• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Zocano

Nightfall is a 280 activity, it doesn't need to be giving you 310+ stuff.

The problem is there aren't many 300+ activities, and trials "power" has never actually mattered. Adding a super nightfall will help a lot.

I hope the challenge modes are *actually* brutal. I think what this game needs is an absurd PvE activity right at the end. Like an actual raid that takes weeks of gearing up to actually beat even at "ready" level. I always liked that about MMO raids. They're broken up in a way that tells you you don't have to (and in fact can't) beat one when it initially comes out (this is speaking from FF14). No one beat First Coil of Bahamut for a whole fucking month after it initially became available. The problem with the Destiny raids is each actual encounter isn't really substantial enough to exist on its own unlike the subsections of First Coil so just doing a 5 min encounter and hitting a gear check wall is a bit souring. But I'd like a raid that's just 4 really intense encounters all separated by gear checks.

Zocano

And as far as the end-game loot sucking. Yah, I kind of agree. I, however, like the hive aesthetic so the gear design itself is fine for me and I don't think something so subjective really qualifies for calling end-game loot garbungle. I don't mind the RNG on RNG either. I think having armor pieces roll between different perks is fine and adds to a desire to keep rerunning the raid.

The problem is that the perks are garbage. Or at least several of them are. If you're going to have fucking sidearm reload as a perk, make some fucking sidearms instead of being all "HEY GUYS, NEW GUN ARCHETYPE, NOPE THAT'S ALL TWO OF THEM". The fuck is the point. Just have them roll between a handful of really strong perks, it's a raid for fuck's sake, just make them actually strong PvE guns.

Lastly no encounter should be dropping gear 10 light levels under it. That's stupid. Harder content should progress you. It doesn't need to drop 320 items, but getting a 310 roll is fucking silly shit. Even a single bit of progression is enough psychological play to make it "okay".

Oh, yeah, rolling "nothing" is stupid. I like that they at least let Oryx always have a guaranteed gear drop, but they really should just put in a token system at every encounter drop. They can give you "nothing" and still make you feel like you're working towards something.

GorillaJu

Pretty much done with all my raids this week and the ONLY progress I've made so far is going from 315 ghost to 317 ghost. No primaries in 2 weeks, never had a gauntlet drop, never had a helmet drop,

Two weeks of total stagnation. This is better than VOG forever 29 how?

I know this is an absolutely crazy idea, but some people actually play Destiny because it's fun to shoot stuff with friends. Getting upgrades is a nice goal, but if all you want is to get better gear with no intrinsic value and are not having fun doing it, maybe you should play a game that's more fun for you. No one is forcing you to compete in a futile race to have the highest light level, it's just going to be continuously made trivial as new updates inflate power levels across the board anyway, so what's the rush?

GutZ31

Thanks again drizzay for coming in to help with the raid.
Seriously thought we would wipe when 2 guys were down, but should have known I could count on you to keep things interesting.

3 manning Oryx for the 1% was pretty fun.

GorillaJu

Nightfall is a 280 activity, it doesn't need to be giving you 310+ stuff.

The problem is there aren't many 300+ activities, and trials "power" has never actually mattered. Adding a super nightfall will help a lot.

I hope the challenge modes are *actually* brutal. I think what this game needs is an absurd PvE activity right at the end. Like an actual raid that takes weeks of gearing up to actually beat even at "ready" level. I always liked that about MMO raids. They're broken up in a way that tells you you don't have to (and in fact can't) beat one when it initially comes out (this is speaking from FF14). No one beat First Coil of Bahamut for a whole fucking month after it initially became available. The problem with the Destiny raids is each actual encounter isn't really substantial enough to exist on its own unlike the subsections of First Coil so just doing a 5 min encounter and hitting a gear check wall is a bit souring. But I'd like a raid that's just 4 really intense encounters all separated by gear checks.

The problem for me is that if you hurry to create extra hard PVP encounters for the hardcore, it becomes more and more insurmountable for people not in the 1% of the 1% to get caught up. We're already seeing people just not running NM anymore, and there are lots of folk who aren't high enough LL for Heroic but can't get groups to learn the encounters and break ~305 through normal.

Deku Tree

Handing out HM KF totem CP...

If anyone needs it join up on me.

Might not check the thread too much though. I'll be here for a while.

Zocano

The problem for me is that if you hurry to create extra hard PVP encounters for the hardcore, it becomes more and more insurmountable for people not in the 1% of the 1% to get caught up. We're already seeing people just not running NM anymore, and there are lots of folk who aren't high enough LL for Heroic but can't get groups to learn the encounters and break ~305 through normal.

I think there's a paradox in your example. By that logic, there should be tons of people that you can still group up to play NM KF... it's just not here. Most of us are exactly that, those who eat up the content and exhaust it quickly and the wall of nothing quickly. That's just sort of the natural side effect of this style of progression.

However, other MMOs have a solution: matchmaking! I'm not entirely opposed to matchmaking but it pretty much has to be in only the scrub-tier raid content. FF14 did this and I think it works out fine. Pretty sure WoW has something like it to? And they typically give an incentive to the top % of players for hopping in this matchmaking to help out people who are still climbing progression.

_____

For what it's worth, I don't think the end-game is garbage. It's just sort of the minute amount we've typically gotten from Dark Below and Vanilla. You exhaust the hard mode and you're basically done. It's why I keep advocating for a super exceptionally difficult final bit of progression. One outside of the standard numbers progression. Say, make challenge mode 330, but it only drops 320 gear-- that gear just happens to be exceptionally powerful (think outlaw+firefly or actual unique and power weapons for PvE content).

thuway

Need some folks to help me on a Strike for my Touch of Malice. It's simple just needs people. I'm down for a Raid as well after. So we can group up. PSN Thuway

inthrall

In Year 1, Nightfall was a constant thing that stayed with you no matter how strong you became. The rewards were ALWAYS relevant.

Further evidence that this Light Level system is junk.

You want all rewards to always be relevant? Where does the power curve end?

Horohoro

Looking for 3 more people.
Starting at totems when we get them.

Kings fall HM raid psn ids:
1.TechMemphis
2.Kilau
3.Elit85

You want all rewards to always be relevant? Where does the power curve end?

At 320, hopefully.

What the light level system does is that the curve fluctuates far too much and doesn't really have an 'end' so to speak. Because of the random nature of light levels and gear drops themselves, you can't consistently go along that curve-you spike around it. You can get an item that skyrockets you to a high level, or that slightly nudges you forward to a higher level. Or you can get a worse item.

It's a mess. nightfall as such is useless, it's dumbfounded that Xur carries exotics at 280(For what reason, exactly..?), exotics decrypt at either 290 or 310 until you reach light level 311 in which case they seem to majorly decrypt at 310(Which again, unless you didn't have it before, is such an odd design choice since doesn't help you get higher), amongst a myriad of other things..

Top Bottom