries?'

He was told 'no'.

So I chimed in. Here's what happened.

untitledpicturefesxg.png

If anyone is wondering why I think a percentage of Sanders supporters are maniacs, it's because of stuff like that.

My Facebook wall is back to full on crazy. Last night on one discussion a Sanders voter questioned someone else who said something like 'Bernie wins when independants can vote, so he should be the nominiation' by saying 'wait, hasn't Hillary won more open primaries?'

He was told 'no'.

So I chimed in. Here's what happened.

untitledpicturefesxg.png

If anyone is wondering why I think a percentage of Sanders supporters are maniacs, it's because of stuff like that.

So Ryan, why DO YOU support a known fraud and a war criminal who is being investigated by the FBI!?!??!??!

Also, did Bernie say that he would also not take large money from the DNC during the GE if he were the nominee? Was he really going to completely hamstring himself like that?

This Persona stream is killing me.

The Republican Party's Woman Problem [The Atlantic]

And people think Trump could win

While I'm always against hyperbole, if democrats want to pretend Trump has an actual chance and freak out and stuff... sure, have at it, it will only increase the "You need to fucking vote" message.

The thing that offends me most about the attacks on Hillary....

If Hillary really was this evil, she-witch, war criminal, body hiding, lyin', crooked person...it sure as SHIT wouldn't be the incompetent Right Wingers in Congress who could pin anything on her. The idea that the Right is competent enough to do that is what offends me.

I find this line of reasoning strange. She has over 3m more votes than her competitor, more votes than any other primary candidate in either party, has a poll with a 13-pt lead in the general when she isn't even the nominee yet...

That's a very popular unpopular person

Just basing it on her favorability ratings. She's definitely a beatable candidate. The GOP just decided they didn't feel like doing it.

They can't face facts so they pivot to another debunked issue. I'm sick of bernie bros

Looking back at that funny Taiwanese video from last week--it appears as satire, but holy shit...you come to realize that the video is hardly an exaggeration

So Ryan, why DO YOU support a known fraud and a war criminal who is being investigated by the FBI!?!??!??!

I hit him back with "Why do you think it's okay to vote for an isolationist who claimed women fantasize about being raped?"

And then made a point about how none of the candidates have perfect records, but that Clinton has been stronger on the issues I care about than Sanders, and directed him to find me posting anything about breaking up the banks, or taking down Wall St in the last seven years. Where as there are plenty posts from me about passing common sense gun control.

I got the usual meaningless 'BUT CLINTON SUPPORTS THE SECOND AMENDMENT' rebuke. Then he claimed that he didn't believe me that I thought gun control was more important than income inequality and breaking up the banks.

Fortunately one of the other Sanders supporters (Brandon, himself actually) and I had a really good and meaningful discussion on the issues and the selection process and I gained a Facebook friend. So at least I was reminded too that not all Sanders supporters are like Justin.

What if he wins

Every step of the way we've dismissed him until it became very clear how wrong everyone was about him.

Keep in mind the people saying he's probably going to lose include people like Sam Wang who predicted he would win the nomination. Trump could win and that's terrifying enough, but it's still a small chance.

Unasked is damn amusing.

It's also ironic since Bush and his failure to start moving the party towards a sustainable future and his creation of the Iraq war on apparent false pretenses could be considered one of the primary reasons that Trump won the nomination.

This article goes into that idea.

The Bush presidency was a disaster but one of the few things they were actually smart about was recognizing that they couldn't win with just white votes any more, hence the Hispanic outreach which actually did pay dividends in 2004. The Republicans have basically spent his entire post presidency torching that bridge.

There are a few things that I never will understand about the "Hillary is a right wing" shit liberals throw at her

1) Republicans absolutely hate her. If she was a secret Republican, why wouldn't they basically name her public enemy number 1/2 (Obama being #1 atm)

2) Wouldn't she try and hide her more pragmatic views from the public and try and be a fake Bernie who will give you everything you ask for, only to get into office and turn heel and do nothing she said? What's the point of offering pragmatic, realistic solutions when... that's exactly what you plan on doing?

Would Trump start in a extremely disadvantage because he did not raise a lot of money during the primary to use in the election and did not build GOTV teams across the states?

Would Trump start in a extremely disadvantage because he did not raise a lot of money during the primary to use in the election and did not build GOTV teams across the states?

He starts at an extreme disadvantage because he is Trump, he is nominated by the GOP and again because he is nominated by the GOP.

Demographics are Demographics. White people are dying, Black and Hispanic people are increasing.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Don't love Trump, but I put money down for him to win. The going price was pretty cheap, and I think it was undervalued. It's pretty much all my winnings from predicting that he'd win the Republican nomination back in September, so it's no big deal if he doesn't. The price is probably going to go up in the short term anyway, so if I think he's about to tank, hopefully I'll sell it off in time while I still have a profit. We'll see if it works out twice.

There are a few things that I never will understand about the "Hillary is a right wing" shit liberals throw at her

1) Republicans absolutely hate her. If she was a secret Republican, why wouldn't they basically name her public enemy number 1/2 (Obama being #1 atm)

2) Wouldn't she try and hide her more pragmatic views from the public and try and be a fake Bernie who will give you everything you ask for, only to get into office and turn heel and do nothing she said? What's the point of offering pragmatic, realistic solutions when... that's exactly what you plan on doing?

One thing I've been thinking about, is how her biggest misstep this campaign has been to seemingly celebrate the collapse of the coal industry. Because she's such a corporate shill right? And she doesn't really care about the environment right?

Someone was pondering on my facebook feed last night 'Why would she defund the campaign finance system that got her elected?' It's so blinkered. Because it's also the campaign finance system that funded all the attack ads against her maybe?

In terms of gun control, lets say Clinton doesn't want assault rifles to be legal. And lets say this is in no small part because a big bunch of people are coming after her with assault rifles. So she picks up an assault rifle herself, to defend herself from an attack that's only legal because assault rifles are legal, and her neighbor, who the people aren't coming after calls her a hypocrite for using an assault rifle.

She wouldn't need a super pac if there weren't super pacs running attacks on her. It isn't complicated.

gcubed

Just basing it on her favorability ratings. She's definitely a beatable candidate. The GOP just decided they didn't feel like doing it.

Any candidate is a beatable candidate if you have the right person next to them. Getting a 3rd straight term is incredibly difficult no matter what your name is.

Crocodile

I'm curious, has Hilary run a single attack ad against Sanders? I can't seem to recall one but maybe I'm forgetting some or missed them?

I'm curious, has Hilary run a single attack ad against Sanders? I can't seem to recall one but maybe I'm forgetting some or missed them?

No, she hasn't.

But neither has Bernie because, and this is legitimately his argument, he never mentioned her by name in any of them, ergo they're not attack/negative ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom