• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godslay

Banned
But shouldn't you be prepared in case it does?

Even if he wins 45% of the vote, which is a large chunk of the vote, that should tell the GOP they don't need to do anything different. I don't get the Hillary hate as well, but I don't think there is a population in this country that could elect Trump without a huge GOTV effort on Trump's side.

It could happen, it could not happen. I don't know, maybe it's like a 50/50 chance of it happening or not. People here shouldn't handwave it so much.

Is it always this way in here?

It will be a traditional election like 2012 with bigger margins and flipping of NC.

Republicans will consolidate around Trump, you have to remember they have spent 20 years hating on the Clintons.

Holmes

If we're going to asses the Dakotas, South Dakota is more likely to go Dem than North Dakota because the latter has a lot of oil and I believe South Dakota has a bigger Native population (still a pretty small share of the electorate though).

Drek

I mean... is it overcorrecting if a dude like Jon Stewart clearly seems to be voting for her only to vote against Trump? I see this more and more, even with some of my liberal friends.

Maybe my assumptions were just waay off before, but I don't really remember this much hate/meh toward hillary, especially given that she's running against fucking Trump.

Part of me does wonder if this will die down once Bernie's out of the picture, I'm guessing that it will.

Maybe *gasp* Jon Stewart has shitty opinions on politics because he's an ideologue himself, but an ideologue given a faux-soap box in the form of a comedy "news" show with little to no accountability, but that due to the depressing state of the real "news" broadcasts comes across seeming far more credible than he really is.

Nah, it's got to be a Hillary problem right? I mean, people wouldn't grind the axe against the most qualified woman to be POTUS in recent history just because of her gender, would they? Definitely not privileged middle aged white guys on the left especially.

I truly believe young people don't like Hillary. I didn't realize it was so prevalent until this election season, but it's there in my anecdotal experience.

That doesn't mean she won't beat Trump. But while people voted for Obama, I think the under 35 group is going to be voting against Trump rather than for Hillary.

No really, women are 51% of voters. This is going to be incredibly easy.

Liberals panic way too much.

You're overestimating this a bit. It's not like there aren't women who will ignore his sexism.

Like men, people have selfish reasons for voting. So many rich people will ignore his bigotry to ensure tax cuts. And many more examples.

Women aren't solely driven by one thing.

If we're going to asses the Dakotas, South Dakota is more likely to go Dem than North Dakota because the latter has a lot of oil and I believe South Dakota has a bigger Native population (still a pretty small share of the electorate though).

North Dakota is slightly more elastic, was closer in 2008, and Heitkamp (though South Dakota has elected is fair share of Democrats state wide. Oil will kill Hillary there, if not other things).

I truly believe young people don't like Hillary. I didn't realize it was so prevalent until this election season, but it's there in my anecdotal experience.

That doesn't mean she won't beat Trump. But while people voted for Obama, I think the under 35 group is going to be voting against Trump rather than for Hillary.

Agreed. This is my assessment as well.

PBY

Banned
Maybe *gasp* Jon Stewart has shitty opinions on politics because he's an ideologue himself, but an ideologue given a faux-soap box in the form of a comedy "news" show with little to no accountability, but that due to the depressing state of the real "news" broadcasts comes across seeming far more credible than he really is.

Nah, it's got to be a Hillary problem right? I mean, people wouldn't grind the axe against the most qualified woman to be POTUS in recent history just because of her gender, would they? Definitely not privileged middle aged white guys on the left especially.

I mean... it statistically is a Hillary problem. Her unfavorables are really fucking high.

I'm not blaming her for anything, I think she's exceptionally qualified (and really, don't buy any of the authenticity stuff, etc.). But people don't like her.

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel.

Hillary has been in the public eye too much. Every politician flips on policy to meet current public opinion, but Hillary's flips have been seen to everyone since she's been covered forever. Duckworth and Harris and CVH will be more popular in 2024 than Hillary is now.

It's funny, for all the talk about Hillary being wooden or awkward, she IMO has actually looked the most comfortable and genuine being around people away from the podium. Moreso than any other person running in the primaries on either side at least.

Hillary has been in the public eye too much. Every politician flips on policy to meet current public opinion, but Hillary's flips have been seen to everyone since she's been covered forever. Duckworth and Harris and CVH will be more popular in 2024 than Hillary is now.

There's probably some truth to this.

But to those of us who were old enough in the mid to late 90s to pay attention to politics, Hillary has been called a bitch more times than I can ever recall.

IMO, something about her always drove people to dislike her unlike her husband. I remember in the mid 2000s coming across lots of women who called her a bitch.

I've never understood it and obviously never agreed, but this sentiment isn't new. And with the young people there's also Clinton fatigue and years of being bashed.

Armaros

But to those of us who were old enough in the mid to late 90s to pay attention to politics, Hillary has been called a bitch more times than I can ever recall.

IMO, something about her always drove people to dislike her unlike her husband. I remember in the mid 2000s coming across lots of women who called her a bitch.

I've never understood it and obviously never agreed, but this sentiment isn't new. And with the young people there's also Clinton fatigue and years of being bashed.

She has been attacked ever since she showed she wasn't going to be the background, meek First Lady. And this was the 90s, so you can imagine how the media and Republicans reacted.

I also think it's quite likely that Democrats get absolutely destroyed in 2020. I'd rather win the presidency for 4 years with all of its powers and judges, but I think there are going to be so many forces of nature working against Hillary, and the fact that her favorables are already in the toilet and probably won't increase that much once she wins, that someone else could come in with a slightly-more-competent Republican party to trounce her.

She has always been well-liked when she isn't running for office. Her favorabilities as SoS were pretty high.

Godslay

Banned
North Dakota is slightly more elastic, was closer in 2008, and Heitkamp (though South Dakota has elected is fair share of Democrats state wide. Oil will kill Hillary there, if not other things).

Agreed. This is my assessment as well.

Heitkamp won because Rick Berg was a terrible candidate that nobody liked. She's also relatively well liked and respected as a North Dakotan. Part of her campaign was the idea that she would go against Obama if necessary. She's more on the conservative side of being a Democrat I would wager.

There is a democratic backbone that ties back to Art Link, but if you think Hillary can flip ND, that's a fairy tale. It's not that strong.

Right now, there are only two real candidates for Gov. Stenjem and Burgum. Guess what, they are both Reps. Who's the Democratic candidate? Is there one? Doesn't seem that way.

I also think it's quite likely that Democrats get absolutely destroyed in 2020. I'd rather win the presidency for 4 years with all of its powers and judges, but I think there are going to be so many forces of nature working against Hillary, and the fact that her favorables are already in the toilet and probably won't increase that much once she wins, that someone else could come in with a slightly-more-competent Republican party to trounce her.

Heitkamp won because Rick Berg was a terrible candidate that nobody liked. She's also relatively well liked and respected as a North Dakotan. Part of her campaign was the idea that she would go against Obama if necessary. She's more on the conservative side of being a Democrat I would wager.

There is a democratic backbone that ties back to Art Link, but if you think Hillary can flip ND, that's a fairy tale. It's not that strong.

Right now, there are only two real candidates for Gov. Stenjem and Burgum. Guess what, they are both Reps. Who's the Democratic candidate? Is there one? Doesn't seem that way.

Well, yes, Heitkamp ran a great campaign, but the whole point of elasticity is that events like this can happen. I'm not saying that she can win, just that I think that North Dakota would flip before South Dakota.

Effect

I never understood it either and if you asked them directly to explain they largely can't. Or if they come up with some canned response and you ask them for examples of things they couldn't produce them. The idea that their dislike or hate was based on nothing factual or even anything seemed to go over the heads of some of them.

ampere

Hillary is going to win by 15-20 points.

Trump thinks women are sex objects and has said so for the last 25 years. Women are 51% of voters.

I think we might have a bigger margin than Obama in 08, but maybe 10 points. I think a lot of conservatives, women included, will vote for him anyway.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
No really, women are 51% of voters. This is going to be incredibly easy.

Liberals panic way too much.

Yeah, it's not even "dog whistle" sexism, it's straight up obvious sexism. It's amazing he won the primary for that reason alone.

Yoda

You're really reaching, she'd have record unfavorables entering the GE if it weren't for Donald Trump. The electorate (on both sides) despise the establishment, HRC is the establishment. Stagnant wages + increasing cost of living + income inequality + student loans + (insert endemic decade(s) long middle class problem here) have beaten the trust out the American electorate. HRC speaks in ways that are clearly poll-tested/advisor driven; if she's afraid of speaking her mind, what is it exactly that the public is too stupid to understand so they need to be read script?

Also driving the narrative of the "privileged middle class white dudes" being bigoted because they don't agree with Sec. Clinton on every single issue is toxic and quite frankly goes against the liberal orthodoxy of inclusiveness. Shutting down debate with identity politics is what the right has done for decades, we really ought hold ourselves to a higher standard.

I never understood it either and if you asked them directly to explain they largely can't. Or if they come up with some canned response and you ask them for examples of things they couldn't produce them. The idea that their dislike or hate was based on nothing factual or even anything seemed to go over the heads of some of them.

Among young people, I think it's mostly just fatigue. Sick of hearing about the Clintons, Bushes, etc. Also the revisionism of the Clinton Presidency as if context didn't matter.

For those around at that time, I think a lot of it is pure sexism. Even sexism from women. Strong female women in the 90s had it even tougher than today. And that sentiment carried over for those people.

It's gross, but any career driven women back then (shit, even now still it often happens) was thought of as nothing but a bitch.

Bringing this over from the Simpsons gif thread for all the Bernie stans.

385135.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's not true that the electorate on both sides despises the establishment. On the republican side yeah. The democratic side is not the same and explains why Hillary is the nominee.

Godslay

Banned
Well, yes, Heitkamp ran a great campaign, but the whole point of elasticity is that events like this can happen. I'm not saying that she can win, just that I think that North Dakota would flip before South Dakota.

It won't. It's not that elastic. Not for the President anyways.

More localized elections? Sure.

All three (MT, ND, SD) will probably be red for quite some time.

I think it only happens when you try to say that Hillary has a 50/50 shot of getting indicted in the face of any evidence to such an indictment is coming, but I'm not entirely sure.

It's anybody's guess. There's plenty of evidence out there that the law was broken. It's just a matter of if the FBI finds that to be true, and recommends the indictment. It's not as simple as nothing happened.

Like the former NSA/CIA director said at Tech Crunch, the Original Sin was building the server in the first place.

So the blatant racism of Donald Trump's butler...holy crap

I cannot fathom how somebody lives their life with so much hate. It must be real tiring to be part of a generation (and ideology) that is fading into obscurity.

I do like the fact that Mother Jones screenshoted all those hellaciously racist (and threatening) Facebook posts- many old white people are going to be visited by the Secret Service :)

It won't. It's not that elastic. Not for the President anyways.

More localized elections? Sure.

All three (MT, ND, SD) will probably be red for quite some time.

Again, let me say it one more time: I don't think Hillary will win North Dakota, but I'm explaining why I think if a state were to flip blue, North Dakota would likely flip before South Dakota.

It's anybody's guess. There's plenty of evidence out there that the law was broken. It's just a matter of if the FBI finds that to be true, and recommends the indictment. It's not as simple as nothing happened.

Like the former NSA/CIA director said at Tech Crunch, the Original Sin was building the server in the first place.

There is more evidence recently that the FBI is winding down their investigation and they've found nothing to indict, because that has been what they have leaked to the press.

It actually is pretty simple.

Jesus christ, just vote for the dude that thinks mexicans and muslims are rapists and terrorists already.
Almost spat out my coffee.

Also, there's nothing particularly meaningful in Stewart's comment. She isn't as warm in a public setting as some people are and she's guarded about what she says and does. She is a nerd.

This also goes back a bit to what I have mentioned before about women and leadership, gendered trait expectations and favourability. Doing things that all politicians do. Not doing things we expect women to do.

I'd imagine if you were to classify his view on Clinton as favourable or unfavourable it would fall in the unfavourable.

"Authenticity" is the most bullshit descriptive ever. And the stupidest way of trying to judge other people.

I can't prove that something won't happen until it definitively doesn't happen, but if you're waiting for an indictment, it's most likely you'll be waiting for a very long time. Until they find Vince Foster's body.

Godslay

Banned
Here we go again

We can't talk about this? Is it not topical? What's the problem?

Again, let me say it one more time: I don't think Hillary will win North Dakota, but I'm explaining why I think if a state were to flip blue, North Dakota would likely flip before South Dakota.

There is more evidence recently that the FBI is winding down their investigation and they've found nothing to indict, because that has been what they have leaked to the press.

It actually is pretty simple.

Fair enough, it's about the same as saying I'd think Trump can win NY before he wins California. It's futile.

As far as the Clinton illegal server, the FBI isn't going to show their hand that easily on an investigation of this sort.

Almost spat out my coffee.

Also, there's nothing particularly meaningful in Stewart's comment. She isn't as warm in a public setting as some people are and she's guarded about what she says and does. She is a nerd.

This also goes back a bit to what I have mentioned before about women and leadership, gendered trait expectations and favourability. Doing things that all politicians do.

I'd imagine if you were to classify his view on Clinton as favourable or unfavourable it would fall in the unfavourable.

"Authenticity" is the most bullshit descriptive ever. And the stupidest way of trying to judge other people.
Yup.

People are just mad that Hillary isn't just smiles and rainbows like other female politicians. That's what we've come to expect of women in politics. Men are absolutely not held to this standard. It's ironic that this comes from Stewart who spent 2004 palling around with Kerry and supporting him heavily when he's one of the most boring personalities in politics.

We can run in circles all you want, but there doesn't seem to be anything that will convince you that there is no indictment coming despite all appearances that it's fucking nothing and there is no grounds for indictment.

Everything is possible, because we live in the matrix.

ampere

You're doing the same thing you did when we suggested the Pats might lose to the Broncos. Everyone else is dumb and you don't consider what they have to say remotely valid

Makes it really hard to have a conversation of any value

Fair enough, it's about the same as saying I'd think Trump can win NY before he wins California. It's futile.

As far as the Clinton illegal server, the FBI isn't going to show their hand that easily on an investigation of this sort.

I'm sort of done with this conversation because it's pointless, but this points to me that they've found nothing and it will be nothing.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/05/politics/fbi-interviews-huma-abedin-clinton-aide/

(CNN)Some of Hillary Clinton's closest aides, including her longtime adviser Huma Abedin, have provided interviews to federal investigators, as the FBI probe into the security of her private email server nears completion, U.S. officials briefed on the investigation tell CNN. The investigation is still ongoing, but so far investigators haven't found evidence to prove that Clinton willfully violated the law the U.S. officials say.

In recent weeks, multiple aides have been interviewed -- some more than once, the officials said. A date for an FBI interview of Clinton has not been set, these officials said, but is expected in the coming weeks. Abedin has cooperated with the probe, the officials said. Lawyers for Abedin declined to comment. The officials say the interviews of Clinton and her aides would be a routine part of an investigation like this.

Again, because nothing has happened yet, I can't concretely say one way or another. And you can say "they wouldn't show their hands!", but I don't think that's correct.

Godslay

Banned
We can run in circles all you want, but there doesn't seem to be anything that will convince you that there is no indictment coming despite all appearances that it's fucking nothing and there is no grounds for indictment.

Everything is possible, because we live in the matrix.

I won't be convinced that there isn't an indictment coming until the FBI doesn't proceed with a recommendation to indict.

I give equal ground to the idea that an indictment won't happen.

Just by the fact that she's being investigated by the FBI tells me that the possibility is there, and there is evidence out there that could lead to an indictment.

I don't get why you all so easily brush that aside?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I won't be convinced that there isn't an indictment coming until the FBI doesn't proceed with a recommendation to indict.

I give equal ground to the idea that an indictment won't happen.

Just by the fact that she's being investigated by the FBI tells me that the possibility is there, and there is evidence out there that could lead to an indictment.

I don't get why you all so easily brush that aside?

And hypothetically if the FBI comes out and officially says that there was no evidence of wrongdoing, what will be your response?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

It's less that its a banned topic and more that you keep professing to know more than every source at the the FBI and every single journalist and legal commentator we've seen.

Godslay

Banned
I'm not going down your rabbithole. I'm just pointing out why nobody else wants to either.

My wonderland is better. It's full of fabulous.

Your rabbit hole seems more like head in the sand.

And hypothetically if the FBI comes out and officially says that there was no evidence of wrongdoing, what will be your response?

I would be fine with that conclusion.

It's less that its a banned topic and more that you keep professing to know more than every source at the the FBI and every single journalist and legal commentator we've seen.

I don't profess to know more than the FBI. Searching around though, it's not as simple as "It's nothing!"

And someone could say yours would be grasping at straws.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Your rabbit hole seems more like head in the sand.

I would be fine with that conclusion.

I don't profess to know more than the FBI. Searching around though, it's not as simple as "It's nothing!"

Oh okay, we should definitely treat it as 50-50 because you searched around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom