• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm trying to figure out of Melkr is trying to make a joke, or was irrevocably broken by CNN and New York.

Iolo

How can people not remember that Hillary supporter from 2008. It was iconic.
At the time it was just further evidence that Hillary and her supporters were evil

Melkr_ you're almost through the stages of grief

Oh they have to momentarily leave office to get their speech money before they go right back into office? Thats just swell.

Statements like these are sketchy at best. What it ultimately ends up at is that you likely believe that people who want to work in the government should never have been part of a private industry, and that people in the government should basically permanently retire when they leave office. This is not feasible, nor should it be.

How can people not remember that Hillary supporter from 2008. It was iconic.
At the time it was just further evidence that Hillary and her supporters were evil

It's always hard to spot the crazy supporters of whoever is winning, because reality is closer to what they'd believe anyway. But we all remember Hillaryis44.org and rightly so. There were plenty of die hard Clinton supports that refused to accept the truth in 2008. I'm sure they're still out there. It's just much harder to pick them out than it is to spot the die hard crazies over on Sander's side.

johnsmith

remember me
What makes you say that? They mostly seem to have fallen in line. It's +2200 Karma and was stickied for a while.

When I was browsing through the thread it didn't seem like they were very happy. Not going to repeat their comments.

But you're right, a lot of comments of grudging acceptance.

Iolo

giphy.gif

Melkr_ coming over to our side

Trancos

I'll watch it when I get out of my class, though I suspect I've already seen this video. That being said, "simplifying the tax code" IS a soundbite.

Totally agree that 'simplify the tax code' is a populist soundbite more easily said than done.
But your argument was that the tax code was simple. You cannot have it both ways.

You have the IRS on record, on camera, saying that the tax code is too complicated. Saying word by word that they can't keep up with all the 579+ changes in a year, and have no idea how someone that doesn't work on that 24/5 keeps up.
Let me try to understand your point, Are you arguing that you know better than the IRS? Or that they didn't meant to say what they say on record, on camera?

Because if it is the former I don't think this is going anywhere, and if it is the latter you'll need to show me where they retract that statement on the record.

Hexa

When I was browsing through the thread it didn't seem like they were very happy. Not going to repeat their comments.

But you're right, a lot of comments of grudging acceptance.

Looking through the threads and the deleted comments, the vast majority of the response appears to be 'lol. Don't care'. This one made me chuckle:
aNiGls8.png

They were also pretty positive a couple weeks ago to a post about Trump changing the rules to allow a trans Miss Universe contestant to compete:
https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald...rump_once_changed_the_rules_to_miss_universe/

This is being added to the 538 article on tolerance as we speak.

"Trump says transgender people aren't rapists and should be able to use the bathroom and his fans respond by shrugging. ON THE OTHER HAND, Ted Cruz supports a group that destroys Native American artifacts and burns the Quran and Book of Mormon in an effort to cleanse the United States of non-Christian materials before they trigger the End Times and Hillary fans are outraged. We can clearly tell which group is more tolerant."

Trancos

The tax code IS simple. Or rather, it WAS simple.

Ok as I said on my previous post I personally draw the line when people on the internet try to reinterpret and explain what other people REALLY wanted to say even if there is nothing on record proving it. So I'll end it here......after saying that you keep saying it's simple but it's not, but it's simple, but really not.
Really sounds like a Quantum Tax code, or Schrödinger's tax returns. Always in an equilibrium of contradictory unknown states

pigeon

Banned
The tax code IS simple. Or rather, it WAS simple.

The complication comes from the 583727395 ways people have tried to take advantage of the original, existing "simple" law, resulting in 85829369302 fixes. The complication comes from the fact that the government uses the tax code to govern. There's a LOT of reasons behind the complication, not all of which can be solved with "oh we'll make the tax code simpler." The reason why we have exceptions to the exceptions is because someone, somewhere, managed to take a rule and use it in a way it was not meant to be used, which resulted in the government eventually figuring it out and trying to stop it by, surprise surprise, adding/modifying the code... making it more complicated.

The way the IRS says the tax code is too complicated is not the way most Americans, interpret that statement. I don't mind the statement from someone that can actually vocalize WHY the tax code is too complicated, but most people that say "simplify the tax code" have no fucking idea what they're talking about. Simplifying the tax code doesn't mean cut it down to 100 pages, it means that we have to change the role of taxes and change the way governments govern.

Another aspect of this is that, inasmuch as there's complexity in the tax code, it's for handling complex situations.

For all the complaining the average American might do about taxes, for the vast majority of people taxes are very simple. No kids, no house? Enter information from W2 on 1044, collect bacon. Even with kids and a house, there are only a few more steps in order to collect the large credits you're entitled to. That's a big part of why Warren's plan to have the IRS provide prefilled tax forms is a good one -- for most Americans, the IRS already knows what you owe and is just waiting for you to finish filing. So for the vast majority of Americans, any changes to the "complexity of the tax code" will have zero effect on what they do when they file their taxes.

If you happen to be a millionaire, setting up blind trusts and moving money between companies or whatever, then sure, your taxes will be quite complex, because you're engaged in a lengthy duel between the IRS attempting to make sure you pay your fair share and your accountants trying to make your income look as little like income as possible. But it is actually a good thing for taxation to be complicated in that situation because that complexity represents the IRS's ongoing effort to make sure people pay their taxes, while still maintaining the government interest in encouraging people to do useful things with their money. And, after all, it's not like those people can afford it.

Trancos

Another aspect of this is that, in asmuch as there's complexity in the tax code, it's for handling complex situations.

So for the vast majority of Americans, any changes to the "complexity of the tax code" will have zero effect on what they do when they file their taxes.

I know I said I was done LOL but that makes much more sense. And I have worked in some countries with pref-filled tax returns and it's a bless. Login, check it for a couple of minutes click submit. Done. Perfect.

Going back to the Hillary world domination Ted Cruz ad... If Hillary is sitting on a bunch of great opposition research on Trump then, uhh, why does Cruz just do his own opposition research?

He's said this point a lot and it feels like it's trying to provide a justification for why Trump will lose in the general without explaining to Republican voters that racism is unpopular (to not offend them), but it really makes no sense. If there's great shit on Trump be found, go find it, asshole.

User 406

Banned
I'm just gonna say it, you guys managed to bore even me with this tax discussion :p

Shit, it's better than the Who's On First semantic GMO labeling argument that was a fucking RERUN from an older PoliGAF thread.

And yeah, your income taxes only get more complex with more complex wealth, and it only really gets bad if you really give a shit about clinging to every last marginally less utilitarian dollar. This isn't an actual problem. The IRS auto-form confirmation thing would be sweet as hell though.

Oh, and melkr, I appreciated the joke. Although I think that was a rerun too, wasn't it? It's a better rerun.

If you count by square miles, Bernie won New York!
Ooh, now there's a new way of moving the goalposts I hadn't previously thought of! Geographical area won!

I seriously have no idea what that image is supposed to mean. We won! Except all the areas where the people are...?

Trancos

Ooh, now there's a new way of moving the goalposts I hadn't previously thought of! Geographical area won!

I seriously have no idea what that image is supposed to mean. We won! Except all the areas where the people are...?

I think it's very clear that people in the Bronx, Harlem, Queens, Brooklyn are part of the 1% and their vote don't count. If only they had voted for Bernie.

shem935

Banned

It's the "But the map is mostly green!" crap with a splash NY values as pigeon said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom