• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fastest way for him to get a seriously challenger is if people could tie him to the Green Party and their baggage instead of just letting him be Bernie Independent.
I'm really curious if he ends up running as a Democrat in 2018.

Would be neat if he did and Angus King decided to retire so he could be replaced by an actual Democrat (so help me god Elliot Cutler if you fuck this up) and the caucus is now totally Democratic.

Daniel B·;202950483 said:

Code:
Pollster				Dates		Sanders Clinton Undecided
--------				-----		-------	-------	--------- 
R.L. Repass & Partners/MetroNews 	4/22 - 5/2	   47	  43	   11
PPP (D)					4/29 - 5/1	   45	  37	   18
I'm aware of the polling in West Virginia, i was just wondering why you were cheering the result.

It's my understanding that the red states don't count in a Democratic primary. Or does that only apply to the ones that Hillary wins?

PollingReport.com ‏@pollreport 1h1 hour ago
The way Barack Obama is handling his job as president:
Approve 53%
Disapprove 43%
(Gallup tracking, 5/5-7)

HylianTom

Banned
Approve 53%
Disapprove 43%
(Gallup tracking, 5/5-7)

At this rate, if the race were closer and Hillary had a different opponent, Obama almost seems popular enough to drag her across the finish line himself.

Bronx-Man

Banned
There is basically no chance Paul Ryan actually gets primaried right? Right?
He didn't even want this damn job.

OotJjCf7m7wUwIfAykO-CDa6RGc.gif

At this rate, if the race were closer and Hillary had a different opponent, Obama almost seems popular enough to drag her across the finish line himself.
Yup. I know people are arguing that the fundamentals should help the GOP in this election, and maybe Trump's mere presence is throwing a wrench into that. But I do think against someone like Kasich this election would still only be 50-50 at worst.

That was exactly my reaction. I want more numbers, from a pollster who's known.
Can you imagine though if Ryan did lose? This picture can't possibly get any better.

Our new generation of conservative leaders, taken down by their own party for not hating Mexicans and gays enough. He is part of the rebel alliance and a traitor, take him away!

The GOP is not going to correct in 2020. Trump has made sure of that. If Cruz had won, yeah maybe. But in 2020 they're all going to say what they say every election, "we'd have won with a true conservative" which Trump obviously isn't.
It's natural selection. The GOP will move to whatever gets it the most votes in the primaries. Trumpismo wins.

Valhelm

contribute something
Approve 53%
Disapprove 43%
(Gallup tracking, 5/5-7)

This is great news. Unless things go south, the general approval of the Democratic status quo is gonna be an insurmountable obstacle for Trump.

No surprise, AMP Calypso sounds like it's junk. Quick google search pulled up a December Iowa caucus poll with Rand Paul in 2nd place, and late March polls of WI and NY on the Dem side with Bernie winning 61% in WI and 52% in NY. Yeesh. Bernie at 61 in WI is probably the closest and even that's five points off, to speak nothing of him winning NY.

HylianTom

Banned
No surprise, AMP Calypso sounds like it's junk. Quick google search pulled up a December Iowa caucus poll with Rand Paul in 2nd place, and late March polls of WI and NY on the Dem side with Bernie winning 61% in WI and 52% in NY. Yeesh. Bernie at 61 in WI is probably the closest and even that's five points off, to speak nothing of him winning NY.

Ick. That sucks.

itschris

'I've been silent': Harvard's Clinton backers face life on a pro-Bernie campus

rh9KK8j.jpg

In April, Sam Koppelman, a 20-year-old government student at Harvard, wrote a letter to the New York Times lamenting that his support for Clinton meant that on campus he “might as well be Pat Buchanan”.

“At Harvard, admitting that #ImWithHer is nearly tantamount to boasting ‘Make America Great Again’,” Koppelman wrote.

The letter was a coming out of sorts for Koppelman, who told the Guardian that despite having written frequently about politics for his student newspaper until 2012, he stopped this year for fear that it would “cast me as an outsider, cast me as someone who’s more conservative”.

“The 2016 election I’ve been entirely silent, save for a few snarky tweets. And I think that’s definitely emblematic that I’m trying to avoid these conversations,” he said. He made a conscious decision – until last month – to not write about his support for Clinton.

“If you’re a Hillary supporter, you’re kind of in this happy medium. Or really an unhappy medium,” Koppelman said, “where, by voicing support for Hillary Clinton, you’re at once alienating college Republicans – who still view her basically as the antichrist – and you’re alienating Bernie supporters who view her as this remnant of a time when Washington was extremely corrupt.”

Koppelman, who grew up in New York City, has spent his time at Harvard engaging in leftwing activism. He is involved in the Black Lives Matter movement and started a group called “Harvard can’t breathe”, after Eric Garner died while being arrested in Staten Island, New York City. Garner’s death was ruled a homicide by the medical examiner, but a grand jury decided not to indict the officer who arrested him.

Koppelman is still involved with those groups but said he had been conscious not to announce his support for Clinton to his fellow activists.

“If you’re engaged in activism and you’re a part of the campus left, and then you choose to support Clinton’s campaign … that’s almost a traitorous act,” Koppelman said.

Koppelman said he was prompted to out himself as a Clinton supporter due to frustration at being unable to be open about it. He wanted to address what he sees as a double standard among some Sanders supporters – that to support Clinton is to fail to support the fight for equality.

“Around the country, low income people, low income minorities are voting for Hillary in vast majorities,” Koppelman said.

“And this attitude on college campuses that ‘if you’re an advocate for social justice issues, you need to be a Bernie supporter’ is really dismissive of those people across the country who are voting for Hillary.

“It’s a ‘we know better attitude’ that is so emblematic of the very things Bernie Sanders is campaigning against.”

QlvcrhR.jpg

Not all Harvard’s students are as reluctant to admit their support for Clinton. As a member of the Harvard for Hillary group, Janet Ho canvassed for Clinton during the Massachusetts primary. Ho, a 19-year-old freshman, is an open advocate for the former secretary of state, but admitted that being a Clinton supporter can be difficult.

“Do I feel more challenged by Bernie supporters? Yeah. Do I feel more challenged in general? Yes, I do,” she said. Ho said she felt she had to “justify” her backing for Clinton to Sanders fans.

“They see the Hillary supporter as someone who doesn’t really want as much equality as they do.

“Like: ‘What do you mean why don’t you want free tuition for everyone? It’s not fair. Why don’t you want equal pay for everyone? Why don’t you want to tax the rich? What’s wrong with you?’ Like: you’re evil.”

I'm a bit surprised it's that bad even at Harvard.

Zona

So how exactly dose one get a job as a political pundit? It doesn't seem like what you write/say needs to have any actual connection to reality to be accepted. Looks like a gold mine to me.

Ugh. I'm in this yupie bar in LIC that my friend dragged me to because of a chick. Where are my dives?

Also trump sucks

I'm now wondering if I saw a Gaffer in the wild since I was also in a LIC yuppie bar for the same reason.

Guys now I'm just fantasizing about Ryan losing re-election.

The GOP is left without a leader. Remember that during the speaker fight, Ryan was seen as the only candidate for Speaker who could unite the Freedom Caucus with the establishment GOP. Clearly that honeymoon is over.

Say the Trumpocalypse happens - Hillary wins in a landslide election, Democrats pick up 8-10 seats in the Senate, but they come just shy of a House majority. Like Republicans have 220 seats to Democrats' 215, in spite of a wide majority in the generic ballot. Ryan is gone. Republicans have no other option. The Freedom Caucus is insistent that one of their own be made the new Speaker. The establishment, realizing that the jig is up, have no choice but to negotiate with Pelosi and the Democratic leadership to cobble together a majority of 218 votes for a new Speaker.

The Freedom Caucus revolts. No longer a wing of the GOP, they're now just their own party. Ted Cruz, Rand Paul and a few others follow suit in the Senate. A handful of the remaining Republicans actually switch parties to give the Democrats a nominal majority. The rest of the GOP is left to pick up the pieces, and moves to the center in order to reinvent themselves as a national party. Comprehensive immigration reform - passed, overwhelmingly, over the protests of the Freedom Party. The Equality Act too, after the Democrats throw in some bullshit, toothless "religious liberty" protections to win over any Republican fence-sitters. A comprehensive education legislative package, including free 2-year college, free pre-K and student loan reform is passed. Finally a new budget, which does away with the sequester cuts, includes plenty of funding for infrastructure jobs, much-needed renovations for schools and hospitals, and a significant minimum wage increase. President Clinton praises the return to regular order, and the older, rank-and-file Republicans are once again able to run on the jobs they've created for their districts. States continue to work on expanding PPACA - more states approve the Medicaid expansion, while some start setting up public options.

So where does that leave the Freedom Party? Luckily, their presence largely insulates Democrats from too much downballot trouble in 2018, as while they certainly lose some seats, the Republicans lose some as well to the Freedom Party, keeping Democrats in a plurality and leadership and - for the time being - breaking the gridlock that has dominated American politics for the past decade or so. President Clinton enjoys fairly universal approval and is widely regarded as the first post-partisan president.

Sorry, I just jizzed a little.

Bowdz

The GOP is left without a leader. Remember that during the speaker fight, Ryan was seen as the only candidate for Speaker who could unite the Freedom Caucus with the establishment GOP. Clearly that honeymoon is over.

Say the Trumpocalypse happens - Hillary wins in a landslide election, Democrats pick up 8-10 seats in the Senate, but they come just shy of a House majority. Like Republicans have 220 seats to Democrats' 215, in spite of a wide majority in the generic ballot. Ryan is gone. Republicans have no other option. The Freedom Caucus is insistent that one of their own be made the new Speaker. The establishment, realizing that the jig is up, have no choice but to negotiate with Pelosi and the Democratic leadership to cobble together a majority of 218 votes for a new Speaker.

The Freedom Caucus revolts. No longer a wing of the GOP, they're now just their own party. Ted Cruz, Rand Paul and a few others follow suit in the Senate. A handful of the remaining Republicans actually switch parties to give the Democrats a nominal majority. The rest of the GOP is left to pick up the pieces, and moves to the center in order to reinvent themselves as a national party. Comprehensive immigration reform - passed, overwhelmingly, over the protests of the Freedom Party. The Equality Act too, after the Democrats throw in some bullshit, toothless "religious liberty" protections to win over any Republican fence-sitters. A comprehensive education legislative package, including free 2-year college, free pre-K and student loan reform is passed. Finally a new budget, which does away with the sequester cuts, includes plenty of funding for infrastructure jobs, much-needed renovations for schools and hospitals, and a significant minimum wage increase. President Clinton praises the return to regular order, and the older, rank-and-file Republicans are once again able to run on the jobs they've created for their districts. States continue to work on expanding PPACA - more states approve the Medicaid expansion, while some start setting up public options.

So where does that leave the Freedom Party? Luckily, their presence largely insulates Democrats from too much downballot trouble in 2018, as while they certainly lose some seats, the Republicans lose some as well to the Freedom Party, keeping Democrats in a plurality and leadership and - for the time being - breaking the gridlock that has dominated American politics for the past decade or so. President Clinton enjoys fairly universal approval and is widely regarded as the first post-partisan president.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZCmPuPPlkg&t=0m15s

kess

GsK4moO.gif

He didn't even want this damn job.

OotJjCf7m7wUwIfAykO-CDa6RGc.gif
He wasn't even supposed to be here this year..

Stopmypeniscanonlygetsoerect.gif

Plumbob

I'm aware of the polling in West Virginia, i was just wondering why you were cheering the result.

It's my understanding that the red states don't count in a Democratic primary. Or does that only apply to the ones that Hillary wins?

To be fair is that an argument Daniel ever made?

Probably someone from the feedom caucus. :(

Hmm, I'm thinking Duncan Hunter can get the Freedom Caucus on board though.

In October 2013 Hunter was the only Representative from San Diego County to vote against the bill which ended the nation's 16-day partial government shutdown, explaining that he voted against it because it did not reduce spending or the national debt.[40]

On December 4, 2013, Hunter commented that if war with Iran becomes inevitable, which he "sure as hell" hoped wouldn't happen, the American response should be a "massive aerial bombing campaign" including "tactical nuclear devices".[41] He also said that the culture of Middle Easterners made them unreliable negotiating partners.[42]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_D._Hunter

120v

There is basically no chance Paul Ryan actually gets primaried right? Right?

it'd be a stretch. he's really loved in his district

but being speaker guarantees your popularity will tank. so who knows. at least his chances of being president (or being a nominee) are boned unless he maneuvers his way through clinton's term super carefully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom