• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg Sargent talked to the Sanders campaign, and sounds like there's more victories they've gotten from the platform than has been reported. Some really good stuff here

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...ing-some-big-victories-over-the-dem-platform/

According to Sanders adviser Warren Gunnels, they are mostly satisfied and believe they are off to "an excellent start"

The post office credit union idea is such a great policy. Only problem is that I fear it would be quite easy for republicans to gut such a program x years after its creation, and potentially screw a lot of people.

So, we now have an understanding of how the Muslim ban will work.

post-31164-who-goes-there-friend-or-foe-g-GEit.gif

Bowdz

Lmao, just lmao at the people getting upset at Lynch and Bill. I'd be pissed if ANYTHING came of the Bush email scandal where they lost 20 MILLION White House email hosted on RNC servers, but alas, this is a nothing burger (Joey Fox).

Also, you're all sleeping on Gingrich. He checks all of Trump's VP criteria while being a great debater and attack dog. He is a great choice for Trump because Trump doesn't give a shit about favorability.

I think the Lynch thing is a non-story but the outrage/coverage hurts, and more importantly it's another example of how much a liability Bill Clinton is.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If Santorum is somehow Trump's running mate...

Why can't he go away?! He's been part of my political consciousness for 20 years. Enough is enough already.

I mean, Gringrich is from Georgia, but yeah.
Gingrich is a highly intelligent professor, a well known conservative intellectual, and doesn't even have a southern accent. Besides, Georgia is a wonderful state. I don't know if Alabama has working plumbing yet.

I'll be legitimately excited by a Warren/Bachman debate. Please happen!

Also, I'm not worried about Trump getting replaced by the party for at the convention. The rift that'll cause will sink any replacement candidate's chances. All I am worried about is Trump himself quitting, and I can't see that happening.

ctothej

Greg Sargent talked to the Sanders campaign, and sounds like there's more victories they've gotten from the platform than has been reported. Some really good stuff here

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...ing-some-big-victories-over-the-dem-platform/

According to Sanders adviser Warren Gunnels, they are mostly satisfied and believe they are off to "an excellent start"

This is awesome. If Bernie staying in the race made this happen, maybe it wasn't so bad after all.

itschris

Washington Post: Donald Trump used money donated for charity to buy himself a Tim Tebow-signed football helmet

Did Donald Trump violate IRS rules, by using a charity's money to buy himself a signed football helmet?

Four years ago, at a charity fundraiser in Palm Beach, Donald Trump got into a bidding war at the evening's live auction. The items up for sale: A Denver Broncos helmet, autographed by then-star quarterback Tim Tebow, and a Tebow jersey.

Trump won, eventually, with a bid of $12,000. Afterward, he posed with the helmet. His purchase made gossip-column news: a flourish of generosity, by a mogul with money to burn. "The Donald giveth, and The Donald payeth," wrote the Palm Beach Daily News. "Blessed be the name of The Donald."

But Trump didn't actually pay with his own money.

Instead, the Susan G. Komen organization — the breast-cancer nonprofit that hosted the party — got a $12,000 payment from another nonprofit, the Donald J. Trump Foundation.

Trump himself sent no money. (In fact, a Komen spokeswoman said, Trump has never given a personal gift of cash to the Komen organization.) He paid the bill with money from a charity he founded in 1987, but which is largely stocked with other people's money. Trump is the foundation's president. But, at the time of the auction, Trump had given none of his own money to the foundation for three years running.

Geg

There have been like four or five new stories about dumb and possibly illegal shit Trump has done in the past within the last two days

This is not a valid critique. What is she supposed to do, send extra money to the IRS on principle?

That's the exact point the article is making; it's absurd to hold politicians to following a standard that does not yet exist when they propose policy changes. Hillary Clinton paying the tax rates that she owes and not the tax rates that she is proposing wealthy people should have to pay does not make her a hypocrite. Donald Trump advocating for isolationist policies while operating a clothing line that manufactures items overseas does not make him a hypocrite (there's plenty of other stuff that makes him a hypocrite). Saying "I am benefiting from a broken system, so let's change the system" does not make one a hypocrite; proposing those changes and then refusing to adhere to them after they are enacted would.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the Lynch thing is a non-story but the outrage/coverage hurts, and more importantly it's another example of how much a liability Bill Clinton is.
I think people fundamentally like Bill Clinton, which is why he can do whatever he wants and no one cares. Does this look bad? Sure. Is it bad? No one who wasn't already sold would change their minds. Why? Because it's Bill Clinton. People just like him.

Honestly I'm surprised he hasn't come out and apologized and given some folksy explanation of how his grandson is a sly dog or something.

That's the exact point the article is making; it's absurd to hold politicians to following a standard that does not yet exist when they propose policy changes. Hillary Clinton paying the tax rates that she owes and not the tax rates that she is proposing wealthy people should have to pay does not make her a hypocrite. Donald Trump advocating for isolationist policies while operating a clothing line that manufactures items overseas does not make him a hypocrite (there's plenty of other stuff that makes him a hypocrite). Saying "I am benefiting from a broken system, so let's change the system" does not make one a hypocrite; proposing those changes and then refusing to adhere to them after they are enacted would.

Again, my critique is not with their conclusions. It's with two of the three shitty points they tried to use to prove it. There is something hypocritical about bitching that other countries are taking our jerbs when you yourself send jobs overseas. You don't get to claim moral superiority by doing the thing you're rallying against because it's not technically against the rules. Trump is trying to make his economic argument about how we're being raped (his word) over trade. It's an easy target to hit him on, irrespective of economic reality.

Wilsongt

Oops.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2...break-for-rich-not-working-for-everyone-else/

In 2011 — the same year Scott Walker became governor — Wisconsin enacted a Manufacturing and Agriculture Credit (MAC) meant to stimulate the state economy by providing tax relief for those who use property for productive purposes. A new study indicates it’s providing lots of tax relief for the rich but not much economic stimulus for anybody else.

The Wisconsin Budget Project study finds that MAC is taking a much greater toll on the state budget than lawmakers envisioned. Though it was initially estimated that the credit would reduce tax collections by $129 million in fiscal year 2017, the Wisconsin Department of Revenue now estimates it’ll cost $284 million next year. That’s roughly $30 million more than the amount Walker and the Republican-controlled legislature cut from the University of Wisconsin System in 2015.

The study also finds that MAC disproportionately benefits the rich and has had a negligible impact on job creation.
Tax filers who make $1 million or more received 78 percent of the total credit amount this year, while those who make less than $300,000 got just seven percent. In return for that massive tax giveaway to the wealthy, Wisconsin’s manufacturing sector, which receives five out of every six MAC dollars, has actually shrunk relative to the rest of the state’s economy.

I'll be legitimately excited by a Warren/Bachman debate. Please happen!

Also, I'm not worried about Trump getting replaced by the party for at the convention. The rift that'll cause will sink any replacement candidate's chances. All I am worried about is Trump himself quitting, and I can't see that happening.

Also it's probably too late to even pull it off at this point. They'd need a replacement candidate ready and be getting a majority of delegates on board with the plan. Honestly I was never concerned about it happening because the GOP is too dysfunctional to pull it off anyway, but even if they weren't, it's not exactly the kind of thing you can throw together at the last minute.

Again, my critique is not with their conclusions. It's with two of the three shitty points they tried to use to prove it. There is something hypocritical about bitching that other countries are taking our jerbs when you yourself send jobs overseas. You don't get to claim moral superiority by doing the thing you're rallying against because it's not technically against the rules. Trump is trying to make his economic argument about how we're being raped (his word) over trade. It's an easy target to hit him on, irrespective of economic reality.

Donald Trump certainly could open factories in America and have his clothing line manufactured here. And Hillary Clinton certainly could send additional money to the IRS above and beyond what she owes. Why is one an example of hypocrisy and the other a false comparison? Because Trump uses incendiary language like "rape" and Hillary is more measured in her comments about how the extremely wealthy aren't taxed enough? They're either both hypocritical in some sense or neither is. I don't find either particularly compelling as an angle of attack, mind you; I think that someone can take advantage of policy and still argue that policy should be changed (the famous example of Warren Buffett paying a lower effective tax rate than his secretary, for example). The policy is what's important, not whether someone voluntarily does something they're not legally required to under the current set of rules.

Wilsongt

INDICTMENT INCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ions-of-lawyers-agents-on-clinton-email-probe

Attorney General Loretta Lynch said she "fully expects" to endorse the recommendations of career prosecutors and FBI agents investigating the security of Hillary Clinton's email server, but stopped short of recusing herself from the politically charged case.

In an interview in Aspen, Colo., Lynch said she regrets that her unscheduled meeting with former President Bill Clinton on a Phoenix airport tarmac this week has "cast a shadow" over the investigation into his wife's email practices at the State Department.
Attorney General Loretta Lynch said she discussed family, golf and travel with Bill Clinton — not ongoing Justice Department investigations.

"The most important thing for me, as the attorney general, is the integrity of this Department of Justice," Lynch said at the Aspen Ideas Festival. "And the fact that the meeting I had is now casting a shadow over how people are going to view that work is something I take seriously, and deeply, and painfully."

Lynch insisted the chat with Bill Clinton was focused on grandchildren and golf. But, she said, "I certainly wouldn't do it again."

The practical implications of the attorney general's announcement are perhaps less than meets the eye. In the vast majority of federal investigations, the nation's top prosecutor rarely weighs in, let alone overrules the judgment of lower-level lawyers and agents.

Indeed, Lynch said even before her airport conversation Monday that she has not been briefed on the "nuts and bolts" of the email investigation, and she could offer no evaluation as to when the investigation might end.

That's a matter of heightened political sensitivity, given that Hillary Clinton is preparing to accept her party's nomination for the White House at the Democratic National Convention later this month.

H. A. Goodman ‏@HAGOODMANAUTHOR 6m6 minutes ago

HRC TO BE "INTERVIEWED" BY FBI ON SATURDAY. AG Lynch promises to abide by FBI indictments. GAME OVER Hillary Bots. BERNIE SANDERS WINS SOON!
10 retweets 22 likes
H. A. Goodman ‏@HAGOODMANAUTHOR 2h2 hours ago

Gee, this security review is so weird! AG Lynch promises to abide by any recommendation from the FBI! CRIMINAL INDICTMENTS COMING FOR HRC!!!
58 retweets 107 likes
H. A. Goodman ‏@HAGOODMANAUTHOR 8h8 hours ago

#Bernie2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szToFPwCUCc … Loretta Lynch Promises To Accept FBI Recommendations Regarding Hillary Clinton Indictment

thebloo

Donald Trump certainly could open factories in America and have his clothing line manufactured here. And Hillary Clinton certainly could send additional money to the IRS above and beyond what she owes. Why is one an example of hypocrisy and the other a false comparison? Because Trump uses incendiary language like "rape" and Hillary is more measured in her comments about how the extremely wealthy aren't taxed enough? They're either both hypocritical in some sense or neither is. I don't find either particularly compelling as an angle of attack, mind you; I think that someone can take advantage of policy and still argue that policy should be changed (the famous example of Warren Buffett paying a lower effective tax rate than his secretary, for example). The policy is what's important, not whether someone voluntarily does something they're not legally required to under the current set of rules.

Meh, Hillary paid between 36% and 48% taxes, for this specific example. No loopholes, no bullshit. While Trump specifically says stupid shit like "stop eating Oreos, they're from Mexico".

It's an argument to make, but it's sooo pedantic that it just becomes a what-about-ism.

Meh, Hillary paid between 36% and 48% taxes, for this specific example. No loopholes, no bullshit. While Trump specifically says stupid shit like "stop eating Oreos, they're from Mexico".

It's an argument to make, but it's sooo pedantic that it just becomes a what-about-ism.

I have no qualms with the argument, although I do think it's a bit silly. My entire disagreement is two of the three examples they used are shitty and/or stupid. (although the first is slightly better than the tax one, tbh) .

From an electoral perspective, the smartest choice is Frothy, especially if you believe that your path of victory is through Pennsylvania. Not that I think Frothy plays well there, but he'd at least better than Crazy Michelle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom