• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think video games comparisons are a lot like sports comparisons.

Across generations, it's really tough to make.

Well sure, any title team today could beat any title team from the distant past. The '85 Bears would probably be rocked by Denver or Carolina last year. The rules are different, the players are bigger/faster, science/medicine advances, etc. That doesn't mean the '85 Bears aren't one of the greatest teams of all time. It's just not right to compare directly.

So when people talk about, say, Ocarina of Time but didn't grow up with it, I can understand not having a fondness for it.

But for me, Ocarina and SMB3 are probably the greatest games ever. Ocarina, in particular, was just mind-blowing at the time. I spent countless hours just exploring. Riding on a horse with the rumble-pack was like entering video game heaven.

That's not to say games today can't or aren't better. Loved Twilight Princess (and yes Skyward Sword is also awesome). But personally, nothing can ever top certain things because of the attachment I have.

Ocarina is on that list. I was just young enough where I could still be in awe of something like that and the game was great and fun and it was peak video game for me.

There is video of me at my 6th birthday party opening SMB3 gift from a friend and I pretty much had a seizure I was so excited. When do I get excited about anything like that, anymore?

I don't. :(

Anyway, my point is Ocarina is GOAT but that's personal. For people who are much younger than I, I can see how not.

On politics, interesting to see how quickly the GOP is avoiding talking about Trump.

Ck8LASLWEAAOjKe.jpg:large

untitled-2wqlki.gif

JESUS. Did they have a previous poll?

This is all still pretty early and probably shows how sensitive the polls are now more than anything else. But she still has quite a few good shoes waiting to drop--Bernie dropping out and prrrrrobably endorsing, the email monkey coming off her back, the convention bounce...

Plenty can happen and we're ages away from the election. But pants are no doubt being shat, regardless.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Open primaries AND same-day registration as a demand? Aside from the latter not being in the control of the DNC, if someone wants to vote in the Dem primary, but can't bring it upon themselves to register as an actual the Dem the actual day of the vote, then they have no business voting in it . . . PERIOD. This is a party function, get out of here with that nonsense.

Get rid of Superdelegates? After the shitshow that is the GOP candidate this year? Again, F off with that demand too.

You lost by nearly 4 million votes and hundreds of pledged delegates, count yourself lucky if you get to speak at the damn convention you freeloader that only became a Dem because it was the only way you'd get the national attention your narcissistic ass craves.

You..you do realize this would make it easier for minorities to vote, right? Like significantly easier?

I never thought I'd see the day where progressives were demanding more restrictive voting policies. Less restrictive voting policies, both for primaries and general election, disproportionately benefit minorities. Would have helped us in 2008 immensely for Obama. One primary election where it would have helped young voters (minorities and whites) and all of a sudden "Screw You Sanders".

You..you do realize this would make it easier for minorities to vote, right? Like significantly easier?

I never thought I'd see the day where progressives were demanding more restrictive voting policies. Less restrictive voting policies, both for primaries and general election, disproportionately benefit minorities. Would have helped us in 2008 immensely for Obama. One primary election where it would have helped young voters (minorities and whites) and all of a sudden "Screw You Sanders".

Indeed. And Clinton would still have won with these rules.

So what's the problem?

Iolo

Just heard a guy at work suggest Bernie could still win because 'anything could happen, including an indictment'

wegotone.gif

Wilsongt

Just heard a guy at work suggest Bernie could still win because 'anything could happen, including an indictment'

wegotone.gif

The Kool-Aid must be sweet and tasty. Continue to drink, for you will need the hydration when the salt begins to flow.

daedalius

How do these people they polled think TRUMP is better at handling a terrorist threat than Hills? I don't get it.

I mean, do they just want us to nuke them? Because I'm pretty sure that's what trump would do.

mo60

The RNC is not going to drop Trump no matter what he does in the next few weeks. They are not going to drop him because they will piss off there voter base if they did that.

Her just obvious happiness gets me every single time. Also that poll asked the people who could better deal with this type of issue if it were to happen again. Trump only leads her by 4 on that metric. That's great for us. Shows any bump he could get is going to be small like his hands.

royalan

There are multiple ways to make it easier to register people to vote that don't involve enabling independents to hijack a party's primary. Automatic registration, for one.

I want people who actually support the goals of the Democratic party and who have a long term interest in the goals of the Democratic party to choose who actually leads the Democratic party - if you can't remember to change your registration a month before the election, then I really don't feel that bad.

Yeah, the six month deadlines in New York are stupid, but so is the idea of letting a bunch of Republicans or wacky college anarchists voting in unelectable candidates on the local and state level.

mo60

Their voter base wants to win, if he's tanking he's out.

There voter base thinks the other guys that fought against trump in the primary were losers. They would be pissed if the republican nomination was taken away from trump and given to someone else that really did not work hard for it.

They aren't going to drop him. There is a zero percent chance of that. If they wanted to win over all else they wouldn't have voted for him.

If the "they" that you are referring to is the GOP voter base, they really do think that voting Trump equals a win over everything else. They believe that they're some sort of silent majority and that Trump will carry the day in November.

If the "they" that you are referring to is the GOPe, they don't want to shatter their base. If they could dump Trump right now with no harm to their coalition of voters, they would absolutely do so and run Rubio or Jeb! instead.

Their voter base wants to win, if he's tanking he's out.
The base doesn't believe he's losing. As long as republicans deny basic polling science and believe they are the "silent majority" they'll never change. You can bet that after Trump loses much of the far right will argue the establishment is to blame for shackling Trump.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Indeed. And Clinton would still have won with these rules.

So what's the problem?

So why not go all open primaries on the same day, get rid of caucuses and other restrictive voting, and remove super delegates?

Everyone keeps saying that superdelegates would have saved the party from Trump...that's not actually completely true. What got the GOP is that they do Winner Take All in many states, and that's what got Trump the lead. You need to remove WTA, add Dem delegation rules and add in the 20% super delegates in order to stop Trump.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trump-would-be-easy-to-stop-under-democratic-rules/

Voting in this country is insanely restrictive. I'm for opening them all up.

They aren't going to drop him. There is a zero percent chance of that. If they wanted to win over all else they wouldn't have voted for him.

There voter base thinks the other guys that fought against trump in the primary were losers. They would be pissed if the republican nomination was taken away from trump and given to someone else that really did not work hard for it.

Do you think he'd go quietly? It's a loss either way (assuming he's unelectable) but Keeping him prevents completely fracturing their party.

The party either way will be divided - between the elected officials and donors and *part* of the voter base.
So the big question is what option hurts the Senate and the House most, and you can make the case that Trump is too toxic for these candidates.
I think most officials have given up on the White House.

I don't really see how closed vs open primaries makes a difference with same-day registration, given that you can switch the day of anyway?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I remember the primary polls generally showing a higher percentage of republicans thinking Trump was most likely to win the general election than the percentage of republicans planning to vote for trump in the primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom