• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT8| DOTA Asian Championship (1/27-2/9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

does finishing 1-2 just mean you get to pick your opponent? doesn't look like anything outside of top 8 really matters

No, there seems to be zero advantage to finishing 1st or 8th.

The really interesting matches will be HGT, CDEC, Rave and Ehome fighitng it out for 11th and 12th
UV91a0P.png

HGT is playing: LGD, VG, iG
CDEC has newbee and MVP
Rave has ehome and HR
Ehome has Rave and MVP, Newbee
Tongfu is playing Navi and HR

So pontentially we could have a 5 way tie

Quesa

So any recommendations for games from last night?

Navi vs iG was a great watch for about 20 minutes. It was enlightening to see navi fight off the intense early aggression that makes mumblegaf so dominant in league games. Shows how awareness and positioning (along with some good coordination) can help stave that shit off.

Does C9 have a shot at top 8, or are they pretty much locked into lower bracket?

Yeah, they have 3 games left to play. If they win those and hellraisers lose their last two they can stay up top. Plus they face IG who are also above them so a win there is a lose for IG. C9 has to play EG though... and hellraisers games are easier (tong and rave who shira mentioned are going to be fighting hard so maybe it'll be hard i dunno).

But yeah mathematically totally possible.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/Dota_2_Asia_Championships/Group_Stage

don't know why someone didn't just link this. guess people just want to control the flow of information for some reason. it answers all your question.

they're already top 8, but have some work to do to stay there, with only a .5 game lead on the #9 team.

I think kirby knows about liquipedia. He might be on his phone or something.

Edit: CALLED IT

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Site takes to long to load on my phone at work, reception sucks and I can basically only view text.

word. C9 (6-6) has a 1/2 game lead on LGD (6-7) and a 1-game lead on HGT (5-7) for the 8th spot.

C9 has 3 games left to play. (EG, IG, LGD)
LGD has 2 games left to play. (C9, HGT)
HGT has 3 games left to play. (IG, LGD, VG)

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on LGD to get the #8 position. If they beat C9 in their head-to-head, they'll be up 1/2 game with only HGT to play. C9 will probably go into the game against LGD tied with them after losing to EG. They may even be a half game back, as IG will also be extremely difficult for them to beat.

My prediction: C9 to finish 6-9 (9th place). LGD to finish 7-8 (8th place). HGT to finish 5-10 (12th place).

8th place tie is also possible.

shira

My prediction: C9 to finish 6-9 (9th place). LGD to finish 7-8 (8th place).

Does C9 have a shot at top 8, or are they pretty much locked into lower bracket?

Guess who is the #1 seed vs the #8 seed. RT
sleeping.gif
ai

honestly they might last longer in the lower bracket if they can beat the other lower bracketeers bo1. That way you are on a winning streak at least, not coming off a bo3 loass

Hylian7

When did you pick her? If Brood was already picked then picking CM was pretty dumb

And if Brood was wrecking you why didnt you switch lanes or go roam and gank?

Also lol.

Brood with less than 600 tower damage

Randomed right off the bat.

I only died a couple of times, just had a bunch of close calls. Riki was still farming fine at the end of the day, it was just scary for me the whole time.

*venting post*

fuck dota today.
PA dadules "for FUN XD" ILHBVKVBUIOYVYDBV

the end

You ever wonder if those people who buy shitcan items and say they did it "for fun" are still having fun when they're getting throned?

I have, once. When my whole team went mass dagon. That was fun as shit even though we lost. But dagon is an exception.

You ever wonder if those people who buy shitcan items and say they did it "for fun" are still having fun when they're getting throned?

I have, once. When my whole team went mass dagon. That was fun as shit even though we lost. But dagon is an exception.

I dunno man....it sure as hell wasn't fun throwing a winnable game and defending vs mega creeps for 20 minutes. We had 15k lead at the end of the match and I had some of the best ice paths+ macropyre ever.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1205413181

fallout

Jesus christ this event is long. Better than the TI 3 day crap.
Hm? The group stage at TI4 was about this long and the main event was 4 days (assuming that you count the grand finals being on the last day).

The main difference is that DAC has more teams going from the group stage to the main event, which has to result in a longer main event. Personally, I wish the main event didn't have as many teams in it, as it does lessen the tension of the group stage. I doubt most would agree with me, though.

sumails not that good

-ultrabum 2015

I look forward to see how he performs when EG gets to some more tourney grand finals. As I've said before, I worry about his lack of maturity (in life in general). You can only be so mature at 15, and the pressure of potentially millions riding on your consistency against the very best in the world...

...well I hope he's mentally stronger than most 15 year olds. That's the kind of pressure that bursts pipes of people twice his age and I don't want him to turn into Era or some such. I hope he's more LeBron James than Darko Milicic but it remains to be seen.

Hm? The group stage at TI4 was about this long and the main event was 4 days (assuming that you count the grand finals being on the last day).

The main difference is that DAC has more teams going from the group stage to the main event, which has to result in a longer main event. Personally, I wish the main event didn't have as many teams in it, as it does lessen the tension of the group stage. I doubt most would agree with me, though.

We already had one of the grand finalists set at the end of day 1, that was just stupid. It's the biggest tournament of the year, more teams should be there and it shouldn't be that easy to luck your way into grand finals(not saying Newbee didn't deserve it) by winning 2 BO3's.
I look forward to see how he performs when EG gets to some more tourney grand finals. As I've said before, I worry about his lack of maturity (in life in general). You can only be so mature at 15, and the pressure of potentially millions riding on your consistency against the very best in the world...

...well I hope he's mentally stronger than most 15 year olds. That's the kind of pressure that bursts pipes of people twice his age and I don't want him to turn into Era or some such. I hope he's more LeBron James than Darko Milicic but it remains to be seen.

He's going to make idiotic plays, there's no helping it. I really disliked RTZ at first because his game sense and decision making were laughable, which came with his age. Now he's one of my favorite players, he's matured a lot.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Did some Tinker plays happen in DAC last night?

I ask because my games are full of Tinkers today

He's going to make idiotic plays, there's no helping it. I really disliked RTZ at first because his game sense and decision making were laughable, which came with his age. Now he's one of my favorite players, he's matured a lot.

Yea. Thing is, I don't know how many years Fear and Universe are looking to play. To me SumaiL is a "rebuilding" pickup. A "long range plan", for which you expect to blossom into something great 2 or 3 years from now (or more). I just wonder if EG couldn't have fought a little harder to pick up someone who's strong and experienced *right now*, who is less likely to make really bad decisions where every inch given matters.

This is not to say I have been anything less than impressed with his play. Kid is a marvel. But there are several solo mid players I probably would have wanted to get before him if my goal was to win TI5 and/or TI6. I just really want to see EG do well while Fear and Universe are arguably at the top of their games.

KingKong

Yea. Thing is, I don't know how many years Fear and Universe are looking to play. To me SumaiL is a "rebuilding" pickup. A "long range plan", for which you expect to blossom into something great 2 or 3 years from now (or more). I just wonder if EG couldn't have fought a little harder to pick up someone who's strong and experienced *right now*, who is less likely to make really bad decisions where every inch given matters.

the problem is, who's the strong and experienced NA mid player they'd pick up instead?

fallout

We already had one of the grand finalists set at the end of day 1, that was just stupid. It's the biggest tournament of the year, more teams should be there and it shouldn't be that easy to luck your way into grand finals(not saying Newbee didn't deserve it) by winning 2 BO3's.
I agree that the timing of it was bad, but given the way Newbee was playing, I don't know that another BO3 would have mattered.

Anyway, I was just challenging your assertion that this tournament was really that much longer than TI. I think the DAC setup is probably ideal for tournaments of this size, even if I wish that this group stage mattered more.

ok, who's the strong and experienced mid player they'd pick up? Sumails been killing it in every game

He's 15, he's going to be inconsistent. Yeah, he might blow away all expectations, but you can't rely on a kid when it's all on the line.

And I wish I had a list of available mid players handy because I'm drawing blanks. I don't know if they should have been picked up but both H4nn1 and Sing are strong and experienced mid players, would they make the difference between winning and losing TI? I don't know(H4nn1 seems to be a cancerous teammate), but I think that short term they might have been better solutions.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Geez, you are making me recall the game I went refresh jug. We were 2 sets of rax up, but the shit nearly cost us the game still, it did nothing but drain all my mana. I was able to get a real item and barely closed out the game, but it looked like we lost for a while.

Razzer

He's 15, he's going to be inconsistent. Yeah, he might blow away all expectations, but you can't rely on a kid when it's all on the line.

And I wish I had a list of available mid players handy because I'm drawing blanks. I don't know if they should have been picked up but both H4nn1 and Sing are strong and experienced mid players, would they make the difference between winning and losing TI? I don't know(H4nn1 seems to be a cancerous teammate), but I think that short term they might have been better solutions.

Hell, Sing was kicked off C9 for not being vocal enough in game, and RTZ left because PPD wouldn't let him be vocal (or just ignored him). Granted that was outside of the game and more a drafting thing, but maybe a more passive personality like Sing would fit better.

Even then though, I don't think Sing has improved at the rate the pro scene in general has since TI4. I still love the guy but he ain't as top tier as he was.

Hell, Sing was kicked off C9 for not being vocal enough in game, and RTZ left because PPD wouldn't let him be vocal (or just ignored him). Granted that was outside of the game and more a drafting thing, but maybe a more passive personality like Sing would fit better.

Even then though, I don't think Sing has improved at the rate the pro scene in general has since TI4. I still love the guy but he ain't as top tier as he was.

I hear that, I feel like he's just not that motivated anymore, he had enormous potential but he never seemed to expand his hero pool or actually improve like you said. Maybe he just likes streaming more than actual pro dota(I think Bulldog is in the same boat).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I hear that, I feel like he's just not that motivated anymore, he had enormous potential but he never seemed to expand his hero pool or actually improve like you said. Maybe he just likes streaming more than actual pro dota(I think Bulldog is in the same boat).
Maybe you are onto something, GGA may be sponsoring tinker just to have a streamer team, which is likely good money twitch, who did buy GGA. They don't have to perform great, just have good viewer numbers.

Maybe you are onto something, GGA may be sponsoring tinker just to have a streamer team, which is likely good money twitch, who did buy GGA. They don't have to perform great, just have good viewer numbers.

I wouldn't mind teams like this. I think having those teams that are more 'casual' (for lack of a better term) actually gives some more variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom