• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

diffusionx

Gold Member
In know, but I thought it was Sony-adjacent enough for the series to be there, especially with neither of the Nioh games having been ported to any other console platforms in the seven and four years since their respective releases.

No, I actually meant Uncharted (big, established PlayStation IP at the time, same as Horizon is in recent times) as in, well, Uncharted 4 not being delayed to 2016 back then. But you're right, there was The Nathan Drake Collection back in 2015, which in a way that could more or less fill the same slot as the Part I remake in 2022.

So you're telling me that you'd rather play a mediocrely received game such as The Order over Ragnarök, Forbidden West and Gran Turismo 7? Are you a gamer that cares about good games or just a petty console warrior that only cares about what platforms are listed on Wikipedia?

Oh, and how exactly did Bloodborne took advantage of the PS4 other than rendering at 1080p? Which honestly was the bare minimum for a 30fps PS4 game. In fact, having played Bloodborne for over 800 hours, I can confidently say that there's really nothing "next-gen" about it, and on top of that it runs like absolute shit. The only reason as to why the game is pleasing to look at is not due to FromSoftware's (inexistent) technical prowess, but due to their superb art design chops.

That rationale is so flawed, especially when within this console generation we have cross-gen games such as God of War: Ragnarök blowing PS5 only (which according to you would instantaneously mean "next-gen") games such as Stellar Blade out of the water graphically speaking.

And by the way, I want to remind you that Ragnarök, Forbidden West and GT7 all do provide improved visual fidelity and image quality, ultra-fast loading, DualSense features and, most importantly, 60fps modes in the case of Ragnarök and Forbidden West versus the 30fps of their PS4 counterparts. If none of that is worthy of a next-gen jump to you, not even the doubled performance across all these already visually striking games, then I don't know what to tell you, other than that you're out of your mind and have always been throughout the entirety of this discussion.
You really think Bloodborne could be on PS3? The levels and geometry are quite a bit more complex than what you had on Dark Souls or Demon Souls.

You really think Bloodborne could be on PS3? The levels and geometry are quite a bit more complex than what you had on Dark Souls or Demon Souls.
No way. It could barely run at 30fps consistently at 720p without anti-aliasing on a PS4. It needs a PC release ASAP.
Sad The Office GIF

Last edited:

Perrott

After an entire generation of pumping out visually arresting experiences of varying scope and structure, I'm sure Sony would've been able to help FromSoftware find a smart way to stream the entire Bloodborne world as you traverse through it, considering that there's little to no room in the game for the player to break away from the preestablished paths that make up the layout of the various levels. In that sense, it really isn't that much different to its predecessors.
No way. It could barely run at 30fps consistently at 720p without anti-aliasing on a PS4.
Uhh... Bloodborne runs at 1080p on PS4.

Last edited:

Borowski_1

After an entire generation of pumping out visually arresting experiences of varying scope and structure, I'm sure Sony would've been able to help FromSoftware find a smart way to stream the entire Bloodborne world as you traverse through it, considering that there's little to no room in the game for the player to break away from the preestablished paths that make up the layout of the various levels. In that sense, it really isn't that much different to its predecessors.

Uhh... Bloodborne runs at 1080p on PS4.

Put Dark Souls 2 on PS3 and Bloodborne side by side, and tell me if they look the same

Yes, but some of us really want the Pro just for Cernys ASMR tech talk.
I mean, it's pretty good ;)

Here is RDNA4 RT

Quite interested in seeing how both PS5 Pro and RDNA4 on the PC will be, I doubt they'll release high end GPUs but if they could deliver 7900XT performance at 400-500$ it's a heck of a deal especially with improved RT

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I'm ready for this 5Pro! Sitting here now with a 4Pro. It has been a great console too. I upgraded from the PS4 because I had upgraded my gaming TV from the Sony XBR910 CRT to a modern Sony X900E HDR 4K.
I have never seen my X900E display at true 4K 60hz, or at 120hz in any resolution. So I am looking to see this TV maxed out. I'm thinking the 5Pro will do it!

I would definitely temper your expectations, but the PS5 Pro will be a welcome to those of us who held out, disappointed with the PS5’s original specs. From what we have read, this is what the OG PS5 should have been.

