• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

They won't. You were right. NY is gone :/

GU4e8.png

He got trolled.

Diablos

http://www.opm.gov/status/index.aspx

Federal Government in DC closing down.

Non-emergency employees (including employees on pre-approved paid leave) will be granted excused absence (administrative leave) for the number of hours they were scheduled to work unless they are:

required to telework,
on official travel outside of the Washington, DC, area,
on leave without pay, or
on an alternative work schedule (AWS) day off.

Telework-Ready Employees who are scheduled to perform telework on the day of the announcement or who are required to perform unscheduled telework on a day when Federal offices are closed to the public must telework the entire workday or request leave, or a combination of both, in accordance with their agencies' policies and procedures, subject to any applicable collective bargaining requirements.

Emergency Employees are expected to report to their worksites unless otherwise directed by their agencies.

Drek

Source? Why would they cut power?

To protect vital equipment in low lying areas.

The point is to help them bring everything back up quicker.
http://www.businessinsider.com/coned-could-preemptively-shut-down-power-in-lower-manhattan-2012-10

FYI, similar flooding was feared from a hurricane in 2011. The power outage was estimated to only effect 6500 residents and would last a maximum of three days. That was with their "worst case" scenario of leaving the equipment energized and letting it fry.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-08-27/local/30103677_1_con-ed-john-miksad-power

Chicken Littles.

pigeon

Banned
GU4e8.png

He got trolled.

Honestly, that looks like a coverup to me. Obviously the GOP interests behind the decision don't want people knowing until it's too late to reschedule the vote. I wouldn't feel secure until the 3 am deadline passes. And they don't say which time zone, so you should probably wait until 3 am Hawaiian time. Stay up if you can.

Honestly, that looks like a coverup to me. Obviously the GOP interests behind the decision don't want people knowing until it's too late to reschedule the vote. I wouldn't feel secure until the 3 am deadline passes. And they don't say which time zone, so you should probably wait until 3 am Hawaiian time. St up if you can.

We won't know who truly won the election until at least a week after it's called.

Does Romney's plan cut taxes for the middle class at all? I clearly remember seeing that chart that showed it raised taxes for everyone except for the very rich.

It cuts taxes on the middle class by 20% in income tax rates and eliminates taxes on capital gains for them.

He claims it's revenue neutral but in order for this to be true he'd have to raise middle class taxes. If he doesn't, then the cuts are legit but will baloon the deficit.

giga

Honestly, that looks like a coverup to me. Obviously the GOP interests behind the decision don't want people knowing until it's too late to reschedule the vote. I wouldn't feel secure until the 3 am deadline passes. And they don't say which time zone, so you should probably wait until 3 am Hawaiian time. Stay up if you can.
Exactly. Don't be fooled, guys.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Does Romney's plan cut taxes for the middle class at all? I clearly remember seeing that chart that showed it raised taxes for everyone except for the very rich.
From the Washington Post:

Before we get to that admission, a quick refresher. Romney’s tax plan proposes to cut tax rates by 20 percent. That would cost trillions of dollars, and mean a particularly big tax cut for the rich.

But Romney promises his tax cut won’t cost anything, won’t raise taxes on the middle class, won’t cut taxes on the rich, and won’t end the tax breaks for savings and investment.

The Tax Policy Center, the gold standard in nonpartisan tax wonkery, looked at the tax cut and these promises and declared the proposal “not mathematically possible.” Since Romney doesn’t want to touch tax breaks for savings and investment like the capital gains cut — a position he reiterated last night on “60 Minutes” — there just isn’t enough money in the remaining tax breaks for people making over $250,000 to pay for their tax cuts.

So the study Romney is promoting — the one he says is the study you should be looking at — actually shows even under the most favorable assumptions possible, he’s going to have to raise taxes on the people he defines as the middle class. In saying that that study is credible, he has admitted he can’t make his tax promises add up. And yet he constantly, repeatedly says the opposite.

Romney has clearly calculated that there aren’t many people who read these analyses. If he just keeps saying his tax plan can cut taxes on the rich while cutting taxes on the middle class while not cutting taxes on the rich while not costing a dime, eventually, his version of this will come to be seen as the truth. And perhaps he’s right. But the numbers show what they show.

Diablos

Exactly. Don't be fooled, guys.

So playing the other side of it, if Republican voting (not Dem) is down on election day and Obama "wins", how long till the Right blames the weather for their loss and how the election process should have a contingency for such things?

I could totally see that card getting played.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Come on dude, like we don't have enough trolling as is.

Diablos

Well Sandy is supposed to have a big 'ol orgy right in the dead center of PA which is heavily conservative, so yeah, I expect people to cry foul if Obama wins

So playing the other side of it, if Republican voting (not Dem) is down on election day and Obama "wins", how long till the Right blames the weather for their loss and how the election process should have a contingency for such things?

Every card will be played by the GOP. Race card. Weather Card. ACORN card. If there's a card of it, it will be used.

edit: PPP releasing Ohio between 6-6:30 EST

Drek

Another point we keep forgetting. Most third party candidates fizzle out, but I believe Goode could be steal a decent amount of votes from Romney in Virginia - just as Johnson should steal some from Obama in NM. The difference is that NM will go to Obama by a large margin whereas Virginia will be close enough for Goode to throw the state to someone.

The big concern with Goode is that his congressional district that he represented up until '09 is hardcore GOP country at this point. They voted for McCain last time, Bush twice, and even voted for Bob Dole over a second Clinton term.

It has a population of 640,000. Last election 235,000 of them voted. It wouldn't take too huge of a turnout for Goode in his home district to impact Romney's numbers.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Here's a brief list of the BS talking points I've heard today.

- Obama should have released his transcripts to Trump. (my personal favorite of the day)
- Obama has attended few security briefings while Bush attended nearly every one
- Obama has been on too many talk shows
- Obama has screwed up our relationship with Israel and lied about it in the debate
- Obama took credit for killing Bin Laden. "Did Obama go over there and kill him?"
- Obama is going to take care of Sandy and then compare that to Bush's handling of Katrina
- Obama doesn't place his hand over his heart during the Pledge of Alliegence
- Obama tried to cover up Benghazi by blaming a video
- Obamacare is bad
- Obama blames Bush too much
- Obama is a Muslim
- Obama is anti-colonialist (not 100% this is what I heard)
- Clinton is to blame for the recession and Bush tried to stop it by reigning in the banks (with specific mention of TARP)
- The stimulus was failed
- Romney's plan for Detroit was the correct one
- Half of the Army is full of gays
- Obama has asked the UN for people to monitor the elections (in a negative sense of course)
- Newt Gingrich should have gotten the nomination
- Obama is against everything America stands for

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are plenty of juicy ones I'm forgetting.

Kevitivity

So happy most people are smart enough to not take political marching orders from celebrities.

My election prediction. This election will ultimately come down to independent voters, who will swing towards Romney.

Romney will win the popular vote by 5 (+-2), and voting in swing states will be in line with this, giving Romney the EC votes he needs to win the election.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
So happy most people are smart enough to not take political marching orders from celebrities.

My election prediction. This election will ultimately come down to independent voters, who will swing towards Romney.

Romney will win the popular vote by 5 (+-2), and voting in swing states will be in line with this, giving Romney the EC votes he needs to win the election.

Yeah, I too am glad people don't actually think that voting for Romney will bring about the zombie apocalypse.

On the other hand, many of the voting public take their political marching orders from other celebrities like sarah palin and rush limbaugh is totally okay.

damn, forgot to put the PV estimate in my prediction. here is my revised prediction:

barack the islamic shock: 304, 51%
willard mittens: 234, 48%

VA called: 10:53pm.

you know what a good contingency for that is?

early voting.

NN5dS.jpg

Kinvara

- Obama should have released his transcripts to Trump. (my personal favorite of the day)
- Obama has attended few security briefings while Bush attended nearly every one
- Obama has screwed up our relationship with Israel and lied about it in the debate
- Obama took credit for killing Bin Laden. "Did Obama go over there and kill him?"
- Obama is going to take care of Sandy and then compare that to Bush's handling of Katrina
- Obamacare is bad
- Obama is a Muslim
- Clinton is to blame for the recession and Bush tried to stop it by reigning in the banks (with specific mention of TARP)
- Obama has asked the UN for people to monitor the elections (in a negative sense of course)

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are plenty of juicy ones I'm forgetting.

There's no way I could have dealt with so much bs.

I would've left the room.

- Obamacare is bad
- Obama is a Muslim

For all the Romney support, Obama seems to be on their mind the most.

My question to all the Obama haters that are voting for Romney would be the following:

Name 5 things specific about Romney that are making you vote for him. Answer this question without pointing to something about Obama you don't like and/or mentioning Obama at all.

Go.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
A talking point that probably emanates from Dinesh D'Souza, who somehow conflates anti-colonialism with anti-Americanism. My understanding of it is limited, since I've tried not to pay attention to him, but it's the sort of argument that lacks substance and is intended to veil a deeper dislike for Obama among lame buzzwords.

Man...I was just thinking about Ann Romney's "I Love You Women" remark. Probably the most tactless line ever. That was the most memorable speech from the RNC because it read like a second grader wrote it. It really stood out.

Kevitivity

My question to all the Obama haters that are voting for Romney would be the following:

Name 5 things specific about Romney that are making you vote for him. Answer this question without pointing to something about Obama you don't like and/or mentioning Obama at all.

Go.

Reduce the debt, simplify tax code, lower the corporate tax rate, give the DoD what they want (more ships, etc), get tough on China, backup up Isreal, kill Obama care,... I could go on but you asked for 5.

And btw, I'm NOT an Obama hater. I just think he has the wrong priorities and doesn't know how to lead.

Go.

This is the exact question I had formulated to ask my extended family members if it got brought up. Luckily, I live a long ways away from my family and they would know better than to bring it up in front of me anyway.

markatisu

Reduce the debt, simplify tax code, lower the corporate tax rate, give the DoD what they want (more ships, etc), get tough on China, backup up Isreal, kill Obama care,... I could go on but you asked for 5.

And btw, I'm NOT an Obama hater. I just think he has the wrong priorities and doesn't know how to lead.

LOL reduce the debt, simplify the tax code, and get tough on China

So simple why hasn't anyone ever tackled that before...

I assume Romney will do this with magic since nobody else on the planet has figured it out

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

But...but they said they don't want more ships. Also explain HOW he plans on doing all that, with specifics please. Preferably sourced. I mean if you support him for those reasons it should be easy to find how he's going to do it. It's not like he hasn't given any specifics and is just saying what people want to hear.

I wish Stein was closer to 5%. I'd love to vote for her, but I guess I'm throwing my support behind Johnson to try to get him there.

Obama's going to win here in Illinois anyways.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
There's no way I could have dealt with so much bs.

I would've left the room.

At some point, I stopped getting irritated and started laughing internally. I swear I heard over 90% of the GOP talking points mentioned at least once. To add to the list, I'm certain I heard "communist" uttered a few times.

It's not like I could have easily avoided it all. It was in a somewhat small house so I would been hearing it anway. I could have gone outside, but it's been freaking cold today and I forgot my jacket.

Cloudy

Banned

Democrats want easier access to the polls so unless they are talking about delaying future elections, that would be welcomed by the other side

Puddles

Banned

Your sorrow on election day is going to be especially delicious. Please make sure you post in this thread after the race is called for Barry.

That's cool. I'm not a Kevitivity hater, btw. I just think you know fuck-all about economics and policy, but you're unjustifiably belligerent with your opinions on both subjects considering your level of expertise.

Trurl

Banned

Why would anyone be worried about us screwing up our relationship with Israel? They're the dependent party.

What does "get tough on China mean?"

How is Israel not backed up?

Obama has proposed the same corporate tax rate as Romney.

Romney has given ZERO explanation on how he will reduce the debt that is credible. If anything, he's promised to make it much much worse.

edit: And the Pentagon did not ask for more funding. Romney is asking for more than they want. Also, the cognitive dissidence of "Reduce the debt" and "increase military spending" is stunning.

ivysaur12

Banned

Dad, is that you?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom