• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Dez_

1 more hour!
Until we get flooded by people asking where the update is.

At least we can say that Destiny is not dead anymore. For now.

Edit: I might have time to download the update and go through my engrams today before I have to leave. Hoping the update is closer to the 10am PST mentioned. Either way, it's going to mainly be Dark Souls 3 after work night.

Matt Frost

No

If you're going to make up rumors at least google the name of the Traveler

I am not making up any rumours, is what I heard from what I think is a trusted source. Up to you to believe it not, I dont know what to think about those things as well. And I dont need to look up his name, what for? I am not making anything up...

This has all been publically speculated except what you are saying about the size of the fall 2016 expansion. It's not insider information. And it could be fan fiction.

So $60 fall 2016 expansion? Or $50?

Thats what I heard. But I am just the "messenger". But I trust, so probably will be bigger than TTK. And probably 50$ like The Taken King

Lee

The team-average Elo system is flawed and invites manipulation. Look at the top players and they all either (a) find low Elo but competent players to bring down their average and ensure gains or (b) have friends purposefully lose to drop their Elo to the same end.

That said, it gives Destiny's competitive players something to strive for and compete over and I'm glad it's around. I didn't really notice when it was "released" and I bet a lot of others didn't either. I played a lot of trials with random folks from LFG without checking stats and it's been tough to recover from that.

I imagine people will take that little number more seriously this time around.

Shito

This has all been publically speculated except what you are saying about the size of the fall 2016 expansion. It's not insider information. And it could be fan fiction.

So $60 fall 2016 expansion? Or $50?
From what I've heard of the September expansion, it seemed to me it would be of the same scale of TTK in terms of size and new activities.
But I shall not discuss it more, if only because plans can change in only a few months. :)

But yeah, I would expect something akin to TTK.

RIP The Zone Control dream

Edit When you break it down TTK wasn't that big as there was a hella lot of padding with endless quests to get weapons of varying quality etc..

Jesus Christ...

Can we seriously not go a week without hearing about Marty in the media...

Dude has a spotlight complex on par with pre presidential candidate Trump.

RIP The Zone Control dream

Edit When you break it down TTK wasn't that big as there was a hella lot of padding with endless quests to get weapons of varying quality etc..

TTK had structure, which is what Vanilla Destiny was lacking completely. I don't think it's fair to call quests padding since most of them had their own unique missions attached to them.

Frenden

Banned
Eh, that's fine for me--reset that shit. The hand cannon nerf might as well have included, "Frenden's rolling KD reduced from 2.0 to 1.3," in the patch notes.

It wasn't until T R U C K E R L A W that I had a Y2 primary I liked and was performing at Y1 pace. All it took was a god roll Eyasluna and the Doctrine
(RIP)

It took me a while Y1 to get rolling, so I was fighting an extremely negative KD by going highly positive for the last month or so of Y1. I ended up with, like, a 1.2 KD on the first year or something. I was soooo ready to take that progress into Y2, but killing my main weapon archetype was a bummer.

I'm too old and inflexible and inelastic to learn new primary metas constantly, haha. My only hope for this patch is that some AR or HC is viable. I got comfortable with the Doctrine and some math folks on Crucible Playbook seem to think it will need only one more bullet to kill.

LTWood12

Jesus Christ...

Can we seriously not go a week without hearing about Marty in the media...

Dude has a spotlight complex on par with pre presidential candidate Trump.

TTK had structure, which is what Vanilla Destiny was lacking completely. I don't think it's fair to call quests padding since most of them had their own unique missions attached to them.

No kidding. Marty should take a break.

The team-average Elo system is flawed and invites manipulation. Look at the top players and they all either (a) find low Elo but competent players to bring down their average and ensure gains or (b) have friends purposefully lose to drop their Elo to the same end.

That said, it gives Destiny's competitive players something to strive for and compete over and I'm glad it's around. I didn't really notice when it was "released" and I bet a lot of others didn't either. I played a lot of trials with random folks from LFG without checking stats and it's been tough to recover from that.

Guarduan.gg started tracking ELO at the beginning of year 2 Trials.

But yeah you mostly have to manipulate the system to get much above 2k, with twink accounts etc. Of course some people are legitimately good enough to consistently carry two sub-1200 players but that's pretty rare. Personally I gave up caring awhile ago. All I care about for Trials is (1) playing with friends for fun, and (2) playing with newbies, virgins etc. who want help getting better. Let the stats fall where they may.

Lee

I'm too old and inflexible and inelastic to learn new primary metas constantly, haha. My only hope for this patch is that some AR or HC is viable. I got comfortable with the Doctrine and some math folks on Crucible Playbook seem to think it will need only one more bullet to kill.

I play at 1 sensitivity and it really holds me back sometimes but I feel the same way. Too old and inflexible to relearn how to play.

How did that joke on Reddit go? I switched to 1 sensitivity and I've never looked back.

Daemul

lol nice. Reason #1282 to not give a damn about ELO. At least mine was "set in stone" just over 2k, so that's something nothing.

I have never understood why people get so invested in rating systems used by 3rd party sites that Bungie has nothing to do with, first it was DTR and now it's ELO. People sure must love chasing useless numbers.
KuGsj.gif

Shiv47

Eh, that's fine for me--reset that shit. The hand cannon nerf might as well have included, "Frenden's rolling KD reduced from 2.0 to 1.3," in the patch notes.

It wasn't until T R U C K E R L A W that I had a Y2 primary I liked and was performing at Y1 pace. All it took was a god roll Eyasluna and the Doctrine
(RIP)

It took me a while Y1 to get rolling, so I was fighting an extremely negative KD by going highly positive for the last month or so of Y1. I ended up with, like, a 1.2 KD on the first year or something. I was soooo ready to take that progress into Y2, but killing my main weapon archetype was a bummer.

If a weapon with a rate of fire as high as the Doctrine has only had a change that small (if indeed that proves to be true), then why even bother? It's a bullet hose, after all. Hopefully it is something that unnoticeable.

I have never understood why people get so invested in rating systems used by 3rd party sites that Bungie has nothing to do with, first it was DTR and now it's ELO. People sure must love chasing useless numbers.
KuGsj.gif

We're humans, we crave labels.

We like to know where we stand on our skills since so many aspects of our live can't properly be rated or categorized.

Magik

Anyone wanna group up once the update hits?

My plan is:

- Turn in blue/purple engrams to clear some room
- Run all the new missions/strikes
- Nightfall x3
- CoO x3
- ???
- Profit

x_Magik_ox psn

Anyone wanna group up once the update hits?

My plan is:

- Turn in blue/purple engrams to clear some room
- Run all the new missions/strikes
- Nightfall x3
- CoO x3
- ???
- Profit

x_Magik_ox psn

Going to be messing with packages and engrams for at least half an hour I think then free to run stuff :)

KuGsj.gif

It's fun to see where you rank among other players. It's not a number I would really chase, but being able to see my Elo climb in Trials while also seeing how much better I was getting at PvP in general was kind of cool.

Daemul

We're humans, we crave labels.

We like to know where we stand on our skills since so many aspects of our live can't properly be rated or categorized.

Yeah I get that, but wouldn't it make more sense to spend time doing that on an official ranking system overseen by Bungie, since that would give the chase more legitimacy?

I mean I love chasing numbers as much as the next guy, if Bungie ever introduced a ranking system in Destiny I would be all over it and trying to get to the top, but I ain't wasting my time chasing a number on some random 3rd party site which has no impact on the game.

Frenden

Banned
If a weapon with a rate of fire as high as the Doctrine has only had a change that small (if indeed that proves to be true), then why even bother? It's a bullet hose, after all. Hopefully it is something that unnoticeable.

I hope so. If the nerf is akin to missing one shot while trained on a target, that ain't bad. One measly more bullet to kill means the Doctrine will probably still be viable.

All this is assuming the math wizards on CP are right. They think the one bullet nerf was to slightly weaken team shots and cleanup kills. They think the damage might even show the same overall numbers but be dropping only a fraction (displayed as rounded up).

Who knows. Guess we'll find out soon!

Yeah I get that, but wouldn't it make more sense to spend time doing that on an official ranking system overseen by Bungie, since that would give the chase more legitimacy?

I mean I love chasing numbers as much as the next guy, if Bungie ever introduced a ranking system in Destiny I would be all over it and trying to get to the top, but I ain't wasting my time chasing a number on some random 3rd party site which has no impact on the game.

Yeah, but Bungie's rankings are so large, it's hard to tell what's going on. Plus, it isn't a bell curve, but a straight ranking system. Thus it's harder to tell where the top is, and whats average.

What's more pleasing?

Knowing that you are Rank #21159021 on an unknown scale?

Or knowing that you are sitting at 1700, with 1000 being the average/top of the bell curve?

It's like why IQ tests are so popular, despite them being the inferior system. People like small numbers and knowing where they stand amongst others.

X-Frame

I like the theory that Rasputin detected the Traveler preparing to flee and hit it with everything we had. That's why the damage is on the bottom of the Traveler and all.

This card is the best evidence for that read: http://www.ishtar-collective.net/cards/ghost-fragment-rasputin-5#rasputin

That is cool. I've never read that before.

This is the post I was referring to where someone looked at and analyzed the available grimoire (at the time of that post at least) and believes Rasputin didn't fire upon the Traveler. That whole post is definitely worth a read if you're into the lore, he ties a lot of grimoire together.

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...spoiler_the_traveler_and_rasputin_during_the/

Yea, I've discussed this with a few of us here.

First of all, it's stupid mainly for 1 thing: You can win 27 games in a row and go up 5 points, and then lose 1 and go down 20 points. It happened to me a few weeks ago. Then just 1 card when a teammate is using a friend's account with a super low ELO and it shoots up 30-40 points, after 7 games.

I've seen MOST people on LFG care a lot about ELO as the number 1 factor, and KD as either the tied #1 factor or the 2nd factor at times. Many times my lfg teammate will only announce their ELOs.

Personally, 1200-1700 is a huge gray area, especially 1500-1700 being the biggest gray area with pretty much no idea what to expect other than well, you know they win a good amount of the time. So many people fall into that 500 range. Below and above that range, you can get a pretty decent feel. Then usually every 100 after 1700, you can get a better feel. I use that as a base point to go along with hovering over their K/D because it'll show "Year 2 K/D and This week" with the number of games. My KD in year 1 was < 1.0 with 1000s of kills and deaths so it was near impossible to move without playing 100s of games. You can make assumptions like if they have < 1.0 KD and their ELO is 1800, chances are they always have 2 really good teammates. The few scenarios I've seen that, it's always been that case. Of course that may not be true all the time, but getting above 1700 takes a decent amount of work/skill.

I only wanted my ELO to go up just so I can actually play with people on LFG without trying for hours since it's the primary score assessed. Once I got above 1700 on 1 account, I stopped caring because of the stupid stuff I mentioned in the first part of my post about winning and losing. It's mainly cool to be in the highest tier (Diamond). I still check after a good group of games out of curiousity but I don't care if I dropped like I used to when I was stuck in 1600 for so long.

Axoman

I got comfortable with the Doctrine and some math folks on Crucible Playbook seem to think it will need only one more bullet to kill.

It's a 2.4% nerf, not .004% :)

I'm happy ELO will be reset, maybe I can make gains now and get to a respectable level.

But, I think I'll always be low because,
A. I'm terrible.
B. I often play with real life friends that aren't great at trials so we lose a lot.
D. When I do get to play with better players, I often choke or succumb to the pressure of trying really hard to impress.
C. I'm not a phantom like DMH.

FyreWulff

First of all, it's stupid mainly for 1 thing: You can win 27 games in a row and go up 5 points, and then lose 1 and go down 20 points. It happened to me a few weeks ago. Then just 1 card when a teammate is using a friend's account with a super low ELO and it shoots up 30-40 points, after 7 games..

This is one of the points I hit on way back when I made a big post about Halo 2's ELO 1-50 on HBO. Due to the way ELO is designed I actually DERANKED from wins, and the loss penalty can be stupidly severe.

I will always think ELO is out of date. It's meant to be calculable by hand with pen and paper quickly. Kind of pointless when you have gigaflops of computers sitting there that can crunch out more precise metrics for you in one second.

Guarduan.gg started tracking ELO at the beginning of year 2 Trials.

But yeah you mostly have to manipulate the system to get much above 2k, with twink accounts etc. Of course some people are legitimately good enough to consistently carry two sub-1200 players but that's pretty rare. Personally I gave up caring awhile ago. All I care about for Trials is (1) playing with friends for fun, and (2) playing with newbies, virgins etc. who want help getting better. Let the stats fall where they may.
Gave up caring a while ago. Has 2,005 ELO. Shrug.

This is one of the points I hit on way back when I made a big post about Halo 2's ELO 1-50 on HBO. Due to the way ELO is designed I actually DERANKED from wins, and the loss penalty can be stupidly severe.

I will always think ELO is out of date. It's meant to be calculable by hand with pen and paper quickly. Kind of pointless when you have gigaflops of computers sitting there that can crunch out more precise metrics for you in one second.

That's pretty interesting. I need to drink some coffee and read this thoroughly. Thanks!!

Side note: I don't think I ever got higher than the 30s in Halo 2. I always got so mad when I deranked haha.

FyreWulff

That's pretty interesting. I need to drink some coffee and read this thoroughly. Thanks!!

Side note: I don't think I ever got higher than the 30s in Halo 2. I always got so mad when I deranked haha.

Yeah there's some parts of it i've changed my mind on, but it was pretty easy to see why Bungie and most everyone else got away from ELO and (later) TS 1-50. I think about everyone has gone to some sort of season-based divisional system.

Mindlog

Well I'm ready
So who is ready for activities?

Wanna do NF x3
Daily
Then run PoE until I get tired...

Anybody interested?

Logged into Destiny, prompt banner popped sying Game World will be rebooted soon... Excited!
I'm going to run CoO x3 first. The artifact is a guaranteed LL increase.

Top Bottom