Hopefully Sony’s lack of games this Gen is due to them waiting on a Pro machine release. I really, really hope that’s the case. At least once a Pro releases, that will be the death of the PS4.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I would definitely temper your expectations, but the PS5 Pro will be a welcome to those of us who held out, disappointed with the PS5’s original specs. From what we have read, this is what the OG PS5 should have been.

Hopefully Sony’s lack of games this Gen is due to them waiting on a Pro machine release. I really, really hope that’s the case. At least once a Pro releases, that will be the death of the PS4.
How can this be what the PS5 should have been and still launch in 2020?

The PS5 and Series consoles weren't created in 2020, that's just when they launched.

winjer

Gold Member

Guru3d's take on what each of these new RT features can do:

Double Ray Tracing Intersect Engine
The Double Ray Tracing Intersect Engine is expected to enable parallel processing of rays, potentially doubling the ray intersection performance compared to RDNA 3. This enhancement is designed to significantly boost the efficiency and speed of ray tracing computations.

RT Instance Node Transform
The RT Instance Node Transform feature aims to improve the handling of geometries by the GPU, allowing for more efficient transformations such as translation, rotation, and scaling. This should enhance the overall performance of the ray tracing process.

64B RT Node
A 64-byte RT node could enhance processing efficiency and reduce memory usage, allowing for more effective management of ray tracing data.

Ray Tracing Tri Pair Optimization
This feature is designed to optimize the calculation of ray-triangle intersections, reducing the computational load and improving performance.

Change Flags Encoded in Barycentrics
While the exact function of this feature is unclear, it likely simplifies the detection of procedural nodes, contributing to more efficient ray tracing operations.

BVH Footprint Improvement
Bounding Volume Hierarchy (BVH) footprint improvement could lead to faster grouping and processing of scene geometry, enhancing the speed and efficiency of ray tracing.

RT Support for OBB and Instance Node Intersection
Support for Oriented Bounding Box (OBB) and instance node intersection may offer higher precision and efficiency by using smaller bounding volumes, further optimizing ray tracing performance.

The development cycles take longer now, we know in 2025 and 2026 they'll have heavy hitters from all their major studios.

Honestly the Pro is a great mid gen upgrade for those who are enthusiasts. PSSR will also help to create a standard at least for First Party in terms of upscales...

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
How can this be what the PS5 should have been and still launch in 2020?

The PS5 and Series consoles weren't created in 2020, that's just when they launched.

My point is that it was the first generation where consoles underwhelmed with specs at launch. Historically we have seen new consoles rival, if not shorty exceed PC performance. That was never the case this gen, unfortunately.

Poordevil

I really have no firm expectations about how impressed I will be with the performance of the 5PRO over my 4PRO. I never even seen a PS5 in action. And like I said, my 4PRO does pretty well displaying games like Monster Hunter World or Sekiro or Elden Ring.
I talked to a guy who just recently upgraded to PS5 and the thing that impressed him the most about the console was the load times. He was telling me they were almost non existent. To him that was the most striking upgrade to the whole experience.

Perrott

Put Dark Souls 2 on PS3 and Bloodborne side by side, and tell me if they look the same
Of course they don't, they're each running on vastly different hardware... which doesn't automatically mean that Bloodborne was "next-gen" (in that it took great advantage of the PS4) in any way:
  • It's graphics were nothing special - with some areas showing low resolution textures and poor lighting, severely outdated animation systems throughout and the game not making use of any technological advancements of that era such as PBR. All of this made for a title that was several steps below other native PS4 exclusives - hell, most of the time it looked less sophisticated than The Last Of Us Remastered.
  • In terms of design, it also didn't do anything fancy that would've been impossible to realize on previous hardware.
  • And it also ran like shit, so it didn't even offer a smooth, high refresh rate to make up for its low technological ambitions - while the same year we had The Phantom Pain running at 1080p and rock-solid 60fps, with PBR, dynamic time of day and weather, in an open-world setting, while delivering compelling visuals at double the resolution and framerate of the PS3 and 360 versions, which actually made for an experience worth to be called next-gen on PS4.
Had it made financial sense (it didn't) to put out a PS3 version alongside the PS4 one, it could've been made without any structural sacrifices to the game that we know today.

Just like how Until Dawn (a next-gen game, according to you) was possible and already being made (an nearly content-complete) on the PS3:

Borowski_1

Of course they don't, they're each running on vastly different hardware... which doesn't automatically mean that Bloodborne was "next-gen" (in that it took great advantage of the PS4) in any way:
  • It's graphics were nothing special - with some areas showing low resolution textures and poor lighting, severely outdated animation systems throughout and the game not making use of any technological advancements of that era such as PBR. All of this made for a title that was several steps below other native PS4 exclusives - hell, most of the time it looked less sophisticated than The Last Of Us Remastered.
  • In terms of design, it also didn't do anything fancy that would've been impossible to realize on previous hardware.
  • And it also ran like shit, so it didn't even offer a smooth, high refresh rate to make up for its low technological ambitions - while the same year we had The Phantom Pain running at 1080p and rock-solid 60fps, with PBR, dynamic time of day and weather, in an open-world setting, while delivering compelling visuals at double the resolution and framerate of the PS3 and 360 versions, which actually made for an experience worth to be called next-gen on PS4.
Had it made financial sense (it didn't) to put out a PS3 version alongside the PS4 one, it could've been made without any structural sacrifices to the game that we know today.

Just like how Until Dawn (a next-gen game, according to you) was possible and already being made (an nearly content-complete) on the PS3:

Yeah, it was "running" on a PS3

That's why it looked like shit

Bloodborne looked a lot better than Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, Demon's Souls

Until Dawn looked a lot better than Heavy Rain and Beyond

You can't say the same about many exclusives this gen. Especially the cross-gen ones

Perrott

Yeah, it was "running" on a PS3

That's why it looked like shit
Until Dawn on PS3 doesn't "look like shit", it looks like a recording of an in-development version of a game that was meant for internal purposes only. The Last Of Us Part II also looked pathetic during the snippets we saw of its greenlight footage in the documentary.

And the footage I've shown you is proof that the final game would've been possible to be realized on PS3 with some adjustments to its visuals (because the PS3 is obviously not a PS4, if that's what you've been trying to argue all along), resulting in a cross-gen release that according to you would automatically disqualify it as a "next-gen" title.

Same with Bloodborne. So your arguments on what makes and doesn't make a "next-gen" game don't hold up.

Bloodborne looked a lot better than Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, Demon's Souls

Until Dawn looked a lot better than Heavy Rain and Beyond
So if they had cancelled the PS4 versions of GT7, HFW and GOWR and otherwise kept the look of those games as it is, then according to you that would've automatically made them next-gen as there wouldn't have been a PS4 version to directly compared them up against?

You can't say the same about many exclusives this gen. Especially the cross-gen ones
Oh, and I can say definitely say something better about all PS5 first-party games - cross-gen or not - released so far over this generation: they all are able to operate at double the framerate, while still boosting better visuals and image quality, than they do or would've been able to on the PS4.

Isn't that next-gen enough for you?

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
My point is that it was the first generation where consoles underwhelmed with specs at launch. Historically we have seen new consoles rival, if not shorty exceed PC performance. That was never the case this gen, unfortunately.
Hasn’t happened since 2005. The PS5 is actually much better for its time than the PS4 was.

Not even remotely true. A 290X or 780 Ti was like 3x the performance of a PS4 at launch.
I don’t think the gap was that large. It was more around 1.8x.

Last edited:

Xyphie

I don’t think the gap was that large. It was more around 1.8x.

PS4 would be below that 7870 somewhere. Maybe 85% the performance of it or so? But yeah maybe just ~2.5x or so, I just napkin math'd it from memory, either way the point stands, PC GPUs were massively better than the PS4 at the time.

Last edited:

Gaiff

PS4 would be below that 7870 somewhere. Maybe 85% the performance of it or so? But yeah maybe just ~2.5x or so, I just napkin math'd it from memory, either way the point stands, PC GPUs were massively better than the PS4 at the time.
PS4 is on the level of a 7850, yeah. I probably miscalculated due to the paltry 3 GB of the 780 Ti when the PS4 has 5.5 GB usable for games. Didn't remember the gap being that big.

Borowski_1

Until Dawn on PS3 doesn't "look like shit", it looks like a recording of an in-development version of a game that was meant for internal purposes only. The Last Of Us Part II also looked pathetic during the snippets we saw of its greenlight footage in the documentary.

And the footage I've shown you is proof that the final game would've been possible to be realized on PS3 with some adjustments to its visuals (because the PS3 is obviously not a PS4, if that's what you've been trying to argue all along), resulting in a cross-gen release that according to you would automatically disqualify it as a "next-gen" title.

Same with Bloodborne. So your arguments on what makes and doesn't make a "next-gen" game don't hold up.

So if they had cancelled the PS4 versions of GT7, HFW and GOWR and otherwise kept the look of those games as it is, then according to you that would've automatically made them next-gen as there wouldn't have been a PS4 version to directly compared them up against?

Oh, and I can say definitely say something better about all PS5 first-party games - cross-gen or not - released so far over this generation: they all are able to operate at double the framerate, while still boosting better visuals and image quality, than they do or would've been able to on the PS4.

Isn't that next-gen enough for you?

I'd say the same because they would still look like PS4 games

GoW 1-2 to 3 was a huge jump

3-Ascension to 2018 was a big jump

2018 to Ragnarok looks the same, despite being on PS5

Gaiff

I'd say the same because they would still look like PS4 games

GoW 1-2 to 3 was a huge jump

3-Ascension to 2018 was a big jump

2018 to Ragnarok looks the same, despite being on PS5
That’s because 3 is a PS3 game, 2018 is a PS4 game, but Ragnarok is still a PS4 game.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member

Guru3d's take on what each of these new RT features can do:
Exactly why I hate internet forum warriors. They never have the proper details and base everything off the currently released specs of today's stuff. If the PS5 Pro has aspects of this built into the new GPU and it's faster than current generation it's going to look fabulous and run better than anyone believes. Im stoked and have my money ready for paying off in full by the end of day one preorders!!

vivftp

That's my point. They should have made a proper PS5 game and drop the PS4

You're still going on about this? Allow me to explain this

- God of War Ragnarok was meant to launch in 2021, only 1 year into the gen. It got pushed to 2022 due to pandemic delays and Chris Judge's surgeries, but it was still meant to be a 2021 game
- The PS5 would not have had a large userbase in the first year, meaning potential sales of any PS5 exclusives would be quite small. This is why the cross gen period exists in the first place, so they can help recoup some of those dev costs during that period of time when the new console has a small userbase. This is important because these games are BLOODY FRIGGIN' EXPENSIVE TO MAKE!

These complaints are getting borderline pathetic at this point.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I really have no firm expectations about how impressed I will be with the performance of the 5PRO over my 4PRO. I never even seen a PS5 in action. And like I said, my 4PRO does pretty well displaying games like Monster Hunter World or Sekiro or Elden Ring.
I talked to a guy who just recently upgraded to PS5 and the thing that impressed him the most about the console was the load times. He was telling me they were almost non existent. To him that was the most striking upgrade to the whole experience.

Like you, this is partially why this generation, I picked up a Series S and went PC for Sony games. Granted, I also have had an issue with the massive size of the PS5 and the amount of games I play are far less nowadays than prior generations.

The Pro will hopefully come with a bevy of new games, a consistently 4K60 with Ray Tracing. All I really want though, is for Sony to start pumping out some AAA playable games. SOCOM, Killzone, Legend of Dragoon, SOMETHING!

I did finally give in and realize that PC is the future, with Sony and Microsoft going full multi-platform, we as consumers win.

Sw0pDiller

Anyone have any idea about pricepoint? Is there room for a pricedrop for the standard ps5? 399 ps5 would be a Nice position VS the next nintendo. Then a 599 ps5pro. Will it be possible?

demigod

This thread has had enough PC vs Console derailment, like half the pages are completely unrelated to the topic including my post now. It's not that funny anymore, assuming you were even joking and aren't another fanboy trying to start shit up.
“Redfall looks amazing, can’t wait.” You tell me.

Top Bottom