• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

2real4tv

Oh hey, this game is still a thing. I'll be back for some Iron Banner fun on sunday most likely. Tempered Buff is pretty OP and would easily be enough to get all my characters to Rank 5 in no time. Otherwise, back to Fallout!
Same for me haven't started IB rather wait for buff.

Kyoufu

I get what you're saying, but the community manager is the voice those developers talk through.

Yeah, Deej is more of a "I'm listening" type of person, while someone like Luke is more of a "I'll tell you how it is" type of person.

Keep in mind Deej doesn't really play destiny like we do. He wouldn't be able to relate to our issues anyway.

I'm perfectly fine with Luke popping in here every so often with the occasional cameo appearance by Urk.

I agree, but 90%+ of the player base needs to be managed without getting their feelings in a twist over some strange/unclear wording, so both are valid really

Don't get me wrong, DeeJ and Cozmo have their jobs to do. They're not being paid for no reason.

But a conversation with a developer who plays the game like we do is far, far more valuable. Take DeeJ's Weapon Parts comment for instance. He's still stuck in April 2014 where the player base had thousands of armor and weapon parts. He didn't realise that we used them up on weapon reforging and now infusing light levels in Year 2. Luke would understand our pain, DeeJ would just tell us how he still has a ton.

Besides that, I'm interested in answers from developers over design decisions. Like, why did they choose to go with the current Light level system in place? My guess is they wanted us to feel like we're progressing bit by bit each night/week we log in, but then why does the loot system in King's Fall not comply with that? I'd love to have conversations over things like this tbh.

Also good luck Kor, I hope you get the job. Honestly, Bungie could do far worse than hiring hardcore players to help improve their games. I mean, wasn't Luke Smith a Halo fanatic before he joined them? :d

LTWood12

Take DeeJ's Weapon Parts comment for instance. He's still stuck in April 2014 where the player base had thousands of armor and weapon parts. He didn't realise that we used them up on weapon reforging and now infusing light levels in Year 2.

His comment didn't even speak from his own experience. He had to tell us how many his boss had. For a game like Destiny, it just boggles my mind that the community manager doesn't play his own game enough to understand where the community is coming from on issues.

edit: By no means am I endorsing the Fuck this Fuck that type stuff.

Kyoufu

His comment didn't even speak from his own experience. He had to tell us how many his boss had. For a game like Destiny, it just boggles my mind that the community manager doesn't play his own game enough to understand where the community is coming from on issues.

It depends. Some people are able to play a game they work on or are around a lot for their jobs, and some people just want to get the hell away from it when they get home. DeeJ is likely the latter and I can't blame him really. He has to deal with a lot of random idiots every day and that can take the fun out of things.

I don't know why the fact that he said his boss was sitting on xxx weapon parts must mean that he doesn't play the game enough to understand the community.

If I pointed out that someone in my clan has 1000 parts, that has no reflection on how much either myself or my clanmate plays the game. It simply means that person has a ton of parts.

Good luck.

Did you include a link to your destiny tracker profile and your k/d on your resume?

Good luck!

Good luck man. If you get it, pls refer me. You have no idea who I am or if I'm a good worker or not but I watch your stream sometimes so that has to count for something.

Thanks, guys.

It's not a fancy job or anything. I'm just hitting this point in my life where nothing I seem to do makes me feel happy about my current situation. So it's time for a major change.

I basically got out of the military, had a couple of private sector jobs for 6 years, and then got a government job.

IT works pays for shit unless you have a union or work for a great company, and of course, now that I work within a union, my job is slow and boring as fuck.

The wife calls it a "Return to Saturn" or something. Something about around the age of 30 you get this itch to really start doing what you want to do for the rest of your life, no more stepping stone jobs, its time to buckle down and do what you want.

So I applied to Bungie, can't hurt. :p

I didn't even mention that I play the game, though. For some reason, I felt that would have been unprofessional, so I left it off.

phen0m24

Truelize played against Deej and Cozmo on XB1 last night. Wish he had saved that video.

I wish he had my kid on his team. They would have mowed deej down. :)

Kyoufu

I didn't even mention that I play the game, though. For some reason, I felt that would have been unprofessional, so I left it off.

Actually, Bungie does say in a lot of their job postings that they prefer people experienced in MMOs, shooters and best of all, Destiny itself.

I believe their raid designer position is asking for somebody that has experience in high level endgame content with other MMOs.

phen0m24

Thanks, guys.

It's not a fancy job or anything. I'm just hitting this point in my life where nothing I seem to do makes me feel happy about my current situation. So it's time for a major change.

I basically got out of the military, had a couple of private sector jobs for 6 years, and then got a government job.

IT works pays for shit unless you have a union or work for a great company, and of course, now that I work within a union, my job is slow and boring as fuck.

The wife calls it a "Return to Saturn" or something. Something about around the age of 30 you get this itch to really start doing what you want to do for the rest of your life, no more stepping stone jobs, its time to buckle down and do what you want.

Hope you get it Kor. If you think that feeling is bad at 30, just wait.... :(

Actually, Bungie does say in a lot of their job postings that they prefer people experienced in MMOs, shooters and best of all, Destiny itself.

I believe their raid designer position is asking for somebody that has experience in high level endgame content with other MMOs.

If the job I was applying for was related to actual content creation in the game, I would have.

Since it's not, I decided to omit the info.

I've gotten so far behind in my coding, that I don't think I could even apply for some of those positions without taking a few certification courses first.

I haven't touched VB in a year, and I can't even remember the last time I touched C#.

XenoRaven

Thanks, guys.

I ran into that Return to Saturn thing at about 22 when I was working at a bus dealership with no degree. Played Halo 2 on Legendary on a whim, beat it, saw the credits, got jealous, and decided I wanted to work at Bungie. I joined the military to help pay for school and after 6 years I got a job working as an analyst at a software company, and I'm taking online classes for my Comp Sci degree. I don't know if I'll ever make it to Bungie, or if I'll even like game design, but I think just by virtue of pursuing your dreams and interests, a lot of different paths can open up for you.

LTWood12

It depends. Some people are able to play a game they work on or are around a lot for their jobs, and some people just want to get the hell away from it when they get home. DeeJ is likely the latter and I can't blame him really. He has to deal with a lot of random idiots every day and that can take the fun out of things.

I can totally sympathize with that. But community manager is a specific position, centered around engagement with the community. Generally the hard-core community at that. For a game like Destiny, it just seems common sense that you would expect the person in that position to play the game a lot.

I don't know why the fact that he said his boss was sitting on xxx weapon parts must mean that he doesn't play the game enough to understand the community.

If I pointed out that someone in my clan has 1000 parts, that has no reflection on how much either myself or my clanmate plays the game. It simply means that person has a ton of parts.

I completely disagree.

darthbob

I applied for a job at Bungie last week. If I stop posting as much, then you'll know I've become a double agent.

>_>

Good luck.

I applied there a while back ago for a Test position. I live in WA and can make it there, so I figured I had a shot.

They never contacted me back.
They don't love me. ;_;

Hope you get it Kor. If you think that feeling is bad at 30, just wait.... :(

Yeah, it's been rough. The government job has enough benefits that I can just swallow the feeling, and let it be, but now my wife is rounding the corner and she is getting to be the same way.

It sucks, we're both very professional people and are crazy adaptable to almost any job, but it still is hard to find something without experience in certain areas.

Cade

I'm tempted to dust off an old chestnut I'd nominated during one of the previous down times. It was popular at the time and I'd have an appropriate The Last Word ready to roll, but it's a tad on the negative side. Fingers crossed that Bungie finally gives us something to look forward to before the end of this OT.

The problem with a title referencing the down time is either (1) we'll be stuck with it a long time and/or (2) something exciting will happen to pick things back up and the title won't be relevant. Most OTs are gone so quickly it's easy for the title to stay relevant while the current title is broad enough to cover the slack.

Yeah, I'm just joking around. I hope Bungie gives us some breadcrumbs cause lord am I starving for content right now.

---

Man, going from Battlefront to Destiny is weird. Maps are so tiny and there's supers everywhere and grenades that home in and shit.

I completely disagree.

That expressing the amount of weapon parts someone else has doesn't reflect on how much someone plays the game?

I take it from your short reply that you don't want to get into it. I will say though that I don't understand how you reach that conclusion so confidently.

Hey Luke, if you are reading this, put in a good word for me.

I'm not going to tell you which application is mine, though. So just tell the guys in HR that guy from Illinois seems like a damn good candidate. I'm probably the only person that fits that bill, right?

Hey Luke, if you are reading this, put in a good word for me.

I'm not going to tell you which application is mine, though. So just tell the guys in HR that guy from Illinois seems like a damn good candidate. I'm probably the only person that fits that bill, right?

I didn't know you were in IL too.

IL Boys!

Kyoufu

The short of it is Deej doesn't know his audience so delivers news how he perceives it to be

Another thing is, we're the 1% of the 1%. Destiny has sold millions upon millions and a large majority are super casual players. DeeJ caters to them over us and I get that.

I didn't know you were in IL too.

IL Boys!

Hecks yeah. Grew up in East St. Louis and moved to Springfield after my military days.

Another thing is, we're the 1% of the 1%. Destiny has sold millions upon millions and a large majority are super casual players. DeeJ caters to them over us and I get that.

The flaw here, though, is that the average Destiny player doesn't read the BWU, or check reddit on a regular basis. They just play the game.

So while his writing isn't aimed at us, he's talking to people that don't even know he exists.

LTWood12

That expressing the amount of weapon parts someone else has doesn't reflect on how much someone plays the game?

I take it from your short reply that you don't want to get into it. I will say though that I don't understand how you reach that conclusion so confidently.

In a vacuum, I see where you're coming from. But let's say that someone comes to me and is telling me about their Toyota Tundra. If I respond to them with, 'yeah my brother bought a Tundra last year and absolutely loves it.' You would assume from that statement that I DON'T own a Toyota Tundra. If I did, my first instinct would be to respond from my own personal experience.

Look at all the posts in here around the economy nerf patch. Almost every post was either, "i only have x # of parts what the hell?!", or "I have xxx parts, I don't see how you people run out all the time." I don't remember anyone popping in to tell us how many parts their friend Breezy Limbo has
(he discarded all of his by accident)

I understand where you're coming from, and it's absolutely valid. But this is where I'm coming from.

edit: I like Toyota Tundras. I do not own a Toyota Tundra. My brother owns a Toyota Tacoma.

Hecks yeah. Grew up in East St. Louis and moved to Springfield after my military days.

Nice! I've never been, but my GF keeps telling me she's taking me down there for a Horseshoe! If and when that ever happens I might send you a PM. Always good to meet a fellow GAFer.

I grew up in the Western Suburbs and live North East burbs now.

GhaleonEB

ship has long sailed
I will forever fight the good fight.
I'm all for keeping gaf and DGAF classy and I don't like the negative bad language personal attack posts in the slightest, but I see no evidence that this is the reason Deej doesn't post here... Bungie people regularly post on b.net and that place can be a cesspool. Reddit can be pretty horrible at times too. The kind of post you are describing is pretty tame by b.net standards.
I was less talking about Deej in general and just Bungie. As for B.net, they wield the ban hammer over there. :p

I wasn't insulting Deej with that post. Just being a bit tongue in cheek about the BWUs. Remember when he trolled us about his boss having a million weapon parts?

I do think Bungie reads these threads, there may even be Bungie plants among us.

Anyway, someone ping me when DestinyGAF gets featured on Community Focus.
Guess I didn't interpret that as tongue in cheek. The weapon part comment in the BWU was indeed tone deaf but I just read posts saying Deej is telling the community to fuck off at face value, since I see that sentiment in the mix here. It's frustrating.

FWIW, there's absolutely been a degradation in tone in DGAF over the past year, which I've been in here actively fighting against with posts like the one at the top of the page and some gentle taps of the ban hammer, but it's a hard fight. My big fear? We degenenerate to the level HaloGAF was at, in the end. I was basically the unintentional founder of that sub-community, and saw the full arc from a positive community if cynical/jaded to something we the GAF moderation team pulled the plug on. I love Destiny and this community and do not want to see it go that route (we're nowhere near close, I'm talking trajactory), so when I read comments like "fuck Bungie" it absolutely gets my attention, because I've seen this exact story before. We should be better than that.

Mindlog

Yeah and I have no problem with players that can't play as much as others. What really gets under the skin is the consistent passive-aggressive tone that is all too common in certain workplaces. Horrid flashbacks.

"We underestimated how adjusting the weapon part drop rate would affect certain players and neglected to include a method for those players to overcome the shortfall. The issue will be addressed shortly."
A bunch of words of words and a promise thrown together. Fine, let's move on.

"Many players have amassed a large stockpile of weapon parts. I know someone with 1.5k. Now let's help them get to 2k."
c76cXrS.png
I mean after a while you get used to it, but there are better ways to communicate. You can be snarky and funny as long as you don't undermine player concerns. It's much better to be self-deprecating if you really have to be funny with that stuff.

So far in IB i had the following;
Warlock: 2 gauntlets, one at 289, the other at 296. 2 Ib hand cannons, literaly one after the other. Both at 28 something. chest piece at 299. Rank 4 now. Artifact at 310

Hunter
Chest piece at 299. Gauntlests at 295, hand cannon at 297, artifact at 310.

Have not started titan yet

Also saw someone get gauntlets at 304 as a drop

Casuals won't keep the game going though and Bungie are going to have to recognise that. You only have to look at trophy stats to see how much end game stuff is actually completed, or relatively minor stuff like have all legendary gear or an exotic equipped. Nor should I imagine would casuals shell out for silver

Edit and like Kor says they probably don't even read or know about the weekly nopedate

Nice! I've never been, but my GF keeps telling me she's taking me down there for a Horseshoe! If and when that ever happens I might send you a PM. Always good to meet a fellow GAFer.

I grew up in the Western Suburbs and live North East burbs now.

I've only been up north like 4 times. Once to ski, and the others were just mini-vacas to the Navy Pier and such.

If you ever find your way down here, eat at a place called "Charlie Parker's" best fucking breakfast food for 1000 miles. I swear their scrambled eggs have morphine in them or something. I haven't hard a horseshoe myself, the vegetarian thing makes that difficult.

I've only been up north like 4 times. Once to ski, and the others were just mini-vacas to the Navy Pier and such.

If you ever find your way down here, eat at a place called "Charlie Parker's" best fucking breakfast food for 1000 miles. I swear their scrambled eggs have morphine in them or something. I haven't hard a horseshoe myself, the vegetarian thing makes that difficult.

Will do! Thanks for the tip!

So far in IB i had the following;
Warlock: 2 gauntlets, one at 289, the other at 296. 2 Ib hand cannons, literaly one after the other. Both at 28 something. chest piece at 299. Rank 4 now. Artifact at 310

Hunter
Chest piece at 299. Gauntlests at 295, hand cannon at 297, artifact at 310.

Have not started titan yet

Also saw someone get gauntlets at 304 as a drop

I'm going to bank all my IB gear and then evaluate all of it at the end.

darthbob

The flaw here, though, is that the average Destiny player doesn't read the BWU, or check reddit on a regular basis. They just play the game.

So while his writing isn't aimed at us, he's talking to people that don't even know he exists.

Why there isn't a billboard or a terminal in the Tower that people can read the BWU from is beyond me.

I've been advocating for BWU integration in their games for years! Since Halo 2 lol

Why there isn't a billboard or a terminal in the Tower that people can read the BWU from is beyond me.

I've been advocating for BWU integration in their games for years! Since Halo 2 lol

It's built into the PS4 UI.

There is actually a button that says something like "Update history" or something that takes you to a page that just says, "Go to Bungie.net for more information."

Seems like such a wasted opportunity.

Maybe not the tower, because of resource problems, but the director would be a great place. Put it in one of the corners like the credits for the game.

I will forever fight the good fight.

I was less talking about Deej in general and just Bungie. As for B.net, they wield the ban hammer over there. :p

Guess I didn't interpret that as tongue in cheek. The weapon part comment in the BWU was indeed tone deaf but I just read posts saying Deej is telling the community to fuck off at face value, since I see that sentiment in the mix here. It's frustrating.

FWIW, there's absolutely been a degradation in tone in DGAF over the past year, which I've been in here actively fighting against with posts like the one at the top of the page and some gentle taps of the ban hammer, but it's a hard fight. My big fear? We degenenerate to the level HaloGAF was at, in the end. I was basically the unintentional founder of that sub-community, and saw the full arc from a positive community if cynical/jaded to something we the GAF moderation team pulled the plug on. I love Destiny and this community and do not want to see it go that route (we're nowhere near close, I'm talking trajactory), so when I read comments like "fuck Bungie" it absolutely gets my attention, because I've seen this exact story before. We should be better than that.

I agree 100% percent. Despite the anger and possible resentment "we" as a community feel towards Bungie. We must have behave with more civility and not denigrate each other.

darthbob

Would be great, but we need grimoire integration first.

Yes, this. Please. So much.

Maybe not first, but Grimoire integration needs to happen at some point. Probably Destiny 2.

It's built into the PS4 UI.

There is actually a button that says something like "Update history" or something that takes you to a page that just says, "Go to Bungie.net for more information."

Seems like such a wasted opportunity.

Maybe not the tower, because of resource problems, but the director would be a great place. Put it in one of the corners like the credits for the game.

This would likely be the best option. Both consoles are very capable of opening a browser while an app is running in the background.
sorry 360/ps3

LTWood12

I agree 100% percent. Despite the anger and possible resentment "we" as a community feel towards Bungie. We must have behave with more civility and not denigrate each other.

Something in my brain tends to skip posts by people w/ 'xxx' before and after their name. Same for my psn friends list. But I read your post, and I'm glad I did. i need to fight that part of my brain. You're a good
thin white
dude.

edit: Top of page Toyota Tundra gif
1411289771_1389535684_tpskzj_e7z1.gif

Yes, this. Please. So much.

Maybe not first, but Grimoire integration needs to happen at some point. Probably Destiny 2.

This would likely be the best option. Both consoles are very capable of opening a browser while an app is running in the background.
sorry 360/ps3

I think the problem is with their patching process, though.

Patch notes seem to be a step that takes place after the patch has gone through. Notice we hardly ever have patch notes prior to a patch, it's usually after, sometimes an hour or two after the patch.

I disagree.

Patch notes are important to a larger amount of people that grimoire is.

Not everyone cares about the extended story stuff. Meanwhile everyone cares to know their hand cannons now suck, or their super is temporarily broken.

Patch notes sure, but not the Weekly Updates. All around they need less things in game that say go to BNET to read about this.

Something in my brain tends to skip posts by people w/ 'xxx' before and after their name. Same for my psn friends list. But I read your post, and I'm glad I did. i need to fight that part of my brain. You're a good
thin white
dude.

edit: Top of page Toyota Tundra gif
1411289771_1389535684_tpskzj_e7z1.gif

giphy.gif

Top Bottom