• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would Facebook engineers be anti-bernie. Makes no sense. They'd probably be much more pro bernie

Though they have flirted with being anti-trump which is kinda scary where that can lead.

Someone probably saw that and decided to play victims and further convince themselves bernie is losing because some sinister forces not because more people aren't voting for him.

Does anyone know anything about Facebook stifling the democracy of Sanders supporters? Apparently Mark Zuckerberg in conjunction with the Clinton campaign are apparently (allegedly) taking down facebook groups associated with Bernie.

I engaged and asked what a private corporation has to do with democracy and got conspiracy stuff.

I wrote a Medium article about this. This is clear, intentional, and consistent voter intimidation.

my god, voter intimidation. I wonder what Clinton has done, bring a baseball bat to individual voting booths and threatening everyone?

pigeon

Banned
As a white New Yorker I have no idea how I fight gentrification because I tend to be a part of it by my presence.

Well I guess I don't really partake in the yoga studios, organic grocery stores and all that. I like dive bars, bodegas and local shops. Still hard not to feel like I'm sometimes a part of the problem.

You are like a second wave gentrifier if you like authentic local merchants but you're still white and well-off. First wave is punks, yoga studios don't show up until like fourth wave.

Ultimately gentrification is a systemic racial issue so if you want to fight it you just need to fix racism. There isn't much you can do as an individual otherwise because you have to live somewhere and eat something and gentrification is a consequence of many people making individually reasonable decisions about that stuff. Ultimately the root cause of gentrification is segregated neighborhoods in the first place and that's just straightforward racial in action.

Does anyone know anything about Facebook stifling the democracy of Sanders supporters? Apparently Mark Zuckerberg in conjunction with the Clinton campaign are apparently (allegedly) taking down facebook groups associated with Bernie.

I engaged and asked what a private corporation has to do with democracy and got conspiracy stuff.
It's extremely easy to get Facebook pages taken down automatically. My gut says it's 4chan.

Back in the day (2008), my mom and her mom friends would actually troll conservative Facebook pages so badly, they either were forced to close down, or got report bombed and were forced to close.

It's really not that hard if you've got the time and enough people.

Slayven

Yeah, my neighborhood is becoming the new college haven. TWO coffee shops have opened up within 2 blocks of me in the last six months, it's crazy. Landlords are raising rent because they know they can. Luckily I can afford it, but a lot of people who live here can't. And cost of living in Philly is already higher than it should be. It's sad.

Maybe you will get a farmer's market so you can always have the freshest none GMO hair products

She said she phone banked for Sanders. I'm sure she voted for him too. Probably gives money to him. A 'true believer' if ever there was one. She didn't even seem open to the possibility that Sanders won't win the nomination. Hence I skipped town.

Providence RI drivers are statistically some of the worst by the way. If we want to bag on Rhode Island. They're probably too busy reading all those 'HAIL JESUS' and 'COME TO NANCYS SEX SHOP' billboards along the highway.

Aaaand, Sam Wang has updated Trump's odds again. 90% chance of hitting 1237.

His prediction, I believe, is still predicated on Trump winning Indiana, and Pennsylvania's delegates voting as the people do. The former, we'll find out soon enough. The latter? I'm not sure we'll know until the convention.

Well, actually, his model does do some accounting for faithless delegates in PA. He just doesn't think there will be a lot of them.

Ultimately gentrification is a systemic racial issue so if you want to fight it you just need to fix racism. [...] Ultimately the root cause of gentrification is segregated neighborhoods in the first place and that's just straightforward racial in action.
Okay, that is plainly wrong.

User 406

Banned
You are like a second wave gentrifier if you like authentic local merchants but you're still white and well-off. First wave is punks, yoga studios don't show up until like fourth wave.

Ultimately gentrification is a systemic racial issue so if you want to fight it you just need to fix racism. There isn't much you can do as an individual otherwise because you have to live somewhere and eat something and gentrification is a consequence of many people making individually reasonable decisions about that stuff. Ultimately the root cause of gentrification is segregated neighborhoods in the first place and that's just straightforward racial in action.

I think white people who are concerned about racial segregation need to prioritize neighborhood diversity when choosing a place to live. Moving into neighborhoods that have a demographic spectrum that is whiter than average is just contributing to the problem. Of course, if moving into a diverse neighborhood is part of a subsequent trend that makes it less diverse, that's a problem, but that's impossible for an individual person or family to predict or control. Best you can do really is to make sure you're not self-segregating and be good to your neighbors.

Why would Facebook engineers be anti-bernie. Makes no sense. They'd probably be much more pro bernie

Though they have flirted with being anti-trump which is kinda scary where that can lead.

Someone probably saw that and decided to play victims and further convince themselves bernie is losing because some sinister forces not because more people aren't voting for him.

Nothing makes my eyes roll more than the seemingly endless conspiracy theories every time Clinton wins. Is it that hard to believe your guy just got less votes?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
As a white New Yorker I have no idea how I fight gentrification because I tend to be a part of it by my presence.

Well I guess I don't really partake in the yoga studios, organic grocery stores and all that. I like dive bars, bodegas and local shops. Still hard not to feel like I'm sometimes a part of the problem.

I think the way people react to gentrification, similar to cultural appropriation is mistargeted.

In both cases people seem to react to individuals, when it is the surrounding culture and businesses that are really contributing to it. What are people supposed to do, not live in an area they want to? Not enjoy coffee, farmer's markets or yoga?

Instead people should be fighting harder for more livable wages, stronger rent controls, etc. Deal with the systems around it, not the individual people.

Just my unsubstantiated thoughts on the matter.

dramatis

Don't know if this was posted yesterday, but it looks like NC is keeping its voter ID junk.
The opinion, by Judge Thomas D. Schroeder of Federal District Court in Winston-Salem, upheld the repeal of a provision that allowed people to register and vote on the same day. It also upheld a seven-day reduction in the early-voting period; the end of preregistration, which allowed some people to sign up before their 18th birthdays; and the repeal of a provision that allowed for the counting of ballots cast outside voters’ home precinct.

It also left intact North Carolina’s voter identification requirement, which legislators softened last year to permit residents to cast ballots, even if they lack the required documentation, if they submit affidavits.

thcsquad

I think income inequality is a big part of it. Here in Chicago you get rich people buying 2-flats and 3-flats and converting them into huge single family houses, driving down the housing supply as more people are trying to move in. Then, the controversial large developments get proposed. In one sense they are good and needed because we need to replenish housing supply, but in another sense they tend to be luxury developments. In theory, these new developments should ease pricing pressure on the older housing stock, and I'm sure they do to some extent, but more luxury housing supply induces more demand for luxury housing, and before you know it the land that the older housing stock sits in becomes way more valuable and those landlords cash out so more luxury housing can get built. Rinse, repeat, you eventually get Wicker Park.

New middle-class housing rarely gets built in these neighborhoods. I don't see any end to it besides the rich people in the area being less rich and the poor people in the area being less poor, because that seems to be what fuels the cycle.

I think white people who are concerned about racial segregation need to prioritize neighborhood diversity when choosing a place to live. Moving into neighborhoods that have a demographic spectrum that is whiter than average is just contributing to the problem. Of course, if moving into a diverse neighborhood is part of a subsequent trend that makes it less diverse, that's a problem, but that's impossible for an individual person or family to predict or control. Best you can do really is to make sure you're not self-segregating and be good to your neighbors.

This is my problem. I'm thinking of moving to bushwick or bed-stuy (not sure) which is still ethnically diverse but me moving there makes it whiter and landlords know I can probably pay more than what they're offering now (I pay more than going rents in the area) so they can jack things up and push people out.

But I don't know how I fight that, I mean staying in whiter areas isn't pushing anyone out but its not helping the problem either.

I guess the biggest thing I can do is fight for policies that punish landlords for pushing tennents out and promote mandatory affordable housing. A lot of these developments get paid for with subsidies from the state and city. We should leverage that to mandating these aren't only luxury places.

Fuchsdh

If you believe that one has the right to live where they want indefinitely, then you can be against gentrification, but otherwise I don't really think people have a leg to stand on. It's the market at work, and traditional tools like rent controls have only aggravated the issue.

Juice bars and yoga studios and Whole Foods aren't appealing to me, so in that sense I'm not "gentrifying" (I also can't afford the luxury places that developers are building because the market will bear it, so in that way I'm also just as likely to be displaced in a few years after the lower-income people have gotten the shaft). But I'll still be a white guy moving to Bushwick or Bed-Stuy in a month or two, and be part of an unavoidable trend of which there is nothing I can do. besides I guess not make some people feel as enraged because I don't have a man-bun and keffiyeh.

If you believe that one has the right to live where they want indefinitely, then you can be against gentrification, but otherwise I don't really think people have a leg to stand on. It's the market at work, and traditional tools like rent controls have only aggravated the issue.

Juice bars and yoga studios and Whole Foods aren't appealing to me, so in that sense I'm not "gentrifying" (I also can't afford the luxury places that developers are building because the market will bear it, so in that way I'm also just as likely to be displaced in a few years after the lower-income people have gotten the shaft). But I'll still be a white guy moving to Bushwick or Bed-Stuy in a month or two, and be part of an unavoidable trend of which there is nothing I can do. besides I guess not make some people feel as enraged because I don't have a man-bun and keffiyeh.
I'd relate it to free trade, lots of gentrification is good (I know people who have lived and survived it and like many of the aspects: lower crime, cleaner, new attractions, etc) but people are going to feel the negative effects too.

We can't stop it all but we can mitigate the worst effects and help those left behind.

It's amazing that the judge can come up with a justification that doesn't involve saying "We don't want certain demographics voting."

Did he mention the "integrity of the vote" or anything about preventing fraud?

Isn't the whole problem weathy people taking residence in poor neighborhoods, NOT segregation?
Yes! If that is a "problem". But when poor people move into formerly rich areas like Detroit or pre-60s Baltimore, then that is a damn shame. Neighborhoods change, sorry folks. And that's good because it helps keep the economy at large liquid.
I think white people who are concerned about racial segregation need to prioritize neighborhood diversity when choosing a place to live.
No, we're talking about gentrification! White people moving into colored neighborhoods is supposedly the problem!
Moving into neighborhoods that have a demographic spectrum that is whiter than average is just contributing to the problem.
No it's not! People can move wherever they want!
Of course, if moving into a diverse neighborhood is part of a subsequent trend that makes it less diverse, that's a problem, but that's impossible for an individual person or family to predict or control. Best you can do really is to make sure you're not self-segregating and be good to your neighbors.
Where do you live? The last time you moved, did you even think about diversity and make it a ranking criteria?

Slayven

Aaaand, Sam Wang has updated Trump's odds again. 90% chance of hitting 1237.

His prediction, I believe, is still predicated on Trump winning Indiana, and Pennsylvania's delegates voting as the people do. The former, we'll find out soon enough. The latter? I'm not sure we'll know until the convention.

Well, actually, his model does do some accounting for faithless delegates in PA. He just doesn't think there will be a lot of them.

51ofOA3QGgL._SY300_.jpg

pigeon

Banned
Okay, that is plainly wrong.

This post is incomplete.

Isn't the whole problem weathy people taking residence in poor neighborhoods, NOT segregation?

Wealthy people live in poor neighborhoods all the time when both are white. Gentrification doesn't happen because class mixing is impossible in America, it happens because race mixing is impossible in America.

Saying it's about segregation is a little simplistic -- I'm not trying to blame ethnic enclaves here or anything -- but ultimately if white people weren't afraid of people of color gentrification wouldn't be a thing. I think people get fixated on the class issue and forget that the fundamental assumption behind gentrification is that white people and people of color can't live together in the same place.

I think this is a good idea in theory but ultimately I think both choices you outlined contribute to gentrification.

Gentrification in practice happens in a series of waves. Each wave is richer than the last one, more fearful than the last one and more inclined towards business investment than the last one. If you're less fearful and more willing to engage with the community then you're just part of an early wave instead of being part of a late wave.

This is my problem. I'm thinking of moving to bushwick or bed-stuy (not sure) which is still ethnically diverse but me moving there makes it whiter and landlords know I can probably pay more than what they're offering now (I pay more than going rents in the area) so they can jack things up and push people out.

But I don't know how I fight that, I mean staying in whiter areas isn't pushing anyone out but its not helping the problem either.

I guess the biggest thing I can do is fight for policies that punish landlords for pushing tennents out and promote mandatory affordable housing. A lot of these developments get paid for with subsidies from the state and city. We should leverage that to mandating these aren't only luxury places.

I think that's fine, but ultimately building lower-income housing doesn't stop landlords from redlining. I saw this happen in Santa Cruz where landlords on Pacific had to build a bunch of lower-income housing in downtown Santa Cruz as part of their large developments. Guess what immediately got filled up with college kids and white slackers?

Like I said I think you just have to fix racism.

I think that's fine, but ultimately building lower-income housing doesn't stop landlords from redlining.

Like I said I think you just have to fix racism.

I guess but in places like NYC race is so inexplicably linked to income. I don't think there's as many poor white families (I could be wrong but they've mostly left the city) in these areas. So its hard to untangle it here. I think this is vastly different in other areas like the midwest, california, etc.

How much does a career coach make?

Glassdoor says 37K average.

130,000 for that type of job makes me wonder where she went to school and what her end goal really was?

But still all she has to do is declare a hardship and start an income-driven plan. Yes it is 10% of your discretionary income for 20 years, but if you want to go to a school that racks up that much debt for a job that can't pay it back easily, then you just need to come to terms that you owe 10% of your salary for most of your career.

