• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Okay, because of the nature of the primaries, I think most of us are highly focused on this process specifically and staking sides. But speaking more broadly, what are the most important issues for PoliGAF this election cycle? What do we actually want accomplished?
Biggest issues for me:
Campaign finance reform
Securing trans rights
Taking back the Supreme Court
Bigger focus on renewable energy/setting up more protection for the environment

pigeon

Banned
Okay, because of the nature of the primaries, I think most of us are highly focused on this process specifically and staking sides. But speaking more broadly, what are the most important issues for PoliGAF this election cycle? What do we actually want accomplished?

Intersectionality
* Police reform. Body cameras for all. Start prosecuting at the DoJ level for civil rights if state governments don't do it.
* Trans rights. Need full coverage at the same level as race/sex/orientation.
* Marijuana decriminalization would be nice. (This disproportionately jails black men.)
* Federal paid family leave.
* Generally just keep fighting and being ready to fight as new issues arise.

Welfare
* Build on Obamacare. Public option would be a good idea and there's a reasonable argument for it since there are states having trouble populating their markets. Also would like further Medicare/Medicaid expansion.
* Social Security tax increase of some sort.
* Targeted subsidies for Appalachia and other places where manual laborers have been displaced by free trade. Need to use the surplus we get from free trade to protect the workers that get affected by it. Starting point for an eventual basic income program or other kind of general displacement coverage program.
* Start thinking about cell phone coverage and broadband internet as utilities and begin moving in that direction on a regulatory level.

Politics
* Mandatory early voting and banning voter ID. Probably need SCOTUS action but I would like to start identifying and laying the groundwork for this.
* Improved federal funds for election candidates. We can't lower the ceiling yet but we should try to raise the floor.
* Improved funding for Congressional staff so that they are less dependent on lobbyists.
* Personally I'd really like them to pass the McConnell Rule for the debt ceiling (debt ceiling raises automatically but Congress can pass a vetoable resolution to prevent it from being raised, rather than the other way around). Would stop a lot of dumb conversations.

Foreign Policy
* Don't do stupid shit. Don't fuck up the Iran deal, don't offend anybody, don't invade any countries.
* More diplomatic isolation of Israel.
* Continued investment in the sphere of influence conflict with China in SE Asia. But in a nice way.
* Probably cut back on the whole drone striking everybody in Africa thing a little.

Other Stuff Democrats Care About That I Am Personally Less Invested In But Sure, Whatever
* Would be nice to get some small gun control steps. There are a few things that most NRA members agree with, we should do those things. I forget what they are right now.
* Don't cut all of NASA's funding.
* Maybe spy on people's emails less. Hillary should be sympathetic to this by now.

Part of me really, really wants Clinton to pick a female VP. It's hard enough for some people to avoid making sexist charges already. Imagine a two woman ticket. I don't think they'd be able to stop themselves.

"She picked a woman!? That's crazy! We can't have a two woman ticket!"
"What's wrong with two women?"
"...uh, look. Don't get me wrong here. I'm not a sexist! It's just that..."

It would be delicious.

Part of me really, really wants Clinton to pick a female VP. It's hard enough for some people to avoid making sexist charges already. Imagine a two woman ticket. I don't think they'd be able to stop themselves.

It would be delicious.

Dude you never go two chicks at the same time!

Teggy

This article from the Hill is trending on Facebook regarding how Bernie won the large majority of counties in NY. Which means absolutely nothing, but oh boy are people eating it up.

Armaros

This article from the Hill is trending on Facebook regarding how Bernie won the large majority of counties in NY. Which means absolutely nothing, but oh boy are people eating it up.

Ah the classic 'GOP wins upstate NY so why is NY so blue?' But in Bernie form.

"Romney won 77.7% of US counties!"

2000px-2012_Presidential_Election_by_County.svg.png

So when/if Hillary wins, and if the Senate stays barely GOP, do they flatly refuse to confirm her nominee, or do they try and rush Garland through in the lame duck? I have a feeling GOP Senators like Lindsey Graham wouldn't allow that (the lame duck confirmation).

User 406

Banned
Tubman replacing Jackson is perfect, good work.

Fuck yeah. Eat it, Jackson!

Welp, posting after pigeon, so he's covered most of my bases. I would add:

Real steps towards fixing redlining and improving neighborhood integration
- as part of this effort, decoupling public school funding from local property taxes
Minimum wage increases
Higher education debt forgiveness and cost controls
End welfare/unemployment benefit time limits
Bolster organized labor, overturn right-to-work laws
Allow CDC to study gun violence
SUPREME COURT SUPREME COURT SUPREME COURT SUPREME COURT

It would be delicious.

I really like this idea.

HylianTom

Banned

If the House goes Dem, I want major energy policy changes. We needed to start getting off of fossil fuels decades ago, and it's going to bite us in the ass. The three-headed hydra of energy/resources/environment is going to be one of the big stories for humanity this century, and I'm a pretty big pessimist on this point.

If the House stays GOP, this is mainly an election for who gets to replace Ginsburg, Breyer, and maybe if we're lucky Kennedy.

I woke up with the wake up morning music from Chroni Trigger playing in my head. Now I'm sitting in business class quiet on an Acela, an overpriced "fast train" to Philthydelphia, while shushing loud youth and pointing to the quiet sign. Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day. I've got this wonderful feeling, everything's going my way.

*reads latest round of Hillary indictment stories*

Philadelphia! I live there. Why are you coming

Farmboy

I wonder if this is something we might see out of delegates nationwide as they become unbound if there's a contested convention. Maybe Trump can find a majority with a coalition of trump supporters and delegates that just want to represent the will of the voters.

Been wondering the same thing. But his best bet is making this argument to unbound delegates on the first ballot. The second is where pretty much all delegates become unbound. And because of Cruz' maneuvering at the local conventions where delegates were selected, many who are bound to Trump on the first ballot are actually Cruz supporters, who probably won't be persuaded by will-of-the-people talk.

Here's how Hillary did in NYC:
Staten Island +6
Brooklyn +20
Queens +23
Manhattan +33
Bronx +40

I really didn't expect the +20 in Brooklyn because it seemed like Bernie was pandering pretty hard there.
Lol it's like Brooklyn is more than Williamsburg and Rich people's brownstones.

That damn Andrea Mitchell lied to me!!!
Did you see Tad on there? He was talking about how the Clinton campaign needed to tone down their negativity and mentioned this ad. This doesn't even talk about Bernie.
Lol it's like Brooklyn is more than Williamsburg and Rich people's brownstones.
Hey man, I'm just a low info minority voter in the south. I don't keep up with hippy dippy gentrifiers up yonder.

Trouble

Banned
Yeah, he did well in the Hispanic portion of Brooklyn too. I still can't believe he got murdered in the Bronx with them making a big deal of that first rally. Then again, Hillary has a lot of local support and knows the area so she knew where to go to get her votes.

I think, much like in the south, the effect of Hillary having an on-the-ground presence for years beforehand really can't be countered by any amount of money or effort. There are a lot of voters who were never going to even consider voting for anyone else.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I know he said he wouldn't do so, but my biggest fear at this point is Bernie deciding to run as an independent. Would likely give the Presidency to Trump I think. DX

Does anyone think he would do so?

Armaros

I think, much like in the south, the effect of Hillary having an on-the-ground presence for years beforehand really can't be countered by any amount of money or effort. There are a lot of voters who were never going to even consider voting for anyone else.

And the way she had personal stories of individuals during her speech exemplified that. She got down into the trenches and met people and learnt their stories. That resonated with people much more then just a stump speech.

I know he said he wouldn't do so, but my biggest fear at this point is Bernie deciding to run as an independent. Would likely give the Presidency to Trump I think. DX

Not at all. He's already said, multiple times, he wouldn't, and will fully support Hillary.

He's not an idiot.

ApharmdX

Banned

No, he's a liberal and would rather have his goals delayed than have them set back. No chance Bernie runs independent.

ApharmdX

Banned
Okay, thanks. I dunno why I've just been nervous since this election season has been... weird to say the least.

You've just forgotten or were too young for 2008. That was more contentious. This is normal debate. It's gotten a little ugly at points but fundamentally this is about ideas.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
You've just forgotten or were too young for 2008. That was more contentious. This is normal debate. It's gotten a little ugly at points but fundamentally this is about ideas.

I think the difference is in 2008 I wasn't on social media. Probably why this one "feels" uglier.

Brinbe

I don't think there's much point to worrying about Bernie or his supporters anymore and I don't mean that as a slight against them. It's just that there's bigger things to worry about now that the nomination is clinched (y'know, like the actual opposition). Much of the reasonable Sanders supporters will come around, and if they don't, there's no point in bending over backwards for those few who are in too deep. Obama won just fine despite the PUMAs and HRC will do the same this year.

And looking at things right now, this race is increasingly looking favorable regardless of the Dems' opponent. Now that Cruz got demolished in NY and can't possibly claim a delegate advantage, he's basically hoping that he'll steal the nomination on a 2nd ballot. And that result would infuriate the GOP base that did support Trump and he'd be a weak candidate in the general regardless.

Even if Trump does clinch the nod, he's doing so in a highly weakened state with historical unfavorables and also a sizeable portion of the #nevertrump coalition dead set against him.

I don't know, from my POV, if you ignore the Bernie tantrums (which the Clinton team can kinda afford to do now, especially after next Tuesday) this is looking extremely good for the Dems. Not to say that the hard work isn't left to be done and nothing should be taken for granted. But the time for internal party angst and worrying about TYT and reddit is over. They're meaningless now.

I don't think there's much point to worrying about Bernie or his supporters anymore and I don't mean that as a slight against them. It's just that there's bigger things to worry about now that the nomination is clinched (y'know, like the actual opposition). Much of the reasonable Sanders supporters will come around, and if they don't, there's no point in bending over backwards for those few who are in too deep. Obama won just fine despite the PUMAs and HRC will do the same this year.

And looking at things right now, this race is increasingly looking favorable regardless of the Dems' opponent. Now that Cruz got demolished in NY and can't possibly claim a delegate advantage, he's basically hoping that he'll steal the nomination on a 2nd ballot. And that result would infuriate the GOP base that did support Trump and he'd be a weak candidate in the general regardless.

Even if Trump does clinch the nod, he's doing so in a highly weakened state with historical unfavorables and also a sizeable portion of the #nevertrump coalition dead set against him.

I don't know, from my POV, if you ignore the Bernie tantrums (which the Clinton team can kinda afford to do now, especially after next Tuesday) this is looking extremely good for the Dems. Not to say that the hard work isn't left to be done and nothing should be taken for granted. But the time for internal party angst and worrying about TYT and reddit is over. They're meaningless now.

One of the most important things is that Clinton never really had to attack Bernie on anything. I dont know why people think Clinton ran a more "unfair" campaign, other than the most recent New York article and the last debate she has basically been amazingly nice to Sanders because she knows there is zero reason to go real negative.

It's funny to see Rubio syndrome infecting Bernie supporters and surrogates. Loss's are wins and wins are undeniable proof that Hillary is done!

Pigeon basically nailed it for me. I'd add some serious immigration reform. It's pretty clear they have a net positive effect on the country, so we should be doing more to guarantee that we aren't booting people out.

Any reason why it's taking so long? Till 2030?

That's when the $20 is up for a rework.

ampere

Intersectionality
* Police reform. Body cameras for all. Start prosecuting at the DoJ level for civil rights if state governments don't do it.
* Trans rights. Need full coverage at the same level as race/sex/orientation.
* Marijuana decriminalization would be nice. (This disproportionately jails black men.)
* Federal paid family leave.
* Generally just keep fighting and being ready to fight as new issues arise.

Welfare
* Build on Obamacare. Public option would be a good idea and there's a reasonable argument for it since there are states having trouble populating their markets. Also would like further Medicare/Medicaid expansion.
* Social Security tax increase of some sort.
* Targeted subsidies for Appalachia and other places where manual laborers have been displaced by free trade. Need to use the surplus we get from free trade to protect the workers that get affected by it. Starting point for an eventual basic income program or other kind of general displacement coverage program.
* Start thinking about cell phone coverage and broadband internet as utilities and begin moving in that direction on a regulatory level.

Politics
* Mandatory early voting and banning voter ID. Probably need SCOTUS action but I would like to start identifying and laying the groundwork for this.
* Improved federal funds for election candidates. We can't lower the ceiling yet but we should try to raise the floor.
* Improved funding for Congressional staff so that they are less dependent on lobbyists.
* Personally I'd really like them to pass the McConnell Rule for the debt ceiling (debt ceiling raises automatically but Congress can pass a vetoable resolution to prevent it from being raised, rather than the other way around). Would stop a lot of dumb conversations.

Foreign Policy
* Don't do stupid shit. Don't fuck up the Iran deal, don't offend anybody, don't invade any countries.
* More diplomatic isolation of Israel.
* Continued investment in the sphere of influence conflict with China in SE Asia. But in a nice way.
* Probably cut back on the whole drone striking everybody in Africa thing a little.

Other Stuff Democrats Care About That I Am Personally Less Invested In But Sure, Whatever
* Would be nice to get some small gun control steps. There are a few things that most NRA members agree with, we should do those things. I forget what they are right now.
* Don't cut all of NASA's funding.
* Maybe spy on people's emails less. Hillary should be sympathetic to this by now.

Agree with a lot of this, but I would put NASA funding a bit higher than you have. Exploration has a lot of value, and as does the research that comes with it. Not sure humanity will solve Earth's problems to keep us around long enough to actually inhabit another planet, but it's good to plan for it in case it does happen.

Most of what you said is probably on the table for a "third term Obama" that Hillary will hopefully/likely be, but foreign policy is up in the air. No idea what she'll really do there and I just hope it's erring on the side of less conflict. She hasn't seemed dedicated to taking big steps with marijuana, knocking it down a schedule isn't really enough. Hope to see her "evolve" on that issue like Obama on gay marriage. Would go a long way to cleaning out non-violent offenders from our prisons.

NASA is definitely one of those pet issues of mine. I love NASA and want all of their projects to be well funded. Despite that, I doubt I could really offer anything close to a compelling defense of that idea. In fact, I bet that were it anything else, I would be opposed to increasing funding. I just love space so much that I want it funded. It's like it's a blindspot, and I can see its a blindspot, but I just keep believing the same thing.

this is looking extremely good for the Dems.
No it's not.

The Democrat party is fiercely and overwhelmingly divided on globalization, free trade, American exceptionalism, and Wall Street. Despite Clinton having a clear majority of votes, most people do not agree with her positions on those matters (I had numbers. I am too busy now and cannot source this claim but upon reminder I will when I return from $DAYJOB. The exit polls about whether or not Wall St. is good from NY is sufficient evidence, though.). The neoliberal agenda, which is still the agenda of the future, will always face opposition from some of the most important people in the base: the white liberals, the youngest generation (which despite low turnout has always been a healthy addition to the party), and centrists who lean toward protectionism.

Just because the "Dems" win does not mean that the word will be as meaningful as it has been, in the same way that just because we had a Supermajority trifecta democratic government in 2008 did not mean we would ever see government provided general health insurance for everyone. Or breaking up the big banks.

So as the Democratic Party moves forward, it has to deal with the contentious issue of how to prepare the country for the 21st Century (because that is what the Democratic Party has almost always been: the informed party of the future) while fighting off the people that elected them in the first place.

And in that, who knows how they'll succeed? In 2012 Obama ran for re-election with no opposition. I claim that it is possible that people would try to primary Hillary Clinton again in 2020.

CIH4Uld.jpg

This book is filled with a lot of caveats about the United States having to do this-or-that thing to stay relevant. And Fareed is optimistic.

Do not be optimistic. America would not be the first country in history to fall from greatness.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Governor Pence of Indiana is meeting with Cruz tomorrow and Kasich next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom