• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sick of this concern trolling over "constitutional rights" about guns.

You don't have a unquestioned right to own a deadly weapon. And if you believe that you need to rethink your polically beliefs.

It's infuriating for white "liberals" to pretend to be oh so concerned that minorities and otherd might not be able to buy a gun without question when said groups are overwhelmingly in favor of said restrictions.

Are you for limiting gun ownership or fetishizing a flawed interpretation of a bad amendment?

Paskil

Dammit, Murphy. Thanks a lot.

---

Meanwhile, Hillary's response to Trump's #ImWithYou gambit..
HillaryOfferNotValid.jpg

GAT DAMN, Hillary's social media people on motherfucking point.

You don't have a unquestioned right to own a deadly weapon. And if you believe that you need to rethink your polically beliefs.

It's infuriating for white "liberals" to pretend to be oh so concerned that minorities and otherd might not be able to buy a gun without question when said groups are overwhelmingly in favor of said restrictions.

Are you for limiting gun ownership or fetishizing a flawed interpretation of a bad amendment?

The interpretation is not flawed. Pretty much every scholar I'm aware of who has looked at the language, looked at what the framers said about it, looked at legal decisions since then, looked at similar amendments and laws from the time, etc. has concluded that it says that individual gun ownership needs to be a constitutional right in order to allow functioning ("well-regulated") militias to form and provide necessary defense. The amendment says individual people need to be able to own guns, period.

Whether we should still have the amendment is a matter for debate, but the actions of our government being fundamentally limited by the interpretive boundaries of the Constitution (which are flexible, but not infinite) is one of the cornerstones of the political legitimacy of the American government in the national psyche. And, sociologically speaking, legitimacy is a pretty important thing.

I have no idea what this means
It means believing people (currently) have a right to deadly weapons has nothing to do with political beliefs and everything to do with constitutional interpretation.

The law says people have a right. I don't need to reassess everything. I think we have to repeal the 2nd amendment because every other incremental action is plausibly unconstitutional.

Wilsongt

Gun rights trolls always come out of the woodworks after mass shootings and when congress attempts action. They defend the 2nd amendment so hard they throw their backs out doing it, but when the 1st, 4th, 15th and 24th get stomped on by the states they are quiet.

Leftie argues that triple digit inflation and food shortages are "severe" but not "cataclysmic" in an attempt to prove...?

Is Venezuela descending into a nightmarish scenario, as these stories suggest? To answer this question I’ve spent the last three weeks talking to dozens of people—rich and poor, Chavista and opposition, urban and rural—across Venezuela. My investigation leaves little doubt that Venezuela is in the midst of a severe crisis, characterized by triple-digit inflation, scarcities of basic goods, widespread changes in food-consumption patterns, and mounting social and political discontent. Yet mainstream media have consistently misrepresented and significantly exaggerated the severity of the crisis. It’s real and should by no means be minimized, but Venezuela is not in a state of cataclysmic collapse.

https://www.thenation.com/article/how-severe-is-venezuelas-crisis/

The interpretation is not flawed. Pretty much every scholar I'm aware of who has looked at the language, looked at what the framers said about it, looked at legal decisions since then, looked at similar amendments and laws from the time, etc. has concluded that it says that individual gun ownership needs to be a constitutional right in order to allow functioning ("well-regulated") militias to form and provide necessary defense. The amendment says individual people need to be able to own guns, period.

Whether we should still have the amendment is a matter for debate, but the actions of our government being fundamentally limited by the interpretive boundaries of the Constitution (which are flexible, but not infinite) is one of the cornerstones of the political legitimacy of the American government in the national psyche. And, sociologically speaking, legitimacy is a pretty important thing.
Except 4 people on the supreme Court and like 100+ years of case law

NeoXChaos

As with Bernie-or-bust types, I have little to no respect for people like this. At the very least, on the most basic level, a president appoints the Attorney General, who heads the Department of Justice. If your focus is on criminal justice or voting rights or civil rights it strikes me as very important to have an Attorney General in place who is not antagonistic to your causes. How would a President Mitt Romney and his appointed AG handle something like Ferguson? Eric Holder deserves a lot of credit for taking his job very seriously and doing everything in (and perhaps outside) his power to fight for criminal justice reforms, voting rights, (some, not all) civil rights, etc. How can someone say the president doesn't matter give the stakes of issues like these?

But as with Bernie supporters, there are a lot of activists of all stripes who believe presidents can wave a magic want and fix the country's ills, and thus the fact that ills still exists must prove the president is not an ally. The only thing presidents wave magic wands to accomplish with absolute power happen thousands of miles away from the United States, and often end in someone being blown up.

I wish all this activism would result in state prosecutors, judges, state legislators, etc being targeted for change but that remains to be seen. And just as Bernie's supporters won't spark some monumental grass roots change in local politics, I don't expect most activists to either. In my experience most people who complain the most about "the system" are not interested in changing it, making it very hard for genuine activists to organize people.
what you think of the Murphy story

Teggy

Rep. Mark Walker ✔ @RepMarkWalker
Calling this a sit-in is a disgrace to Woolworth's. They sat-in for rights. Dems are "sitting-in" to strip them away

Someone needs a punch in the face.

Wilsongt

Someone needs a punch in the face.

Of course. It's all about taking away rights. Not about trying to curb mass shooting.

Oh yeah. I forgot. As long as that bukkake of NRA cash keeps flowing, American lives don't matter as long as guns can be sold as easily as possible.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That's it? I expected fuckery from what you were saying. Did anyone really think Cuomo wouldn't be leading the delegation? It's either him or Schumer.

i'm not sure you have to repeal the 2nd

i am, however, sure you have to overturn heller v. dc

Yea, Heller does need to go if we're going to get any real gun control. That's why the GOP is blocking Garland so much, they know he's going to side with the left wing of the court.

That's it? I expected fuckery from what you were saying. Did anyone really think Cuomo wouldn't be leading the delegation? It's either him or Schumer.

Yea, Heller does need to go if we're going to get any real gun control. That's why the GOP is blocking Garland so much, they know he's going to side with the left wing of the court.
The Facebook kvetching was worse

ampere

People having guns isn't controversial, it's which guns.

Yeah. For all the "sky is falling" talk by gun nuts, it's not like I'm the dictator and all guns are now banned (which I would def do). We just want some regulations, like no terror suspects buying guns and full background checks.

And might I just say:

This is why the Democratic Party matters.
This is why being a member of the Democratic Party matters.
This is why a Democratic Congress matters.

Clmer_6VEAEIB9P.jpg:large

Edit: Kathy Griffin RT Elizabeth Warren=gaygasm. YASSS QUEENS

benjipwns

Banned
And might I just say:

This is why the Democratic Party matters.
This is why being a member of the Democratic Party matters.
This is why a Democratic Congress matters.

Clmer_6VEAEIB9P.jpg:large

Edit: Kathy Griffin RT Elizabeth Warren=gaygasm. YASSS QUEENS
Doing irrelevant political theater in the name of restricting people's human and constitutionally protected rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom