• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

wow did anyone think that new Strike was any good?

it was really meh and I was laughing all the way through it, thinking to myself that this cant be the new strike. it was so unbelievably uninspiring and bland.

The NF version I liked because it reminded me of the Driviks fight, at times, with all the taken psions shooting everywhere.

Daemul

Here's a brief outline of what I'd recommend. Start initially with only one character. You'll want to get him as high as possible then infuse that progress into your next alt. Repeat for your 3rd character.

1. If you have materials to donate, level up a few factions. Assuming your character is close to 320, whatever gear you get should be mid-320s. It's best to do this early since the faction rewards cap at 330. You want to use them as a boost before running the Hard raid, so that your raid drops can start extending into the upper 320s.
  2. Nightfalls are another chance for 320-330 gear, similar to ranking factions, so that's an option if you're short on materials. Personally I didn't do any NFalls.
  3. If you saved exotic engrams, decrypt one for your lowest light gear slot, e.g. if your special weapon slot has the lowest light and you have an exotic engram then decrypt it and equip whatever you get. How many exotics you decrypt depends on how many you have saved. I'd recommend saving most of them for later, especially if you only have one engram for a certain gear slot (i.e. don't use all your helmets). That way you can fill in the gaps later that you don't get from raid drops.
  4. Run the raid on your first character. Make sure to equip all your highest light gear. Don't be afraid to infuse your high light items (ex: a 327 faction auto rifle) into the gear you actually wanna use (ex: Hung Jury). You want to be as high light as possible each time you clear an encounter since the LL of drops will be determined by your character's current LL. We never saw anyone get a drop more than 6 light above their current level.
  5. Equip or infuse every higher light item as soon as you get it, before clearing the next encounter. With some decent luck your first character should reach mid-320s.
  6. Once you finish the raid, transfer your highest light weapons and ghost to your second character. Then infuse all of your highest light armor and artifact from your first character into your second character. Definitely keep something if you really like the stats/perks but otherwise infuse it all. This includes exotics since 1:1 infusion means it's easy to replace something using the kiosk.
  7. Now run the raid on your second character, but you'll start at mid-320's so your gear drops will be high-320s, low 330s. With decent luck your second character should reach low 330s.
  8. Transfer weapons + ghost to your 3rd character, and infuse all of your highest light armor from your second character. Your third guy should start the raid at the same LL where your 2nd character finished (I started our last raid at 331).
  9. Once I hit 332, every drop since has been 334-335. Now's also the time to cash in any remaining exotic engrams, especially if they match a low light gear slot. When you get multiple high light items for the same gear slot (e.g. I got two 335 artifacts from our third challenge mode), you can now pass them back to your initial alts. Except they'll be receiving higher light gear than what they initially donated. That's why my first two characters could hit 333 after my last character had hit 334.

A couple random notes: All faction rewards will drop at 330 once you're over that LL. Exotic engrams should decrypt above your current level, but I did get a 334 Praxic Fire when I was 334. You can run Challenge of Elders for additional 335 drops from both the end game rewards screen, and the High Score + Cumulative Score rewards.

Anyway, hope this helps. It's not nearly as confusing as I made it sound, but I wanted to include enough detail. The progression system is so much better now that everyone will reach high level before long, but this method works really well for anyone that wants to expedite the process and start getting max light drops ASAP. Let me know if anyone has questions.

Brilliant work Boguester, I also realized quite soon after the update dropped that I was wasting my time trying to do Nightfalls, CoO and even the Level 42 Challenge mode in order to try and get my character to 330+ light quickly, and that running the Raids first was a much more effective strategy.

I've currently run the raid on two of my Hunters and I'm sitting on 229 light, so by the time I finish my 3rd Raid I'll probably be in the 332+ range and I can go back and do the other activities.

I thought I did pretty well this morning when I for seemingly no reason picked up a Shaxx package with a longbow that had SLR10 - triple tap - injection mold - and hot swap, but I just pulled another package and got hooked up with a longbow with SLR10 - last resort - Snapshot - hidden hand. Even after the nerf this roll is going to feel pretty good I think.

Carbonox

Is there a list of things to do that get you higher level gear?

Nightfall - done on 1 character
POE 41 - done on 1 character (can this be played over and over?)
COE - done on 1 character (can this be played over and over? The 3 times I did it for the Sigil netted me rewards but what's the standard of the rewards? I know the Sigil is or should be weekly)

Weekly Heroic?
Crucible?
Crucible Bounties?

Then there is the obvious Raid-related stuff.

Edit: Just seen Boguester's post above. Thanks.

Daemul

Oh yeah before I forget to ask, why doesn't the Challenge of Elders have matchmaking? It's easier than the level 41 PoE ffs.

Wallach

Guess I'll log in a bit this week and see what's goin' on in Destiny lately.

For some reason I had 200 spacebucks for their spaceshop, and saw that they were selling gamble boxes for speeder horns of all things. Was hoping for a mariachi horn but wound up with a fog horn instead, which is still pretty okay. It came with a speeder which is kind of neat looking. The second one had an "aqua horn" which to me doesn't sound like anything but a normal car horn so I don't really know what is aqua about it.

All the AR and PR changes look pretty keen. Seems like the raid PR and sniper should be even better, which was already one of my favorite combos. Also they seem to have fixed that exotic Titan AR and in the brief spin I took it on seemed pretty awesome now.

Daemul

Because it's a C H A L L E N G E

The final Exotic Sword quest is more of a challenge than this shit, and hell even that has matchmaking.

It boggles my mind that the the nightfall still doesn't have MM, whilst the one mission which requires more coordination and teamwork than any other(because Lord, so much can go wrong when 3 random people are each going for different exotic swords) does have MM.

Bungie pls

KuroNeeko

PvP is still a thing right?

Is it locked or based on light level? I tried joining something via the Crucible last night and couldn't find any active games (level 26-ish).

Kreus

Neo Member
Cf6SknkUsAAbWGT.jpg

Theres no content...

I had fun!

Number45

wow did anyone think that new Strike was any good?

it was really meh and I was laughing all the way through it, thinking to myself that this cant be the new strike. it was so unbelievably uninspiring and bland.
I spawned into the strike and immediately thought... surely it's not just one fucking room?

Wasn't far wrong

glaurung

The final Exotic Sword quest is more of a challenge than this shit, and hell even that has matchmaking.

It boggles my mind that the the nightfall still doesn't have MM, whilst the one mission which requires more coordination and teamwork than any other(because Lord, so much can go wrong when 3 random people are each going for different exotic swords) does have MM.

Bungie pls
Someone at Bongo was imagining that we'd be killing all three elemental knights along with Darkblade within 30 seconds. Now that would pose a challenge. The most I've done is two elemental knights with Darkblade, never three.

LifEndz

Bungie pls

This stands out all the more in a post-Division world. The companion app was running like shit for me and when I finally did get in a group for the nightfall I got kicked for being too low light (315 is too low?). Matchmaking for nightfall needs to happen.

PvP is still a thing right?

Is it locked or based on light level? I tried joining something via the Crucible last night and couldn't find any active games (level 26-ish).

The population wasn't very high last night, 90% of my games were join in progress. Actually level 26 do you have TTK or still vanilla Destiny?

Should I upgrade Hawkmoon or Ace of Spades?

Hawkmoon

Edit Nghtly got partnered

Klyka

Banned
I just realized I would have to resub to playstation plus if I want to play the new strike and the remastered PoE

Uuuuuuugggh i don't want to spend money on this for like 2 hours of gameplaaaaay

KuroNeeko

The population wasn't very high last night, 90% of my games were join in progress. Actually level 26 do you have TTK or still vanilla Destiny?

Hawkmoon

Edit Nghtly got partnered

I own the TTK and PvE is gradually starting to reflect that. It also gives me the option to join classic or TTK maps when entering the Crucible. (I tried both.)

Even the "low-level" Strikes are really hard to find. I just completed the vanilla Crota quest line at level 25-ish...lol

Planning a hard mode raid for 4 pm GMT.

Let the slow creep to 335 begin (not everyone got Drizzy's godly RNG:) )

1. jayforone

Please quote this post and sign up.

Is there any reason to do HM vs CM (3x)? I should be down though. PSN: Darryl_M_R. So this will be 12 est

JayHayabusa

Updated list below

Planning a hard mode raid for 4 pm GMT -- 12 pm EST

1. jayforone
2. hedera_
3. WeTeHa
4. Darryl_M_R

WeTeHa

Is there any reason to do HM vs CM (3x)? I should be down though. PSN: Darryl_M_R. So this will be 12 est

You get additional drops from the second chest, I guess.

I just unlocked the exotic class item quest... I have to wear a dead orbit shader, emblem and class item while completing the steps? Is it really a class item or does any armor work?

Edit: Oh I think I know what you mean... Now that drops aren't "310-320" anymore, but always around or higher than your light level, I think it's better to do the full HM raid to get drops from everybody. And with the CM you get a possible double drop.

keakster

I just unlocked the exotic class item quest... I have to wear a dead orbit shader, emblem and class item while completing the steps? Is it really a class item or does any armor work?

Needs to be a class item, I tried it with a chest piece and it didn't count (for New Monarchy)

Not sure about HM vs CM. But following Drizzy's post to edge my titan up from about 315

Keep in mind that Challenge mode doesn't drop max light gear anymore. So it's not necessarily higher light stuff compared to other raid checkpoints. It just drops more gear, and specific types like the artifacts and armor pieces this week. So it's a great place to get higher LL stuff, but once you've equipped that then you'll get even higher LL drops from Daughters and Oryx since your character's level is now higher.

Honestly it's not a bad way to make the entire raid worth doing, since you can get better gear from every phase now. When Challenge mode started most people stopped doing anything else since 99 times out of 100 they got lower light drops. That's not the case anymore.

Hedera

Keep in mind that Challenge mode doesn't drop max light gear anymore. So it's not necessarily higher light stuff compared to other raid checkpoints. It just drops more gear, and specific types like the artifacts and armor pieces this week. So it's a great place to get higher LL stuff, but once you've equipped that then you'll get even higher LL drops from Daughters and Oryx since your character's level is now higher.

Honestly it's not a bad way to make the entire raid worth doing, since you can get better gear from every phase now. When Challenge mode started most people stopped doing anything else since 99 times out of 100 they got lower light drops. That's not the case anymore.
So what you're saying is that loot is actually smart now :)

Updated list below

Planning a hard mode raid for 4 pm GMT -- 12 pm EST

1. jayforone
2. hedera_
3. WeTeHa
4. Darryl_M_R
5. Inapplicable

I should hopefully be awake for this, haven't done a full KF in forever.

Top Bottom