• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, he's a professional protester. Even in Congress, a lot of the times he's just protesting things and not actually getting anything done. Maybe he'll listen to Obama's speech on compromise and learn a thing or two... nah he won't.

I do think that speech is aimed at his supporters more than Sanders himself (who has voted in the senate for lots of things that he didn't agree with 100%). They aren't taking it well though as it finally crushed their fantasy that Obama was secretly pro Sanders.

Gotchaye

Japan has many problems, but are you denying that their debt is one of them?

I mean, it really hasn't looked like one, right? You brought Japan up as an example we don't want to follow but surely if we're trying to draw a lesson here it's that we're apparently far short of the amount of debt that would actually be a problem. This is really weird! You want to argue that the debt is a big problem because what if our interest rates suddenly shoot up and you do this by pointing to... a country with much more debt whose interest rates haven't gone up but which you say is going to suffer when its interest rates go up. This is not very persuasive.

And of course we can ask why it is that Japan is where it is. Quite plausibly the reason they've got such a huge amount of debt relative to GDP is that they've been unwilling to spend what's necessary to get out of the hole they're in. Are you saying that their problem is a wildly generous welfare state? Are you saying they'd be better off now if in let's say 2000 they'd started running a balanced budget? Because what I see is basically zero inflation and very weak growth since about 1990. The lesson from Japan is that deficit spending just enough to keep inflation positive, at least when growth is slow, does not seem to work very well (although, sure, maybe they're just doomed because they don't have enough babies). Your economy doesn't grow but your debt keeps going up. Of course it's more complicated than this but even if Japan should be super-concerned about its debt it kind of looks to me like the right move is obviously just to spend enough to drive inflation up to let's say 3 or 4% because that's going to drop debt-to-gdp faster than pretty much anything else. At 230% debt-to-gdp, 3% inflation is worth as much as a 7% budget surplus even if they could get that surplus without crashing their economy. Obviously real GDP would probably go up too if they were spending that much, and obviously it would go way down if they ran huge surpluses, and that's going to also have a big impact on debt-to-gdp.

It looks to me like the US has pretty safe levels of debt and that we can continue to deficit spend while relying on inflation and growth to stabilize debt-to-gdp in the long-term. This is especially true when interest rates are so low because we have a bunch of time to realize gains from public investment before we have to worry about paying back more than we borrowed. Higher interest rates 10 years from now are worth paying if we're growing faster in the meantime - debt-to-gdp might even be lower because of our deficit spending. You've been pretty vague on what it means to be "fiscally responsible", but if you're saying that the Democrats have clearly not been that then I've got to think that you're in favor of aiming to do something like balance the budget within some number of years. And I don't see why you'd aim for that unless for some reason you're expecting no inflation and no growth and very little impact of spending on either.

ChX_AW4W0AMqiRe.jpg

This guy was one of the main #Gaters, omg.

Makai

I am not agreeing with the poster you responded to but I think you are underestimating the "baby problem". No amount of increase in debt spending is going to change the fact that their national pension model is quickly becoming unsustainable.
Use income tax to fund Social Security. Done.

Some more retroactive momentum for Bernie from Washington State, where he decimated Hillary with a 73% vs 27% win, and was awarded an extra 31 delegates, which reduces the pledged delegate gap to 291 :).

Here's a quote from WSJ's highly misleading article, as "Duh!", a five year old could tell you that a 31 delegate gain in Washington State "trumps" a puny one delegate loss (4 / 3) in Guam:

WASHINGTON—Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders has cut into Hillary Clinton’s lead by more than two dozen delegates, based on new data from Washington state, but the gain hasn’t improved his chances of winning the nomination as his rival won the Guam caucus.

Rubs hands together in anticipation of a tasty win in West Virginia :).

So the idea that Benie would refocus on his message and not damaging Clinton or the Democratic party seems to have gone up in smoke. I understand they have to go through the grieving process, but it really does feel at this stage like he's causing damage and has no intention of trying to unify the party. At least in 2008 Clinton switched from attacking Obama when it was obvious she had lost.

That;s because Hillary has more integrity the Bernie. She has enough humility to put the good of the nation ahead of her own Ego. Bernie continues to prove that he's completely bought into his own hype and cult he's built for himself.

Daniel B·;202947063 said:
Some more retroactive momentum for Bernie from Washington State, where he decimated Hillary with a 73% vs 27% win, and was awarded an extra 31 delegates, which reduces the pledged delegate gap to 291 :).

Here's a quote from WSJ's highly misleading article, as "Duh!", a five year old could tell you that a 31 delegate gain in Washington State "trumps" a puny one delegate loss (4 / 3) in Guam:

This was already taken into account by everyone from The Green Papers to Benchmark. These weren't new delegates.

Payroll taxes. Which stop at 110k something

edit: i might be misunderstanding
Employees' pension insurance: 7.852% (September 2009 to August 2010) of monthly wage class earnings (salary and bonuses before tax), according to 30 wage classes; miners and seamen contribute 8.224% (September 2009 to August 2010) of monthly earnings (salary and bonuses before tax).
Employers contracting out of a portion of the Employees' Pension Insurance contribute 5.47% to 5.77% of monthly earnings (salary and bonuses before tax).
The minimum monthly earnings used to calculate contributions are 98,000 yen.
The maximum monthly earnings used to calculate contributions are 620,000 yen.
The minimum and maximum earnings levels are adjusted on an ad hoc basis according to the increase in the national average wage.
Looks like an income tax to me.

Gotchaye

I am not agreeing with the poster you responded to but I think you are underestimating the "baby problem". No amount of increase in debt spending is going to change the fact that their national pension model is quickly becoming unsustainable.

Yeah, sure. Maybe this was in a quick edit afterwards but I've got a parenthetical in there to that effect. Maybe there is literally nothing Japan can do other than start having lots of babies or robots.

It's still kind of weird to point at Japan (1) as an example of how terrible it is to have lots of debt, when their debt hasn't caused problems yet and they have lots more than us, and (2) as part of arguing that we should be much more "fiscally responsible", when Japan built up all that debt while spending basically just enough to avoid deflation.

Sure, maybe Japan would be much much worse off if they'd spent more money. Maybe they have pursued the optimal fiscal policy every step of the way and their strategy of holding inflation at 0 is a model for the world. But you certainly can't get that conclusion just by looking at Japan and noticing that they've got a lot of debt.

So it went from 291 to 291?

ampere

Iolo

Hahaha, this is great.

And from the related article:

Though I review all types of games for the Houston Press, at my heart I love role-playing games the best. I was weaned young on Final Fantasies, and am now almost 200 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles. My favorite RPG, though, is definitely the country we live in.

But it's a red state in the south.

Well, I guess anything that helps him catch up in any regard seeing as how Bernie has now lost more red states and more blue states.

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/728745639690031104

Yet another situation where reading past the headline is hard
The hypocrisy is so astounding.

You'll have him bragging about winning more Republican votes than Hillary in one speech, then he hops on Twitter to lambast Hillary's backers for hitting up Republican donors who are now without a party.

I'm at a loss at how this revolution is supposed to happen without getting some people to cross over from the other side.

No one votes Green Party and expects them to win, they just relish in the smugness of being above it all. I'm really starting to think the same of Bernie Sanders.

Fuck Jill Stein.

To be fair, it's hard to not fall for joke posters, seeing as how Sanders' campaign has essentially become a Poe - someone satirizing it is indistinguishable from a True Believer™ supporting it.

I will give Sanders' credit - he's been very smart to ignore Stein even though she's been trying to ride his coat-tails HARD through this whole process. I think he certainly recognizes that while the Green party might have some overlap with his ambitions and goals, the extra baggage (anti-vaccine, 100% anti-GMO, 100% anti-nuclear, instant 50% military reduction, etc.) is just toxic to actual progressive progress. Given an extreme, even he recognizes compromise takes center stage.

royalan

Bernie Sanders is a liar.

That's really all that needs to be said at this point.

In more arousing news, lord have mercy Paul Ryan. I've never felt so guilty about finding a man attractive.

Armaros

I will give Sanders' credit - he's been very smart to ignore Stein even though she's been trying to ride his coat-tails HARD through this whole process. I think he certainly recognizes that while the Green party might have some overlap with his ambitions and goals, the extra baggage (anti-vaccine, 100% anti-GMO, 100% anti-nuclear, instant 50% military reduction, etc.) is just dtoxic to actual progressive progress. Given an extreme, even he recognizes compromise takes center stage.

Fastest way for him to get a serious challenger is if people could tie him to the Green Party and their baggage instead of just letting him be Bernie Independent.

This article's amazing.
You guys like factually incorrect articles?
Hillary Clinton was pushing for a single-payer health system back when I was borrowing ten bucks from my mom to play Mortal Kombat II at the local Sellers Brothers. Barack Obama advocated for it as well.

HylianTom

Banned
There is basically no chance Paul Ryan actually gets primaried right? Right?

FreeRepublic was gloating about a poll that has his challenger out ahead of him by a pretty good margin, but I didn't recognize the pollster.

It'd be hysterical if it happened. It'd add greatly to the "GOP divided" narrative that's legitimately going-on. Good timing for August.

Nehlen: 48%
Ryan: 41%

http://prntly.com/2016/05/07/paul-ryan-panic-primary-challenger-nehlen-surges-to-lead-in-new-poll/

But it's a red state in the south.

Well, I guess anything that helps him catch up in any regard seeing as how Bernie has now lost more red states and more blue states.

Code:
Pollster				Dates		Sanders Clinton Undecided
--------				-----		-------	-------	--------- 
R.L. Repass & Partners/MetroNews 	4/22 - 5/2	   47	  43	   11
PPP (D)					4/29 - 5/1	   45	  37	   18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom