• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT8| DOTA Asian Championship (1/27-2/9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xanavi

Isn't silencing items only for their actives if I'm understanding this correctly?

Okay, I went in a wtf lobby and tested a bunch of items. Legion's duel no longer disables passives on items. I tested crystalys, evasion tali and basher and they all worked during duel for both parties.

inkls

Okay, I went in a wtf lobby and tested a bunch of items. Legion's duel no longer disables passives on items. I tested crystalys, evasion tali and basher and they all worked during duel for both parties.

Daedalus confirmed best item for legion \o/

If I'm being honest MLG coming back next year is actually going to do a ton of damage to the scene and Dota.

The scheduling for next year is just unfeasible with a total of nearly 20-25 LAN events trying to find their own slots.
Anything noteworthy we can expect from the supposed "players meeting" that happened a few days ago?
The stuff that is being worked on in this area of the scene is going to take a fair amount of time to implement. The affects won't be seen until the second half of the year at the earliest.

SamVimes

I still think Bulba just doesn't fit in that team at all. Just give him clock and let him carry.

Bulba doesn't fit in any team, he's just a bad player. He needs to work on his mechanical skills a lot and leave the leadership position to someone better than him.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
DOTA 2 does need some kind of overseeing authority because this shit is getting messed up.

abunai

I haven't watched any pro dota in a good while because there's just too much going on and I can't keep up so there's no interesting storylines for me to care about. I watch a few Team secret and VG games here and there but my interest has swung to actually playing the game..

Bulba doesn't fit in any team, he's just a bad player. He needs to work on his mechanical skills a lot and leave the leadership position to someone better than him.

I agree his mechanics are lack luster now. He understands the game really well, though. Having him in a leadership role isn't a bad idea. I think he'd be passable as an offlaner, but as a support-hybrid-thing he doesn't do shit.

DOTA 2 does need some kind of overseeing authority because this shit is getting messed up.

Hard to do when all of these groups are totally independent.

I assume this is part of the reason League went to its current structure.

Do teams feel obligated to sign up for all the tournaments? Is this because of contractual obligations with sponsors?

Considering how hard it is to get in any meaningful money rounds and how people need to eat...yes. I'm sure regular winners like EG can afford to skip a few, but teams like Secret, C9, Na'Vi, Empire and the VP's a examples of name brands that aren't making big money. The reality is in most of these tournaments, the lion's share of money goes to 1st place. The rest is a fraction of that amount, then spread between the organizations and 5 players. It's not much when you look at it, and if you can't have a regular job because of the dota commitment, you need to make as much money as you can.

See: Free 2 Play documentary.

Big Dog

Do teams feel obligated to sign up for all the tournaments? Is this because of contractual obligations with sponsors?

I couldn't fathom why teams would feel obligated to sign up for so many tournaments. I would assume they choose so many because it might look fairly doable on paper, until they realize how packed their schedules have become. And I'm sure they would feel a bit frustrated by missing out on large prize pool tourneys where they could end up thinking they were better than the winner and all that money could be theirs.

I do wonder though if tournament holders will start giving some sort of punishment out to teams (like not letting them join for the next season) who join and then drop out only to be replaced halfway through the tournament. At least when it comes to teams who leave for the reason of a busy schedule. It seems a bit harmful to organizations when teams announce they are dropping out for any reason at all. And by larger teams taking all of those big tournament slots, they are blocking lesser known teams from getting a chance. I think it limits the scene in a way because we do see lesser known teams join the open slots a lot of the time now. It would be nice if more teams started to pop up.

Edit: I have been thinking though, and I kind of wish more American teams would rise up and each different region would kind of resort to region based play, with only real international tourneys being The International and maybe one located in each different region per year. While The International is a huge deal with the best of the best, it would be a lot more interesting I think if we hadn't seen most of the teams play each other in previous tournaments that also had the exact same teams in it. Kind of like the Olympics in a way. I'm sure there are drawbacks here that involve each regions scene needing to grow very similarly, but it would be a lot more fun I think. The surprise factor would be a lot more fun then.

Deadly

Edit: I have been thinking though, and I kind of wish more American teams would rise up and each different region would kind of resort to region based play, with only real international tourneys being The International and maybe one located in each different region per year. While The International is a huge deal with the best of the best, it would be a lot more interesting I think if we hadn't seen most of the teams play each other in previous tournaments that also had the exact same teams in it. Kind of like the Olympics in a way. I'm sure there are drawbacks here that involve each regions scene needing to grow very similarly, but it would be a lot more fun I think. The surprise factor would be a lot more fun then.
EG would basically own everyone in NA and it would leave them with like what D2L + The Summit?

domstah

Stupid question, when you deny a creep - do you get any benefit (besides deny xp/gold to the enemy & lane control)?

I could have sworn I heard a caster say that there was a benefit - that's one of the reasons why Dendi denies so many creeps - but for the life of me I can't remember what it was, and I can't find any mention of it on wikis etc.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No, you don't get anything.

It's solely for control over your opponent.

The only exceptions are heroes with abilities that trigger on a kill, like Necromastery, Sadist, or Bloodrage.

Hylian7

Okay, why does it happen sometimes where items don't build when they are supposed to? In this game I just played as Tinker, at one point I literally had my Ghost Scepter and Eaglesong in my inventory, and they didn't build into Eblade. I waited a minute, dropped Eaglesong and picked it back up and it built.

Big Dog

EG would basically own everyone in NA and it would leave them with like what D2L + The Summit?

Yes that would happen for a bit of time, but my point is that it would cause more north or south american teams to rise up and hopefully reach EG's level one day. And if things were regionalized, then more american tournaments would pop up like maybe a successful Red bull tourney for LA, not that crap in house thing they ran. And maybe a big tournament could go to Texas. And hopefully MLG would bring back their tourney that they held in Columbus two years ago. By splitting each region up, it would help push other teams to rise up and realize there is room for them to live in the pro scene.

kvk1

reluctantly flying out of the country for 3 weeks tomorrow to visit family overseas

during which time I wager i will do nothing but watch competitive all day and post about the games here

smile.gif

sixghost

Here's the hypothetical dota situation I've been running into a lot lately. What should you focus on doing as the support in a 2v1 safelane against an offlaner that you can't zone out or reliably kill. For the sake of argument, lets say you are Witch Doctor supporting a Medusa against a tide/bristle/centaur/timber. If they are greedy and come to lane without much regen, I'll sit there and trade with them to wear through the regen, but sometimes they'll show up with a stout shield, 8 tangos, and a salve. The options are: a) stack the easy camp at the first chance, then pull, b) single pull and pull through, c) gank other lanes

A denies the most experience from the offlaner, especially if you get camps like the ghost or poison guys, but it reduces my experience since it takes a while to clear the stacked camp. It also means the carry is going to be csing under tower constantly. B maximizes experience between me and the carry, but the offlaner is almost certainly going to share the neutral experience, or even steal the creep wave and fuck up the equilibrium. C is risky and solo support ganks can be tough.Worst case scenario leaves me super underleveled with a carry that's bitching about being left alone.

kvk1

Windranger

Powershot travel range increased from 1825 to 2600

Powershot cast point improved from 0.3 to 0

Focus Fire attack speed bonus increased from 400 to 500

God is real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom