• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT6| Delete your accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

I'm not entirely sure what she brings to the ticket?

She's very popular among Bernie supporters, so the Dems feel that they need to reign in that group she'd be a good pick.

She's also proven to get under Trump's skin easily, and having two women on the ticket is almost a guarantee that he'll go further down the sexism rabbit hole and alienate even more female voters.

cogent

Banned
Sanders supporters apparently but I'm not convinced the ones who wouldn't vote for her anyway will be persuaded by Warren. Would much rather she went with Perez...

I still think Kaine. Virginia wins the election plain and simple. Plus a Dem Gov to replace him.

Tarkus

Souldriver with the receipts of him being non-problematic

okah6rkduql.gif
I had a genuine belly laugh at this. Thanks!

Souldriver with the receipts of him being non-problematic

okah6rkduql.gif

Haha, thanks :)

I do remember 8 years ago Hillary being my preferred candidate at first, but then Obama (someone I didn't know) swooped in, and took over with his charisma and character you simply couldn't dislike, and most importantly a platform that's just as competent as Hillary's. So in the end I just realized both were okay for me. And I'm very glad Obama became President.

At the beginning of this primary season, I was kind of in the same place as 8 years ago. Hillary is my preferred candidate, but Bernie would do just fine and it wouldn't hurt the democrats to listen to the more left-wing fraction of the party. However, as the primary has dragged on, I've become more opinionated. Bernies campaign doesn't simply show the signs of desparation a losing camp does, which I can excuse. Bernie himself has these past few months shown that, to me personally, he doesn't seem fit to be President. His platform is just to simplistic, he doesn't seem knowledgeable in subjects a potential candidate should be, and the way he oversees and manages his campaign (with all the denial of math and laiser-faire of his problematic supporters), I have seriously soured on him. Never in 2008, even when Hillary's campaign was going down in flames, I got the idea Hillary herself was a problematic candidate.

I realize, that if or when Bernie ends up giving a concession speech and a substantive endorsement of Hillary, a lot of bad blood will be washed away. But I can't help but feel that we dodged a bullet with him not getting the nomination.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Goodbye Hillary... Can't wait to vote for you and see you elected.

I have been stanning this queen for over 8 years and I get to slam the door shut on this horrible moth muppet Sanders on Tuesday. I am so excited.

I have been stanning this queen for over 8 years and I get to slam the door shut on this horrible moth muppet Sanders on Tuesday. I am so excited.

You're excited? Tuesday is my magical, special beautiful day. Do you know what Tuesday means to me? My queeeennnnn....

tumblr_nmt2r3QbIu1u5wdu4o1_500.gif

She's very popular among Bernie supporters, so the Dems feel that they need to reign in that group she'd be a good pick.

She's also proven to get under Trump's skin easily, and having two women on the ticket is almost a guarantee that he'll go further down the sexism rabbit hole and alienate even more female voters.

The majority of Bernie supporters are going to vote for Hillary regardless. The holdouts are not worth pursuing, much less naming a VP for.

Anyone who attacks Trump consistently gets under his skin. Jeb Bush got under his skin, Marco Rubio got under his skin, etc; I don't want them as VP either.

In terms of the woman thing, I don't think a two female ticket is a good idea for this election. Hillary has the female vote locked and here mere presence at the top of the ticket ensures at least two republican officials will say something incredibly ignorant about women/commander in chief/etc before November. I'd rather the VP be someone who reinforces the ticket's argument that Trump is unqualified to be president; Warren and her limited experience doesn't do that. I want to draw a contrast where both Clinton and her VP have unquestioned credentials and experience. And while it may sound a bit crass, I like the idea of the democrat ticket having the only credible, competent, sane white man on either ticket. I may be off base but I think that would make Trump look even worse.

Tim Kaine meets all the criteria I'd want. Unfortunately the VA governor's FBI trouble could keep Kaine off the ticket.

cogent

Banned
The majority of Bernie supporters are going to vote for Hillary regardless. The holdouts are not worth pursuing, much less naming a VP for.

Anyone who attacks Trump consistently gets under his skin. Jeb Bush got under his skin, Marco Rubio got under his skin, etc; I don't want them as VP either.

In terms of the woman thing, I don't think a two female ticket is a good idea for this election. Hillary has the female vote locked and here mere presence at the top of the ticket ensures at least two republican officials will say something incredibly ignorant about women/commander in chief/etc before November. I'd rather the VP be someone who reinforces the ticket's argument that Trump is unqualified to be president; Warren and her limited experience doesn't do that. I want to draw a contrast where both Clinton and her VP have unquestioned credentials and experience. And while it may sound a bit crass, I like the idea of the democrat ticket having the only credible, competent, sane white man on either ticket. I may be off base but I think that would make Trump look even worse.

Tim Kaine meets all the criteria I'd want. Unfortunately the VA governor's FBI trouble could keep Kaine off the ticket.

I don't see anything coming from it honestly.

CDX

does someone have the link to the thread on neogaf of Obama Clinching?

I'm not sure if a thread was made specifically for that (if there was, I couldn't find it, at least), but I did find the PoliGAF thread from when that happened:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303151

Page 39 is when it gets to the day that Obama clinched the nomination - page 55 is when the networks actually call it (this is with 100 posts per page).

There's a lot of Hillary hate, though the frustration is understandable (some of it did cross the line into sexism, I think).

EDIT: Ah, beaten by ampere!

Oh wow. That's a fun thread to read 8 years later.

(06-03-2008, 10:41 AM)

I love Hillaryis44 putting a question mark after "Democratic" now :lol

god i can't wait until obama wins and this site shuts down

Oh Y2Kev, you thought Hillaryis44 would go away.

I'm afraid to see what they are up to now. Are they full on Trump supporters now?

Tim Kaine is not an exciting pick. He's an older white man. It's a big nothing pick, in my opinion. He doesn't help with any demographic weakness she has. Warren does that. Perez does that, although I think they have to spend time defining him for the liberal side of the party.

I'm also not of the mindset that a Veep is uber useful in delivering a state to you. She'll win or lose based on demographics, not Veep selection.

Zornack

Not just two women but two old white northeastern women. I don't think Clinton/Warren will happen.

cogent

Banned
Tim Kaine is not an exciting pick. He's an older white man. It's a big nothing pick, in my opinion. He doesn't help with any demographic weakness she has. Warren does that. Perez does that, although I think they have to spend time defining him for the liberal side of the party.

I'm also not of the mindset that a Veep is uber useful in delivering a state to you. She'll win or lose based on demographics, not Veep selection.

He helps with Virginia. He's qualified. Joe Biden was also once an older white man pick as well.

itschris

Some NeoGAF reactions to Hillary's concession speech/endorsement of Obama (each line is a new post from a different user):

Thank you, Hillary.

Damn I never thought I would heard this :lol

This is about what I could have hoped for

You know, if she had given speeches like this all along, she'd be the nominee right now.

She is doing a great job with this speach. This is going to be great for the party.

oh god all over my face and tits, everytime she says the golden phrase i am bliss

She's doing a much better job than I expected. I mean, I knew the praises were coming but I did not know it would be this good.

CONCEDE AND GO AWAY!

SHE won't be riding on the coat-tails of YES HE CAN Obama.

Y2Kev: I think this is a pretty good speech actually. But, like, it's American Idol when the contestant gives their best performance after they've been voted off :lol

I'm not liking how this is basically, "I didn't lose because of a faulty campaign - I lost because of the glass ceiling."

I won't lie...this is kinda cool. Why did she have to be such a bitch for the campaign? Then maybe I wouldn't mind her as VP.

The question is, will Sanders give an inspiring speech encouraging his followers to give their full support to Clinton? I'm skeptical.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Barney Frank as VP, still hoping, even if chances are very slim.

The part about his public image in his Wiki explains why:

Frank is known for his quick wit and rapid-fire speaking style.[41] In one quip, he said he was unable to complete his review of the Starr Report detailing President Bill Clinton's relationship with Monica Lewinsky, complaining that it was "too much reading about heterosexual sex".[42] In 2004 and again in 2006, a survey of Capitol Hill staffers published in Washingtonian gave Frank the title of the "brainiest", "funniest", and "most eloquent" member of the House.[43] In 2008, the same survey named him "brainiest", and runner up for "workhorse", and "most eloquent";[44] in 2010, he was named "brainiest", "workhorse", and "funniest".[45] He is also widely considered to have been, during his tenure, one of the most powerful members of Congress.[46][47][48] Democratic speech writer Josh Gottheimer, in his book Ripples of Hope: Great American Civil Rights Speeches, describes Frank as "one of the brightest and most energetic defenders of civil rights issues."[49]

Such a perfect fit for Hillary. Warren doesn't complement her at all. With Frank it would be a landslide. Plus he'd make this a fun campaign.

He helps with Virginia. He's qualified. Joe Biden was also once an older white man pick as well.

Biden was picked to appeal to WWC voters and to shore up Obama's weakness of foreign policy. He was selected to balance out weaknesses Obama had.

I believe Hillary's weaknesses are based on ideology not demographics. She's fine with AA voters, fine with Latino voters, fine with women, fine with LGBT voters. Where I think she's weakest is with the far left. Tacking towards the center isn't going to help her that much, especially when Trump is her opponent.

Warren or Perez are my first choices for that reason. Perez requires a bit more work, in that you have to sell him to that wing of the party. Warren comes in with credentials in tack. I like Becerra for demographic and ideological reasons.

I'm also not sold on the idea that a VP really helps that much. I think 538 said it was, at most, a 2-3 point swing that was more prominent in smaller states than in bigger states. If the trade off is 2-3 points in Virginia with Kaine, but Warren/Perez gives us 2-3 points overall? I take the second any day.

Outside of Virginia, Kaine really has no national presence. Warren does, definitely.

NeoXChaos

Some NeoGAF reactions to Hillary's concession speech/endorsement of Obama (each line is a new post from a different user):

The question is, will Sanders give an inspiring speech encouraging his followers to give their full support to Clinton? I'm skeptical.

yup. Hillary really did redeem herself since 08.

lol Y2Kev: Either they have a secret deal already in place or she was stuck last night with a Nicey Nice Arrow.

same posting style.

ampere

Barney Frank as VP, still hoping, even if chances are very slim.

The part about his public image in his Wiki explains why:

Such a perfect fit for Hillary. Warren doesn't complement her at all. With Frank it would be a landslide. Plus he'd make this a fun campaign.

he said he was unable to complete his review of the Starr Report detailing President Bill Clinton's relationship with Monica Lewinsky, complaining that it was "too much reading about heterosexual sex"

Is Bernie part of Gay-GAF? What's his username

I still say Tom Perez!

I'd say he's still my top pick, because he could be a future party leader.

kadotsu

Banned
I'm would love all of the suggestions as VP but I think the campaign will go with a Biden 2.0. They need the "guy I could have a beer with" checkbox marked, which actually means white, straight men pandering.

Crayons

Banned
I'm would love all of the suggestions as VP but I think the campaign will go with a Biden 2.0. They need the "guy I could have a beer with" checkbox marked, which actually means white, straight men pandering.

I think that these straight white men need to change the people they want to have a beer with

I'd have a beer with Elizabeth Warren any day

Tim Kaine gets her Virginia, and therefore a near-guaranteed win. He's also someone a bit more conventional, which could help appeal to people put out by Clinton and Trump alike.

Bernie just gave a reaction to the San Jose violence:

aM5sY5R.jpg

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/738900282440962048

Credit where credit is due, that's a MUCH better answer. If he'd have given that kind of answer about Nevada he wouldn't have taken the beating he did.

I would argue that him being so conventional is more of a problem this year. He's a former DNC Chair. He's totally establishment. Someone slightly outside the DNC Establishment would, I think be a good play.

Virginia is all that matters...

You do not build a campaign around winning one state. That's a terrible strategy, in my opinion. (See Kerry in Ohio a la 2004). If the choice is a candidate that moves the needle 2-3 points in a single state or a candidate who moves the needle 2-3 points across the board? I'd go with that second choice every day. I'm sure they're focus testing and polling the hell out of several people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom