• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Oh no, Colonel has been Taken! ;_;

Nice bro, glad to hear of your success with the Drizz strat. Please comment, like and subscribe to my YouTube channel for more hot Destiny tips.

Woah woah woah. Me and ape have trademarked "Drizz Strat"(tm) and it means something completely different!

Kyne

Whew.

Played a bit with the girlfriend and my best friend last night.

We all stopped before hitting 310 last November. All and all the new changes seem pretty cool. Still need to try out the new sandbox stuff in crucible.

During the Halloween update I invested $20 into the store so that we could buy some emotes. I only ever actually bought 1 so I had some credits left over. Ended up using it on the new boxes and lo and behold I was able to attain the entire Spektar set for Titan (my main). I guess counting the free boxes it took 7 total.

I'm glad I didn't get any of the Taken gear because I absolutely hate the look of the Titan POE gear. Oddly enough, I find it weird that I didn't get a single piece.. would have really sucked if that's what I actually wanted.

So is this Smart Loot thing for real? I ranked up 3 times w/ the New Monarchy dude and I got Arms/Legs/Helm/Shader/Gun.. no repeats of anything. Maybe I was just lucky?

Still can't believed I wasted $40 on that season pass of the Division. That could've went towards Ratchet and Clank

I'm so glad I dodged this bullet. I was going to get it around launch, but it wasn't pay day quite yet so I couldn't get it and more or less forgot about it. I'm not particularly impressed with this Destiny update, but it's still a actual fun game to play PVP wise at the very least. The Division end game is just a slog. I'm not interested in grinding for materials to craft gear and getting dropped from groups and all the glitches and cheaters really make that game a cesspool as far as I'm concerned.

Whew.

Played a bit with the girlfriend and my best friend last night.

We all stopped before hitting 310 last November. All and all the new changes seem pretty cool. Still need to try out the new sandbox stuff in crucible.

During the Halloween update I invested $20 into the store so that we could buy some emotes. I only ever actually bought 1 so I had some credits left over. Ended up using it on the new boxes and lo and behold I was able to attain the entire Spektar set for Titan (my main). I guess counting the free boxes it took 7 total.

I'm glad I didn't get any of the Taken gear because I absolutely hate the look of the Titan POE gear. Oddly enough, I find it weird that I didn't get a single piece.. would have really sucked if that's what I actually wanted.

So is this Smart Loot thing for real? I ranked up 3 times w/ the New Monarchy dude and I got Arms/Legs/Helm/Shader/Gun.. no repeats of anything. Maybe I was just lucky?
You were lucky. 11 ranks in FWC yesterday gave me three bonds, two helmets, two chest pieces, two Vertigos, and then a hand cannon and machine gun. At least they were all good light levels.

One of the long term problems that I think exists with Destiny is the complete lack of interesting armor perks. Armor really has become completely cosmetic at this point. We see the same perks over and over again. Melee recharges grenade, grenade recharges melee, etc. When I get new armor, I don't really feel like I'm upgrading anything. There's scarcely even a difference between PvE and PvP armor sets.

This is something that I don't expect to be addressed until Destiny 2, but I really do hope it gets addressed. Destiny needs more diversity in its armor. Or let us fully customize the stats and perks altogether if the perks aren't going to be significant.

inthrall

Ended up at 318 light, so definitely gained a bunch of levels which was nice. Will probably run the raid at some point this week to get some free levels, but beyond that will just head back to finish Dark Souls 3 tomorrow (game is so good)

Thanks for all the runs through stuff, already over PoE after finishing the card once

Anybody who bought the mystery boxes. How much did you need to spend to get a full set of Taken armor on one character?

I had bad...bad...VERY bad luck. More than
$20
And having to move the Taken Emote from my vault to different characters is an oversight. I unlocked it. I should be able to grab it from Tess or the Kisok on all characters.

I did get an entire set for my Titan of both the Taken and Spekter, but the Spekter set doesn't have PvP rolls so...that sucks.

I also got sublime arms and legs for my Titan. They're both INT/STR so I will use those for Defender Titan IB Build.

So far, I'm pretty tepid on the update. I think the infusion 1:1 is fantastic and the sense of progression feels much better because of that. It was fun to do the raid again, but only because I have a very fun reset crew(thanks Val and Igor for helping out when others had to bail out)

PvP still feels the same to me except Fusions are a real threat now. I'm sure Trials will be a different story on Friday.

Edit: Yah'll are welcome for the next free update btw. Sterling Boxes....man

Does anyone know the names of the new Sublime set items?

I got a Sublime engram last night, but it looks like last years model. It's legs though, so it's hard to say.

-------------

Also, anyone up for Challenge of Elders?

Faction rewards at least seem finally where they should be. They are maybe even too generous. I was rank 8 at FWC yesterday i got 4 rank ups and got 3 shaders and an emblem. I ranked up once the crucible faction and got a ship. Not bad.

Streaming all day today:

twitch.tv/kor_of_memory

If anyone wants to join in for Challenge of Elders or anything really, just jump into my party. Should be open.

Haven't tried Crucible yet, but I'm happy my Arminius still feels great against trash mobs.

I'm feeling the 1,000 Yard Stare ammo cut, and I don't like it. It's two and a half clips and leaves me scrounging for ammo too often, making the bosses more of a chore than they are otherwise.

Have only done some PoE and the basic quest/strike, but while special ammo might have a higher drop rate but it feels feast-or-famine, just like heavy. What the hell am I supposed to do with all this surplus ammo in a room after a firefight? We'll see how I feel over the next few days, but they may have to cook the RNG to spread drops out for the PvP inventory changes to not feel punitive in PvE.

Wish they had just put in a PvE-only inventory nerf instead.

Does the High Caliber Rounds perk impact how often we stagger enemies? It feels like the MIDA is staggering enemies less often, but I haven't really played in a few months. But something felt...off?

Yes, that's exactly what the perk does.

But really? The most fun I ever had with Destiny was when shotguns were awesome. I'd do just about anything to get them back. :(

Jason Jones said:
I think [...] every object, every player-facing verb, needs to be a power fantasy in some way. And so the [Halo 1] Ghost was correctly balanced numerically, but it wasn’t that fun. It didn’t make you feel awesome. It wasn’t something you jumped on and thought you were going to tear the place up with. -- IGN interview from 2013

I think the inventory nerfs are in line with this philosophy but the current state of most shotguns is not.

So I played vanilla destiny a lot, to the point where I completed the vualt of glass on its hardest difficulty - hit light level 30 across all my characters and was fully decked out in a ton of cool exotics

I kind of stopped there and never had a chance to continue - I did play crota's end which I remember being hyper short but I didn't even get to try the raid. At the time life got busy and I ended up getting rid of my copy of the game so moved on

I'm now wanting to jump back in and so got the taken king - I am curious if anyone can give me a primer on what the best first steps are?

I'm planning to do the house of wolves and then start the taken king:

I assume my exotic year one weapons are going to be weak compared to the stuff I unlock as I play through the taken king? Can I keep infusing them to bring them to to year 2 levels or should I focus on getting year 2 gear?

Does anyone know the names of the new Sublime set items?

I got a Sublime engram last night, but it looks like last years model. It's legs though, so it's hard to say.

I had two sublime engrams sitting in my vault from before the update. Yesterday, one decrypted to the new set, the other to the old set. I guess that is good for people who never got the previous set.

Here are the names of the new gear:

Hunter - Long Tomorrow 9G
Warlock - Barkhan Dune I
Titan - Jovian Guard

Hunter set:

b24OAY0.png

I played it twice with two other guys and we couldn't even get the 30,000. I'm not sure what we were doing wrong. I guess we were taking too long to kill the bosses?

We had 89000 from 2 runs, 43500 and 45800 (approx). Lost 2000 points in the first run as Drizzay got d/c.

Use hung jury or similar precision primary. No firefly.
Adds spawn on boss health. Clear all adds, dps boss till more ads spawn. Rinse repeat.
DO NOT go ham on the boss, have to pace his health so you can spawn all add waves.
Assists are free 75 points per kill.
Make orbs (titan bubble, boss tether). Free points.
No supers, nades or melees to kill adds.
Take your time and make sure your killing shot on each add is a precision shot.
Final round can get you the most points because each precision kill awards 3x bonus.

Roughly, 9000-10000 points in first round, 25000-27000 points by second round and 45000 by end of final round.

So I played vanilla destiny a lot, to the point where I completed the vualt of glass on its hardest difficulty - hit light level 30 across all my characters and was fully decked out in a ton of cool exotics

I kind of stopped there and never had a chance to continue - I did play crota's end which I remember being hyper short but I didn't even get to try the raid. At the time life got busy and I ended up getting rid of my copy of the game so moved on

I'm now wanting to jump back in and so got the taken king - I am curious if anyone can give me a primer on what the best first steps are?

I'm planning to do the house of wolves and then start the taken king:

I assume my exotic year one weapons are going to be weak compared to the stuff I unlock as I play through the taken king? Can I keep infusing them to bring them to to year 2 levels or should I focus on getting year 2 gear?

All year 1 gear has been "left behind." You can't upgrade them at all beyond Y1 levels. However, they added exotic armor and weapon kiosks. So if you have the Y1 version you can buy the Y2 version with legendary marks (like the vanguard and crucible marks from vanilla). Then those Y2 exotics can be infused up to current max level.

Seriously? You get penalized for using supers and grenades?

Directly, no. But those kills award less points due to the modifier. So if you want more points, get precision kills.

No

There is a modifier that gives 3x points per kill if it's precision.

3x points only in the final round.

Precision kills award 90 points in first round
2x in second round, so 180.
3x in final round, so 270.

Shito

We had 89000 from 2 runs, 43500 and 45800 (approx). Lost 2000 points in the first run as Drizzay got d/c.

Adds spawn on boss health. Clear all adds, dps boss till more ads spawn. Rinse repeat.
DO NOT go ham on the boss, have to pace his health so you can spawn all add waves.
Final round can get you the most points because each precision kill awards 3x bonus.

Roughly, 9000-10000 points in first round, 25000-27000 points by second round and 45000 by end of final round.
Watching TheHM05 soloing this, it seems like a good idea to melee the shanks, as they can't be killed by precision shots and melee seems to give more points than just killing them with a gun.

This explains everything I was doing wrong. Thanks.

Oh no, Colonel has been Taken! ;_;

Nice bro, glad to hear of your success with the Drizz strat. Please comment, like and subscribe to my YouTube channel for more hot Destiny tips.
Your Youtube has a lot of talk of drugs and guns and the N word. It might have been Dr. Dre's Youtube.

Watching TheHM05 soloing this, it seems like a good idea to melee the shanks, as they can't be killed by precision shots and melee seems to give more points than just killing them with a gun.

Yeah, good point. Either way, the challenge of elders is not very long and if you only need a few thousand points after 2 runs, you can just destroy the bosses super quick and finish it in like 10 minutes. Added bonus of getting a ghost and/or class item from post game rewards.

This explains everything I was doing wrong. Thanks.

No worries, modifiers will change every week so take a look at them and plan accordingly.

FyreWulff

Also, put a body shot into every add before your teammates kill them. You'll get assist points.

And they don't need to kill them fast, either, as long as you get the shot in the assist will count even if they kill the adds multiple minutes later.

In theory optimal play this week is assist body shots + non-instakill supers + headshots (so the super generates orbs and more bonus points)... so maybe Hunter tether without shared damage is your best bet?

edit: if there's ever a melee bonus points week then Defender Titans are going to be $_$ with those orb trains

So what you're saying is that loot is actually smart now :)

It's crazy how often they've had to relearn the same lessons, especially with the raid loot tables. If anyone listened to the planet destiny podcast Luke gave when TTK launched, he made a comment about how right before they finalized King's Fall he implored the rewards team to make the loot table "more like Crota's End." Which means that we almost got something even worse, as scary as that sounds.

It's hard for me to understand where/how these design disconnections happen. Vanilla launched with a terrible progression system they eventually fixed ~8 months later in HoW. Then Taken King launched with a great mid-game progression they inexplicably failed to extend into the end game. Now they're fixing it ~7 months later, simply by using the system that was already in place. I'll never understand why KF's loot didn't always work this way.

Woah woah woah. Me and ape have trademarked "Drizz Strat"(tm) and it means something completely different!

lol oh no, I'm afraid to ask what that version means.... o_O

Your Youtube has a lot of talk of drugs and guns and the N word. It might have been Dr. Dre's Youtube.

tumblr_nch119KO2B1se3w1bo1_400.gif

All year 1 gear has been "left behind." You can't upgrade them at all beyond Y1 levels. However, they added exotic armor and weapon kiosks. So if you have the Y1 version you can buy the Y2 version with legendary marks (like the vanguard and crucible marks from vanilla). Then those Y2 exotics can be infused up to current max level.

Thanks!

So my goal is to get enough legendary marks to either bring all my armour and weapons forward or hope better weapons/ armour drop in the meantime - makes sense!

Quite like the idea of keeping my ice breaker and other weapons going forward so I'll maybe see what the vendors can do for me there!

Top Bottom