• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT8| DOTA Asian Championship (1/27-2/9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

So Asia championship is all the top asian teams and EG. Sounds like a TI5 preview. I wouldve thought Perfect World could spring for more than 250 grand though

Earth Spirit is still OP. Aghamims is sooooo good.

Also, apparently HoN added a 7th item slot that is only for wards... Wtf...

LoL has a kinda similar system, though still fairly different. Being the ward bitch is kinda annoying though, when you can't even get a nice shiny bracer because inventory. TP, boots, wand, random cheap item(urn, medallion, force staff if you're rich) and 2 type of wards is generally your inventory and that's kinda limited. It's especially bad when you want both sentries and dusts(invis heroes) and you have to use smokes from the courier unless someone wants to carry them but generally no one wants to. But eh, that's support's life.

Hylian7

LoL has a kinda similar system, though still fairly different. Being the ward bitch is kinda annoying though, when you can't even get a nice shiny bracer because inventory. TP, boots, wand, random cheap item(urn, medallion, force staff if you're rich) and 2 type of wards is generally your inventory and that's kinda limited. It's especially bad when you want both sentries and dusts(invis heroes) and you have to use smokes from the courier unless someone wants to carry them but generally no one wants to. But eh, that's support's life.
I never really feel like I have much of a slot issue when I play support though. Like you said, my inventory is usually boots, stick/wand, ward (s) if I haven't already placed them, some kind of core item like Mek or Blink, detection depending on the situation, and TPs. Even then usually I can offload wards or detection to someone else if I do have a slot issue. I don't think someone like Spirit Breaker or Storm would object to me giving them my dust against an invis.

Smokes I can carry on my person if I have room, or just use from the courier. That's why they let you do it. I think it is easy to get by with no slot issue a support, you just have to play smartly. These "ward slot" solutions from other games seem like a crutch to me.

sixghost

I never really feel like I have much of a slot issue when I play support though. Like you said, my inventory is usually boots, stick/wand, ward (s) if I haven't already placed them, some kind of core item like Mek or Blink, detection depending on the situation, and TPs. Even then usually I can offload wards or detection to someone else if I do have a slot issue. I don't think someone like Spirit Breaker or Storm would object to me giving them my dust against an invis.

Smokes I can carry on my person if I have room, or just use from the courier. That's why they let you do it. I think it is easy to get by with no slot issue a support, you just have to play smartly. These "ward slot" solutions from other games seem like a crutch to me.

I almost always have slot issues as a support.

I almost always have slot issues as a support.

Ditto. I feel like this is half the reason why the "6" role has become the meta. 4 role supports get so much farm now that they end up not having space for all the support items.

Even with a 4 and 5, the 5 ends up being a bit short for space nearing the 40 minute mark or so (assuming it hasn't been a totally passive farm game.
2 "shit network connections" in a row. fuck.

Not saying it's necessary or anything, but I can't really say having wards not take inventory would be something I'd dislike, just because quite often I am in fact capped by wards. I can sometimes get an item once I've placed the wards, but next time they respawn, need to drop that item back on the courrier for 1-3minutes until I place the wards again. It's not like people fall over themselves to be the ones to buy and place the wards either, so any mechanics that makes the support life is easier tends to be a good change in my book. There's been plenty recently though, but that one would be fine too, even though again, it's not really something that feels necessary.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It depends on the game.

If the other supports are tryhard, I will run into inventory issues with wards, dust, sentries, tp, etc. And frequently, my allies will not be able to afford spare inventory to carry things. Sometimes even a Gem is too much to ask of them.

But, if it's ez game then I just dedicate one slot to wards and play like normal.

As for the "Ward Slot" thing.... the way I see it, it's trying to streamline an outdated but necessary system that they can't just excise. It's clumsy, but that's mostly because the core DotA game is pretty clumsy as well. Like a lot of mechanics, though, clumsy design has resulted in compelling strategic choices (for example, the sacrificing of items for consumables), so I do feel something is being lost when DOTA's competitors add a feature like this. What's next, a dedicated slot for boots? It's like, these games want to retain all the things that made DOTA such a great emergent game, but also want to have the benefit of ground-up design for the mechanics and whatnot. At least for imitators like Heroes of the Storm, they're really starting from a totally different perspective and just mimicking the general direction, rather than retroactively applying design around legacy systems.

Calidor

wtf is wrong with USE servers... so annoying :(

Also WD has become my new favorite hero...I will spam him until I'm bored with it lol:

4ulfZBG.jpg

Before I get deleted, I think Anuxi is a lovely, lovely lady that is technically top notch.

Just think some of her designs ignore the character's aesthetic rather than complimenting it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Finishing a game and seeing the "this game won't be scored due to poor network conditions" when they weren't even bad just caused me to close the game for the night quite prematurely.

i thought this game couldn't get any worse but looks like i was wrong about that. valve is definitely doing something wrong. league of legends doesn't seem to have these problems and it's supposed to have a lot more players

i thought this game couldn't get any worse but looks like i was wrong about that. valve is definitely doing something wrong. league of legends doesn't seem to have these problems and it's supposed to have a lot more players

to be fair, League had issues like this for a long time with EUW servers, and for a few months on US servers as well.

The majority of the issues are the on going DDOS attacks. These attacks just keep getting bigger.

Next year you will see a ton of companies struggle to deal with them as more zombies become available and the attacks continue to scale upwards.

Not to mention there's already a new weak point been discovered that will make attacks even more effective that will also come into play next year.

BeesEight

I've been gone for a week; where is IHL2?

In more topical news, I played a game and won. Then I was informed that it wouldn't count because of server connectivity issues. It feels like I hadn't left at all.

Calidor

The majority of the issues are the on going DDOS attacks. These attacks just keep getting bigger.

Next year you will see a ton of companies struggle to deal with them as more zombies become available and the attacks continue to scale upwards.

Not to mention there's already a new weak point been discovered that will make attacks even more effective that will also come into play next year.

care to explain what is the point of this ddos? I mean botnets can be rented to more profitable uses than ruining my doto

pompidu

Yep my free crappy web host has been getting hit like crazy. Luckily its not anything of importance but having that host server "shut off" is annoying.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
Am I to assume these cosmetics on morph are some sort of bone-white color? If that's true then I would like if the shoulder pieces were made of a water texture instead that sort of flowed off of him like they do now. But the face and wrists are nice!

nah its all the same colour as him, like icy and stuff cept the bracelet will be red and gold, and the horns will have golden tips and red ribbon.

Yeah gonna change up the shoulders, They do move really nice in game though

hurr durr someone posting something negative about valve, better run there to try to damage control before their reputation gets tainted. not like i'm a company apologist or anything. i hope gabe-sama shoves his digital cock up my rectum tonight teehee

it doesn't make any sense for valve to be targeted any more than any other gaming company, unless the bot herders are getting paid by the competition. all i see is excuses and failure to provide an adequate service. if valve doesn't have the capacity to manage the workload they have, either expand the servers or start prioritizing players somehow -- round robin queues, let people who spent more money on hats have priority or something else. at least some people should get to play the game, and with clear rules so people know if they can actually play or not

at the very least, there should either be a notification before you queue for a match or pings that somehow reflect the poor network performance. as it is, people waste 30 min on a game and then it just ends abruptly and poorly. and you can't even tell when you'll be able to play / the servers are fixed

TUSR

Banned
hurr durr someone posting something negative about valve, better run there to try to damage control before their reputation gets tainted. not like i'm a company apologist or anything. i hope gabe-sama shoves his digital cock up my rectum tonight teehee

it doesn't make any sense for valve to be targeted any more than any other gaming company, unless the bot herders are getting paid by the competition. all i see is excuses and failure to provide an adequate service. if valve doesn't have the capacity to manage the workload they have, either expand the servers or start prioritizing players somehow -- round robin queues, let people who spent more money on hats have priority or something else. at least some people should get to play the game, and with clear rules so people know if they can actually play or not

at the very least, there should either be a notification before you queue for a match or pings that somehow reflect the poor network performance. as it is, people waste 30 min on a game and then it just ends abruptly and poorly. and you can't even tell when you'll be able to play / the servers are fixed

what

kvk1

ztz1Ho6.gif

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
ROFL that giff.

I think he's responding to CyborgMatt's post about the DDOS attacks on all the servers.

But you know, he could be talking reddit.
C69EFF7B1B8D5435857A21A8C9ABC8FD771DDD88

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom