• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

GhaleonEB

Just caught up on the posts here.

My two cents that no one asked for: I am (was? Fallout 4's fault.) an avid Destiny player. *insert Number of hours, things accomplished, stuff no one cares about, etc. etc. etc.* I've been playing since the Alpha, and I have to admit that DGAF is the greatest when it came to grouping up.

With KF, however... I can group up with everyone and do the NM raid all day to a point. Some mistakes can happen, and we can talk someone through it; no problem. I've been both the newbie who knew nothing and the veteran calling out runs.

I have yet to touch HM. And with the current setup, I don't want to.

I can (and have... multiple times... ask iRAWR) make mistakes; when those mistakes cause the entire group to wipe, it makes it more difficult for people to want to keep going. When those mistakes happen at the beginning, it's even more soul draining. I don't want to be 1 of 6 and cause the group to throw away 15+ minutes because I made a mistake and we have to wipe. And then it happening again and again.

I don't want to be a burden. I don't want any of you to come back here and go "Instant__Vintage is a scrubby scrub who can't do XYZ and you should never group with him." I know (hope) that none of you will say that... but I don't really want you to think it either.

I think I'll tackle HM at a lot later date, possibly once I hit 310 (at 306). We'll see.

Sorry, Bungie. I can't waste other people's time.

To pivot off of this, and add to all the other excellent comments - please consider the opposite side of this coin. If someone is in your group and is inexperienced, be patient as there are several mechanics in each encounter that feel quiet alien at first, and it can take a few runs to get a feel for it. It can be frustrating for those more experienced, but it's really difficult to learn with a group that is expecting perfection right away. Learning curves and all that.

I mention this because on my second raid run, we had one person in the group that really started yelling at me later in the raid. I was still learning the mechanics and goofed up at Daughters/Oryx a couple times and felt bad for the wipes, but felt like complete shit after being berated for it. Everyone knew it was my second raid but I took it on the chin anyways. It was so unpleasant I haven't run a raid since. (No idea who it was, was with DGAFers and some of their friends; not pointing a finger, more commenting on the experience as a whole.)

I have a friend who got TTK a couple weeks ago and will be ready for King's Fall this weekend, and I am hoping to run with some very patient DGAFers for it.

Off topic, but I've had my Galaxy S4 for 2 years now and I'm due for an upgrade. I'm thinking of getting the Note 5. I want 64GB because well, 32GB just doesn't cut it for me, especially with no expandable memory (damn you iPhone).

32GB @ Target on Black Friday is 1 freaking cent!! Heck of a deal. But I don't see a deal for 64GB. Best Buy has 64 GB right now for $149.99, which is super tempting. Especially since Verizon, my carrier, only accepts where you pay the phone in full or installments, but full price at the end.

Risk going to Target on Thanksgiving night (ugh) for 1cent or just get Best Buy's now and be content with 64 GB... or possibly try to get another deal..

flkraven

such a great post, I recently started playing and have put about 150 hours in since the ttk release - I have enjoyed most of my time.

- I have a 306 warlock and have run oryx on normal 2x with decent pugs - was really fun
- since those runs I've just waited to roll 310's to level my light because I've been made to feel like this multiple time.
- I definitely am a casual player even though the game consumed me for a couple of weeks
- I won't run raids anymore because I've been made to feel like I'm wasting other players time.
- I am so turned off by the attitude of most players who invite me to a team, even when saying I'm a casual player - god forbid if you have difficulty making a jump or falling off the platform during daughters cuz you get ripped/torn
- the abusive language, the bullshit attitude - I realized I just don't need it.

- FWIW - I loved the TOM quest, really enjoyed getting it and it really made the daughters and oryx fights fun on the second (and last) time I've run the raid.

Odds are you are a PS player but if you happen to be on XB1 feel free to add me. GT: flkRaven

tumblr_m8gciseLOx1ruz9j7.gif

Hahaha yes!!

Followed by.

She's a great actress. One of my favorites!

Although I think Milana Vayntrub replaced her. She's so funny

Just caught up on the posts here.

My two cents that no one asked for: I am (was? Fallout 4's fault.) an avid Destiny player. *insert Number of hours, things accomplished, stuff no one cares about, etc. etc. etc.* I've been playing since the Alpha, and I have to admit that DGAF is the greatest when it came to grouping up.

With KF, however... I can group up with everyone and do the NM raid all day to a point. Some mistakes can happen, and we can talk someone through it; no problem. I've been both the newbie who knew nothing and the veteran calling out runs.

I have yet to touch HM. And with the current setup, I don't want to.

I can (and have... multiple times... ask iRAWR) make mistakes; when those mistakes cause the entire group to wipe, it makes it more difficult for people to want to keep going. When those mistakes happen at the beginning, it's even more soul draining. I don't want to be 1 of 6 and cause the group to throw away 15+ minutes because I made a mistake and we have to wipe. And then it happening again and again.

I don't want to be a burden. I don't want any of you to come back here and go "Instant__Vintage is a scrubby scrub who can't do XYZ and you should never group with him." I know (hope) that none of you will say that... but I don't really want you to think it either.

I think I'll tackle HM at a lot later date, possibly once I hit 310 (at 306). We'll see.

Sorry, Bungie. I can't waste other people's time.
Really tho DGAF, this guy name iRAWRasaurus is a scrub. I heard he broke his controller back during HM Crota. He must suck that much to rage break his controller :p

Frankly speaking I dont care wiping, everyone make mistakes. As long as everyone is having fun playing the game...

DROOL. Might be my #1 of all time

Edit: Holy embarrassing top of page.
lewd

I enjoy long thought out posts, regardless of tone. I wouldn't ignore any thoughts because as you said, it'll no longer be 100% genuine then.

The main feel of the past month+ has been "raid loot sucks", including posts I've made to confirm that situation across both platforms. Helpful? Not really, but it is what it is. If a lot of us feel strongly about 1 thing, then it's not an anomaly, imo. There will always be 1-offs where some people are just lucky and see no problems with the current situation. Or in terms of PvP, some that really enjoy the static pulse rifle meta.

Well I did a month without posting about The Last Word. How about a month without criticizing Destiny?

Start the countdown.

Ji66a-Man

NF 2 = Telesto (310 infusion material), no strike legendary
NF 3 = 294 Vanguard Ghost (wormspore and hive glimmer), 290 Does Not Bow.

Went 0 for 3 on Taniks Cloak this week on PS, but 2 for 3 on Xbone. Fuck it, gonna keep running this strike until I get a damn cloak.

Mindlog

HM has only been around for 5 weeks (counting this week). So that's a max of 15 runs if you ran it every week with all three characters.
That's how many potential loot drops?
A significant portion of my loot drops have been harrowed 310.
None of my loot drops have been 319 or higher.

WAI

3 Nightfalls shortly if anyone needs them. We may need 1.
Really tho DGAF, this guy name iRAWRasaurus is a scrub. I heard he broke his controller back during HM Crota. He must suck that much to rage break his controller :p

Frankly speaking I dont care wiping, everyone make mistakes. As long as everyone is having fun playing the game...
Word.

GhaleonEB

Went 0 for 3 on Taniks Cloak this week on PS, but 2 for 3 on Xbone.
I got 20 strange coins, while my friend playing a Warlock also got 20 strange coins. He got the Hunter hood, I didn't get one. Sadness happened.

I'm going to run it several more times this week, dammit. I want that cape.

Quantum

Odds are you are a PS player but if you happen to be on XB1 feel free to add me. GT: flkRaven

I liked destiny post TTK launch so much initially I was playing it on both consoles - I'm not console centric, although the vast majority of my play time has been on the xbox one - initially to play with my nephews, realizing that when I play for more than 4-5 hours in a row the xbox controller feels more comfortable (personal preference only).

I will add you this evening/after work, although since recently feeling somewhat useless in destiny I've been running around the remains of Boston on my PC.

Went 0 for 3 on Taniks Cloak this week on PS, but 2 for 3 on Xbone. Fuck it, gonna keep running this strike until I get a damn cloak.

Tough luck, I got 2 cloaks from 3 nightfalls yesterday.

The auto rifle is trash, basically free marks.

Afrocious

I feel ya. Got me the cloak on my first NF run on my Warlock. You'll get it on PS.

Xeyark

Unconfirmed Member
such a great post, I recently started playing and have put about 150 hours in since the ttk release - I have enjoyed most of my time.

- I have a 306 warlock and have run oryx on normal 2x with decent pugs - was really fun
- since those runs I've just waited to roll 310's to level my light because I've been made to feel like this multiple time.
- I definitely am a casual player even though the game consumed me for a couple of weeks
- I won't run raids anymore because I've been made to feel like I'm wasting other players time.
- I am so turned off by the attitude of most players who invite me to a team, even when saying I'm a casual player - god forbid if you have difficulty making a jump or falling off the platform during daughters cuz you get ripped/torn
- the abusive language, the bullshit attitude - I realized I just don't need it.

- FWIW - I loved the TOM quest, really enjoyed getting it and it really made the daughters and oryx fights fun on the second (and last) time I've run the raid.

I guess I've just gotten lucky (or smart?) and only played KF with really great, supportive groups. Even the ones where I just jumped in to help a group finish an Oryx kill, the people were just fantastic and really understanding for any mistake. Even a group I got with from the100 was great and eager to help people do their best.

LTWood12

I hate that this has been your experience with the raids. I had a few of those experiences in the past, but since playing with people here I rarely have a bad experience as far as the actual interactions. Usually if people are yelling at each other it's because they've played together a bunch.

bitsurugi

Good games Gutz, Frenden, Illini & Co.

Such a nice, relaxed IB afternoon, did all bounties across all 3 chars, lag was still there, but not as much as on Control.

Was fun, see you guys tomorrow for more!

I got 20 strange coins, while my friend playing a Warlock also got 20 strange coins. He got the Hunter hood, I didn't get one. Sadness happened.

I'm going to run it several more times this week, dammit. I want that cape.

I've love for Nightfall rewards to be tiered. You get four rewards total guaranteed:
  • 1x Exotic / Legendary
  • 1x Currency Drop (Strange Coins, Three of Coin, Glass Needles)
  • 1x Consumable Drop (A nice stack of telemetries or an antiquated rune)
  • 1x Commendation
Make it really feel like a nice generous reward. The heroic already gives you a legendary engram guaranteed, 3 times a week. And currency drops don't feel exciting. It's basically a delayed drop/chance of a drop. Variks gives free consummables every week once you hit rank 3, so no real difference here. And the old NF was a huge source of rep, not just from the buff, but the actual strike, so getting a commendation you could spend whenever you wanted would be great.

I hate that this has been your experience with the raids. I had a few of those experiences in the past, but since playing with people here I rarely have a bad experience as far as the actual interactions. Usually if people are yelling at each other it's because they've played together a bunch.

Or just a bunch at the Daughters....

giphy.gif

;)

phen0m24

Off topic, but I've had my Galaxy S4 for 2 years now and I'm due for an upgrade. I'm thinking of getting the Note 5. I want 64GB because well, 32GB just doesn't cut it for me, especially with no expandable memory (damn you iPhone).

32GB @ Target on Black Friday is 1 freaking cent!! Heck of a deal. But I don't see a deal for 64GB. Best Buy has 64 GB right now for $149.99, which is super tempting. Especially since Verizon, my carrier, only accepts where you pay the phone in full or installments, but full price at the end.

Risk going to Target on Thanksgiving night (ugh) for 1cent or just get Best Buy's now and be content with 64 GB... or possibly try to get another deal..

You won't catch me on a store on Thanksgiving or BF. Everything online. Hope you find a deal dude! Check slickdeals!

lewd

R2 R2 R2 R2 R2 R2 uh oh another controller bites the dust

Rawr you're always super patient and super awesome. :)

Well I did a month without posting about The Last Word. How about a month without criticizing Destiny?

Start the countdown.

I tweeted Luke. You saw that I'm sure. No reply
yet

for all we know, you typed The Last Word a hundred times in a text file on your computer every day to make up for it

Nah he wrote a doctoral dissertation on the physics behind projectile accuracy in video games
in general, of course
;)

flkraven

I liked destiny post TTK launch so much initially I was playing it on both consoles - I'm not console centric, although the vast majority of my play time has been on the xbox one - initially to play with my nephews, realizing that when I play for more than 4-5 hours in a row the xbox controller feels more comfortable (personal preference only).

I will add you this evening/after work, although since recently feeling somewhat useless in destiny I've been running around the remains of Boston on my PC.

No worries. I frequently play with a set group but find myself with a spot or 2 available sometimes. We are a very patient group/clan, and we try to get everybody through everything. Last week we ran our whole clan through the Black Spindle quest, we've gotten everyone the flawless raider achievement, helped everyone through all the raids, and help with just about everything else.

LTWood12

My very first fight w/ Oryx, I gave up my spot so that someone else could come in and help the others get it done. It was DrDrizzay and 3 or 4 of us first timers. We wiped for a solid two hours without making much of a dent. I invited Raybunzy to the chat and asked if he would come in and fill my spot. He was over 300 at the time, and it made a big difference. They were able to get the kill. What was important to me in the moment was helping my friends have a good experience, and the best way for me to do that was to leave. I was pumped when I got the text from T-44 that they'd beaten it in the middle of the night.

All that to say, I don't think someone offering to bow out so that someone better equipped can come in to help is bullshit. I'm sure I was probably responsible for a number of wipes on that first run, and I wanted to do what I could to help other people get it done. In that case, it was finding a replacement for myself and bringing them in. As time goes on this is going to become less and less needed because everyone will be geared up and familiar enough w/ the encounters to get it done. Plus the stakes won't be as high since you'll usually have quite a few people in there they don't even really 'need' loot.

tl;dr I'm actually a nice person, and I don't yell at newbies (unless you're JoM).

You won't catch me on a store on Thanksgiving or BF. Everything online. Hope you find a deal dude! Check slickdeals!

R2 R2 R2 R2 R2 R2 uh oh another controller bites the dust

Rawr you're always super patient and super awesome. :)

I tweeted Luke. You saw that I'm sure. No reply
yet

Nah he wrote a doctoral dissertation on the physics behind projectile accuracy in video games
in general, of course
;)

Thanks, I always check Slickdeals first! They mostly post deals on Unlocked Phones haha. Target opens at 5pm I think? But Cell Phone activation is at 9pm so the normal crowd shouldn't be as crazy, then :p

Gammacide

I feel ya. Got me the cloak on my first NF run on my Warlock. You'll get it on PS.
Same here. Got it on my first one this week after a weak attempt to farm it in the playlist last week. Now the only issue is I have it up to 304 but the next highest cloak I have on my hunter is 316. :-/ Vault it is for now I guess. :(

SheHateMe

306 is low for Oryx, but fine for pretty much everything else. I'd be happy to run HM with you sometime. I'm afraid some of my posts are coming across as 'if you ever die i don't want to play with you', which is totally not what I was saying :(

You are great. Don't ever think otherwise. I would LOVE to run with you, if we could get our schedules to sync. (Tonight after 10PM EST is a perfect example.)

And your posts didn't come across like that. I'm just offering a perspective from someone who has never touched HM.

flkraven

My very first fight w/ Oryx, I gave up my spot so that someone else could come in and help the others get it done. It was DrDrizzay and 3 or 4 of us first timers. We wiped for a solid two hours without making much of a dent. I invited Raybunzy to the chat and asked if he would come in and fill my spot. He was over 300 at the time, and it made a big difference. They were able to get the kill. What was important to me in the moment was helping my friends have a good experience, and the best way for me to do that was to leave. I was pumped when I got the text from T-44 that they'd beaten it in the middle of the night.

All that to say, I don't think someone offering to bow out so that someone better equipped can come in to help is bullshit.
I'm sure I was probably responsible for a number of wipes on that first run, and I wanted to do what I could to help other people get it done. In that case, it was finding a replacement for myself and bringing them in. As time goes on this is going to become less and less needed because everyone will be geared up and familiar enough w/ the encounters to get it done. Plus the stakes won't be as high since you'll usually have quite a few people in there they don't even really 'need' loot.

tl;dr I'm actually a nice person, and I don't yell at newbies (unless you're JoM).

I don't think it's bullshit at all. If you are well underleveled or not confident in your skill for a certain fight, people should definitely bow out until they are either more confident or better geared. Completely agree with you there.

What I disagree with as a general idea is the hardline 'facts' that people state unequivocally when discussing who/who isn't able to run the hard raid. You see this in places like DestinyLFG, reddit, and even here. People treating light level like it used to be treated (ie level 33 v 34). It's gotten to the point where 310+ has been carved in stone as a minimum requirement to complete the raid, and any skilled player feels inadequate for even contemplating a run below 310.

I'm just saying that 310+ doesn't really matter. Sure it's an easy way for people to evaluate one another but it is heavily flawed in that weapon damage and armor isn't separated out. If someone can do enough damage to stagger oryx (ie. ToM) and can do enough damage to the shade (high impact sniper/HMG), and is able to survive hiding on a platform and detonating bombs, then LL doesn't matter at all.

LTWood12

You are great. Don't ever think otherwise. I would LOVE to run with you, if we could get our schedules to sync. (Tonight after 10PM EST is a perfect example.)

And your posts didn't come across like that. I'm just offering a perspective from someone who has never touched HM.

Having a family get together tonight for my son's 4th bday. Grandparents have got him a Power Wheels Mustang, and I anticipate spending the better part of the evening watching him drive circles around in our garage :)

I will keep you in mind next time I do a run!

I don't think it's bullshit at all. If you are well underleveled or not confident in your skill for a certain fight, people should definitely bow out until they are either more confident or better geared. Completely agree with you there.

What I disagree with as a general idea is the hardline 'facts' that people state unequivocally when discussing who/who isn't able to run the hard raid. You see this in places like DestinyLFG, reddit, and even here. People treating light level like it used to be treated (ie level 33 v 34). It's gotten to the point where 310+ has been carved in stone as a minimum requirement to complete the raid, and any skilled player feels inadequate for even contemplating a run below 310.

I'm just saying that 310+ doesn't really matter. Sure it's an easy way for people to evaluate one another but it is heavily flawed in that weapon damage and armor isn't separated out. If someone can do enough damage to stagger oryx (ie. ToM) and can do enough damage to the shade (high impact sniper/HMG), and is able to survive hiding on a platform and detonating bombs, then LL doesn't matter at all.

I agree w/ you mostly. I've completed it multiple times with 306/307s in the group. Pretty sure my Warlock was 307 on my first HM kill. That said, I don't fault anyone here for putting in 310 as a minimum for joining the group for Oryx. People have different schedules, obligations, etc. and sometimes they just want to get it done quickly.

GutZ31

Google Fiber is coming to my area at the beginning of next year, and I am planning to switch to it soon after.
My current ISP, Time Warner Cable seems to be sweating bullets, because my internet was upgraded from 15Mb/s down, 1Mb/s up, to 50Mb/s down, 5Mb/s up at no additional charge.

They could have kept me if they cared to do this as soon as their technology, and infrastructure allowed it, but they only do it now when they can't compete.
Fuck off TWC, you only have me for a few more months.

LTWood12

Google Fiber is coming to my area at the beginning of next year, and I am planning to switch to it soon after.
My current ISP, Time Warner Cable seems to be sweating bullets, because my internet was upgraded from 15Mb/s down, 1Mb/s up, to 50Mb/s down, 5Mb/s up at no additional charge.

They could have kept me if they cared to do this as soon as their technology, and infrastructure allowed it, but they only do it now when they can't compete.

Truth.

SheHateMe

Yeah, TWC is garbage.

Google Fiber is Y1 VoC tier. So good.

It was a godsend when AT&T showed up at my door and offered Fiber for my neighborhood.

As in, they literally knocked on my door and said, "Hey, we put fiber in your neighborhood if you are interested."

Naturally, having been forced to be a comcast customer for the previous 8 years, I jumped on that shit like nothing.

What's awesome is I'm pretty sure I'm on some sort of Bungie approved host lists for their games. Because my connection is so solid, I get deemed host more often than not, and when I'm not, it's likely my wife who's upstairs on her PS4. :p

I'm not joking when I say it gives me an edge on my shotgun game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

You sound like an excellent candidate for a KF newbie raid, even though you're technically not new to the raid itself. I have no tolerance for the kind of abusive language/berating/blaming attitude you reference here. It sounds like you'd enjoy the environment, and having a TOM is immeasurably helpful for the whole group. There is one spot left for tomorrow night at 8pm EST if you are interested in joining.

Afrocious

I'm down with doing KF HM fresh and a separate Oryx HM kill on a diff guardian, but today I'm going to focus more on Iron Banner and having fun in Crucible.

That's after gym though. Been a bit over a week since I last lifted and I'm getting lethargic. Don't think I'll ever squat past 250 at this rate.

I know Raleigh, NC is getting it, but I'm not sure when. TWC can seriously fuck off though. I hate them and their monopoly where I am.

LTWood12

You sound like an excellent candidate for a KF newbie raid, even though you're technically not new to the raid itself. I have no tolerance for the kind of abusive language/berating/blaming attitude you reference here. It sounds like you'd enjoy the environment, and having a TOM is immeasurably helpful for the whole group. There is one spot left for tomorrow night at 8pm EST if you are interested in joining.

When are you going to run HM Hawkian? Feels like we've lost you.

hadar

How do you guys handle the slow feeling of Glide? It'st just the jump but trying to go from Titan to Lock and it feels like everyone else is running laps around me :(

Afrocious

How do you guys handle the slow feeling of Glide? It'st just the jump but trying to go from Titan to Lock and it feels like everyone else is running laps around me :(

You get used to it. My main is a warlock and I just watch people fall to their deaths.

You don't glide basically. You just double press the jump button in midair. Just pretend you don't have a glide unless you're going to
Make a big jump and need to survive a fall.
Or if you're playing pvp, use blink.

The warlock jump is great for platforming because you can adjust your jump almost at any time, but it's not ideal for avoiding damage.

Top Bottom