NeoXChaos

Warwick: Providence, the state capital, should function much like Philadelphia but scaled down. Obama narrowly won in Providence in 2008; Sanders will need to turn out enough young voters — including students at Brown University and Providence College — to overcome Clinton’s advantages with non-white voters.
But Warwick, the state’s second-largest city, also looms large. Clinton won comfortably here eight years ago, beating Obama, 61 percent to 38 percent.
The city is mostly white, but the population leans older, which could benefit Clinton.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/...ennsylvania-rhode-island-222332#ixzz46wWRrT9t

Seems like HA Goodman is starting to accept that Bernie won't be the nominee (even though he's still the clear frontrunner since Hillary is under FBI investigation). His latest article makes an argument for a write-in campaign in November.

I'm also not a fan of the "Trump won't be so bad because he won't get anything passed in Congress" argument I've seen people making (and that HA makes) since it ignores that radical behavior his rhetoric inspires. If he's already inspiring this kind of behavior from campaigning, imagine what he would inspire as president.

Seems like HA Goodman is starting to accept that Bernie won't be the nominee (even though he's still the clear frontrunner since Hillary is under FBI investigation). His latest article makes an argument for a write-in campaign in November.

I'm also not a fan of the "Trump won't be so bad because he won't get anything passed in Congress" argument I've seen people making (and that HA makes) since it ignores that radical behavior his rhetoric inspires. If he's already inspiring this kind of behavior from campaigning, imagine what he would inspire as president.

Lol a write in campaign.... because if he couldn't win when he's on the ballot he'll definitely win when he's not!

Also, Bernie-stans always forget to mention that little old SCOTUS vacancy when they flirt with Trump.

Wealthy people live in poor neighborhoods all the time when both are white. Gentrification doesn't happen because class mixing is impossible in America, it happens because race mixing is impossible in America.
No, they definitely don't. White people with high income almost always live in neighborhoods with comparable income. This is quantifiable and in fact I just read these numbers last week.

Saying it's about segregation is a little simplistic -- I'm not trying to blame ethnic enclaves here or anything -- but ultimately if white people weren't afraid of people of color gentrification wouldn't be a thing.
No. If white people weren't afraid of people of color then segregation wouldn't be a thing. You have very egregiously left out your evidence that racism and gentrification are in any way linked.
I think people get fixated on the class issue and forget that the fundamental assumption behind gentrification is that white people and people of color can't live together in the same place.
No, the fundamental assumption of gentrification is that poor people shouldn't be able to afford the rising prices of neighborhoods being transitioned to high-income neighborhoods. Actually. There's no assumption. It just happens.

Gentrification in practice happens in a series of waves. Each wave is richer than the last one, more fearful than the last one and more inclined towards business investment than the last one. If you're less fearful and more willing to engage with the community then you're just part of an early wave instead of being part of a late wave.
No, gentrification is when hip nouveau riche move into Brooklyn because they saw Do The Right Thing and thought Buggin' Out was right about everything. No fear involved at all. In fact, if they were afraid, they would not move there.

I think that's fine, but ultimately building lower-income housing doesn't stop landlords from redlining.
Rent control and redlining are mutually exclusive because one is rent and one is for mortgages.
I saw this happen in Santa Cruz where landlords on Pacific had to build a bunch of lower-income housing in downtown Santa Cruz as part of their large developments. Guess what immediately got filled up with college kids and white slackers?
Again, a misunderstanding of redlining. Redlining is when you take traditionally black neighborhoods and make the interest rate on mortgages higher because black people are risky. If new houses were built in Santa Cruz and they had no prior occupants, and were then rented out to college students, that is not because of racism and redlining, that was a huge excess of demand.

CCS

Banned
How Bernie responds to defeat between now and the convention and where he shifts his rhetoric to will dictate whether he has a lasting impact on politics or ends up a tricky pub quiz question.

User 406

Banned
No, we're talking about gentrification! White people moving into colored neighborhoods is supposedly the problem!

The problem isn't the integration, it's the pushing out of poor minorities when prices go up.

No it's not! People can move wherever they want!

Of course they can, I'm talking about considerations when deciding where to move.

Where do you live? The last time you moved, did you even think about diversity and make it a ranking criteria?

I live in Cleveland, and yes, diversity was an important issue for us, and moving out to some lily-white suburb was something we didn't want to do.

I think this is a good idea in theory but ultimately I think both choices you outlined contribute to gentrification.

I agree with this. I just don't see how segregation really can end unless white people are willing to live with minorities. The endgame of gentrification is the problem on that end, where redlining is the problem when it comes to minorities trying to move into whiter areas.

I do believe that the best antidote to racism is daily interaction, and integration is key to that.

I'm probably going to sound crass, but I have no real issue with gentrifying. It's pretty much just the opposite end of urban decay, and seems pretty natural overall.

Poverty itself, and affordable housing are the issues that should be addressed. Let the natural cycles happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom