• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time I've seen this slogan...

"The silent majority stands with Trump."

0TU0uEd.png

Want to think they're already setting up for screaming "fraud" in the fall.

If I remember right, the Tea Party also liked to use the silent majority thing. Basically extremists who think the PC Police are shutting everyone up from speaking their minds.

That "silent majority" both amuses and irks me. The only way I can interpret it is that these people assume that all white people are as racist as they are, we just don't want to let on. Fuck them.

For anyone who may not remember, the term "silent majority" originated in speech that Nixon gave on the Vietnam war back in 1969.

Nixon's "Silent Majority" Speech

"Let historians not record that, when America was the most powerful nation in the world, we passed on the other side of the road and allowed the last hopes for peace and freedom of millions of people to be suffocated by the forces of totalitarianism.

So tonight, to you, the great silent majority of my fellow Americans, I ask for your support."

Polls appeared to indicate that a "silent majority" sided with Nixon. The day after the speech, as supportive telegrams and letters streamed in to the White House, an administration official clarified Nixon's concept of "silent majority": a "large and normally undemonstrative cross section of the country that until last night refrained from articulating its opinions on the war." (quoted in the New York Times, November 5, 1969)

Opponents of the war responded on November 15 with "Moratorium Day": 500,000 protesters gathered at the Washington Monument. Nixon was so confident the nation was behind him that he informed the press he was watching a football game as the rally unfolded. Positive public reaction to the "silent majority" speech had boosted his confidence. He pledged to continue the war and declared he would not permit U.S. policy to be "dictated" by a minority staging "demonstrations in the streets."

jiggle

"Alleged billionaire" might be the rudest thing you can call Trump. That will annoy him far more than anything else. I do love the attitude of "I don't need no SuperPAC to air the nasty shit, fuck off, Trump."
I think there's something even worse
Can't quite put my hand on it
Oh right
britney-spears-chaotic11.gif

Yeah, the interesting thing about Trump and his rallies is that he just lies about them. But this is nothing new.

Remember his announcement speech where he had to pay people to be there and he said "thousands?"

When it was in the lobby of Trump Tower.

Tbh I really don't feel or care much when I see people shit post Hillary. I just expect it so whatever

But this wave of Warren hate has fucking infuriated me. Like I've been hotheaded about it for days now.

After everything she's done, people just discredit her entire career because she did one thing they didn't like. Fuck every single one of these greentea party shit heads.

studyguy

/r/politics is literally a cesspool at the moment.
Even issues besides the primary/general get 0 traction.

Just that whole deal does nothing for political news anymore at all.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the only way Hillary loses is a) something happens with the FBI b) something happens with McAuliffe in Virginia (and if that fuckface costs Hillary the state, she should probably go rip his balls off) c) some new Clinton scandal erupts or d) there's just a massive downturn in turnout in key cities like Philadelphia. My hope is that Obama addresses d. I think a is most likely a nothing burger but you never know. I'm actually very worried about b. Someone tell me this is a nothing burger.

Teleprompter Trump is a C tier republican (seriously, he sucks and is boring) and non-Teleprompter Trump says one unacceptable thing a week.

I'll regret this post but I bet she wins by 3 points.

I think the only way Hillary loses is a) something happens with the FBI b) something happens with McAuliffe in Virginia (and if that fuckface costs Hillary the state, she should probably go rip his balls off) c) some new Clinton scandal erupts or d) there's just a massive downturn in turnout in key cities like Philadelphia. My hope is that Obama addresses d. I think a is most likely a nothing burger but you never know. I'm actually very worried about b. Someone tell me this is a nothing burger.

Teleprompter Trump is a C tier republican (seriously, he sucks and is boring) and non-Teleprompter Trump says one unacceptable thing a week.

I'll regret this post but I bet she wins by 3 points.

I feel like C and D are the most likeliest options.

I think she wins by 5, personally.

Guys (and gals) unless something major and unpredictable happens Hillary has got this.

I think the campaign's biggest question is whether to play it safe or go big and try to swing some states and further help the down ballot.

The "true" republicans have pretty much given up on Trump and are focused on saving the Senate and the House.

Emarv

I'm the legit optimist who thinks it's a landslide. Yeah, sure a massive terrorist attack or an indictment could change things, but I just don't see how Trump's negatives just don't keep growing. Once Obama starts, once her VP is picked, once people like John Dickerson picks him apart during the debates, once all of Trump's scandals continue to scare away the GOP, once the full force of Clinton's oppo comes out, etc.

I live in my landslide fantasy world and you guys can't bring me down!

Yeah, 5 is more realistic

Emarv

Tbh, I'm less concerned about the margin. I'm really interested in what states are actually in play. Not just for congressional makeup, but for future trends. What impact is Trump gonna have on states going forward?

Edit: I love everyone's big numbers here. That's what I'm talking about! LANDSLIDE!!

Trump said Romney choked like a dog in 2012. Hasn't every racist and fascist leader ever used that kind of diction?

Also, I want to add that Romney is a Mexican. He can't be a Republican because he has a conflict of interest.

I'd say the only way Hillary loses is a catastrophic event that benefits Trump (terrorist attack tied to Syrian refugee situation, for instance) or a 2008 style economic collapse. Hillary wouldn't be the nominee if the FBI issue was a serious threat or could go either way.

I'd say the only way Hillary loses is a catastrophic event that benefits Trump (terrorist attack tied to Syrian refugee situation, for instance) or a 2008 style economic collapse. Hillary wouldn't be the nominee if the FBI issue was a serious threat or could go either way.

Oh god. Everyone already fears a collapse if trump wins. Imagine the collapse during a collapse if one was already ongoing.

TopDreg

I'm seeing people on my Facebook feed post comparisons favoring Gary Johnson as a natural fit for Bernie Sanders supporters. What the hell is this delusion?

5 points is 2012 numbers plus demographics shifts. No way Hilary victory is that low, barring a major event or scandal which hurts her candidacy. I say she wins by 7-12 points. Too early to say with accuracy.

johnsmith

remember me
Trump said Romney choked like a dog in 2012. Hasn't every racist and fascist leader ever used that kind of diction?

Also, I want to add that Romney is a Mexican. He can't be a Republican because he has a conflict of interest.

Oh yeah. I forgot Romney's dad was one of the Mexican Mormons. I bet Trump doesn't know this. Somebody should let him know! By Trump's standards he's as Mexican as Curiel.

Wilsongt

Another Trump Flip Flop? Why I never!

Nah. Was reading a local, free weekly here where I live and our lovely Republican controlled legislature, who could barely pass a road repair bill and hasn't been able to touch ethics reform in years, wants to invoke state's rights to sue Obama. They sent a letter to our AG, Alan Wilson, who's father famously had a mental break during an Obama state of the union.

ampere

Invoking states' rights over Obama's bathroom directive.

Hm.

He definitely only took a stance on the issue initially to say "fuck you" to Cruz. He doesn't care at all about LGBT people

edit: Ah you weren't talking about Trump. He did say "states' rights" later on though http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/05/trump-transgender-issues-is-about-states-rights.html

5 points is 2012 numbers plus demographics shifts. No way Hilary victory is that low, barring a major event or scandal which hurts her candidacy. I say she wins by 7-12 points. Too early to say with accuracy.

Yeah I think 10 point range is entirely possible. Low turnout is my only worry, but Dems do show up for Presidential elections. I guess if low turnout is a concern we can all volunteer to register people/etc.

I'm seeing people on my Facebook feed post comparisons favoring Gary Johnson as a natural fit for Bernie Sanders supporters. What the hell is this delusion?

He doesn't like drones and likes pot! Ignore the part where he wants to destroy Social Security and massive cut taxes for rich people!

royalan

I'm the legit optimist who thinks it's a landslide. Yeah, sure a massive terrorist attack or an indictment could change things, but I just don't see how Trump's negatives just don't keep growing. Once Obama starts, once her VP is picked, once people like John Dickerson picks him apart during the debates, once all of Trump's scandals continue to scare away the GOP, once the full force of Clinton's oppo comes out, etc.

I live in my landslide fantasy world and you guys can't bring me down!

Yeah, 5 is more realistic

Basically.

The only two fears I have about the general at this point are:

1) The GOP growing a spine and ousting Trump at the convention, forcing Hillary and the Dems to completely reshuffle strategy. Highly unlikely, but I'll be concerned about this until the convention comes and goes. Seeing so many prominent Republicans come out against their own nominee is unprecedented, so who knows what cards are off the table.

2) Complacency. This race is going to look incredibly lopsided, and we're seeing it now. The Dems are out in full force, and the Clinton campaign has Trump running scared and so far all they've done is fire warning shots. Once we get deep into the GE and Hillary's just dunking on Trump daily, it's going to look like the presidency is already a done deal. And as the guys on Keeping it 1600 pointed out, it wouldn't even need to be a massive drop in turnout. Lower turnout in just a few key cities could be real cause for concern.

Wilsongt

I never realized how many people I play FFXIV with are Republicans. No wonder a lot of them don't talk to me a lot. The only gay in the FC as well as a flaming liberal, lol.

Don't care about the margin, it's all about the electoral college.

Win NC and Georgia.

Make them sweat Texas.

Let's see Kansas and Arkansas.

Basically.

The only two fears I have about the general at this point are:

1) The GOP growing a spine and ousting Trump at the convention, forcing Hillary and the Dems to completely reshuffle strategy. Highly unlikely, but I'll be concerned about this until the convention comes and goes. Seeing so many prominent Republicans come out against their own nominee is unprecedented, so who knows what cards are off the table.

2) Complacency. This race is going to look incredibly lopsided, and we're seeing it now. The Dems are out in full force, and the Clinton campaign has Trump running scared and so far all they've done is fire warning shots. Once we get deep into the GE and Hillary's just dunking on Trump daily, it's going to look like the presidency is already a done deal. And as the guys on Keeping it 1600 pointed out, it wouldn't even need to be a massive drop in turnout. Lower turnout in just a few key cities could be real cause for concern.

1 has such ludicrously high risk for the GOP (namely, backfiring and lowering the Trumpshirts' turnout enough that it's still a 5-10 point win anyway) that I don't think they would actually do it.

(2, I think, is gonna be overstated for all but certain demographic groups.)

studyguy

I never realized how many people I play FFXIV with are Republicans. No wonder a lot of them don't talk to me a lot. The only gay in the FC as well as a flaming liberal, lol.

My not defunct LS was largely alt-right memeshitters.
Ended up being the last one left owning the home, FC and resources.
Played that long game. My new LS group is fun enough.

Today, on the one hand: Donald Trump literally just hugged an American flag in the middle of a rally.

Today, on the other hand: someone I know unironically and uncritically shared a Russia Today FB post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom