• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holmes

Very good answer from Clinton on how she wants more Democrats to vote in midterms to end Republican control in the states so no more anti-choice, anti-LGBT laws, and how the Democratic party now seems more focused on Presidential campaigns than downballot races.

e: wtf this is the same guy from the Good Morning America town hall and he's asking the same question on the 1994 crime bill.

Hillary is a flip-flopping shill! All she does is piggyback on Bernie's popularity for political gain!

(Hillary says she won't adopt Bernie's platform as a GE candidate)

Hillary isn't doing anything to reach out to Bernie supporters! Burn the witch!

ivysaur12

Banned
Happy Super Duper Tuesday, east coast!

A reminder that all polls close tomorrow at 8PM EST. I imagine that MD, DE, and probably PA will get called very soon, if not right away (especially for MD). CT and RI will be much longer, but iirc, RI counts very fast.

I imagine on the Republican side every race will get called for Trump at 8PM EST.

A reminder that all polls close tomorrow at 8PM EST. I imagine that MD, DE, and probably PA will get called very soon, if not right away (especially for MD). CT and RI will be much longer, but iirc, RI counts very fast.

I imagine on the Republican side every race will get called for Trump at 8PM EST.
They don't even do ballots in RI, they just go door to door.

Takes like fifteen minutes

Holmes

I believe Delaware and Rhode Island will not have exit polls, so those will not be called right when the polls close, and even if Trump does end up with a 15-20 point victory in Maryland, the media won't want to call it immediately either.

I think only Maryland is called when the polls close for Democrats, and Connecticut and Pennsylvania for Republicans, with Delaware being called like 5 minutes after early returns come in.

ivysaur12

Banned
I believe Delaware and Rhode Island will not have exit polls, so those will not be called right when the polls close, and even if Trump does end up with a 15-20 point victory in Maryland, the media won't want to call it immediately either.

I think only Maryland is called when the polls close for Democrats, and Connecticut and Pennsylvania for Republicans, with Delaware being called like 5 minutes after early returns come in.

sounds about right tbh

Holmes

I love that Hillary is saying she wants to work on gun reform and taking on the gun lobby on day 1, but I hope she doesn't use up all her political capital immediately on that and then have none left for other issues.

Holmes

I love that Hillary is saying she wants to work on gun reform and taking on the gun lobby on day 1, but I hope she doesn't use up all her political capital immediately on that and then have none left for other issues.
Nevermind, her subsequent rant has gotten me on the "fuck guns day 1" train.

Piecake

Tax evasion is bad, but, like, literally the point of a federal country is that you can choose to do business in particular states to take advantage of their state laws. Incorporating in Delaware to avoid state income tax is not tax evasion, it's just choice of venue. You'll still have to pay sales and use tax in other states if you do business there.

The biggest issue with Delaware from a corporate perspective isn't Delaware specific, it's non-compete clauses, which are mostly legal everywhere but California. Those should be federally illegal.

can you explain non-compete clauses further in this context? I am not really getting the implication/consequences of that from what you wrote.

ivysaur12

Banned
Rhode Island is going to ruin everything. And I'm not confident in Connecticut, either.

I am -- Sandy Hook + Bridgeport + Rich Hartford Suburbs + Hartford + New Haven + Fairfield County Finance Dems > Yale + UCONN + Litchfield + Tolland + Windham + Whites in New London

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
They don't even do ballots in RI, they just go door to door.

Takes like fifteen minutes

Hmm, but wouldn't it be easier to just have everybody go down to the precinct?
What does the homeless person do? Edit: I think his name is Paul?

pigeon

Banned
can you explain non-compete clauses further in this context? I am not really getting the implication/consequences of that from what you wrote.

Non compete clauses are bad for the economy by creating job lock. There are a few states where they are illegal if you are incorporated in that state. California is one of the only states where they are illegal if you employ people in that state, regardless of your incorporation.

There was just a Vox article that made a strident argument that Silicon Valley is in California mainly because the lack of noncompetes allow people to leave corporations to go work for startups without getting noncompeted out of their industry.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Non compete clauses are bad for the economy by creating job lock. There are a few states where they are illegal if you are incorporated in that state. California is one of the only states where they are illegal if you employ people in that state, regardless of your incorporation.

There was just a Vox article that made a strident argument that Silicon Valley is in California mainly because the lack of noncompetes allow people to leave corporations to go work for startups without getting noncompeted out of their industry.

I get the argument for non-compete clauses, is the issue they exist, or that they are too general?

On the flip side, it's a good incentive to keep your employees happy.

The phantom time hypothesis is a historical conspiracy theory advanced by Heribert Illig (born 1947).

First published in 1991, the hypothesis proposes a conspiracy by the Holy Roman Emperor Otto III, Pope Sylvester II, and possibly the Byzantine Emperor Constantine VII, to fabricate the Anno Domini dating system retrospectively, so that it placed them at the special year of AD 1000, and to rewrite history.[1] Illig believed that this was achieved through the alteration, misrepresentation, and forgery of documentary and physical evidence.[2] According to this scenario, the entire Carolingian period, including the figure of Charlemagne, would be a fabrication, with a "phantom time" of close to three centuries (AD 614 to 911) added to the Early Middle Ages.

The proposal has found no favour among mainstream medievalists.

I love how (according to this conspiracy) the Holy Roman Empire went through decades of work faking 300 years worth of history, just to claim that they were founded in the year 1000 AD. Who gives a fuck? I wouldn't go through this much trouble for... anything. Let alone just being able to say "yeah, we started this state in AD 1000."

What an outlandish conspiracy theory considering how limited the motivation is.

The Holy Roman Empire invented Islam just to claim that they founded in AD 1000.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm actually excited for the CT primary because CT never matters in politics and I can tell you all about the minutia of CT.

In 2008, my hometown went 53% Obama, 44% Clinton. I expect those margins to be a bit tighter, but reversed for Clinton/Sanders.

I know we don't typically do political cartoons but this was too perfect:

FsHZq7H.jpg

Trouble

Banned

I've been in the tech industry for over 15 years and I've never been asked to sign a non-compete (I would refuse, they are bullshit). Several companies have required non-recruitment agreements (can't recruit anyone at the company for a year after leaving). Thing about non-recruits are they are toothless anyways, they don't stop someone from coming to you and it's basically impossible to prove.

I think non-competes are more prevalent for executive level positions, though. Engineers are interchangeable cogs as far as the industry at large is concerned.

Holmes

I'm actually excited for the CT primary because CT never matters in politics and I can tell you all about the minutia of CT.

In 2008, my hometown went 53% Obama, 44% Clinton. I expect those margins to be a bit tighter, but reversed for Clinton/Sanders.
Might as well unload everything you know now because Connecticut will not be important again in the foreseeable future.

pigeon

Banned
I've been in the tech industry for over 15 years and I've never been asked to sign a non-compete (I would refuse, they are bullshit). Several companies have required non-recruitment agreements (can't recruit anyone at the company for a year after leaving). Thing about non-recruits are they are toothless anyways, they don't stop someone from coming to you and it's basically impossible to prove.

I think non-competes are more prevalent for executive level positions, though. Engineers are interchangeable cogs as far as the industry at large is concerned.

Where do you work in tech?

I actually think it goes the other way. I was asked to sign a noncompete clause to work as a QA grunt -- in California! (It is actually illegal even to offer somebody a noncompete knowing it won't be enforceable, so that was bad as well.)

I get the argument for non-compete clauses, is the issue they exist, or that they are too general?

On the flip side, it's a good incentive to keep your employees happy.

I don't think there is much argument for noncompetes to exist. "I am concerned that my dissatisfied employee will quit and start a new business doing the same thing I do but cheaper" does not sound like a problem I have any reason to give a shit about. I am interested in hearing more but it sounds like a rentier policy to me, so fuck it. They have been illegal in California for two decades I think and I have not seen much evidence of them being vital to the creation of a vibrant and growing business community.

Trouble

Banned
Where do you work in tech?

I actually think it goes the other way. I was asked to sign a noncompete clause to work as a QA grunt -- in California! (It is actually illegal even to offer somebody a noncompete knowing it won't be enforceable, so that was bad as well.)

Seattle for the past decade, Washington D.C. before that.

Seattle's ridiculously low unemployment rate and shortage of tech workers for a while now might have something to do with it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Nevermind, her subsequent rant has gotten me on the "fuck guns day 1" train.

I am more than happy if that's what she decides to fix. It'll help with so many things, one of which being police shootings. If guns aren't as prevalent then cops can finally change their bullshit training and not have everyone draw their guns the second they roll up on someone.

Also, can you link to her rant?

Holmes

I am more than happy if that's what she decides to fix. It'll help with so many things, one of which being police shootings. If guns aren't as prevalent then cops can finally change their bullshit training and not have everyone draw their guns the second they roll up on someone.

Also, can you link to her rant?
I'm on mobile now but it was during her town hall with Rachel Maddow. I saw it on the MSNBC site but I'm sure you can find the whole thing on Youtube too.

Non-competes are all over the place in Texas. Basically, they very, very rarely actually hold up in court and as long as you follow the procedure and legal advice to the letter, they don't have much consequence. The burden of showing undue hardship is pretty easy to demonstrate - but must be done by the book.

There are certainly some contexts where they make sense, but for the most part it's just another something in the bag of tools a company uses to intimidate employees. It really needs a more narrow definition and stricter criteria.

Holmes

I was stupid enough to venture deep into Twitter and people are already calling fraud on Rhode Island reducing the number of polling places in the state for the primary by blaming it on Clinton. Those Arizona teas.

Piecake

Oh, I was confused because the way you wrote that made it seem to me that non-competes had something to do with companies incorporating in Delaware

An all black female ticket would be even more incredibly sexist and racist from the GOP side than HRC and Obama. I need it.

Plus, a black female president would be so important. They're such a neglected component of this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom