• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

.@kwelkerNBC:

Interesting..

duFST5

Teggy

Nicole Wallace made a good point on MSNBC. Normally with a speech like this you put up a bunch of ads with the same content in swing states and send out surrogates to hammer on the same points. In Trump's case you...uh...had a speech.

Nicole Wallace made a good point on MSNBC. Normally with a speech like this you put up a bunch of ads with the same content in swing states and send out surrogates to hammer on the same points. In Trump's case you...uh...had a speech.

I always get creeped out by her because there was a long running serial killer named Nicole Wallace on Law and Order: Criminal Intent. Totally not her fault, but I can't shake the association.

Best gif I've seen in a long time (except for Adam's drag gifs of course. And I'm going to the show in New Orleans this weekend!).

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, there's a libertarian town hall in 9 hours.
Is it in a private establishment that can deny entry to people based on race or religion, which is totally their right, but they won't because a series of market interactions will steer them towards a just and equitable outcome as if guided by an invisible hand which cares only about unfettered capitalism but will also totally secure human rights in the process?

Or is it just illegal to discriminate?

I mean sure the second one is "easier" but it makes me get that government icky smell.

Owzers

The GOP should celebrate, Trump resisted making bigoted comments ( from the parts i saw) and just stuck to lying, something everyone can get behind.

So not only did the press destroy that "major" Trump speech, it was horrible! If that is Manafort's "presidential" Trump, then I'm fine with that.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So not only did the press destroy that "major" Trump speech, it was horrible! If that is Manafort's "presidential" Trump, then I'm fine with that.

In all probability, he will be back to doing his off the cuff bullshit within 48 hours.

Paskil

I actually contended that the effect was immediate. And It was by the late 1980s that it ossified into partisan positions.

All I am stating is the should be uncontroversial opinion that issues solved through the standard "democratic" political process are considered more legitimate than those not.

The courts are not considered part of this political process by the public writ large. Thus the notion that gay marriage can be "imposed" by the courts. Especially if the voters have already voted against it.

Roe, because it's about abortion, an already morally charged question, is one of the best examples of such a case.

Scalia wasn't the only one who thinks that Roe precluded the issue being damped via the political process which increased opposition:

Justice Ginsburg, of all people, agrees with him:

Still:

It's not about right or wrong, it's about legitimacy. The public by and large do not consider the courts to be legitimate when it rules against them. (Such as forcing the government to hold trials rather than simply convict guilty criminals.)

Actions through the legislature or by referenda are considered more democratic and thus more legitimate than lifetime court appointees "imposing" their own views on the country and forcing Wal-Mart to say "happy holidays" or outlawing patriotism.

And yet Roe v Wade gave women something country wide that 40 years of state by state demcocracy, read majority tyranny, wouldn't have: a legal right to abortion. A right many would flat out not have today without it.

I'll take the millions of lives saved over "legitimacy" any day.

I think we can't extract Roe v Wade from general anti-abortion zealotry that would have coincidenced with a state by state reaction as well as I think partisan ship happened over all sorts of issues: civil rights, rising of gay rights, other social issues. Yes it became partisan, because everything became partisan.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I guess I'm confused as to how Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State had as much power as Trump implied.

Holmes

Clinton's appearance with Warren in Cincinnati is a test run. She's gauging public interest for Warren as her running mate in a swing(-ish) region of a swing state, so don't fuck this up, Cinci.

Holmes

I had a dream last night that Clinton won the election. It was a comfortable victory and Dems took back the Senate. McCain won re-election by 7% though so that brought me down.

Pixieking

Banned
I guess I'm confused as to how Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State had as much power as Trump implied.

I'm only about 10% of the way through it, but judging from what I've read so far, Mark Landler's "Alter Egos" would show she didn't have that much power.

It's now the hot narrative to eviscerate the guy, which then prompts a response from him (largely incoherent), which generates the next tear-down of his stupid comments.

I generally dislike how wimpy our media is (from the large groups anyway), but finally they're attacking when facts are simply proving Trump wrong.

Crazy Trump = Ratings
Teleprompter Trump = Boring

If you attack Teleprompter Trump you force the return of Crazy Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom