• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

Axoman

So after getting to play the update last night, I have to say Destiny is broken. I anticipate a hotfix to nerf rewards as it feels so strange to get showered with loot and have that loot help you progress. The whole time I was playing, I was thinking this can't be intended, it's got to be a bug. Bungie is not this generous.

I played for less than 2 hours and went from 319 to 324. My helmet, ghost and heavy are keeping me from being near 330. This was just playing 3 total CoE, some patrol to finish gunsmith bounties and a couple faction rank up packages.

I can't comment on any PvP changes, but from a quality of life standpoint, this update is great so far.

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but it appears the Gunsmith rank up packages can go up to 330 light as I got a 328 hand cannon from him last night.

Oh, and I finally got my first ever faction ship, The Fermi Solution, yeah!

Top of page edit, stay down you dirty Sunsinger!

eUchhfL.gif

Any vendor primaries better than hung jury now for pve?

Here is a great list of Vendor weapons that are currently worth it. Unfortunately, none of the Scout's seem to live up to Hung Jury, but a lot of other stuff seems pretty good.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...assive_breakdown_of_recommended_april_update/

The game will be dead in a month.

Thats not me being captain salty but the content isn't there, Crucible is unchanged, the PoE challenge is easier than this weeks NF, everyone's nearly 335, all the weapons are shit etc etc..

I had a strong urge to play before I came to work this morning, but I think I'm actually going to take it slow. Play a little bit here and there on weekends, and maybe an evening or two a week. Now that progression is slow and steady (and basically guaranteed), I feel like logging in for a few minutes is still actually productive in some way.

Like, I see 335 as inevitable, so why rush it at this point.

So after getting to play the update last night, I have to say Destiny is broken. I anticipate a hotfix to nerf rewards as it feels so strange to get showered with loot and have that loot help you progress. The whole time I was playing, I was thinking this can't be intended, it's got to be a bug. Bungie is not this generous

Some real Stockholm Syndrome here. Just because we've been abused for so long doesn't mean that's the only way!

Destiny is not broken! It's finally a loot game!

Lee

Bungie is not this generous.

Bungie has a team dedicated to player investment. Recall that in year one, loot was rare enough that shooting into a cave for hours was a viable way to progress, forever 29 was almost a universal problem, and people grinded to reach max light. End of year one, they opened the flood gates, increased drops, and etheric light guaranteed everyone would hit max without too much issue. I think this is part of the investment plan. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Thats not me being captain salty but the content isn't there, Crucible is unchanged, the PoE challenge is easier than this weeks NF, everyone's nearly 335, all the weapons are shit etc etc..

I actually agree. People complain about the grind but the only reason they're playing is because of the grind. They'll hit 335 and complain there is nothing to do.

Bungie has a team dedicated to player investment. Recall that in year one, loot was rare enough that shooting into a cave for hours was a viable way to progress, forever 29 was almost a universal problem, and people grinded to reach max light. End of year one, they opened the flood gates, increased drops, and etheric light guaranteed everyone would hit max without too much issue. I think this is part of the investment plan. Enjoy it while it lasts!

The cynic in me agrees with this assessment. Prepare for the same thing next year!

The cynic in me agrees with this assessment. Prepare for the same thing next year!

It totally is. The easiest thing for them to do is just open the floodgates esp when they don't have any new content to push.

The new exotics would have been fun but they've obviously been earmarked for the next expansion as they've probably already run out of ideas for that. Also the way things are going we're going to have only one new PvP map in a year and thats shit, triffic

I actually agree. People complain about the grind but the only reason they're playing is because of the grind. They'll hit 335 and complain there is nothing to do.

Some people.

Some other people wont complain.

In fact, some other people want to build multiple sets of gear after they reach 335 so they can play all aspects of the game optimally. And then, on top of that, look good doing it.

We'll actually start seeing armor variety again because all armor can be brought up to 335. Whereas up until this Tuesday, almost every 320 player you saw had a mashup of Oryx and Trials gear.

Let me just say this. Halo 1/2/3/Reach had no real progression system. The way you played the game on day one was exactly how you played it 2 years later. Somehow, people found ways to enjoy those games without any sort of progression. If, say, Halo 3 had an XP cap of 5000, people wouldn't suddenly stop playing Halo 3 the moment they hit 5000xp.

I hate the logic that hitting the level cap means that people will consider the game finished and put it away. That's the same stupid logic Bungie has been using here and there for the past year and a half, and I'm sick of it.

LTWood12

You may not be wrong, but I think when people DO move onto something for awhile they'll leave w/ a much better taste in their mouth.

That "new" Strike must be the most basic unimaginative strike in the game, yikes. It does not pass the Bungie quality test for me from what I've come to expect over the years.

X-Frame

It's insane that I am getting 118 Crucible reputation per game now (with a Class Item that boosts Crucible rep like the Iron Banner one).

Doing Maybem Clash seems to be the fastest too in terms of game times.

With a Crucible Booster that reputation seems to double. I got a Crucible rank up package Tuessay night then another yesterday afternoon from just playing Crucible for a few hours. Insane.

I also do need to start doing Gunsmith stuff again.

Some people.

In fact, some other people want to build multiple sets of gear after they reach 335 so they can play all aspects of the game optimally. And then, on top of that, look good doing it.

We'll actually start seeing armor variety again because all armor can be brought up to 335. Whereas up until this Tuesday, almost every 320 player you saw had a mashup of Oryx and Trials gear.

Let me just say this. Halo 1/2/3/Reach had no real progression system. The way you played the game on day one was exactly how you played it 2 years later. Somehow, people found ways to enjoy those games without any sort of progression. If, say, Halo 3 had an XP cap of 5000, people wouldn't suddenly stop playing Halo 3 the moment they hit 5000xp.

I hate the logic that hitting the level cap means that people will consider the game finished and put it away. That's the same stupid logic Bungie has been using here and there for the past year and a half, and I'm sick of it.

I get that. I didn't understand why people were upset when they had "unlocked everything in Titanfall now there is nothing to do." I didn't have any trouble playing the game for what it was and just trying to improve.

Right now I'm interested in 330+ so I can play ToO and IB.

Dave_6

Only drops from Vanguard rank-up packages. Got this from another Vanguard package
C7CDgnel.jpg

And this from a crucible package (probably going to infuse this into something else)
P3LZ7m9l.jpg

Also, hey Dave.

Never had either one of those drop for me. Guess I need to get to playing more as I'd love to get a Y2 Devil You Know.

Hey LT!

Axoman

Some real Stockholm Syndrome here. Just because we've been abused for so long doesn't mean that's the only way!

Destiny is not broken! It's finally a loot game!

I'm sure that the leveling and loot system will be overhauled again either in the fall update, or Destiny 2 and it will be grind all over again for the first 6-8 months.

Some people.

I have previously stated I'd play more if loot was more generous for exactly this reason. I want to get ideal PvP and PvE loadouts for all my guys.

I got this auto rifle last night, it's got Hand Laid Stock and glass half full. Recoil isn't too bad, hoping with glass half full, it will make up for high ROF nerf.

FyreWulff

It was a good call on their part to make the 42 keep dropping stuff. And they balanced it too by removing the treasure room so the 41 has a different purpose.

The 42 is also legit fun. I wish they'd remove the Variks talking parts from the 41 to speed it up like they did the 42. More boss rush modes in the future plz

That "new" Strike must be the most basic unimaginative strike in the game, yikes. It does not pass the Bungie quality test for me from what I've come to expect over the years.

Meh... it's our first real Taken strike, which isn't bad. I think the zone to zone paths could have been better.

Looking at this:
0APvwXJ.png

It obviously uses a very similar path to the missions "Shrine of Oryx" even finishing in the same area.

The boss is pretty unique, so I give it a bit of a pass, because I'm all about unique boss encounters.

The first area is just so boring. The Summoning pits is not a well designed area. Something about makes the enemies move around poorly, and it has terrible line of sight issues.
(Side Note: I fully believe it was Bungie's original intention to have Phogoth actually destroy those 6 islands throughout the encounter to remove cover.)

Tried to do the Black Spindle thing for the first time with some buddies. We're all ~305 and competent, but that shit was near impossible. Totally ridiculous, actually. We wanted to try again but had to go through the entire quest again, and failed even harder the second time. I won't be trying that again.

I dunno, just kind of feeling like this game sucks now.

Daemul

VersusTheStream just broke 50k points soloing CoE, I don't know how, because I have never broken 47k solo. Where the fuck did those extra 4k points come from? o_O

Maybe some masochist people do, but this update and HoW are the times where I actually love playing Destiny. Right now I'm trying to write a 5000 word report due in next week and yet I'm itching to play the game, despite being nearly LL335, which is a feeling I haven't experienced since HoW.

These past 8 months with shit loot drops and terrible infusion system have been awful for me and I hope we never return to the shitty grind. Like JohnofMars said above, Destiny is finally worthy of being called a loot game. We're not yet at Diablo/Borderlands levels of getting flooded with loot, but we're not miles away from it like we were just 3 days ago.

I haven't done it yet but the new quest was quite short and very underwhelming.

The PSN quest is even worse.

The quest is literally:

Go kill stuff at Court of Oryx
Tier 1 is worth 1 point
Tier 2 is worth 2 points
Tier 3 is worth 3 points

Get 6 points.

Congrats, here is a Sparrow.

The End.

It was a good call on their part to make the 42 keep dropping stuff. And they balanced it too by removing the treasure room so the 41 has a different purpose.

The 42 is also legit fun. I wish they'd remove the Variks talking parts from the 41 to speed it up like they did the 42. More boss rush modes in the future plz

I thought this, too, but then I realized that instead of the preface from the Warden/Variks before the rounds, we just get the container opening animation cinematic of the boss. So it kind of evens out.

What they should have done is restructure some stuff for the 41.

The main thing is the 2 main components of the level 41 don't play off each other. If I have a Capture Mines round, those mines should spawn based on the amount of adds left for the round. It's really boring when you find you've killed all the enemies for the entire round just as you captured the first mine. Now you're left just sitting there waiting for the mines to spawn so you can move along.

Something else to help is that if players fail to stop the VIP, Destroy Mines, or whatever, rather than kill the players, simply don't award them the point for that round. Make the rounds go up to 10, but the players only need to finish 3 of them or something. Get what I'm saying?

So I just finished round 1 of kill stuff. Now round 2 wants me to capture 3 mines. Except we didn't manage to do it. The counter on the left is still going to say 1 out of 3 complete. And then another round of capturing mines will start. If the players can't do 3 rounds after 10 tries, then kill them off and try again.

Another good change would be to make it so Round 2 and 3 are not the same objective.

Tried to do the Black Spindle thing for the first time with some buddies. We're all ~305 and competent, but that shit was near impossible. Totally ridiculous, actually. We wanted to try again but had to go through the entire quest again, and failed even harder the second time. I won't be trying that again.

Black spindle requires quite a few attempts the first try, and also requires a very specific strategy. Namely, chain supers like a boss, kill those wizards in the Tank room ASAP, and for the boss kill (Blights, Adds, Boss) in that order.

ocean

Banned

This is the only thing in the entire game which rewards skill. Everything else you can just grind for regardless of whether you're good or not (except Mercury stuff I suppose).

The Black Spindle mission represents a design philosophy Bungie shoes away from to keep the player base casual but I think it's beautiful.

I failed that mission the first time I tried. And the second. And the third. But I got it done and felt like my Spindle was a reward I had earned - probably the only time I have ever felt that in the game.

Look up some videos with tips! It can be a little overwhelming but it's totally doable :)

LTWood12

That seems like an odd reason to say the game sucks, but everyone is welcome to their own opinion. Sorry you had a bad experience. It's a really tough mission, and it rewards one of the best weapons in the game.

That seems like an odd reason to say the game sucks, but everyone is welcome to their own opinion. Sorry you had a bad experience. It's a really tough mission, and it rewards one of the best weapons in the game.
I appreciate that there may be some better tactics out there, but from my point of view it's like one of those old super long GTA missions without any checkpoints. SOOOO tedious, and then you fail and have to spend 15 minutes getting back to the point where you can try again. And then the actual challenge is poking your head out from behind a wall and getting blasted in the face immediately with zero chance to safely return fire. IMO just an example of Bungie not understanding the player experience and how tedium affects morale.

...and of course there's a timer.

I appreciate that there may be some better tactics out there, but from my point of view it's like one of those old super long GTA missions without any checkpoints. SOOOO tedious, and then you fail and have to spend 15 minutes getting back to the point where you can try again. And then the actual challenge is poking your head out from behind a wall and getting blasted in the face immediately with zero chance to safely return fire. IMO just an example of Bungie not understanding the player experience and how tedium affects morale.

...and of course there's a timer.

I mean, if the entire game was like this, then I'd agree. But you're talking about 1 single very special mission with a very special reward that comes from it.

I got mine after 10 attempts. It's tough, it's infuriating and soul destroyer. But then you make it. And it feels great. And the next time the mission comes around, you probably will do it again, because it just feels right to beat that dam mission.

E92 M3

Spring is always the time when they give us everything we want and fix mistakes. Hopefully, in Fall they will continue with that trend.

LTWood12

Spring is always the time when they give us everything we want and fix mistakes. Hopefully, in Fall they will continue with that trend.

Lol Trance please. Remember when they stuck their hands in everyone's pockets and lowered all the Spindles to 290? THAT'S what we get in the fall.

Lol Trance please. Remember when they stuck their hands in everyone's pockets and lowered all the Spindles to 290? THAT'S what we get in the fall.
I completely forgot that happened. Seems so silly and maliciously punitive in retrospect, especially given the new light levels, infusion changes, and relative ease of finding 310 gear now.

Tried to do the Black Spindle thing for the first time with some buddies. We're all ~305 and competent, but that shit was near impossible.

My partner and I attempted to two-man it twice last night. Second run went very smoothly until the last room (we were probably a bit slow in the walker-room). I think the next time it's on a weekend we'll be able to get it done. Probably my tenth time trying to do it over the months (first time since Christmas, I think).

This is the only thing in the entire game which rewards skill. Everything else you can just grind for regardless of whether you're good or not (except Mercury stuff I suppose).

Oryx in the KF's raid demands skill, but its much easier to do the repetition to learn it since there's not 10 minutes of prelude in each attempt.

SOOOO tedious, and then you fail and have to spend 15 minutes getting back to the point where you can try again.

Tedious? Tedious was the mat farming for the exotic swords. This is actual combat: target prioritization and risk/reward evaluation.

As in the raid encounters, it would be easier if you reverted to the beginning of the encounter.

LTWood12

I completely forgot that happened. Seems so silly and maliciously punitive in retrospect, especially given the new light levels, infusion changes, and relative ease of finding 310 gear now.

It is utterly baffling. I would love to know who made that call. They took a thing that had hyped up the entire community so much, and instead of embracing it decided it was better to micromanage.

Lee

Is there anything in the game that requires the 335 light. Coe is easy enough at 320 and the raid is the same level as before?

Impressing other people.

Really, no. You could say Trials and Iron Banner, but that's a stretch.

I imagine when PoE 42 has harder bonuses/modifiers, say, grenade kills as a bonus and trickle as a modifier (god forbid), you'll need to be high levelled to hit the high score challenge. Who knows.

E92 M3

I forgot that happened, but yeah that was very shitty and a bad call by Bungie. That studio is just too large for the right voices to get through sometimes.

Top Bottom