• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
RCP margin at this point in 2012: Obama +3.3
final margin: Obama +3.9

April 22, 2008: Obama +1.2
November: Obama +7.3

April 22, 2004: Bush +2.1
November: Bush +2.4

interesting on two out of three counts

2008's difference was probably a combination of the recession + Clinton voters coming home

ACORN
ACORN
ACORN

studyguy

Told you guys we were Trump country. Not a weekend goes by when I don't hear some old man talking him up on the pier when I head out there for breakfast with my girl or on my day to day with clients.

Got asked point blank by one client today though why I wouldn't vote for him.
Had to excuse myself real quick.
giphy.gif

RCP margin at this point in 2012: Obama +3.3
final margin: Obama +3.9

April 22, 2008: Obama +1.2
November: Obama +7.3

April 22, 2004: Bush +2.1
November: Bush +2.4

interesting on two out of three counts

2008's difference was probably a combination of the recession + Clinton voters coming home
Yeah as soon as the recession hit in 08 Obama really started to run away with it.

Btw Clinton's current lead on RCP over Trump is +9.3 for anyone wondering.

HylianTom

Banned
Where is Trump getting the Demographics to close the gap?

It woudn't surprise me if it tightens from 9% as more right-of-center voters come home. Seeing more of Hillary and becoming growingly desperate to stop her, especially with SCOTUS essentially on the ballot, could do the trick. Not all of them will close ranks, but enough to bring that number down a few notches.

But he won't close the gap, no way. He'll be getting killed among most other demographics, such that political enthusiasts will know how the electoral math will fall while the general public is subjected to the usual horserace coverage.

Big city GAF, do you guys tip Uber drivers? As in handing them cash outside of the Uber app? That Uber thread in the OT is blowing my mind right now.

Ophelion

Big city GAF, do you guys tip Uber drivers? As in handing them cash outside of the Uber app? That Uber thread in the OT is blowing my mind right now.

Nah, I'll tip in-app, but I don't carry physical money on myself and I haven't for years. My phone is old and trashy too. The only thing in the bag I carry with me everywhere is a book, a bottle of tums and an umbrella. Mugging me would be such a disappointment.

Edit: actually, can you tip in-app? If so, I do. If not, I guess I don't tip at all.

Wilsongt

On the topic of the lottery, I really like this SMBC comic:

My college education was paid for by the Georgia lottery, which is funded by poor people! It's kinda nuts.

Yeah, pretty dumb. Especially when you realIze that hardly any money from the education lottery actually goes to education.

saltypickles

Neo Member
I'm a registered Democrat in California. Is it possible for me to vote for Trump in the primary for maximum fuckery?

As an aside the pundit class is seeing through Paul Ryan's bullshit:

The difference between Boehner’s and Ryan’s approaches boils down to one key thing. By the end, Boehner had come to hate the House Freedom Caucus, the far-right cabal that brought on his ouster through its relentless opposition to compromise. But Ryan merely fears the Freedom Caucusers, unwilling to cross them by championing legislation they don’t like. And with the extreme right flank having an effective veto on the process, nothing of consequence can move.

The Freedom Caucus is full of complete morons, example #10238909853:
Ryan initially promised to act on Puerto Rico by the end of March. Days before the deadline, the House Natural Resources Committee had only come up with a discussion draft—not even a bill, but the starting point for one—which Ryan called “thoughtful” and “comprehensive.” In reality, it would have turned Puerto Rico into a colony for the benefit of its creditors, but even that wasn’t enough for the Freedom Caucus, which screamed about a bailout (even though no taxpayer money would be on the line). These internal frictions meant that Republicans couldn’t get the bill out of the Natural Resources Committee.

And another one:
Meanwhile, it’s possible that the House will get around to voting on bills to deal with the opioid epidemic, but it’s been more than a month since the Senate passed a similar package 94-1, and the House is only now turning to it. And since the bill includes grant programs for state and local governments, and the Freedom Caucus won’t tolerate additional funding for anything, the ultimate path forward is murky.

I'm a registered Democrat in California. Is it possible for me to vote for Trump in the primary for maximum fuckery?

As an aside the pundit class is seeing through Paul Ryan's bullshit:

The Freedom Caucus is full of complete morons, example #10238909853:

And another one:
You know it would be one thing if like, Hillary came into office with a Dem Senate and a tight GOP House majority with a Tip O'Neill-esque leader who's willing to work with the president to get things done. It wouldn't be a liberal utopia and there would certainly be some stuff we wouldn't like, but I could imagine some decent legislation coming out of such an arrangement like immigration reform or infrastructure spending.

It's probably too much to ask for but I really hope Democrats could just take back the House in November because everyone in the House GOP is either an incompetent asshole, an ideological moron or some ugly blend of the two. Every once in a while you'll get someone like Charlie Dent or Peter King who tries to be moderate and reasonable, but then you realize their idea of "moderate and reasonable" is fucking Paul Ryan and it falls apart. The House leadership under Boehner was such an unmitigated disaster and I'm legitimately surprised that it's actually gotten worse, especially under someone like Ryan who was supposed to be the brains of the party.

Like even if Hillary and Ryan were to come to some budget agreement that cut entitlements or something, I'm pretty confident it would never pass because the Freedom Caucus would blow it up by attaching some absurd stipulation like needing to repeal Obamacare or nuke Planned Parenthood from existence before they'd give it the okay. That's exactly what happened in 2011 and they clearly haven't gotten any more intelligent in the intervening five years. Let the fucking grown-ups run the country and put the knuckle draggers in the peanut gallery where they belong. They can shout at the president and call them a liar during a fucking presidential address as much as they want as long as they're kept as far away from any power or responsibility as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom