• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how there's no middle of the road with Trump.

Off script he's coocoo nutso, but when on script, he's boring and lame. He's incapable of being on-script and interesting at the same time.

Starting to think that Trump himself personally does not understand that The Foundation is not a direct Clinton bank account. He actually believes it. Also convinced Trump is only salty only the speeches is because he can't make money that easily.,

The media isn't going to call him out on any of this, either. You could spend days dissecting everything wrong with this speech.

Slacker

I've had a busy couple of days and haven't been keeping up. Trump questioned Hillary's religion? Really? And he formed a panel to advise him on religious matters headed up by Michelle Bachmann? THAT Michelle Bachmann? Is this real life?

I've had a busy couple of days and haven't been keeping up. Trump questioned Hillary's religion? Really? And he formed a panel to advise him on religious matters headed up by Michelle Bachmann? THAT Michelle Bachmann? Is this real life?

I can't look it up right now but I believe it was someone who worked on Michele Bachmann's campaign, not Michele herself.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Is he saying anything coherent? I'm working (SAD!) and I can't watch it....

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/transcript-trump-speech-on-the-stakes-of-the-election-224654

Full transcript (in process)

Our country will be better off when we start making our own products again, bringing our once great manufacturing capabilities back to our shores.
Says the guy who has them overseas

Hillary Clinton gave China millions of our best jobs, and effectively let China completely rebuild itself.

How does hillary do this? I thought companies choose to hire and where, not someone in the government

lol I hope republicans liked that speech. If they truly thought that was good, then the threshold for them to keep Trump must be really low

Hrm. Welp, there goes that theory. :D Unless it's a midwestern specific thing.

I think the point Kris and Val are trying to make is that the sheer "black and white" aspect of the argument isn't an accurate one - that there is way more nuance and the factors leading to racism are far more complicated than "I want to be a bigot, eff them all", That's the easy and lazy way (and frankly IMO, in here, is purely virtue signaling) to go about it; rather than trying to actually change those who can be first.

I think that there is a difference between prejudice born of ignorance, and prejudice born of hatred. I think most people are redeemable (unless you want to ignore the civil rights movement and gay marriage and the insane progress it has made in a single lifetime) ultimately; and I think the fundamental difference is that of optimism and pessimism, and everyone will always find the anecdata they are looking for to continue to prove their point.

First, let's lay out more groundwork for this. Are you talking about racists who tell stupid jokes or Klansmen? Because I'm talking about the latter (and I realize that they probably aren't a big feature in Seattle, but in Mississippi, they show up at least once a year to march somewhere). I simply find it disgusting to appeal to them.

And to my knowledge, the "they're not mean, just ignorant" is a myth. Some people simply hate black people, or Muslims, or LGBT people, etc... and they state that if asked in the company of white hetero folks. My own father-in-law is a Trump supporter who says his favorite song is "White Christmas" *wink wink*. These people exist; they're not dumb, and the real world isn't a Disney channel original movie where people are swayed once they see the real truth (or whatever).

I really don't know how you can look at something like that other thread in OT right now (with the TN guy putting up billboards that say "I Have a Dream" with Confederate flags or "Make America White Again") and say, "That guy's probably just not as knowledgeable about people of color. Shame on you for not appealing to him!"

That doesn't really clarify what I'm getting at I don't think. If you want to argue media is a better anti-bigot medium than political decisions that's one thing, but I don't think it's inaccurate to say that many people in here argue that it's basically useless to attempt to change the minds of bigots, in which case Ellen negates that argument and polling might too, but I don't know if that reversal in approval is all down to old people dying.

Seems like the preferred end goal seems not to change minds but instead win the election so the good guys can make the rules.

See above for changing people. People that tell racist jokes? Maybe you could get through. But I think there's a sizable portion of our nation that simply doesn't like people of color or any other minorities, and you won't change them with a hug or a TV show.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
this is the most methodological speech against the Clinton

Says trump supporter on cnn

"methodological" I don't think he understands what this word means

IOu4uFj.png

YEAAA. GO DEMS.

Mael

That's why I don't contribute much this thread moves so fast..

Racism should never be excused. But I disagree that individual bigots are 100% responsible for their hatred. Societal factors (segregation, poverty, and class society) play a huge role in acculturating the white poor into being racist, just as societal factors influence our religious beliefs or musical taste.

Let me ask again -- if bigotry was entirely a conscious decision, shouldn't we see the same type of bigotry among white college professors and white construction workers?

You can certainly find some white college professors with the same outlook as white construction workers.
I'm not saying it's entirely a conscious decision but it is at some point and the fact that you can find people from racist background not holding on to a racist outlook of life means that it's entirely possible and is an indictment of the rest of the racists.
It's kinda like rape culture, I'm from a culture and background that would tend to view women as exceptionally less capable than men and being merely tools men use and discard (and if you don't think that's how French society can view women...).
It's not how I view the situation and if someone with a similar background hold these views it's on them, not nebulous society problem.
To quote someone who died a little more than a year ago :
Dude : "It's society's fault"
Girl : "Why did you burn your desk?"

CNN pointing out a lot of "factual inaccuracies" with Trump's speech

It's now the hot narrative to eviscerate the guy, which then prompts a response from him (largely incoherent), which generates the next tear-down of his stupid comments.

I generally dislike how wimpy our media is (from the large groups anyway), but finally they're attacking when facts are simply proving Trump wrong.

Katy Tur saying on MSNBC that she spoke with some big Republican donors, and that this speech changes nothing. They don't believe he can stop being a fuck-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom